Bay of Plenty Times, 15 July 1903, page 2
"Fire. Thames, Tuesday, The Theatre Royal Hotel at the corner of Owen and Williamson Streets, Grahamstown, was totally destroyed by fire yesterday evening; the fire originated through a defective flue.
A good deal of the downstairs furniture was saved.
The property in the vicinity escaped damage, but very little was saved from the upper story of the hotel.
Most of the boarders and servants effects were destroyed.
The building was insured for 1700 (pounds) and the furniture was also insured."