have been quite a few people bearing the name Attwood or Atwood who are worthy
of note in some way. To qualify for inclusion on my list the individual needs to
be both dead (on the basis that if they are still living they can create their
own web page!) and simply to have been "noted" in a published
reference. Additions are welcome.
you find this site of use or would like to make any comments please
on January 25th 1791, at Halesowen, Worcestershire. Died 24th February
1875 Hollywood House, near Wolsingham.
Younger brother of Thomas
In 1844 he set about the production of Iron and
Steel products that were to be the foundation of Tow Law. With a
combination of luck and his background both in the Iron and Glass trades
he developed a major industry here in the West of County Durham.
Follow link to a biography of Charles
Attwood - the early history is a little suspect!
Martin-in-the-Fields, London: 23 November 1765
Died, Chelsea, London, 24
The son of a coal merchant, who was also a
noted player of the trumpet and viola. As a chorister in the Chapel Royal
the young Thomas Attwood came under the notice of the Prince of Wales
(later George IV) who sent him to study in Italy. Later, in Vienna, he
became Mozart's only English pupil. In 1796 he was appointed to organist
of St Paul's Cathedral and composer to the Chapel Royal. He was music
teacher to several members of the royal family; in 1821 he became organist
of George IV's private chapel at Brighton, and in 1825
musician-in-ordinary to the King. He was one of the first Professors of
the Royal Academy of Music on its foundation in 1823.
He was a founder member of the Philharmonic Society in 1813, and one of
the first Englishmen to recognise the genius of Mendelssohn, whose Three
Preludes and Fugues for organ were dedicated to him.
In his early years he composed for the theatre, and did not write
church music until fairly late in life. His church music was collected and
published in 1853 by his godson Thomas Attwood Walmisley.
In addition to many songs, glees and sonatas, he wrote coronation
anthems for George IV and William IV, and at the time of his death was at
work on one for Queen Victoria. He is buried under the organ in St Paul's
portraits, still life and interiors, largely in oils.
Harry Nelson Atwood
November 1883 in Roxbury, Massachusetts died July 14, 1967 in Murphy,
Famously in 1911 - Harry
N. Atwood landed an airplane on the lawn of the White House to accept an
award from U.S. President William Taft.
For biography and
some links go to Early
Died, July, 1807,
Westminster, London, England
Margaret's Church, Westminster, London, England
"The National Dictionary of Biography Vol. 1" Oxford University
(1746-1807), a distinguished mathematician, was born in 1746, entered
Westminster school in 1759, Trinity College Cambridge 1765. BA 1769 ... He
died at his house in Westminster in July 1769 aged 61, and is buried at
St. Margaret's Church, Westminster. Invented Atwood's Machine."
"Haydn's Dictionary Of Dates", by Benjamin Vincent, Edward
Moxon and Co, Dover Street, London, 1868:
MACHINE, for proving the laws of accelerated motion by the falling of
weights, invented by George Attwood; described 1784: he died 11 July,
Harrison Henry Attwood
1863 - 1954
Massachusetts; born at the home of his grandmother in North Londonderry,
Vt., August 26, 1863; attended the public schools of Boston, Mass.;
studied architecture and engaged in that profession in Boston, Mass.;
member of the Massachusetts house of representatives 1887-1889; city
architect of Boston in 1889 and 1890; member of the Republican State
committee 1887-1889; member and secretary of the Boston Republican city
committee 1888-1894; delegate to the Republican National Conventions in
1888 and 1892; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-fourth Congress (March
4, 1895-March 3, 1897); unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1896 to
the Fifty-fifth Congress; resumed his former profession in Boston; again a
member of the Massachusetts house of representatives in 1915, 1917, 1918,
1923, 1924, 1927, and 1928; was an unsuccessful candidate for election in
1918 to the Sixty-sixth Congress; resumed his profession as an architect
in Boston, Mass.; moved to Wellesley Hills, Mass., in April 1938; died in
Boston, Mass., October 22, 1954; interment in Forest Hills Cemetery.
John (Peter) Atwood
Sentenced to death for his "Sacerdotal character", reprieved by
Atwood, John[name in religion Peter]
(1643-1712), Dominican friar, was born in
Warwickshire. His mother's maiden name was Pitts, a name he adopted later
as an alias. He was a pupil at St Omer in the Spanish Netherlands, in the
Jesuit college founded by Father Robert Persons for the education of
English Catholic youths. He entered the Dominican order and was professed
at the English Dominican priory at Bornhem, near Antwerp, on 4 February
1664. Having completed his studies in philosophy he went on to Louvain to
study theology in 1666. He was ordained priest in May 1669 and returned to
Bornhem until 1673. In that year he was working in London, where he
remained for most of his active priestly life. On 23 October 1680 he was
arrested on the evidence of Thomas Dangerfield, an associate of Titus
Oates, and imprisoned on the grounds of involvement in the Popish Plot.
Atwood was tried before the king's bench on 8 February 1681 and condemned
for his priesthood on the testimony of Dangerfield and Oates. On 10
February he was sentenced to death for treason, a judgment which he
received ‘very contentedly’ (Luttrell, 1.67). He was one of eleven
English Dominicans cited as conspirators by Oates and his confederates. On
15 February 1681 Atwood was reprieved by Charles II, allegedly as he was
about to step onto the hurdle which was to draw him to Tyburn. It is
reported that he felt his failure to suffer martyrdom to be a great
misfortune. He was once more arrested in 1697 and condemned to death but
was released in 1698. He acted as vicar of the English Dominican
provincial from 1697 to 1708. He died in London on 12 August 1712 and was
buried in the churchyard of St Giles-in-the-Fields, London, next to Father
Albert Anderson, who had also been accused and tried for association with
the Popish Plot in 1681.
C. F. R. Palmer, Obituary notices of the friary
preachers, or Dominicans, of the English province, from … 1650
(1884), 9 · W. Gumbley, Obituary notices of the English Dominicans
from 1555 to 1952 (1955), 50–51 · Dominicana, Catholic RS,
25 (1925), 108, 110, 129, 138, 146, 174 [incl. ‘Letters of Philip,
Cardinal Howard’, and ‘English Dominican books and papers’] · N.
Luttrell, A brief historical relation of state affairs from September
1678 to April 1714, 1 (1857), 57, 67 · J. W. Willis-Bund, A
selection of cases from the state trials, 2 vols. (1879–82), 2.1156
· R. Challoner, Memoirs of missionary priests, ed. J. H. Pollen,
rev. edn (1924), 583
Died 1793, in The
King's Bench Prison, in reduced circumstances.
Chief Justice of
the Island of Dominica.
Born in England
and Chief Justice of New York.
Charles B. Atwood
Born, 18 May
1849, Charlestown, Mass.
Died 19 December
Architect. Designer in Chief, 1891-93, Chicago World's Fair.
march 1838, Pembroke, NY
Died, 26 October
Universalist Clergyman, Editor and Teacher.
Born, 1 October
Died, 24 July
geologist and geographer.
June 1857. Salisbury, Vt.
Died, 10 April
1945, Washington DC.
Episcopal Clergyman. A friend of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
century Jesuit. Studied at the English Jesuit College at Liège. Wrote ten
school treatises, ca. 1710, on scientific, mathematical, and theological
subjects, and the draft of an essay entitled "Liberty and
Property" dating from about 1717-1720.
Worcester in 1719 (Nash's Worcestershire)
"There is an ancient legend of Wolverley
which has been transmitted for centuries. For a long time the Lord of this
Manor was a Norman 'De Bois', in Latin 'de Bosco', and in English
'Attwood' from whom were descended the Attwood's of Trimpley and Wolverley,
whose name is preserved in the name Park Attwood." For
more see "The Legend
of the Swan"
was taken by the Saracens and kept so long in a dungeon that his lady at
home, supposing him to be dead, was about to marry again, when the Knight,
having made a vow to the Virgin to present a large portion of his lands to
the Church of Worcester, was supernaturally liberated from his cell,
whisked through the air, and deposited near his old home, now called Park
Attwood, when, of course, he lost no time in forbidding the banns. The
prisoner’s fetters are still preserved in the Court, as also the
sculptured figure of the warrior which formerly lay in the old
Church" From "Rambles in Worcestershire", by Noakes:
Lyndon Attwood MRCS
10 April 1879
Resident medical officer Royal Free Hospital, London. House surgeon Lock
Hospital, London. Surgeon of National Aid Society in Servo-Turkish
(sic) war 1876, carried on hospital at Belgrade chiefly at his own
expense from 1 Dec 1876 to about 1 April 1877; surgeon with Turkish
ambulance service in Russo-Turkish war 1877, when he was captured by the
Russian cavalry; resided at Carlton Chambers, 8 Regent Street London died
10 April 1879. (from Modern English Biography, Netherton and Worth,
1807 or 1808 died Dulwich Hill, Near London 17th September 1865
son of Mathias Attwood 1780-1851, MP for Whitehaven 1832-47) a merchant in
London. Partner in Bank of Spooner, Attwoods and Co., 27 Gracechurch
Street, London, November 1851-1863, when the business of the firm was
taken over by Messrs Barclay, Bevan, Tritton and Co. Contested Greenwich
10 January 1835, MP for Greenwich 27 July 1837 to 23 June 1842; contested
City of London 28 June 1841, Kinsale 9 July 1841 and Sunderland 17
September 1841; chairman of Steam Navigation Co. died at his residence,
Dulwich Hill near London 17th Sept. 1865. (from Modern English
Biography, Netherton and Worth, Truro, 1908)
1,000 yards in the Serpentine, Hyde park, London for a gold medal
presented by The London Swimming Club against 16 other young men, 7 August
1865, came in third; assisted Beckwith as a teacher of swimming at Lambeth
Baths, 156 Westminster Bridge Road, London, for many years. A tank
performer and professional swimmer known as the man-fish; he was well
known on the continent. Died at Newington Infirmary, London 17 june 1893
(articles in London Illustrated News 12 August 1865, p 147, Era 24 June
1893. (from Modern English Biography, Netherton and Worth, Truro,
Hood (an early Attwood?) A'Oode, A'Wood, A'Ud
discussing the mythical origins of Robin Hood, Peter J. Neville Havens, in
his book "The Forests of England", (Robert Hale and Co, 1976)
is also pointed out that in certain West-Midland shires words prefixed by
a "w" often lose it in pronunciation. Woden - the old Norse god
- would thus have been pronounced in those parts as 'oden' or 'ooden' ...
if we stay with the West-Midland pronunciation it would be well to
remember that 'wood' is pronounced as 'ood' even to this day. Robin Hood
could thus be simply 'Robin of the wood' via Robin a 'ood to Robin
Hood." (Robin or Robert atte Wood).
does point out however that speculation could be endless, but it is an
interesting suggestion nonetheless.
Studley Priory 1493-1520 From: 'Houses of Austin canons: Priory of
Studley', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 94-7.
On 8 November, 1513, Prior Itchington resigned his office. In consequence of some irregularity Bishop Silvester de Gigliis committed the administration and custody of the house, on 4 February, 1514, to Thomas Atwode, prior of Studley, for the term of six
months. From: 'Houses of Austin canons: St Sepulchre, Warwick', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 2 (1908), pp. 97-9.
from British History Online
William de Boys,
Abbot of Evesham 1345-1367 Abbey from: 'Houses of Benedictine monks: Abbey of Evesham', A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 2 (1971), pp. 112-27.
– c. 1346
Captain of the
King's Guard at the Palace of Westminster under King Edward III of
This is taken from "Wikipedia.org" its accuracy
cannot be guaranteed.
He was probably born sometime before 1300 in Coulsdon,
Surrey, England. He was the son of Peter Atte Wode and Alice, who owned
both Hooley House and Wood Place in Surrey. Sir William married a woman
named Juliana, and they had at least three children: Geoffrey Atte Wode,
Richard Atte Wode, and William Atte Wode.
While we do not know when he was knighted, it was at
least by 1341, because by that time he is referred to as Sir William and
is Captain of the King's Guard at the Palace of Westminster, the King's
royal residence in London; members of parliament also met at Westminster
Palace at this time. As a Sergeant at Arms, Sir William was part of the
royal body guard that was composed of about thirty men at that time. It is
not known what events occurred to bring William to King Edward III's
attention for this position, but he must have had some connection through
either friendship or family relations to the royal family.
An interesting anecdote about Sir William's life is
recorded in John Heneage Jesse's Memorials of London (1341):
"In the 14th year of the reign of Edward III, John
Stratford, Archbishop of Canterbury, with a great number of London
bishops, clergy, soldiers, came to the gate of Westminster Palace and
demanded admittance to the chamber where Parliament was assembled. He was
forbidden to enter in the King's name by Sir William Atwood, Captain of
the King's Guard. TheArchbishop was stopped because the followers were not
members. The Archbishop was a member, but the King commended Sir
The Atte Wode lineage can be traced back to about 1204
when Peter de Wyckhurst (an older form of the name Atte Wode) purchased 'Hooley
House' from the Bertan Marten, the Abbot of Chertsey Abbey. Over the next
hundred years, the family added to its land holdings in Surrey and his
father, Peter Atte Wode, purchased the 220 acre estate known as 'Wood
Place' in 1279. The Atte Wode's emerged as one of the new influential
class of yeomen who were becoming substantial land owners in England. In
1318 Sir William and Juliana added to the family's fortune by purchasing
another estate known as 'Beckenham' in Kent.
Two of Sir William's sons, Geoffrey and Richard, also
became Sergeants at Arms to the King. Richard is mentioned in the London
Letter Books for his role in moving the fleet being assembled at London
down the Thames to invade France during the 1346 campaign in the Hundred
E. F. Atwood asserts that Sir William and both of his
sons accompanied the army on their invasion of France, however, his source
for this information is not given. It does seem likely, however, given
their positions as body guards to King Edward. Based on subsequent land
transactions in England, it appears possible that both Sir William and his
son Geoffrey were killed in the French campaign in 1346, (possibly at the
Battle of Crecy), however, this is not certain.
Sir William's grandson, Peter Atte Wode, continued to
expand both the family’s land holdings and its influence by being
appointed a Justice in Eyre; Peter's association with William of Wykeham
who became the Bishop of Winchester and the Chancellor of England
undoubtedly also helped to increase the family's influence.
The Atte Wode family name underwent a number of changes
through the centuries with numerous variations in spelling: in the
earliest records they are known as de Wyckhurst, by about 1300 they were
commonly known as Atte Wode, a name that evolved into the modern version,
Atwood, and finally, some (though not all) family members adopted the
surname Wood in the 1500's.
Atwood, Elijah Francis, Ye Atte Wode Annals, Sisseton, SD:
Atwood publishing Co., June 1928
Jesse, John Heneage, Literary and Historical Memorials
of London, London: R. Bentley, 1847, 2 vols.
Malden, H. E. (Editor), The Victoria History of the
County of Surrey, Victoria County History: 1912, 4 vols. (View online
Manning, Owen & Bray, William, The history and
antiquities of the county of Surrey; compiled from the best and most
authentic historians, valuable records, and manuscripts in the public
offices and libraries, and in private hands. With a fac simile copy of
Domesday, engraved on thirteen plates. By the late Rev. Owen Manning ...
Continued to the present time by William Bray, London: Printed for J.
White, by J. Nichols and son, 1804-14
Sharpe, Reginald (Editor), Calendar of letter-books of
the city of London: 1337-1352, London: Center for Metropolitan History,
A Justice in Eyre for England south of the Trent from 1360-1367.
This is taken from "Wikipedia.org" its accuracy
cannot be guaranteed.
He was probably born in Coulsdon in Surrey (now Greater London) according to Manning and Bray's History of Surrey. The precise date of his birth is not known, but it is presumed to have been sometime before 1325. His father was Geoffrey Atte Wode (Abt 1297-1346), a Sergeant at Arms to Edward III and his mother was Anisia. Peter and his wife, Laurencia, had at least one son who was also named Peter Atte Wode (Bef 1363-aft 1384) who was a Knight of the Shire and married Petronilla.
On 15 Mar 1351 Peter Atte Wode and John De Roulegh along with seven others were appointed as "keepers" to the "joint commission for the peace and for labourers" in Surrey. This commission was formed in several counties in England to provide an enforcement enforcement for new laws that had been enacted to regulate labor and provide for peace after the Black Death decimated the population in 1348-49. On 15 Sep 1351 de Roulegh and Peter Atte Wode were removed from their positions on the commission as a result of complaints of impropriety by fellow commissioners. They were both tried and Peter Atte Wode was found to be innocent of the charges. De Rouglegh, however, was found guilty of extorting money from laborers, sent to prison and fined heavily.
Peter became associated with William of Wykeham (1320-1404). His association with Wykeham undoubtedly enhanced his stature and helped increase his wealth. Jean Froissart (1337-1405), the famed chronicler of medieval England and France, says in his Chronicles (1395):
"At this time reigned a priest called William of Wykeham. This William of Wykeham was so much in favor with the King of England, that everything was done by him, and nothing was done without him."
Peter was jointly appointed a Justice in Eyre south of the Trent along with Wykeham on 13 Jul 1361, a position he held until about 1367. The Eyre Court was created to hear cases involving forest law in the Royal Forests of England. Wykeham eventually became the Bishop of Winchester, and was also the Chancellor of England under both Edward III and Richard II.
William of Wykeham was appointed the King's Commissioner in charge of rebuilding Windsor Castle and Clerk of all the King's Works in his Manors of Henley-on-Thames (Oxfordshire) and Easthampstead (Berkshire). E. F. Atwood has found a reference in the Rotulorum to Peter acquiring a commission to rebuild a portion of Windsor Castle during this period (there is no indication which Rotulorum records were used by Atwood during his research).
The Atte Wode's had been in the employ of King Edward III since at least 1341. By 1346 three members of the Atte Wode family were serving in his royal bodyguard as Sergeants-at-Arms, including his father Geoffrey Atte Wode, his grand father Sir William Atte Wode (who had been knighted by the king), and his uncle Richard Atte Wode. Jesse's Memorials of London describes his grandfather's service to Edward III as Captain of the Guard, and The London Letter Books describe Richard's role in moving the invasion fleet down the Thames in 1345 during the Hundred Years' War with France. Based on Peter's land transactions after the successful campaign in 1346, the Atte Wode's seem to have acquired a considerable amount of wealth during this time. E. F. Atwood speculates that this family's treasure was gained as a result of the English success during the war. Froissart makes this observation in his Chronicles:
After the battle of Caen "...the Englishmen were lords of the town three days and won great riches, the which they sent by barks and barges to Saint-Saviour by the river of Austrehem, two leagues thence, whereas all their navy lay."
In 1346 Peter Atte Wode and his wife Laurencia recorded the first of many land transactions in Sanderstead in Surrey (now Greater London) and surrounding counties. This would begin a long association with the Atwood family in Sanderstead. While he owned land in several locations (including Woodmansterne acquired in 1360 and Chipstead Manor acquired in 1364), it seems likely that Peter lived at Wood Place in Coulsdon, the ancestral home; in 1350, he was licensed by the Bishop to maintain an oratory (a private chapel) at Wood Place.
The precise date of his death is not known, but on 20 Dec 1382 Laurencia, now a widow, founded a chantry at Newark Priory (which was dissolved in 1538) and endowed a mass for the soul of Peter Atte Wode.
Peter amassed a sizeable estate during his lifetime as the scattered records demonstrate, and he stands an example of the emerging new class of wealthy land owners in England who were not members of the aristocracy but grew wealthy through their association with the royal family. His ancestors would continue to acquire land, particularly in Surrey, construct the large manor house known as Sanderstead Court which is depicted in Neal’s Views, continue serve the royal family in a variety of positions, and also become elected as Knights of the Shire.
Atwood, Elijah Francis, Ye Atte Wode Annals, Sisseton, SD: Atwood publishing Co., June 1928
Froissart, Jean, The Chronicles of Froissart, translated by Lord Berners, NY: P. F. Collier & Son, Harvard Classics, 1904-14
Jesse, John Heneage, Literary and Historical Memorials of London, London: R. Bentley, 1847, 2 vols.
Malden, H. E. (Editor), The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, Victoria County History: 1912, 4 vols.
Manning, Owen & Bray, William, The history and antiquities of the county of Surrey; compiled from the best and most authentic historians, valuable records, and manuscripts in the public offices and libraries, and in private hands. With a fac simile copy of Domesday, engraved on thirteen plates. By the late Rev. Owen Manning ... Continued to the present time by William Bray, London: Printed for J. White, by J. Nichols and son, 1804-14
Neal, John Preston, Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, London, W. H. Reid, 1818-1823, 6 vols.
Putnam, Bertha Haven, The Enforcement of the Statute of Labourers, During the First Decade After the Black Death, 1349-1359, New York: Columbia University, 1908, 480 p.
Sharpe, Reginald (Editor), Calendar of letter-books of the city of London: 1337-1352, London: Center for Metropolitan History, 1904
Turner, G. J., "The Justices of the Forest South of Trent," The English Historical Review, vol. 18: pp. 112–116, 1903]]
Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Atte_Wode