(or how the Greeks colluded with Col
Esterol to concoct the Richmond diet)
Comino’s Oyster Saloon, aka
The Sydney Oyster Saloon, 11 Woodlark Street, Lismore, 1904.
This was the first Greek feedlot on the North Coast of NSW, opened
by the Kytherian, Panagiotis Emmanuel Kominos (Giraldis), in early 1903. The
site was redeveloped in 1915 with the erection of the three-storey ‘Maloney
Building’, still the most interesting building in Lismore and now in the
hands of Peter Coronakes. (And the area of the street in front remains a
designated taxi stand - sometime during WW1 Athena Andrulakis became
a taxi proprietor, owning
up to three horse-drawn
‘hansom cabs’ licensed to operate from this Woodlark stand.)
[Courtesy Richmond River Historical Society –
Dawson Forbes Collection.]
The research for this story looks like it’ll go on
forever. So pending a cure for investigation procrastination this interim summary has been put together from old notes collected over the past few years.
Depending on feedback, the wider story will give a more detailed account
of the Lismore cafe mafia as well as expanding on Greek machinations in
the other regional towns.
the appeal for the Greek story at
‘Aliens of the Tweed and Brunswick’,
can contribute with
corrections/additions/photos/whatever, please contact
© 2008 Peter Tsicalas
All rights reserved etc.
This site established 21Jan2008 and
last updated 8May2010.
But wef 23May2018 it was all superseded by an updated
CD, published by the Brunswick Valley Historical Society after minor
Tinkering and Tweaking.
For a copy send $10 (+ postage) to BVHS at PO Box 378,
Mullumbimby, or email
email@example.com . (For further details visit BVHS website at