Bethesda Baptist Church
Cusseta Baptist Church
Chambers County Alabama
Contributed by Linda Brewer who answered my cry for information
One of those "random acts of kindness"
In 1832, there were several families in and around Cusseta and they desired a church. On April 18, 1835, with the aid of three Baptist ministers of Georgia, seven persons holding letters from regular Baptist churches met at the home of James Taylor, Sr. Those seven persons were constituted into a church called Bethesda.
Elder Francis Calloway served the church until Bethesda got a regular pastor on July 18, 1835. Elder John Blackston was chosen as pastor and agreed to serve the church. During this time, a number of Indians attended services. In 1836, from May through August, services were suspended because of Indian hostilities.
The first two elders wanted Bethesda to declare non-fellowship with churches that favored missionary activities. Bethesda firmly believed the missionary approach. Therefore, the two elders who disagreed with the congregation resigned. Elder John Humphries was called on February 1838, and served 14 years.
Until 1840, the church worshiped in a small log building. Later a larger frame building was erected. Bethesda was one of the first churches to have a Sunday School, prayer meetings and a Woman's Missionary Union. In August 1856, the church moved closer to the village of Cusetta.
Cusseta Baptist Church's present building was erected in 1901 for one thousand two hundred dollars. In 1960, a new educational wing was added. In 1983, a fellowship hall and other additions were built.
Over the years, Cusseta Baptist Church has continued to support all missionary causes of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Chambers Heritage Book. Article was submitted by James P. Alsobrook, Sr. Lanett AL
150th Anniversary of Cusseta Baptist Church.
Derryl Hart was a loyal member of the Bethesda Baptist Church from 1835 until his death in 1855. Derryl was born the 9th of March 1789 in Edgefield County South Carolina, the youngest son of James & Elizabeth (Jernigan) Hart. Miss Jane Pitts became his bride on the 21st of December 1815 in Edgefield County. The family resided there until they relocated to Chambers County Alabama about 1834-1835. Upon the death of Derryl, Jane moved to Marion County Texas to live with her son
William Edward Hart. She died in Texas in 1858 and is buried there.
The music is an old time favorite - "It Is No Secret"