John Peter Cassingham was born 27 Jan 1814 in
England. He is the son of Thomas Cassingham (Sr.) and
Phoebe Ford. He was christened in Bilsington, Kent, England on 27 March 1814. He died 15 Nov 1897 at the age of 83 and is buried at Winfrey Cemetery,
Bosworth, Carroll, Missouri.
On 8 Mar 1836, he married Rebecca Robinson in Coshocton
County, Ohio. Rebecca was born 18 Feb 1818 in Delaware and died 13 Jul 1882 at the age of
64. She is buried at Winfrey Cemetery, Bosworth, Carroll, Missouri.
Children of John Peter Cassingham and Rebecca Robinson:
- Louisa B. Cassingham was born about 18 Dec 1836 in Ohio. She died of scrofulous
affection 9 Oct 1853 at the age of 16 in Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio. She was buried 10 Oct
1853 at Adams Mills Cemetery, Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio.
- Mary E. Cassingham was born 9 Feb 1840 in Ohio. She died of consumption 20 Apr
1854 at the age of 14 in Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio. She wis buried 22 Apr 1854 at Adams
Mills Cemetery, Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio.
- Martha Cassingham was born about 1 Mar 1843 in Ohio. She died of scrofulous
consumption 8 Feb 1856 at the age of 12. She was buried 12 Feb 1856 in Adams Mills
Cemetery, Virginia, Coshocton, Ohio.
- Silas Cassingham was born 2 Apr 1844 in Ohio. He died 4 Apr 1844 at the age of 2
- Charles M. Cassingham was born 3 Apr 1846 in Ohio. He died 21 May 1846 at the age
of one and a half months.
- Oren H. Cassingham was born 3 Apr 1846 in Ohio. He died 15 Feb 1904
at the age of 57 in Missouri and is buried at Wharton Cemetery, Carroll County,
- On 24 Mar 1866, he married Sarah E. Brooks in Pageville, Meigs, Ohio.
She is the daughter of William Brooks. Sarah was born 16 Mar 1846 in Ohio. She died 22 Jan 1920 at age 73 and is
buried at Wharton Cemetery, Carroll County, Missouri.
- John Robinson Cassingham (Sr.) was born 7 May 1849 in
Dresden, Muskingum, Ohio.
- Phoebe Catherine Cassingham was born 25 Sep 1855 in
According to Dick and Eleanor Weiss, Rebecca Robinson is actually Rebecca Bice, the
daughter of John Nelson Bice and Mary Robinson. However, Rebecca's marriage record clearly
lists her name as Robinson. But her father had re-married sometime before 1831 -- before
she married John Cassingham. Is it possible that Rebecca, for whatever reason, was raised
by her maternal grandparents and therefore was accustomed to using their last
name as her own? If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear from you.
- Christening from "England, Births and
Christenings, 1538-1975" [name: John Cassingham; gender: Male;
baptism/christening date: 27 Mar 1814; baptism/christening place: Bislington,
Kent, England; father's name: Thomas Cassingham; mother's name: Phebe;
indexing project (batch) number: I00655-0; system origin: England-EASy;
source film number: 1785996; reference number: it1 p2].
- Marriage from Marriages of Coshocton County Ohio --
1811-1930 [FHC film # 895285].
Louisa: Birth, Death and Burial from Cemetery Records of Coshocton
County, Ohio [FHC film #928174].
Mary: Birth, Death and Burial from Cemetery Records of Coshocton
County, Ohio [FHC film #928174].
Oren: Death from the Civil War Pension Index. The handwritten form is hard to
read but seems to indicate a death of 21 Feb 1905.
The individuals in this family appear in the following census listings.
- John Peter (presumed): 1820 Census.
Madison, Muskingum, Ohio. Page 135.
- John Peter (presumed): 1830 Census.
Madison, Muskingum, Ohio. Page 343.
- 1840 Census. Dresden, Muskingum, Ohio.
- 1850 Census. Virginia, Coshocton,
Ohio. Page 107.
- 1860 Census. Scipio, Meigs, Ohio. Page
- 1870 Census. Scipio, Meigs, Ohio. Page
- Oren & Sarah: 1870 Census. Scipio,
Meigs, Ohio. Page 309.
- 1880 Census. Wood, Carroll, Missouri.
- Oren & Sarah: 1880 Census. Wood,
Carroll, Missouri. Page 339.