Wallace Bios and Obituaries
JOHN WALLACE (1760-1832) Served in Patterson Bell's 8th Battallion of the Chester County Pennsylvania Militia,in Captain David Denny's 5th Company as a private from June 18, 1777 to May 1778 during the Revolutionary War. His wife Margaret received a pension for his service. The nearby Battle of the Brandywine was fought on September 11, 1777 and the Battle of Germantown occurred on October 4th, 1777. The Pennsylvania Militia, under the command of General John Armstrong, was involved in action at both. The British victory at Germantown left the revolutionary capital, Philadelphia, undefended. The British would hold the city until June 1778. The Continental Congress was forced to relocate to nearby Lancaster, PA and then on to York, PA.
John removed from York County to Washington County about 1804 and a year later to Putney Twp, Belmont County, Ohio. He then settled in Moorefield Twp, Harrison County, Ohio in 1822 and stayed until his death 10 years later.
REV. WILLIAM WALLACE, son of John and Margaret (Anderson) Wallace, was born in Chester County, Pa., March 17, 1787. He finished his Academic education at Jefferson College, Pa.; studied Theology under the direction of James Hervey, D.D., and was licensed to preach the Gospel by the Presbytery of Steubenville, in the Spring of 1821. He entered the service of his Divine Master as a domestic Missionary, going through the new settlements of Eastern Ohio, and hunting up families of the Presbyterian order, and when finding one or more such families in any destitute place, he would publish a notice for preaching at some convenient point, and in this way was instrumental in gathering up and forming nuclei from which have arisen some of our most prominent congregations.
After reporting progress to Presbytery, he was appointed chairman of a Committee that organized several churches in this territory, and among them the Churches of Nottingham and Freeport, and to each of the last named places he gave one half of his labors for eighteen years, until his health so failed, that he was compelled to resign his charge in 1839, and after two years of increasing infirmities, he died of heart disease, Dec. 18, 1841, in the 55th year of his age; having spent twenty years in the work of the ministry. His last moments were full of comfort, and his faith strong in Christ and the promises; thus he passed from earth with a holy calmness, and a full confidence of a blessed future.
Mr. Wallace had a reputation of being a man of ardent piety and practical worth. He was modest and retiring in his manners, cautious and reserved in expressing the convictions of his mind. His whole ministerial intercourse among his clerical brethren, as among the people of his charge, was but a verifi cation of the Scripture precepts; " Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak and slow to wrath."
He was social in his habits, and never failed to win the hearts and warmest regards of those with whom he mingled in daily walk. His strong holds upon the affections and sympathies of the people, were in the family circle, and at the bedside of the sick and dying. In this connection, his name was still held in grateful remembrance by the older members of this congregation.
He was faithful and successful as a Pastor, mild and amiable as a man and Christian, tender and kind as a parent and husband. As a Preacher he was plain and textual; his sermons were rather expository than topical. He was diligent in his attendance upon the courts of the Church always taking a deep interest in Presbyterical business; although not disposed to be very officious in ecclesiastical meetings, still he was prompt in action, a wise and Judicious presbyter.
He married Miss Mary W., daughter of David McWilliams, who was among the very first of the pioneers on this side the Ohio river. He came from Pennsylvania, and settled on a farm, one-half mile west of St. Clairsville, Ohio, in 1797, where he resided until his death. Mr. McWilliams was one of the first members and elders of the Presbyterian Church of St. Clairsville. Mrs. Wallace survived her husband twenty-eight years. She was a woman of strong mind and great decision of character and energy of purpose, eminently fitted for her situation, both at home and among the people. She. was distinguished for her business tact, and together with her husband, were greatly blessed, and successful in their family discipline; they have eight children yet living, all of whom are good citizens, and influential members of the Church of Christ.
ALEXANDER WALLACE (1805-1861) built the Wallace Mill in 1826 on the family farm. He was the 3rd son of David Wallace and Mary Manifold. His father David (1768-1831) was a farmer and owned an oil mill (1801) and a sawmill (1804). James Wallace also owned a fulling and carding mill (1830) on Rambo Run. Alexander married Deborah Smith and they reared their family of eight children in the stone mansion, seen still standing across from the Mill. Only 2 of their 8 children married, William and Jane Ann (1838-1918). His two unmarried daughters, Mary Angeline and Deborah Eleanor, helped operate the mill for many years. During the Civil War, the shortage of men encouraged women such as these to take an active role in many businesses. Upon his death, they bought the mill and stone manor house from his estate for $2500 and operated it until 1895. William retained the adjoining farm and land that lies further east downstream. Mary Angeline lost her arm in a milling accident about 1870, but continued to work in the mill until the 1890's.
In their declining years, they called upon their sister Jane Ann's only child and son, J. Nelson Cross, (1861-1944) to help them. He worked nearby at Blueball Mill. In 1895, they sold the mill to their sister, Jane Ann Cross. J. Nelson continued to operate it until he died in 1944. When the mill changed hands it became known as the Cross Mill.
James Nelson Cross married Margaret Thompson and had seven children. Their fourth son, Harry E. Cross (1900-1989) helped his father run the mill. He continued to operate it after Nelson died until 1985, when his health failed. Harry and his wife Violet Beatrice Trout had two children. His wife died during birth of their second child. Neither of the children were interested in continuing the milling operation. Harry Cross was a direct descendant (7th Generation) of Alexander Wallace (1699-1765), a Scotch immigrant who bought land in what is now York County from the Indians in 1730 on the site where Guinston Church stands. The church was originally a log structure, later replaced by the stone building, which is located between Laurel and Brogue on Old Forge Road. Wallace and three other men were appointed to lay out a road from Peach Bottom to York in 1752. That road, Route 74, continues to be the main artery between the two communities.
In 1979, Harry gifted the mill to the people of York County. The mill is a national treasure recognized on both the Pennsylvania Inventory of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Sites. (Provided by the Friends of the Wallace-Cross Mill).
Pictures of the Mill.
MRS DEBORAH WALLACE One of the oldest citizens of York County Mrs. Deborah WALLACE, of East Hopewell, died on Friday, Nov. 1st 1889, at 1:25 o'clock a.m., aged 91 years
7 months and 22 days. Mrs. WALLACE was a daughter of Robert and Mary SMITH, of Penncader Hundred, Newcastle county, Delaware. Her parents died when she was ten years old. She then came to live with her uncle, Wm. SMITH, of Hopewell township, York county, Pa. She was married to Alexander WALLACE, March 26, 1826, who died December 21, 1861. She lived the rest of her life with her children, principally with two of her daughters. In her life she was convicted of sin through the preaching of the late Dr. Samuel Martin and others at a revival at Centre Presbyterian church. She then gave herself fully to the service of her Lord, having as she often told her children, experienced the new birth. In all her after life her walk and conversation
were such as became a follower of the meek and lowly Jesus; and now her children rise up and call her blessed, whom she so earnestly taught the religion of Jesus, and for whom she with her husband of blessed memory prayed with and taught them to pray to that same blessed Savior whose praises she is now singing in glory.
She was the mother of eight children - three sons and five daughters, four of whom survive her; also ten grandchildren, eight of whom are yet living, and two great grandchildren.
JAMES CROSS was born in Windsor Township, York County, in 1826, and is the son of James and Elizabeth (Grove) Cross. The father was born in this township in 1787, was reared a farmer,
filled the office of justice of the peace; in 1814 married Elizabeth Grove, who was born in Chanceford Township, in 1787; became the father of two boys and four girls, and died June 9,
1872; his wife died November 15, 1842. James Cross, the grandfather of our subject, was one of the earliest settlers of York County, having taken up from the government the farm on which his
grandson now resides, at a time when the Indians were numerous in the township. He was a prosperous farmer, and served his country in the war of 1812. James Cross, our subject, still
cultivates the farm entered by his grandfather. He was married, in 1859, to Jane Ann Wallace, who was born in Hopewell Township, in 1835, and who is the mother of one son – James Nelson
Cross. The family attend the Guinston United Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. and Mrs. Cross are members.
WILLIAM WALLACE, a retired business man, is a native of Hopewell Township, born in 1822, son of James and Catherine (Gemmil) Wallace. His parents are both natives of this county; the father born in 1789 and the mother in 1800. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. Mr. Wallace began business running a woolen-mill and manufacturing woolen goods, which he continued until 1845. He then engaged in the mercantile business at Freeland, Baltimore Co., Md., where he remained until 1874, when he returned to his native township and there continued merchandising. Mr. Wallace was one of the projectors of the York & Peach Bottom Railway, and in 1874 removed to York and gave his entire attention to this enterprise, acting as secretary and treasurer. This position he held until 1882, when, on account of failing health, he was compelled to resign. He was married, in 1846, to Jennet Gemmil, of Chanceford Township, this county. To them were born three children: James W., Mary A. and Katie A. Mrs. Wallace died September 11, 1881, a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Mr. Wallace is a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the United Presbyterian Church.
From a History of HOPEWELL CENTRE
William Wallace, now a resident of York, in 1849 purchased a tract of land at this place for $13.50 an acre. The same land now and many of the surrounding farms are exceedingly fertile and productive and worth many times their original cost. In 1850 Mr. Wallace secured the establishment of a postoffice, and named it “Hopewell Centre.” He opened a store in 1851 which he conducted until 1874, when his son James W. Wallace succeeded him and is now the proprietor. William Watson was postmaster for a time. A few years ago James W. Wallace was appointed.
In 1825 Capt. James Wallace organized a rifle company, called the Washington Greens, composed of 125 men. They were uniformed in green suits, trimmed with red, and wore a helmet. The members were all from Hopewell. This company continued to exist with a different uniform, but under the same name for nearly half a century. They drilled regularly and are said to have been one of the finest looking companies in the county. Some of the original members belonged to it until it disbanded. The commanding officers at different times were Capts. Wallace, Sampson, Smith, Collins
and Campbell. In 1860 some of the members of the “Washington Greens” and other formed themselves into a company which was called the “Hopewell Centre Guards,” and were commanded by Capt. William Wallace. This company drilled frequently, but eventually thirty-two of the fifty men, which composed it, entered the Union Army, eleven of whom yielded up their lives on the battle fields of our sister State, Virginia, in order that our nation might live. Hopewell Township, as a whole, did well for our country’s cause during the dark times of our civil war.
JAMES W. WALLACE, son of William and Jeannette (Gemmill) Wallace, was born April 26, 1847, in Harford County, Md., where his parents resided, with whom he came to York County, Penn., when only three years old. His parents were born in York County, Penn. Until 1873 he remained on the homestead farming, after which he purchased a merchandising business, formerly owned by his father. In 1882 he built a dwelling house, and in 1884 a store. In connection with the store, he works a farm of ninety-five acres. In 1872 he was married to Sarah A. McCall,
daughter of Matthew McCall, of Fawn Township, and has three children: Margaret J. A., Anna M. and Marion A. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace are members of the United Presbyterian Church of Hopewell. Mr. Wallace was appointed postmaster of Hopewell Centre in 1875, which office he still holds.
ARCHIBALD H. WALLACE
Archie H. Wallace, a resident of Delta, passed away at his home on Tuesday evening. He was the son of William Wallace and Mary Ann Heaps Wallace. He was born in Hopewell township March 16, 1864. He received his education in the public schools of that place. He spent a large portion of his life in Carroll County, Md. where he married his first wife. About 20 years ago he came to Delta, where he spent the remainder of his life. Funeral services were held in Slate Ridge church on Thursday morning conducted by Rev. A. L. Hyde assisted by Rev. B. W. Jones and Rev. B. W.
Kindley. Interment at Slate Ridge cemetery. The pallbearers were six nephews; Joseph Veach, Vernon Veach, Ream Veach, Everett Wallace, Guy Wallace and Mervin Andrews.
Mr. Wallace was a great unassuming citizen with whom everybody sympathized in his great affliction of a lingering death from cancer. He is survived by his wife and one brother, David Wallace of Hopewell and four sisters. Mrs. Veach, Sallie Wallace, Elizabeth Wallace and Mrs. Andrews of Baltimore.
Rev. James Wallace, by W.W. Templeton
The subject of this memoir, Rev. James Walalce, was born in York County, PA on the 10th of November, 1801. He was the son of David and Mary Wallace, the fifth child and second son in a family of eight children, only two of whom survive, viz.: Mrs. Ellen Collins, of Xenia, Ohio, and Mr. David Wallace, of Huntsville, Ohio. His paternal ancestors were of Scottish origin, his grandfather having emigrated from Scotland. His mother, Mary Manifold, was of English descent and of a Quaker family. His parents were members of the Associate Congregation of Guinston, York county, Pa., then under the pastoral care of Rev. James Clarkson, who was somewhat noted as one of the two ministers of the Associate Presbytery of Pennsylvania who dissented from the union with the Reformed Presbyterians, which resulted in the formation of the Associate Reformed Church. His father's business was that of a farmer, and the subject of this notice was employed in this business previous to his entering upon a course of study for the ministry.
HIS EARLY LIFE.
Of his early life and habits little is known, but no doubt he received a careful religious training in his father's family, and that from a child he knew the Holy Scriptures which are able to make one wise-unto salvation. It is related of him, that when a boy working on his father's farm, he would carry his Bible with him to the field, and while his horse was resting he himself would be feeding on the Divine Word. He made a profession cf faith, and connected himself with the Associate Congregation of Guinston, then under the pastoral care of Rev. Alexander Gordon, on the 30t)1 of September, 1819.
HIS EDUCATION FOR THE MINISTRY.
At the earnest solicitation of his pastor, Rev. A. Gordon, he determined to enter upon a course of study for the ministry. He first went to Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa., but, things not being in a satisfactory condition there, he remained but a short time. He then went to Xenia, Ohio, and studied under the tuition of Rev. Thomas Beveridge, then pastor of the Associate Congregation of that place. How long he remained there is not known. After some time he became a student of Jefferson College, Canonsburgh, Pa., where he graduated in the year 1827. He had left college, however, some time before the date of his graduation, on account of ill health.
In October, 1826, he was admitted as a student of Theology by the Associate Presbytery of Philadelphia, and was placed under the care of Rev. Alexander Bullions, of Cambridge, N. Y. In 1829 he had preached twice before the Presbytery of Philadelphia. The presbytery of Cambridge reported to Synod in 1830, that David Gordon and James Wallace had studied four seasons under the care of Presbytery.
At the meeting of Synod in Philadelphia in May, 1830, he, with other students, united with the Synod in public solemn covenanting. On the 9th of July following, he was licensed to preach the gospel by the Presbytery of Philadelphia. Several months of the year following were spent in fulfilling appointments in the Presbytery of the Carolinas, embracing the States of North and South Carolina. This journey was performed on horseback, and was one of considerable diff1culty on account of bridgeless streams and high waters.
HIS CALL AND SETTLEMENT.
The next year he was assigned to the Presbytery of Miami, from November to February. In 1832, this Presbytery reported to Synod a call for James Wallace from the congregation of Darby, and a few families in and near Bellefontaine, Ohio. The latter congregation consisted at that time of six or seven families, and sixteen members. There were competing calls from the congregations of Service and Kings Creek, in the Presbytery of Chartiers, and from Newcastle, Neshannock, and Mount Prospect, in the Presbytery of Ohio. He accepted the call from Darby and Bellefontaine, although the others, being older congregations, were in many respects more desirable. He was ordained and installed on the 25th of October, 1832, in Samuel Robinson's barn, in the bounds of the Darby congregation. The call from Bellefontaine was for onefifth of his time, and pledged a salary of seventy-five dollars. The Bellefontaine congregation increased rapidly, so that they were soon able to take one-half of their pastor's time. The majority of the members having settled in the vicinity of Cherokee Creek and village, the name of the congregation was changed to Cherokee. In this branch of the charge, the pastor fixed his residence.
LABORS AND CHANGES.
This was a settlement that involved no small amount of labor. The distance from his home to Darby was about thirty miles. As he preached in each place on alternate Sabbaths, it involved a journey between the places once a week. This journey was performed on horseback, in all sorts of weather and over the worst of roads; yet the writer has never heard that he ever disappointed the people in either branch of the charge, by failing to be present. But his pastoral labors were not his only labors. Having some means he purchased a tract of land and settled upon it in the woods. He had not only to preach and visit and catechise, but to clear up a farm. His salary never exceeded $300 per annum, and sometimes that was not paid. Without the farm he could not have supported his family. It was his habit to spend a part of his time in labor upon the farm, but not to the neglect of ministerial duty. When he worked, he worked with all his might so that he would do as much in one hour as most men would in two. .
After serving the Darby congregation for seven years, he was released from that branch of the charge in 1839, "in order that he might give all his time to Cherokee and connections." The union was dissolved at the instance of the Cherokee congregation, which desired an increased amount of the pastor's time. Three-fourths of his time was given to Cherokee, and the remainder to the connections. For some time he supplied the Associate congregation of Kenton one-fourth of the time. This place was twenty miles from his home. Other places far and near claimed a share of his labors. Like Paul he was in journeys oft, and in labors more abundant than many others. How long he ministered to the Kenton congregation, is not known. It was probably about ten years. In 1850 the congregation of Cherokee took all his time, at a salary of $300 per annum.
RELEASE FROM HIS CHARGE.
About the year 1856, not being in good health, he offered the resignation of his pastoral charge of the Huntsville congregation, as it was now called. The congregation remonstrated and offered him a rest from pastoral labor. The resignation was not accepted, but with the consent of the congregation, he spent some time in visiting old scenes and old friends in the east. His health being somewhat improved, he continued his pastoral labor till 1861. At a meeting of the Presbytery of Sidney (U. P.) at Urbana, October 2d, 1860, he made a tender to Presbytery of the pastoral charge of the Huntsville congregation, assigning as reasons, his age and failing strength. Final action on this paper was deferred till the next meeting of Presbytery, and the clerk was directed to notify the congregation. At the next meeting of Presbytery, held in Huntsville, April 1oth, 1861, Mr. Wallace though somewhat better in health, still insisted on being released. The congregation consenting, the relation was dissolved with great reluctance, but at the same time with a feeling of gratification on the part of Presbytery that the relation had existed so long, and in the main so happily, and that the best of feeling still existed between them.
HIS PASTORAL WORK.
Though he was not what is termed a popular preacher, he was not by any means an unsuccessful pastor. His congregation in Logan county, which began with only sixteen members, increased in a few years to about one hundred and fifty. Much of this increase, however, was by immigration. His influence over the people of his charge, and especially the young people, was most salutary. The young people generally connected themselves with the church on coming to adult years, and with few exceptions conducted themselves in a manner becoming their profession. There was no Sab bath-school in the congregation for some years, yet it is believed that the children of that day were as well instructed in the principles of religion and the doctrines of the Church, if not better, than those of the present generation. A Sabbath-school was organized by the Session May 5, 1858, which continued in a flourishing condition to the end of his pastorate.
His method of pastoral work was somewhat as follows : One year he would visit all the families of his charge pastorally from house to house, and the next year he would hold diets of catechising, in which several families in a district of the congregation would be gathered together. This plan he kept up to the end. In all these exercises special- attention was given to the lambs of the flock. Beside this he met with the young people of the congregation about once a month on a week day, for the purpose of instructing and catechising them. At these meetings he would sometimes deliver a short lecture on a portion of the Confession of Faith, or some Scripture truth, and then catechise them on it. Sometimes he would give the older ones written work to do, by giving them written questions, to which they furnished written answers at the next meeting.
HIS PREACHING AND MORE PUBLIC DUTIES.
In his preaching there was no attempt at oratorical display; no attempt at the use of fine language, but a plain and simple proclamation of the great truths of the Gospel in language that all could understand. It was eminently Scriptural and expository; full of the marrow of the Gospel, and was always edifying to the godly. There was milk, for babes and strong meat for men of full growth. He never used a text by way of accommodation, or as a starting point for an essay, but.the whole sermon was an illustration of the text and a practical enforcement of it. His preaching was full of Scripture proof, which he read from his pocket Bible, which was always at hand.
He was diligent and faithful in attending on the meetings of church courts. This was much more difficult in the early part of his ministry, in a new country, than it is now. The boundaries of Presbytery were extensive, and attendance on its meetings sometimes required long journeys over bad roads. He seldom failed to attend the meeting of Synod, though it sometimes met as far away as at Philadelphia, requiring a long journey on horseback, and an absence of five or six weeks.
On the 30th of September, 1833, he was united in marriage to Miss Jane Pollock, daughter of the late William Pollock, of Washington county, Pa. She was a woman of a most sweet and gentle disposition, and was loved by all who knew her. In her he had a companion who was truly a help meet for him. She became the mother of five children, three sons and two daughters. She also took into her family a motherless girl, when nine months old, and brought her up with her own children—this last is now the wife of Dr. J. S. Dodds, New Texas, Pa.
The children are all living except the eldest son, William Pollock Wallace, whose body sleeps beneath the sod of the Soldiers' Cemetery, at Knoxville, Tenn. William was a young man of much promise. Like many of our best young men, l1e thought it his duty to go to the defence of the country in her hour of peril. In 1862 he enlisted in Company D, 145t*1 regiment O. V. I., Captain Robert Dow, and was made orderly sergeant. At the battle of Knoxville, on the 18th of November, 1863, when Longstreet endeavored to drive our troops from their position at that place, he received a rifle ball through the body, inflicting a mortal wound. which terminated his life eleven days afterwards—having almost completed his 28th year. This was a sad blow to his father, but recognizing the hand of God and the will of his heavenly Father he submitted without a murmur. He afterwards visited the spot where the body was buried, and placed a monument over the grave.
His mother, however, was spared this pain, for she herself was removed from the vale of tears to that better land where all tears are wiped away, before her son gave up his life. After a lingering illness, which was patiently borne, she entered into rest on the 14th of September, 1863, in the 54th year of her ageIn the winter of 1866, he again entered the marriage relation. This time he was married to Mrs. Mary A. McKee, widow of the late David McKee, of New Athens, Ohio. She still lives to mourn her great loss.
HIS CLOSING LIFE AND DEATH.
After his release from his pastoral charge, he continued to reside on his farm till some lime after his second marriage. In the fall of 1868, he removed to Chariton, Iowa. His health having very much improved, he thought he could find employment in preaching among the vacancies in the West. He remained in Iowa about a year, when he returned to Ohio. He resided in Bellefontaine most of the time till the fall of 1876, when he removed to Bellecentre, where he remained till his death.
This event occurred on the 3oth of November, 1878, after a very brief illness. He came to the house of the writer on the afternoon of Friday the 29th, apparently in usual health. He complained of nothing except fatigue. He retired early to bed as his custom was. About three o'clock in the morning he was taken with a sudden attack of cholera morbus, to which he was somewhat subject. He was immediately so much prostrated as to be almost entirely helpless. A physician was called, but medical aid was of no avail. He continued to sink till 10 o'clock at night, when, as we have good reason to believe, he entered into that rest that remaineth for the people of God. He passed away without a struggle and seemingly without pain, like a child falling into a peaceful slumber. During his brief illness no conversation could be had with him. He could not speak so as to be understood, and most of the time was in a drowsy state or stupor. A godly life, however, affords more consolation to surviving friends than anything he could have said on his dying bed. Mark the perfect and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace.
HIS DISTINGUISHING TRAITS.
Perhaps the most prominent traits in his character were honesty and sincerity. Of him it might have been said as of Nathaniel of old, behold an Israelite, indeed, in whom is no guile. He was without guile himself and never suspected
A. CHALMERS WALLACE is a scion of the fourth generation of the Wallace family in Harrison County, where he is a successful representative of farm enterprise in his native township of Moorefield. Here he was born on the 26th of September, 1871, a son of Elijah R. and Elizabeth S. (Brokaw) Wallace. Elijah R. Wallace was born in Moorefield Township, this county. on the 16th of March, 1828, and here his death occurred December 23, 1910. He was a son of Allen and Mary (Brown) Wallace, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania, April 15, 1793. a son of John and Margaret (Anderson) Wallace. who were born and reared in York County, that state, where they remained until about the year 1804, when they removed to Washington County, Pennsylvania, but in 1805 they came to Ohio and became pioneer settlers in Pitney Township, Belmont County. There they remained until 1822, when they came to Harrison County, where John Wallace purchased 160 acres of wild land, in section 5, Moorefield Township, where he instituted the development of a pioneer farm and where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives, their four children having been William, Allen. Nancy and Jane. Allen Wallace was about twelve years old at the time of the family immigration to Ohio, and was reared to manhood in Belmont County, where his marriage was solemnized and where he remained until 1822 when he came to Harrison County and purchased the farm, of 160 acres, which later came into the ownership of his son Elijah R., and which continued to be his place of residence until his death, February 21, 1880, his wife having passed away April 12, 1874. and both having been zealous members of the Presbyterian Church, in which he served many years as an elder. They became the parents of eight children—John, Andrew, William, Mary, James, Elijah R., Anderson and Samuel.
Elijah R. Wallace passed his entire life in Moorefield Township, where he eventually came into possession of the fine old home farm on which he was born and on which he remained until the time of his death, his political allegiance having been given to the democratic party and both he and his wife having been zealous members of the Nottingham Presbyterian Church. January 23. 1868, recorded the marriage of Elijah R. Wallace and Miss Elizabeth S. Brokaw, and after his death she remained on the old homestead until she too passed to the life eternal, on the 23rd of February. 1917: Mrs. Wallace was born March 25. 1842, and was a daughter of Abraham and Mary (Guthrie) Brokaw, both of whom passed their entire lives in Ohio, where the respective families were founded in the pioneer days. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace became the parents of six children: Samuel Vincent married Miss Luella
Hayes and they reside in Jefferson County; A. Chalmers, of this review, was the next in order of birth; Mary M. remains with her brother Chalmers on the old homestead; Plummer W. died in infancy; Clara A. died in July, 1893; and Lena B. is the widow of Joshua A. Wallace, who died February 18, 1914, and she still remaining on their old home farm, in Moorefield Township, and her children being four in number—Clara M., David B., William C. and Dean E.
A. Chalmers Wallace is indebted to the public schools of the Village of Moorefield for his early educational discipline, and save for brief intervals he has remained continuously on the old home farm, where he is now conducting a substantial and prosperous enterprise as an agriculturist and stock-grower, with a finely improved farm property of 170 acres, owned jointly by him and his sister Mary M., who presides over the domestic economies and social affairs of the attractive home, both she and her brother being unmarried, and both holding membership in the Nottingham Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Wallace holds affiliation with the democratic party and as a citizen he takes deep interest in all things touching the welfare of his native township and county.
JAMES S. WALLACE who is one of the able exponents of farm industry in his native township of Moorefield, Harrison County, bears a name to which attaches the highest of honors, as well as much distinction in this section of the state of Ohio, by reason of the faithful and exalted service of his grandfather, Rev. William Wallace, an able and revered clergyman of the Presbyterian Church and one of its pioneer representatives of central eastern Ohio. Rev. William Wallace was born in
To the district schools of his native township James S. Wallace is indebted for his early education, which was supplemented by his attending
On the 29th of August, 1895, Mr. Wallace was united in marriage to Mrs. Alice (
WILLIAM POLLOCK WALLACE