Son of Henry & Nancy (Rainey) Hart

Mt Hermon Cemetery, Bedford Co TN

Derrel J. Hart and his family were active in the Mt. Hermon Baptist Church. His wife Rachel, joined the church in July 1840. Derrel J. was received into the church by experience and baptism in September 1842. In July 1847 he wsa elected a deacon and was ordained in October 1847. He was appointed church clerk in September 1848 and servedin that capacityuntil 1865. The records reveal that derrel was selected a delegate to the duck River Baptist Association a total of nine times beginning June 1848 and through July 1876. Rachel was a member of the church for over 76 years.

Derrel and Rachel are found in the 1840 22nd District, Bedford County Tennessee Census with one child, a female, under age five. In 1850 Derrel is listed with Rachel, Rebecca 11, Mary 9, James 7, Samuel 5, and Henry 2. In 1860 the census shows four additional children, William, Jesse, Mrtha and John.

On January 1, 1851 Derrel purchased a trct of land consisting of 35 acres, 125 poles for $347.95 This land was in the 22nd District of Bedford County on the waters of Big Flat creek and joined by lands owned by William Boon and henry Hart. On October 9, 1854 Derrel purchased 80 acres from his father, and on December 26, 1857 he purchased another tract of 140 acres from Mr. Boon.

Derrel Hart was crippled with rheumatism for several years before he died. He suffered considerably and at time, was not able to get around. During one of these difficult times, he was sitting on his front porch. It was during the Civil War, and Union soldier were in the area. Derrel's older boys had gone across the hill to the store at Dean (now New Hermon), and only Derrel, his wife, and the younger children were at home. A group of Union soldiers came up the road, carrying with them a wounded man. They stopped at Derrel's home and asked for amterial for bandages. Apparently, they were not satisfied with the material given them, because they went into the house, pulled out dresser drawers, etc., scattering things as they went and taking everything they wanted. Derrel probably complained and tried to stop them. However, they took what they wanted, hit him on the head with a steel handgun, and left him lying, bleeding on the floor. As they went up the hill and were just out of sight, the older boys arrived home from the store. On learning what happened, they quickly took their guns and went after the Union soldiers. They came within sight of them at the top of the hill. Shots were exchanged, but no one was hurt, and the Union men escaped.

According to a family story told to Mary Hart, wife of Henry Hart who is the son of Jeff Hart, a grandson of Derrel J., he died due to a rattlesnake which did not bit him. She says that her father-in-law, Jeff Hart, told her that Derrel was in the woods near him homecutting firewood. During this time he came upon a rattlesnake which struck or jumped at him coming very close, and spit its venom into his face. When derrel did not arrive home at the expected time, his chidlren went looking for him and found him lying on the ground near the pile of wood. As they carried him home he told them of the snake and insisted that it did not bite him. An examination of his body revealed no evidence of snake bite. Nevertheless he became very sick and soon died, apparently from the poison of the venom spit into his face. He died October 9, 186 and is buried beside Rachel in the old part of the Mt. hermon Church Cemetery. He was only 58 years old.

Written by her son J.F. Hart - Fayetteville TN

Rachel Morris was barn March 10, 1819; was married to Derrell J. Hart in early life (who preceded her to the better land in October 1876). To this union were born ten children, six boys and four girls, one girl dying in infancy. At her death her offspring was as follows: Children 9, grandchildren 45, great grandchildren 92, great-great grandchildren 6. Living issue in all, 152.

She left one sister, Ruth Patter af Jackson Caunty, Ala. Her mather was left a widow. She had three sisters and they were all left widaws, and of her three daughters two of them are widows. Her mother lived to be 96 years of age and an accepted tradition in the family says her grandmother lived to be 103 years old. She was industrious and economical. Well do I remember when a boy af her carding, spinning, weaving, and sewing (with her fingers) ta clothe the family from the shoes to the hat. Every day clothes and Sunday too, with the exception occasionally of a Sunday shirt.

She was born, raised and spent her life in Bedford County, Tenn. In the fall after she was eighteen years old she professed faith in Christ and joined the Baptist Church of Christ at Mt. Herman, where she lived a devout and orderly member for over 76 years. She, by her orderly walk and chaste conversation, was the confidence of all who surrounded her. In May 1908 she fell and broke her thigh and her hip joint, after which she was not able to attend her church meetings, but before this if she did not fill her place it was understood that there was something the matter. After this those visiting her room usually found her with her Bible in her hand or some other book recommended to her as a good book. She frequently talked of her prospects of Heaven and more and more as she neared the end of life. Frequently she would become so enraptured with a foretaste of Heaven that her voice would be raised in adoration and praise to God.

As she became still nearer to the end she became real anxious to go. A few hours before her death she called all who were in the room to her bed one by one, and told them goodby, asking each one to meet her in Heaven, then said, "I have done the best I could to live right." Then she raised her eyes upward, waving her pale thin hands and burst forth in accents of praise to God until her strength gave way. After a little rest she said she would love to talk but was too weak. Early in the morning of March 26, 1914, her spirit left its mortal house to go to its long-sought home on high. She was 95 years and 16 days old.

The following day her remains were taken to Mt. Hermon church and funeral services were held by Elder R. E. Gore in the presence of a large concourse of people. Her body was then interred in the old church-yard to await the resurrection morn.

The children of Derrel J. & Rebecca (Morris) Hart -
Click on the available links (highlighted) for more information

1. Rebecca Catherine Hart - - - - - -married Timothy Brown
2. Mary Ann Hart - - - - - - - - - - - - married Richard G. Mullins
3. Samuel Hart - - - - - - - - - - - - - - married Rachel Louisa Morris
4. Henry K. Hart - - - - - - - - - - - - -married Fannie Jennie Ervin
5. ObitPhoto William Jasper Hart - - - - - - - - -married Frances Hannah Gardner
6. Jesse Francis Hart - - - - - - - - - -married Mattie Mahala Petty, Nancy Turpin & Lillie Cashion
7. Martha Jane Hart - - - - - - - - - - married Thomas M. Womack
8. John M. Hart - - - - - - - - - - - - - -married Mary Anna Alexander
9. James Wilkes Hart - - - - - - - - - -married Mary Catherine Reagor, Laura Jane Gardner & Lena Moore

Andrew W. Floyd, 68, of Tullahoma, died Tuesday , Aug. 3, 1993, in Broken Arrow, Okla. He was a retired craftsman at AEDC. Preceded in death by his mother, Ora Tuck Floyd, he is survived by his father, Andrew W. Floyd Sr.; wife, June Dockery Floyd; one daughter, Betty Earl, Knoxville; three sons, Justin Floyd, Hillsboro; Ronnie Ross, Orlando, Fla., and Mike Ross, Broken Arrow; two sisters, Edna Foutch and Jean Boyette, both of Hillsboro; two brothers, James Boyd [sic Floyd]and Bill Boyd [sic Floyd], Hillsboro, and 10 grandchildren. Visitation will be from 3 to 9 p.m. today at Tullahoma Funeral Home. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, August. 7, 1993, at Tullahoma Funeral Home chapel with Dr. James Porch officiating. Burial will be in Rose Hill Memorial Gardens. Tullahoma Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Obituary contributed by Gene Morris from the Tullahoma News and Guardian, 6 Aug 1993, Tullahoma, TN.

James H. Floyd, 67, of Hillsboro, died Saturday at Saint Thomas Hospital in Nashville after a brief illness. A native of Coffee County, he was retired from Sverdrup, an Army veteran of the Korean Conflict and member of First Baptist Church of Hillsboro. He was preceded in death by his parents, Andrew Woodard and Ora Tuck Floyd, a brother, A. W. Floyd; and sister, Maxine Sherrill. Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Hill Floyd; son, Mark Floyd; daughter, Kim Hoover; two sisters, Edna Mae Foutch and Jean Boyette; and brother, Bill Floyd. All survivors are of Hillsboro. Services were held Tuesday at Manchester Funeral Home with Brother Martin Bowlin and Billy Robison officiating. Burial followed in Rutledge Hill Cemetery. Manchester Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements James is a descendant of Rebecca Catherine Hart Brown d/o Derrell J. Hart & Rachel Morris
Obituary contributed by Gene Morris from the Newsleader, 6 Aug 1997, Manchester, TN.

Nancy Catherine (Tuck) Dean
25 November 1902 - 04 August 1991
Daughter of Rachel Elizabeth (Brown) & Willis M. Tuck
Great grandaughter of Derrell & Rachel
Wife of Charles Allen Dean
Nancy Catherine Tuck Dean, 88, of 311 West Main, Manchester, a housewife, died Aug. 4 at Coffee County Nursing Home. A native of Coffee County, she was born Nov. 25, 1902, to William and Rachel Tuck. Mrs. Dean was a member of the Church of Christ. Services were held Aug. 8 at Watson-Gamble Funeral Home, with Ed Boggess officiating. Burial was in Franklin Memorial Gardens. Survivors include four daughters, Mrs. Irene Uselton of Hillsboro, Mrs. Audrey Bougski [sic-Boguski] of Oklahoma, Mrs. Mary Wickom of Indiana, and Mrs. George Reed of Manchester; two sons, Willie Dean of Texas and Daniel Dean of Manchester; one sister, Cora Jones of Munsey, Ind.; 17 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; and seven great-great-grandchildren.
Contributed by Gene Morris The Herald-Chronicle, Aug. 22, 1991

Charles Allen Dean
29 August 1898 - 19 December 1980
Husband of Nancy Tuck
Charles Allen Dean, 82, of Route 2, Manchester, a retired farmer, died Friday at Coffee County Hospital following an extended illness. A Bedford County native, he was born Aug. 29, 1898. He was the son of Daniel T. and Mary Ray Dean. He was a Baptist. Services were Monday at Watson Funeral Home. The Rev. R. W. Whitlock officiated. Burial was in Franklin Memorial Gardens. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Nancy Tuck Dean; four daughters, Mrs. Bobby Reed, Manchester; Mrs. Jack Uselton, Hillsboro; Mrs. Alex Boguski, Okmulgee, Okla., and Mrs. Mary Schwartz, Springport, Ind.; two sons, Willis Dean, Arlington, Texas, and Daniel Dean, Manchester; 16 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren
Contributed by Gene Morris
The Herald-Chronicle, Dec. 25, 1980

Mrs. Flora Edith Cravens of 824 Keylon Street, Manchester, formerly of Hillsboro, was dead on arrival Nov. 25 at Coffee General Hospital of an apparent heart attack. She was 78. She was a daughter of the late Derrell and Mary Elizabeth Bruton Brown and was married to Calvin Lucian Cravens, who died in 1974. She was a member of the Hillsboro Church of Christ. Services were Saturday at Manchester Funeral Home with Carl Russell officiating. Burial was in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Hillsboro. Survivors are two sons, Charles Cravens of Manchester and L. B. Cravens of Hillsboro, two daughters, Mrs. Dorothy Snow of Manchester and Mrs. Edna Sutherland of Hillsboro; three brothers, Emmitt Brown of Hillsboro, Davis Brown of Tullahoma and Ewin Brown of Manchester; one sister, Mrs. Ruby Matlock of Hillsboro; seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Contributed by Gene Morris form the Manchester Times, Manchester, TN 3 December 1981

Mary Ann (Hart) Mullins
29 August 1841 - 02 December 1931
Daughter of Derrel J. & Rachel (Morris) Hart
Mrs. Mary Ann (Hart) Mullins , 90, died Wednesday at the home of her son, Sam Mullins, near Mount Hermon. She was the widow of Richard Mullins, who died many years ago. She had been a member of the Baptist church for 76 years and was beloved by a wide circle of relatives and friends. Funeral services were held at the home of her son, Sam Mullins, thursday morning, conducted by the Rev. Mr. Gore of Wartrace, followed by burial in the cemetery nearby.