Born 17 June 1824 Cocke Co. Tennessee Died 8 Oct 1908 Marble Falls, Burnet Co. Texas Buried Marble Falls City Cemetery

Married 10 Aug 1843 Cocke Co. Tennessee


Born 5 Oct 1824 Cocke Co. Tennessee Died 30 July 1886 Burnet Co. Texas

A BIG THANKS to my sis Nancy for her wonderful editing skills. I so appreciate my big sis and love her very much.

Before reading this presentation, please read the one for Hamilton Yett and Sarah Ann Faubion to get a general understanding of the turmoil going on and how it affected our families.

In the continuing story, which involved our Faubion family from Cocke Co. Tennessee, the following poem was in the obituary of Tilghman Faubion’s son in law, Joseph Frederick Pangle, born 6 Nov 1844 Jefferson Co. Tennessee. He was the husband of Sophronia Elizabeth Faubion born 13 June 1849 Parrottsville, Tennessee. He also was a Confederate soldier who left Tennessee and settled in Texas. After the war these men re-established themselves and were exceptional citizens. It shows the compassion they had for other people when they weren’t involved in war. From the accounts given of our family, I truly believe that our Faubion family was raised in a very loving family by their parents, William Faubion and Rosannah Ayers. But when faced with financial ruin and what they believed, it brought out the worst in some of them.

The obituary and photo were graciously shared by a direct descendant of Sophronia, Leah Walker of Texas.

This poem was written by Sam Walter Foss, and expresses how we should "be a friend of man.” Between the poem and Joseph Pangle’s extraordinary obituary, I think it shows how one man can make a difference in the world. Just think what could be accomplished if we all did the same thing.

“The House by the Side of the Road”

There are hermit souls that live withdrawn In the place of their self-content; There are souls like stars, that dwell apart, In a fellowless firmament; There are pioneer souls that blaze the paths

Where highways never ran- But let me live by the side of the road And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road Where the race of men go by- The men who are good and the men who are bad, As good and as bad as I. I would not sit in the scorner's seat Nor hurl the cynic's ban- Let me live in a house by the side of the road And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road By the side of the highway of life, The men who press with the ardor of hope, The men who are faint with the strife, But I turn not away from their smiles and tears, Both parts of an infinite plan- Let me live in a house by the side of the road And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead, And mountains of wearisome height; That the road passes on through the long afternoon And stretches away to the night. And still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice And weep with the strangers that moan, Nor live in my house by the side of the road Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road, Where the race of men go by- They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong, Wise, foolish - so am I. Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat, Or hurl the cynic's ban? Let me live in my house by the side of the road And be a friend to man.

The combination of events leading up to the War Between the States had been brewing for more than 150 years, and it was a time bomb ready to explode. First one and then the other put the blame on each other for any combination of excuses. The fact is, the causes had been passed down for several generations before it finally showed its ugly head. The basic issues we have mostly been taught are slavery and state’s rights. However, there were many other issues that contributed to it as well, among them self interest and the loss of human dignity.

The consensus for most is that all slavery happened in the South. Once you study what has happened over a course of events in the establishment of our country, you will begin to realize that some of the biggest slave traders were from the North, and they were all lining their pockets with gold. Whether it be in the North or South is basically irrelevant. Our country was founded with not only Black slaves, but White slaves as well. Many of our families were “ indentured servants” sent here from various locations, and all of them were worked to death and treated poorly beyond belief by their rich “masters.” The term “indentured servants” is just another way to phrase White slavery. The purpose of it always leads to one thing, “money.” They needed cheap labor and the British Crown gave large land grants to those who brought women, men, and children here which increased their wealth considerably. Some were able to buy their freedom, while others were confined for life. Does this sound familiar even today?

Our own 1st President, the infamous George Washington, during his presidency smuggled his slaves into Philadelphia through underground tunnels because slavery had been abolished in Pennsylvania. This caused him great embarrassment when one of his female slaves, Ona Judge Staines, escaped and he became infuriated when she tried to bargain with him to release her and her family, which he refused to do. He tried to hunt her down like an animal and she never saw her family again. Now how cruel was that? So the struggle to abolish slavery was going on back in the 1700’s and long before the first shot was ever fired at Ft. Sumter. Is it not contradictory that this President, from the very beginning, who was supposed to uphold the very basics of our founding fathers that “all men were created equal,” and could only apply it to some and not ALL for his own personal financial gain? Many of the histories written about George Washington have been glamorized personifying him as a great leader, but I invite you to take a look at the actual documents and you will get a whole new perspective of this self indulgent and deceptive man. We attribute greatness to war and oppression instead of to kindness? I’m very confused with that kind of thinking. The only reason he gave his slaves their freedom when Martha died was to enhance his own image in history as being a wonderful man. Martha gave them their freedom out of fear they’d kill her after George died. So that made it OK for him to “own” another human being, but made him a great man just because they were released from bondage after they were dead? This was a very rude awakening for me when I made these discoveries, when all of my life I have been taught and believed otherwise. These are facts in actual historical documents, most in Washington’s own handwriting, that are only a drop in the bucket of the other things he was involved in doing. In the majority of our families no one wants the unpleasantries in life to be exposed, so you kept your mouth shut. You were to be seen and not heard, let alone ask questions. Lord help them when I came along!! Miss Blabbermouth Extraordinaire!

The Mason Dixon line was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 over a border dispute with the states of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia (now West Virginia). It now symbolizes a cultural boundary between the North and South, which is marked with stones, some of which are still visible today. These stones bear the coat of arms of the men who were in control of those individual states and were used as a mark of their territory. This term was used during the Missouri Compromise in 1820, during the struggle whether it should be a free or slave state. Bloody wars during the Kansas and Missouri settlements occurred in the 1850’s when both the abolitionists and the slaveholders fought with one another for control. This is how the term “Dixie” got its beginning.

Abolitionist John Brown was hung in 1859 for his raid on Harper’s Ferry Federal arsenal, which had been stockpiled with arms, along with other locations in the South by John B Floyd, Secretary of the War Department. Brown’s goal was to supply arms to the slaves for uprisings in the Southern states, one of the biggest fears of the slaveholders. Some of the men who arrested Brown ended up being Confederate greats of the war; ie, Stonewall Jackson, Robert E Lee. In 1859 John B. Floyd sent future Union General Don Carlos Buell to check the status of the sentiments of the people in South Carolina. Floyd also wanted to see if they needed to move Anderson’s troops to Fort Sumter and check the status of the arms he’d been stockpiling. When it was discovered he had been doing this, he resigned; and after the start of the War, he was given a commission as a Major General for the Confederacy. He left the Confederate battlefield and turned over his command for fear he’d be captured, shipped back to the Union lines and imprisoned or hung for fraud and treason. But was he prosecuted? Never, it was thrown out. Did they know the war was coming? Absolutely.

So these traditions have been embedded into our families' mindset long before this war ever started. The fighting had gone on for years in a struggle to expand their greed and wealth within our own government officials and their rich cronies as the Westward settlement occurred. And on the other side of the coin, the North sought to bring their industrialization to the Southern states for their own financial gain. We have lost sight of what it is to respect each other in the gain of material wealth. These men have perpetuated the “American Dream” and they don’t care who they hurt in the process as long as they can make a buck. The people who have actually built this great Nation are the hard working “slaves” of our families. This is only a small fraction that’s been in motion and passed from generation to generation over the last 300 years. Each of us can change this by our own actions. United we stand, divided we fall - which do you choose? I invite you to study your families if you haven’t in the past. Delve into the existing records and you will soon learn things aren’t the way you thought they were and a new realization will emerge. History does continue to repeat itself until we decide it needs to change and the time is now, as tumultuous times are still prevalent in our world today. Read this site to see how we can change our world. Freedom Force International Watch this video Federal Reserve

It has been this embedded mindset that caused our families to react against each other and brought out the worst in some of them during this horrible war. They were struggling to survive and their economic conditions and the total collapse of it was at stake. This bitter pill even lurks in our thinking today, which keeps us divided. As a result of financial collapse and involvement in unbecoming activities, these families moved and started over. Tilghman Faubion was only one of the many of those men. Relocating doesn’t make it change, it only carries it to another location.

Two accounts are given in our family histories - “Faubion and Allied Families” and “The Faubion’s” written by Tilghman’s daughter, Sarah Tennessee Faubion Pangle - of his life. Sarah was about 6 when her family left Tennessee for Texas and was told by her father the struggles they had gone through. She made a trip back to Tennessee in the 1920’s to investigate her native home and visit family members. We are grateful to Sarah to have written about our families.

One fact I think the family wasn't aware of is that Tilghman did, in fact, enlist in the Confederate Army. I found the document in the National Archives that shows he enlisted on 1 March 1864 in the Confederate 12th Battalion Tennessee Calvary, Company F, as a private. This particular battalion was a part of Rucker’s Legion, along with the 16th of which my 2nd great grandfather, Joseph Whitaker, served in as well. There was only one document for this service, and it doesn’t state whether he was present or not. Many of these documents have either been lost, misplaced, or ended up in another soldier’s file. The family stated in the histories that he never actually served in the Confederate Army. I guess the truth of it will never be known unless other documents surface; however, he did contribute to the support of the Confederacy by supplying them with bacon, corn, and hay to some North Carolina units. These documents were found in the Citizens files of the Confederacy. I find this very interesting because he was delivering these goods to the army in Jonesborough, Tennessee and Asheville, North Carolina. These would have been very dangerous activities with all the Union Army and bushwackers in these locations. I also wonder why he was never conscripted into the Army, which had been mandated by the Confederate States.

Faubion and Allied Families, pages 452 & 453 gives the following account of Tilghman and Margaret:

The youngest son of William and Perthenia, Tilghman grew up near Bridgeport and was the only child still living at home when his father died. He had received 300 acres of land in the Sinking Cane area of the French Broad valued at 1,300 from his father's estate. It was recorded on April 20, 1841 as State Grant No. 23865, Entry No. 1814 (re-registered in 1888, Book B, page 237). In 1843 he and Margaret McSween were married and Tilghman went into the mercantile business in Parrotsville where he and his family lived until after the Civil War. O'Dell, in Over The Misty Blue Hills, lists the early Parrottsville stores of Faubion & McNabb and Faubion & Mims but does not identify Tilghman's. In 1850 Tilghman was Parrottsville's postmaster. He was a successful business man, with a comfortable home, a number of slaves and other property, when the war between the states erupted.

Tilghman did not enter the regular Confederate Army, although his eldest son, James Henry was quick to do so. However, he was a known Confederate sympathizer and aided and abetted the troops until he was captured and sent to Knoxville. He and a group of other men eventually escaped and made their way to North Carolina. When Tilghman learned that James Henry was alive and working in Greenville, South Carolina, he visited him there to discuss moving the family out of Tennessee into Texas where two of Tilghman's brothers already lived. When James Henry agreed to go with him to check out the prospects, he executed a document in Greenville giving his second son, William Jackson, Power of Attorney to collect all notes and monies due him and to sell all of his Cocke County property, (Cocke County, Tennessee Deed Book 017, pages 232-3, executed September 5, 1865 in the Greenville District of South Carolina.)

On September 14, 1865 Tilghman and James Henry started on their journey to Texas. For a time they traveled with other refugees of about forty wagons and a number of horsemen. They soon left the others because of the delays caused by such a large party. When they reached the home of Tilghman's brother William in Gause, Milam County, Texas, William, a merchant and owner of a large cotton plantation with a gin, made Tilghman overseer of the operations. When he had saved money enough to bring the family to Texas, Tilghman quickly sent word back to them.

The family started for Texas on July 1, 1866. They were first to Memphis where they took the steamer W.S. Hughes for New Orleans, Louisiana and on July the 4th they took passage on the steamship William Forsyth for the city of Galveston, Texas; went by train to Houston, then on to Millican, the terminal of the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. There they hired "an old hack not large enough for the entire family so that the older boys had to walk" and by nightfall arrived at Port Sullivan where they spent a restful night - and next day reached their destination. Their accommodations here were very bad and Malaria was so prevalent in this area that Tilghman went to visit his brother John in Williamson County and accepted his offer of a house on a black land farm near Bagdad. Here the family lived while Tilghman continued to work for his brother William and continued to search for a suitable home for his family.

Tilghman had received Patent No. 373 for 391/2 acres of Milam County land from the State of Texas on September 4, 1866 (Vol. A-1, pages 194-195) which he transferred by deed to William in August of 1867 (Vol. A-1, page 216). He had found everything he had been looking for in Burnet County. He moved the family there in 1868. On August 19, 1869, Tilghman bought a 1,080 farm in Pleasant Valley on the north side of the Colorado river (Vol. G, page 184), gave up his position with his brother William, and once again the family was together again. Later he bought land on the south side of the Colorado river and moved his family there in the Fall of 1874, but in about two years, he sold this property to his sons Joseph and Alexander, and built a new home on his Pleasant Valley property. It was here that Margaret died of a sun stroke in 1886.

Margaret grew up in Cocke County, Tennessee. Her father Daniel Murdock McSween had been born on the Isle of Skye, Scotland. The date his parents immigrated to America is not known, but both are buried in the Longstreet Churchyard, Fort Bragg, North Carolina near the Waxhaw Settlement where they lived. Murdock emigrated to Tennessee about the year 1806. Margaret was modest, refined, and a model of patience. She could spin, weave, cook or do anything required of her in the home. She and Tilghman had eight children.

After Margaret died Tilghman married Mrs. Smith in 1899, sold the Pleasant Valley home and bought a home in Marble Falls where he died in 1908. They had no children.


Marble Falls Messenger, 15 Oct 1908 T. A. FAUBION was born June 17, 1824, on the French Broad River, Cocke County, Tennessee. He was married in August, 1843, to MARGARET MCSWEEN, a daughter of Murdock McSween, a native of the Orkney Islands, off the coast of Scotland. The grandparents of T. A. Faubion were from Holland and came from Fauquier County, Va., to the territory known as Franklin, afterwards the State of Tennessee.

Mr. Faubion was engaged in farming until about 1853, then after disposing of his farm, began merchandizing in the town of Parrottsville, Tenn., first in partnership with Malcolm McNabb, later with D. A. Mims, now a prominent banker in Newport, Tenn.

He was engaged in merchandising and farming up to and after the beginning of the Civil War. At the close of the war, having lost all he possessed, slaves, farm, and other property, he decided to come to Texas and start anew. Accompanied by one son he made the long and tedious journey by private conveyance to Texas, arriving at Port Sullivan in Milam county in December, 1865. He rented land from his brother, William, on Little River, and began the task of making another home for his family, who came to him late in the summer of 1866. He bought some land on Little River and began improving it, but on account of sickness he removed his family to Bagdad, Williamson County, --in 1868, where they remained until he bought a tract of land in Burnet county on the Colorado river a few miles from Marble Falls. He also bought a tract of land on the south side of the Colorado river, and lived there several years, but removed to the first tract on Hamilton’s Creek.

In July, 1886 his wife died and he was married to Mrs. M. G. Smith, who survives him. Of the first marriage six sons and two daughters were born, J.H. of Williamson county, W. J., S.H., and J.D. of Burnet county, Alex of Mineral Wells, Texas, and Fred, now in Wyoming, Mrs. J. F. Pangle, deceased, and Mrs. J. B. Pangle of Spicewood.

T. A. Faubion had six brothers and two sisters, all deceased except M. W. Faubion of Salem, Tenn. They all lived to a ripe old age, one of them passing the century mark.

At the time of his death he was living in Marble Falls, where he resided the past five years.

He was noted for his industrious habits, a quiet, law-abiding citizen, doing his share in an humble way to build up his country and to make his home beautiful and comfortable.

He was originally a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, but afterwards united with the M.E. church South, of which he was a member at his death.


Mr. Faubion had been in very bad health for some time before his death and up to the last moment he was given every care that loving hands could administer. His devoted wife remained at his bedside day and night.

His death occurred last Thursday afternoon at 3:55 o’clock. On the following day at 2:30 o’clock the funeral services were held at the residence by Pastor Wilkes of the Methodist Church, and his remains were laid to rest in the City Cemetery, surrounded by many sorrowing friends and relatives.

Peace to his ashes.

Obituary graciously provided by his 3rd great granddaughter, Leah Walker of Texas

Tilghman and Margaret’s two eldest sons:


20 Aug 1844 – 9 June 1930

26th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Company C, CSA

1st Sergeant

History of Texas Biographical History Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee & Burleson Counties Chicago, The Lewis Publish Company 1893, Pg 573 James Henry Faubion, a prominent business man of Williamson county, is a son of T. A. and Margaret (McSween) Faubion. ...

The father of our subject was born, reared and married in that county (Cocke), and remained there until 1865, when he located in Milam County, Texas. He now resides near Marble Falls, Burnet County, and is engaged in agricultural pursuits. While residing in Tennessee he followed merchandising. He is a staunch Democrat, and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

James H Faubion was born in Newport, Cocke County, Tennessee, August 20, 1844. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company C, Twenty-Sixth Tennessee Infantry, and served until the surrender. With 13,000 others, he was captured at the battle of Fort Donelson, spent eight months in Camp Morton prison, was then exchanged, and the regiment was reorganized. Mr. Faubion then participated in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, the Atlanta campaign, returning with Hood to Tennessee, served in the battle of Franklin, and then went into the Carolinas, when the war closed. He held the position of First Sergeant at the time of the surrender.

Our subject came to Texas with his father in 1865

Mr Faubion is a staunch Democrat in political matters,, and in 1884 was elected by his party as Representative of the Seventy eighth district in the Legislature and has held that positiion ever since, with the exception of one term.

Frontier Times Magazine, Texas History

Col. James Henry Faubion, of Leander, Williamson County, farmer, pioneer, statesman, patriot, war prisoner, newspaper man, etc, etc and great Texan. Col. Faubion was born at Newport, Cocke County, Tenn., Aug. 20, 1844, and arrived in Georgetown, Texas, Dec. 24, 1865, coming to TX from Greenville, S. C., after having been paroled from the Confederate army at Kingston, Ga.

Col. Faubion joined the Confederate army immediately on the declaration of war and served throughout that struggle taking part in many of the battles. He was sergeant of Company C, 26th Tennessee Infantry, and is the only survivor of his company when the division was shot to pieces in a number of fights and at one time only a handful escaped and Col. Faubion being one of them joined a pick-up company and followed on in the running battle which followed. He was captured at. Fort Donaldson, Tenn., and was taken to Camp Morton as a prisioner of war, remaining eight months. After the battle of Vicksburg, he was exchanged and re-entered the service. He was again captured at Bluntsville, Tenn., and there he escaped from his guards before reaching prison. He rejoined his regiment and served through the campaign which swept through Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, being the fifth Tennessee regiment at the close of the war.


J Farrbion

Co C 26 Tennessee Inf (3 East Tenn Vols became part of 4 Cons'd Regt Tenn Inf about April 9, 1865 Confederate

Private 1st Sergeant

reference slip cards filed with James H Faubion

Faubion and Allied Families, pg 455

James Henry grew up near the small town of Parrottsville. He was almost 17 when he enlisted in the first Confederate company formed in Cocke County when the war broke out. In April 1861 he enlisted as a private in company C, 26th Tennessee Infantry. He was captured at Fort Donolson on the Cumberland river and sent to Camp Morton, Indiana, where he remained until September 1862 when he was among the prisoners exchanged at Vicksburg, Mississippi. He and his regiment were again mustered into service and took part in all the battles in Middle Tennessee, the Atlanta campaign, and the Franklin and Nashville battles. As the war neared its end, rather than surrender in Tennessee, he and about fifty others made their way to Kingston, Georgia and surrendered there. He was paroled on May 12, 1865, and was working in Greenville, South Carolina when his father came to discuss moving the family to Texas. James Henry accompanied his father to Texas in September 1865, riding on an old army mule all the way while his father traveled in an old buggy. At first they traveled with a large group of people but soon left the group to hurry on ahead. He lived with the family on his Uncle John's place near Bagdad but when his father moved the family to Burnet County, he remained at Bagdad - - and married Margaret Mason in December of that year. In 1870 they moved to Burnet County, but soon returned to Williamson County, and bought a 200 acre farm near Bagdad.

In 1873 he was elected Justice of the Peace and County Commissioner, which included the duties of assessors of taxes and road supervisor. James Henry served as a Constable, a school trustee, and was a pioneer in fine stock raising. He was a horticulturalist, and a newspaper man. At two different times he operated newpapers at Liberty Hill, Leander and Marble Falls. He was a Democrat and in 1885 he was elected to the Texas State Legislature and served through five sessions. In 1904 he was elected to the Texas State Senate from the 78th District representing Williamson, Travis and Burnet Counties. The district was divided later and he continued to represent the 71st District of Williamson County. He served for many years as president of the Old Settlers Association, and was a Colonel in and Commander of the Confederate Veterans of the county. He and his family were staunch members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church


7 Feb 1847 – 31 Jan 1929

26th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Company C, CSA Private

This is a perfect example of how one man’s records ended up in another man’s file. Moses was an entirely different person.


W J Farrbion

Co C 26 Tennessee Inf (3 East Tenn Vols became part of 4 Cons'd Regt Tenn Inf about April 9, 1865 Confederate private

reference slip cards filed with Moses J Faubion

Confederate (in file of Moses J Faubion)

W J Farrbion

Pvt Co C 26 Reg Tenn Infantry

appears on a roll of Prisoners of War at Camp Morton, Ind June, 1862 where captured Fort Donelson when captured Feb 16 1862

Confederate (in file of Moses J Faubion)

W J Farrbion

Pvt Co 26th Reg Tenn

appears on a roll of prisoners of war at Camp Morton, Indiana, roll dated Camp Morton, Ind, Aug 27, 1862 where captured Fort Donelson when captured Feby 16, 1862

Faubion and Allied Families pg 460

William was only fourteen when the War between the States officially began. He had reluctantly stayed at home but when he was sixteen, he set off to join the Confederate troops. He was soon captured by the 10th Michigan Infantry and he was taken to Knoxville then sent to Chattanooga before being transferred to Camp Morton in Indiana, where he was kept until near the end of the war. After he had given oath to support the Constitution of the U. S., he was set free to make his way home as best he could.

Soon after he returned home, he received his father's Power of attorney to act as his agent in collecting notes and monies due, and to sell the Cocke County property. He set about putting the family business and personal affairs in order so they would be ready when his father bid them start for Texas. Soon after they had arrived in Milam County, and settled on the plantation of his Uncle William, he was sickened with Malaria and was seriously ill. Dr. John McSween, his mother's brother, came to see about them and took William back with him to San Antonio where he stayed until his mother and the other children moved to Bagdad in Williamson County to live on their Uncle John Faubion's place.

William became a merchant as his father had been in Tennessee. When Mary died he was left a widow with a house full of children. He devoted his entire time to them and always had time for each and every one. After they were grown he worked for years in "Aunt Sallie & Uncle Brad's store" in Spicewood. (Sarah Faubion Pangle - his sister - and her husband Bradford Pangle.) As he grew old cataracts dimmed his eyes and he became blind. The Frontier Museum in Bandera, Texas exhibits a handmade violin bearing this label: "Made by W. J. Faubion, a blind man, 82 years old, at Leander, Williamson County, Texas, many years ago. Presented by Mrs. J. B. Pangle of Corpus Christi, Texas." It has been written of him that he was "a fine Southern Gentleman - he was that, a Gentle Man."


6 Nov 1844 – 2 Feb 1919

5th Regiment Tennessee Cavalry (McKenzie's), Company H, CSA Private.

Photograph and obituary graciously provided by 2nd great granddaughter, Leah Walker of Texas


Sunday evening, February 2nd, 1919, shortly after six o’clock, Tax Assesor J. F. Pangle, Burnet County’s most popular citizen, following a severe illness of only two or three days’ duration, died at his home in Burnet.

The funeral service was held Monday afternoon, at 4:00 P.M., in the District Court room in the court house and the building, notwithstanding the bad weather, was filled to overflowing with warm friends of deceased from every section of the county. Elder Morgan Morgans, Christian Minister, conducted the service. He was followed by Judge Smith, who paid a glowing tribute to Mr. Pangle as a man and officer. The pall bearers were M. Gibbs, Frank Atkinson, Bunk Gibbs, Austin Kinser, Clain Gibbs, and J. H. Chamberlain.

Interment took place at the Odd Fellow’s Cemetery, at which place W. S. Dillingham of Briggs paid high tributes to Mr. Pangle and J. T. Chamberlain, who was buried only one week previous to Mr. Pangle.

The many friends assembled to pay the last sad rites of respect to Mr. Pangle was the largest crowd ever assembled at a funeral service in Burnet.

The subject of this sketch was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee, November 6th, 1844. He was united in marriage February 5th, 1869, to MISS S. E. FAUBION at Double Horn, in Burnet County. His faithful wife and two children preceded him in death several years ago. The following children survive him: J. C. Pangle and Mrs A. E. Jaques, Mineral Wells, Mrs J. H. Clements, Burnet, Clyde Pangle, Burnet, and Joe Pangle, Jr , Camp Travis.

When a very young man, Mr. Pangle joined the Confederate Army, belonging to Wheeler’s Corps. He saw service in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and North Carolina and participated in many severe battles. It is unnecessary to say Uncle Joe Pangle made a brave and valued soldier. The people of Burnet County know him too well for any doubt to exist in that respect. He participated in the battles of General Bragg’s and General Johnston’s armies, and was discharged from the Confederacy at Kingston, Georgia, at the close of the war.

He came to Texas in 1866 and first settled in Williamson County, where he remained for one year, then moved to Burnet County, where he has resided since, embracing a period of more than half a century. In 1888 he was elected Sheriff and Tax Collector of Burnet County, which office he held until these two offices separated, when he was elected Tax Collector. After a few years he voluntarily retired from this office and moved to Marble Falls. He was next elected County Commissioner of that precinct and later was again elected Tax Assessor, which office he held at the time of his death. In all, Mr. Pangle held office in Burnet County almost 30 years, and he never suffered defeat, although upon numerous occasions he has had some of the strongest men in Burnet County pitted against him.

Decedent was one of the kindest hearted men that ever resided in Burnet County. No matter who got into trouble or distress Uncle Joe was always ready to extend a helping hand. It was very probable that he has given away more money and done more deeds of kindness than any man in the County. He was a kind and devoted husband, loving and forebearing father, an obliging and cordial neighbor, a faithful and steadfast friend, a courageous and poplar citizen.

This writer has heard people express wonder at Uncle Joe’s ability to make and keep friends THERE WAS NO SECRET TO IT—HE WAS THE “FRIEND OF MAN.” I remember very distinctly the first time I ever met Mr. Pangle in a personal way. It was about 27 years ago and I was a lad of a boy. I knew him by sight, but up to that time I very much doubt if I had ever spoken to a county officer in my life. I was a bashful country boy. Upon one of my visits to town Uncle Joe met me on the street and detained me with a few words, asking me my name; if I was John Chamberlain’s son, how my father was, and perhaps a little further conversation. I thought in my boyish way that he had the most kindly eyes and winning ways of any man I ever met. From that day he always knew me and I appreciated it. He never asked me to vote for him in his life. Such acts as above are the key to Mr. Pangle’s popularity. He was never so busy as to slight the young and pass by the old. Some people may not think it worth the trouble to cultivate the friendship of mere boys, but Uncle Joe Pangle knew better, and we all know that in his case it made him hundreds of friends in Burnet County, who would go almost any length in their friendship for him.

The editor of this paper is not especially fond of poetry, but there is a little favorite of ours, “The House by the Side of the Road, “ that has kept recurring to us ever since Uncle Joe Pangle died. The line—“And be a friend of man,” comes as near describing him as any man we ever met. The poem in its entirety is here reproduced, and others will agree with us that in many ways it fits the subject of this sketch: (the above was included).

The Bulletin believes his death removes the most magnetic character that has ever lived in this section of the State. His children had the greatest love and respect for him, and well they might, for he left behind him a memory with the people of this section that will live with them as long as life lasts. To the sons and daughters, the Bulletin offers its deepest condolence. We know that they are suffering, for it has been only a few days since we also gave up an old father that was loved and reverenced by all who knew him. These two old men were always the warmest of friends and neither doubted the loyalty of the other. They were also both old Confederate soldiers. Many of the young men in the war just closed suffered hardships, but none of them went through the trials and tribulations suffered by Uncle Joe during the four years he was a Confederate soldier. Some times for days and weeks these heroes went almost without food, they had little to wear, and many of them poorly equipped with arms, but they fought on and on, against increasing odds and did not give up until further fighting would have been murder. Mr. Pangle was among the bravest of the brave and he bore his hardships with that dauntless smile that old age has not effaced. Uncle Joe, the boys left behind—the old Confederates and all—will never lose their tender regard for your memory and the many deeds of KINDESS you did while on earth.

What a eulogy to a man whose example we all should be following. Leah you should be proud to descend from such an exemplary man.

Soldiers and Sailors

5th Cavalry Regiment was organized in December, 1862, using the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion as its nucleus. The men were from the counties of Polk, Hamilton, Meigs, McMinn, Bradley, Cocke, Hawkins, and Blount. It served in Scott's, Humes', H.B. Davidson's, and H.M. Ashby's Brigade. After skirmishing in Kentucky the unit fought at Chickamauga, McMinnville, Shelbyville, and Philadelphia. Later it was involved in various conflicts in Kentucky, Alabama, and Georgia, then took part in the campaign of the Carolinas. The regiment surrendered with the Army of Tennessee. Its commanders were Colonels George W. McKenzie and John B. McLin, Lieutenant Colonel John G.M. Montgomery, and Major John L. Backwell.

Predecessor units: 1st (Rogers') Cavalry Regiment [also called East Tennessee Cavalry] was organized in January, 1862. Attached to the Department of East Tennessee, the unit took part in the Cumberland Gap operations, then in April was reduced to eight companies and redesignated the 13th Tennessee Cavalry Battalion. Its commanders were Colonel John F. Rogers, Lieutenant Colonel John F. White, and Major John B. McLin.

13th Cavalry Battalion [also called 2nd Battalion, and formerly the 1st East Tennessee Cavalry Regiment] was formed in April, 1862, with eight companies. The unit served in the Department of East Tennessee, then merged into the 5th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonel George W. McKenzie and Major J.G.M. Montgomery were in command


T A Faubion

Pvt, Co. F, 12 Batt’n Tennessee Cavalry

Appears on a muster roll of the organization named above for Sept 1, 1863 to not dated *

Enlisted Mar 1, 1864 Green County, East Tenn by Wm R Neilson for period of war Last paid never paid Present or absent not stated

The 12 Battalion Tennessee Cavalry was organized September 1, 1862, with four companies, A to D. Companies E, F, and G were added abt September, 1862, September 1863 and October 1864 respectively. It was also known as Adrian’s Battalion Partisan Rangers and as Phipps Battalion Tennessee Cavalry. Companies B and E of this battalion served from December 1862 to about June 1863, in a temporary field organization known as Hardy’s Squadron Tennessee Cavalry, and acted as escort to Maj. Gen. McCown.

The 12th and 16th Battalions Tennessee Cavalry served from about June 1863 to March 1864, in a temporary field organization called the 1st Tennessee Legion and Rucker’s Legion Tennessee Cavalry, but were mustered separately.

*Roll endorsed: Rec’d (A. & I.G.O.) May 25, 1864


T. A. Faubion Cocke Co Tenn, Affiant

See personal papers of Preston Southerland Co C 26 Reg’t Tennessee Inft

Note: Preston Southerland was a neighbor and after he died from disease he contracted in the war, his wife Jane BLACK Southerland filed for his final pay. Sadly, she was left to raise 8 small children by herself which was a real struggle. She never remarried, which was so common with these brave, loving wives and mothers.

Preston Southerland

26th Regiment Tennessee Volunteers (also called the 3d Regiment East Tennessee Infantry)

Enlisted June 27, 1861 at Newport, Tenn by Capt E(Edwin) Allen for 12 mos

Preston Southerland

Edwards Co 26 Tenn Regt Confederate

Name appears on a register of claims of Deceased Officers and Soldiers from Tennessee which were filed for settlement in the Office of the Confederate States Auditor for the War Department By whom presented Jane Southerland When filed May 11, 1863

State of Tennessee ) Cocke County)

On this 30th day of April 1863 personally appeared before me the undersigned a Justice of the Peace in and for said county aforesaid JANE SOUTHERLAND who after being sworn according to law deposes and says that she is the widow of PRESTON SOUTHERLAND DECEASED who was a private of Captain EDWIN (Note: Edwin Allen’s )COMPANY 26 Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers commanded by Colonel JOHN M. LILLARD in the service of the CONFEDERATE in the present war with the United States and that the said PRESTON SOUTHERLAND entered the service at Knoxville in Knox County and state of Tennessee on or about the 27 day of June 1861 and died at his residence in Cocke County, Tennessee of Typhoid and Pnuemonia on or about the 19th day of June 1862 leaving a widow and eight children. That JANE SOUTHERLAND makes this deposition for the purpose of obtaining from the government of the Confederate State whatever may have been due the said PRESTON SOUTHERLAND at the time of his death for pay bounty or other allowances for his services as a private aforesaid. Sworn to and subscribed before me Samuel Parrott, Justice of the Peace for Cocke Cunty)


And on the same day and year aforesaid also appeared before me a Justice of the Peace as aforesaid T A FAUBION & C ISENHOUR who are well known to me and whom I hereby certify to be persons of veracity and credibility who having been by me duly sworn say on oath that they are well acquainted with JANE SOUTHERLAND the claimant and also well known for several years PRESTON SOUTHERLAND THE DECEASED soldier herein mentioned and that the statement at made under oath by said JANE SOUTHERLAND the claimant as to her relationship to the said deceased soldier is true and correct in every particular to the best of their knowledge and belief, and that the said T. A. FAUBION & C ISENHOUR are wholly disinterested.

Sworn to and subscribed before me SAMUEL PARROTT Justice of the Peace for Cocke County)


C. EISENHAUER (this must be the nephew of Tilghman, Caleb Icenhower, son of Tilghman’s sister, Elizabeth Faubion)

Note: From a death record I found in Madison Co. North Carolina of one of Preston Southerland’s children, Tillman Southerland, I have discovered Jane Southerland’s maiden name was BLACK

Tennesseeans in the Civil War

Colonels-John M. Lillard was killed at Chickamauga

CAPTAINS Edwin Allen, George Stuart, Co. "A". Men from Cocke County


Record Division, War Department, Rebel Archives

Oct 19, 1862, Confederate States to T A Faubion dr 260 lbs Bacon at 25 65.00

I certify that the above account is just and correct and that the articles are necessary for the Public Service and were purchased by order of Lt Col G N Folk

James A Folk

A 2 M 7th NC Batta

Received at Jonesboro the 11th day of April 1863 of Maj Hendesen Assistant Commissary Subsistence C S Army the sum of sixty five dollars in full of the above account T A Faubion

Approved G N Folk, Col 65 NC Regt

No 2 F??n 19 = 2 qr 1863 T A Faubion $65.00 April 11, 1863 O. L?

No 12 The Confederate States to T A Faubion Dec 31, 1863

(39) Thirty nine bushels corn at three dollars and fifty cts per bushel 136.50

(3060) Two thousand and sixty pounds of hay at two dollars and twenty five cts per hundred 46.35


I certify that the above account is correct and just, and that the articles will be accounted for on my Property Return for the quarter ending on the 31 day of Dec 1863

E W Herndon, Maj & Assistant Quartermaster

Received at Asheville, NC, the 31 day of Dec, 1863 of Maj E W Herndon, Assistant Quartermaster of C. S. Army, the sum of one hundred eighty two dollars and 85 cents, in full of the above account.

(signed in duplicate) T.A. Faubion

Appv’d & Ordered paid by order Col Jno B Palmer, Com? Dist, Theo F Davidson, A???

(No. 12) No 66 Abstract A 4, Qr 1863 T A Faubion Dollars 182 85/100 Paid 31st of Dec, 1863

Freedom - an amazing set of videos to watch

Copyright 27 May 2011 Carolyn Whitaker, All rights reserved