Conn family of Essex
The Conn families of
The earliest mention of the Conn
family in the Essex area was in 1677 with the birth of Edmund the
son of John Con at Stapleford Tawney (IGI). Whilst tentative
family links can be made in this early period, it isn't until
1743 that genuine family connections have been made. The villages
of Stapleford Tawney, Greensted and Stanford Rivers are all
within a couple of miles of one another, whilst Ongar and Norton
Mandeville are about 5 miles away. Some 15 miles to the south are
Hornchurch and Upminster. Although I have divided these families
into three groups, it seems likely that they all have a common
17 Mar 1677. Bap of Edmund the son
of John Con of Stapleford Tawney.
1680. bap of Francis the son of John Con of Stapleford Tawney.
11 Mar 1716. Bap of Elizabeth the daughter of Edmund and
Elizabeth Conn of Greensted.
10 Nov 1717. Bap of Edmund the son of Edmund and Elizabeth Conn
13 Sep 1719. Bap of Mary the daughter of Edmund and Elizabeth
Conn of Greensted.
18 Oct 1724. Bap of Francis the son of Edmund and Elizabeth Conn
Edward (Edmund) Conn
married Sarah Lucas at High Ongar on 23 Jan 1743.
In the IGI Edmund is the usual name given, although
Edmond or Edward are used. He is called Edward at his marriage to
both Sarah and to Ann.
They had 5 children:-
- Ann. Bap 23 Dec 1744 at Stanford Rivers. Ann had two
illegitimate sons called Robert (bi 17 Mar 1765) and
William (c 9 Feb 1772)
- Francis. Bap 28 Feb 1747 at Stanford Rivers.
- Samuel, bap 1750, Stanford Rivers, and bu 28 Mar 1838.
- Edward. Bap 8 Mar 1753 at Stanford Rivers. Married
Susanna Wright 18 Nov 1771 at Greensted. Two sons:-
Samuel (1772) anf David (1777).
- John. Bap. 17 Oct 1756 at Stanford Rivers.
Edward (Edmund) Conn married Ann, date
It looks as if Sarah died after
1756 and Edward married Ann and had 3 further children
- Sarah. Bap 12 Aug 1759 at Stanford Rivers.
- Robert. Bap 29 May 1763 at Stanford
Rivers. Died Sept 1764.
- John. Bap 24 Jan 1773 at Stanford Rivers.
Died 9 Aug 1773.
Samuel Conn (1750-1838)
married Hannah Doe (1750-1833) at Stanford Rivers, 13 Aug 1775.
They had 5 children.
- Samuel, bap. 24 Dec 1775 at Stanford Rivers, bu 11 Oct
- Sarah bap 1778 at Stanford Rivers
- John bap 1779 at High Ongar, bu 1 Jan 1865
- Ann bap 1784 at High Ongar
- William bap 23 Aug 1789 at High Ongar, bu 13 Feb 1791.
The two main family lines are the descendants
of Samuel Conn and of John Conn. Each will be dealt with
separately. A third family line commencing with William Conn in
1799 at Upminster can also be found, although how he is related
to Samuel or John is not known.