NameEdward C. Sturgis491
Birthca 1613444
DeathOct 1695, Sandwich, MA296,279,270,452
OccupationTavern Keeper279
FatherEdward Sturgis (ca1600-)
MotherSusan (ca1600-)
Spouses
Birthbef 20 Sep 1617, England492,279,265,270
Death14 Feb 1691/2, Sandwich, Barnstable, MA279,270,452
FatherThomas Hinckley (<1562->1634)
MotherAnn (->1634)
Marriage1640/1642184
ChildrenEdward (1642-1678)
 Hannah (ca1654-)
 Sarah (ca1656-<1738)
Marriage1692265
Notes for Edward C. Sturgis
“According to the generally accepted Sturgis genealogy the Sturgis family of Yarmouth and later of Barnstable, Massachusetts, are supposed to be descended from Roger Sturgis of Clipston, presumably the Roger Sturge of the Phillamore list, whose will was dated November 15, 1530. He married Alice and had Richard, Robert, Francis, Ellen and Agnes. Richard Sturgis had Roger Sturgis, John Sturgis and Thomas Sturgis. Roger Sturgis married Agnes and had Robert Sturgis of Faxton and John Sturgis. Robert Sturgis of Faxton (comp. Phillimore list) left a will, dated April 9, 1610, proved September 19, 1611, the deceased being buried at Faxton, January 2, 1611. He had a son Philip Sturgis of Hannington, whose will was dated May 26, 1618 (comp. Phillimore list), proved July 2, 1618, the deceased being buried at Hannington, June 18, 1618. Philip Sturgis by a first wife had Edward Sturgis, Robert Sturgis and Elizabeth Sturgis and by a second wife, Anne Lewes, Alice, baptized January 16, 1608; Anne, baptized September 29, 1609; and William, batpized October 10, 1611. Edward Sturgis, the son of Philip, married Alice and had Alice, baptized December 23, 1619; Mary, baptized October 2, 1621; Edward, baptized April 10, 1624, who according to the tale went to New England with his father; Rebecca, baptized February 17, 1626; and, as the tree reads, ‘other children born in this country’. A copy of this tree is on file in the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Even if we assume that there was an Edward, son of Philip, who married Alice and that the line of the family down to that Edward is correct, it is impossible to maintain the proposition that the Edward Sturgis who came to this country and first appears in New England in 1634 at Charlestown, Massachusetts, was that Edward. The Edward Sturgis who came to Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1634, where on January 10, 1634-5 he received a grant of four acres of land (Charlestown land records in New England Register, Vol. 20, page 110), lived a long life and appears frequently in the Records of the Plymouth Colony, dying in Sandwich, Massachusets, in 1695. If his son Edward, his third child, born in 1624, according to the tree, came with his father to this country, the senior Sturgis lived to be at least one hundred years old and moreover, the wife of Edward Sturgis in America was named Elizabeth and not Alice. Moreover it is clear from the Province records that Edward Sturgis did not return to England and yet we find in All Saint’s Church at Holdenbury a tablet to the memory of Alice Sturgis, wife of Edward Sturgis, who died January 20, 1659; and Edward Sturgis, her husband, of West Haddon, who died October 22, 1670 (Baker’s History of the County of Northhampton). The will of Philip Sturgis devised lands in West Haddon to his son Edward. There can be no doubt that this Edward to whom the tablet was erected was the son of Philip and not the Edward Sturgis who came to Charlestown in 1634.”265

“It is well known that many of those families settling on Cape Cod in the second quarter of the seventeenth century came from Kent and a partial examination of the records of East Kent reveals a possible source from which our Edward Sturgis sprang. It appears in the Worth Transcripts that ‘John Sturgis the son of Edward Sturgis was crystned the XXVIjth of Aprill, 1578.’ Assuming that this John was the eldest son, Edward Sturges was born probably about 1557. He is called ‘Edward Sturges alias Turges’ in the marriage license of his daughter Elizabeth (supra). From 1581 to 1595 he appears in the registers of Woodnesborough and from 1596 to 1622 in those of Tilmanstone. In the license for his last marriage he is called of Eastry (Canterbury Marriage Licenses, April 17, 1623 ) but later in that year he removed to Sturry where he was buried January 23, 1624/5. His will, dated January 13, 1623/4 mentions lands in Barham and was proved February 9, 1624/5 (Arch. Cant., vol. 67, fol.380). Woodnesborough, Tilmanstone and Eastry are adjoining parishes about ten miles east of Canterbury, while Sturry is two miles north of it. In his will Edward Sturges described himself as ‘the elder of Sturry, co. Kent, yeoman’ and left to his son John one shilling and to Edward Sturges, son of John, forty shillings when 18 years old. The name of John Sturges appears at various times in the registers of Tilmanstone, Woodnesborough and Eastry. He married first, by license, at Tilmanstone, November 28, 1608, Margaret Austin (Tilmanstone Register). She was buried at Eastry, April 3, 1622 (Eastry Transcripts). Of this marriage there were four children: - 1. Margaret, baptised at Tilmanstone June 3, 1610, who probably died young. 2) Edward, baptized at Woodnesborough, January 30, 1613/14 (wqoodnesborough Transcripts). . . . 3) Elizabeth, baptized at Woodnesborough, May 10, 1618. 4. Andrew, baptized at Eastry, March 31, 1622. The examination of the records in East Kent disclosed but two later mentions of the name Edward Sturges and neither seems to apply to this Edward Sturges, son of John. If he was the Edward Sturges who emigrated to America, as seems probably, he would have been 21 years old when he received his grant of land in Charlestown (supra).”265

“The family of Mr. Sturges is believed to have been a distinguished one in England, from whence Edward, of this town, came somewhere about the year 1634, when he was in Charlestown, and was in Yarmouth in 1641, in which year he was a Constable. He also served four years as Deputy to the Colony Court, and also on various committees of the town. He kept an ordinary, at which large quantities of liquors were sold, the accounts of which, officially published, throw much light on the drinking habits of our ancestors. His residence was not far from the old meeting-house. It was said that he had more plate in his house than all the rest of Yarmouth. He died in Sandwich, in 1695, leaving an estate appraised at £963. For so prominent a family as his, the account of Mr. Sturges’s descendants is unusually obscure and unsatisfactory. His sons, it is believed were, Thomas and Samuel. Among his descendants are the late President Quincy of Harvard college, John Quincy Adams, and other distinguished personages.” 293

“STURGIS
EDWARD STURGIS, came from Harmington, Northamptonshire, Eng. settled at Sandwich, Mass., 1635.
Arms - Azure, a chevron between three cross-crosslets fitchee within a bordure engrailed or.
Crest - A Talbot’s head couped or eared sable.” [black and white picture on file]. 493

"Edward Sturgis was a man of wealth and social prominence. He was in Charlestown in 1634, and constable in Yarmouth in 1641. He kept an ordinary and sold large quantities of liquors, which our fathers consumed. His residence was northerly of the old burying ground. He died in Sandwich in 1695. Among his descendants are the late President Quincy of Harvard College, John Quincy Adams, and other distinguished personages."296

“Edward Sturgis . . . emigrated from England, settled in 1640 at Yarmouth in the Plymouth Colony, where he was constable, selectman, and deputy to the General Court, and died in 1695.” 494

He is listed as literate (1635 pet), with occupation of innkeeper and husbandman. He is listed as a Church Member in Charlestown in 1634 with offices of “const., sm.”. He was said to be in Charlestown in 1634, in Yarmouth, 1639.491

“By the end of the next year (1640) there were approximately twenty-five families in Yarmouth. Andrew Hallet, Jr. had purchased Stephen Hopkins’ house, the first built by an Englishman in town. It was located at the corner of the present Mill Lane and Route 6A. Originally called Stony Cove, Mill Pond (not the Mill Pond off Follins Pond) was the setting for a cluster of homes including, in addition to Hallet, Thomas Starr, William Chase, Giles Hopkins, Robert Dennis, and Joshua Barnes. Nicholas Simpkins and Anthony Thacher settled farther east. Still farther east was the first meetinghouse and the lands of the Reverend Marmaduke Matthews and Edward Sturgis.” 304

“Initially, those of the clergy collected their own salaries but later the twon took charge. According to Yarmouth town records, the town appointed a committee of Edward Sturgis, Joseph Howes, and John Hall, Jr. ‘to collect the reside of Mr. Thornton’s salary so that he may not remain unpaid of his due, to the blemish of the town.’304

Edward was the first Tavern Keeper in Yarmouth. This qualifies his descendants for membership in the “Flagon and Trencher - Descendants of Colonial Tavern Keepers”.444

“The ‘ordinary’, or tavern, was another town business. Keepers of an ordinary were licensed by the town and operated from their homes. Anthony Thacher, Edward Sturgis, John Miller, and Nathaniel Hall were among those licensed ‘to draw wine’ inthe early years.” 304

Details to be entered.279, 265, 452

“It will be seen that Edward Sturgis Sr. outlived his sons Samuel and Edward Jr. but his youngest son Thomas survived him and was appointed administrator of his estate. There is an entry in the records of the Town of Yarmouth in October 1695 to the effect that Mr. Edward Sturgis of that town had died in Sandwich, which was 55 years after his first election as Constable of Yarmouth. If we are right in our surmise that Edward Sturgis was the son of John Sturges of Woodnesborough in Kent and was baptised there January 30, 1613/14, he was 81 years old at the time of his death. November 9, 1695 administration was granted by the Probate Court upon the estate of Edward Sturgis to Thomas Sturgis (B), his son, and John Miller (B.P.C., Vol. 2, page 11). The appointment of administrators was apparently in those days preceded by the filing of the inventory. This was filed and sworn to by the widow, mary Sturgis, before the Judge of Probate, November 5, 1695 (B.P.C., Vol. 2, page 10) and things apparently went badly for the first Edward Sturgis in his later years for we do not find any of the plate attributed to him in his more prosperous days. His estate was much involved, as appears from a release signed by his second wife, (B.P.C., Vol. 2, page 15) in which she released all interest in her husband’s estate to his administrators for 23 pounds. The release recites the marriage agreement of 1692 (supra) and recited that, ‘for as much as ye said Edward Sturgis is departed this life and hath left ye said Mary his wife ye surviviour and ye sd Mary taking into her consideration that ye estate of her deceased husband ye said Edward Sturgis is much entangled in debts and shee not being willing to take ye trouble that may accrue about ye premises and willing to be in quiet hath with ye advice & council of ye said John Miller and Joseph Rider aforesd received and excepted of Twenty and three pounds in silver money in full satisfaction for her part of and in ye estate of her deceased husband ye sd Edward Sturgis.’ “265

He has been said to be the son of Philip Sturgis and his 1st wife. Philip is said to have been the son of Robert Sturigs and ?, from Hunnington, England. Philip died June 18, 1618. Will dated May 26, 1613 or 1618. Proven July 2, 1618. Robert was said to be the son of Roger Sturgis and Agnes of Faxton, England. Robert was buried Jan. 2, 1611. His will dated Aprl 9, 1610. Robert was said to be the son or Richard Sturgis and ?. Roger’s will was made 9-4-1579.270

He was also said to be the son of Philip Sturgis, of Hannington, England. 262

“Edward Sturgis was of Barnstable and Yarmouth, Mass. From England to Charleston, Mass. about 1634. Removed to Sandwich and then to Yarmouth in 1639. Was Deputy to the Conn. Assembly. Able to bear arms in 1643. Constable at Yarmouth 3-2-1640/1. Freeman in 1643. Surveyor of Highways 6-2-1646. He waas Selectman at Yarmouth several times. Also several times Deputy to the General Court. Estate probated 11-9-1695.”270

“March 1, 1658-9, Wm. Nickerson recovered judgment against Edward Sturgis for taking away certain goods and calves in the custody of Richard Berry, belonging to Nickerson, the calves that were alive to be delivered to Nickerson or his agents at Yarmouth. On review May 3, 1659, this judgment was sustained.” 495

“The ‘ordinary,’ or tavern, was another town business. Keepers of an ordinary were licensed by the town and operated from their homes. Anthony Thacher, Edward Sturgis, John Miller, and Nathaniel Hall were among those licensed ‘to draw wine’ in the early years.” 304

“Town officials [for Yarmouth] continued to be appointed from Plymouth, and assessment for expenses came from colony headquarters. In 1641 Edward Sturgis was sworn as constable, John Crowe and Richard Hore were the committee of the town. . . “ 304

Descendants are eligible for membership in the Flogon and Trencher or Descendants of Colonial Taverner Keepers. “Some of the qualifying Cape Cod ancestors include. . . Edward sturgis of Yarmouth ca 1646..” 496

Edward Sturgis, Jr. died intestate. Abstract of the settlement of his estate to be entered. 497
Extension of notes notes for Edward C. Sturgis
“Edward, eldest child of Philip Sturgis [?} and his first wife, was born in Hannington, England, emigrated to this counry in 1634, and died at Sandwich, Massachusetts, in October, 1695. He seems to have spent most of his life at Yarmouth on Cape Cod, though Sandwich was the place of his landing and his burial. He reached this country in 1634, and the same year he moved to Charlestown, Massachusetts, where he remained five years, going to Yarmouth in 1639. He was constable at Yarmouth in 1640-41; member of grand inquest, 1650; surveyor of highways, 1651; committeeman of affairs of the colony, 1657; constable, 1662; and deputy to the general assembly in 1672. He left a alrge estate, heavily encumbered. If the dates of the births of his eldest children are correct, he must have been a very old man at the time of his death, approaching one hundred. The name of the first wife of Edward Sturgis is variously given as Alice and Elizabeth, with the preponderance of evidence in favor of the latter name. She died February 13, 1691, and in April, 1692, when he was past ninety, Edward Sturgis married his second wife, Mary, widow of Zachariah Rider, who was the first male child born of English parents in Yarmouth.” 283

“The interval of eleven years between the births of Rebecca and Samuel would indicate that some children must have died unrecorded; or possibly that the children belonged to two wives, one named Alice and the other Elizabeth. The latter proposition is simply advanced as a theory, but the confusion of names in regard to the mother of the children and the discrepancy between the dates of their birth would seem to lend it some credence.” 283

“Before May 14, 1648 he [Gabriel Whelden] sold his land at Yarmouth to Edward Sturgis and removed to probably Lynn, and then to Malden.” 285

“ORIGIN: Unknown.
MIGRATION: 1634 (based on grant of land at Charlestown on 10 January 1634/5 [ChTR 12]).
FIRST RESIDENCE: Charlestown.
REMOVES: Yarmouth by 1639 [PCR 8:185].
OCCUPATION: Yeoman[ Barn PR 2:14].
Innkeeper . . .
BIRTH: By 1613 (based on grant of land at Charlestown on 10 January 1634/5 [ChTR 12]).
DEATH: By 12 October 1695 (date of inventory).
MARRIAGE: (1) By about 1639 Elizabeth ______. (See COMMENTS below.)
(2) On or soon after 20 April 1692 Mary (______) Rider, widow of Zechariah Rider [Barn RP 2;14; MD 27:37-38; TAG 80:132]. . . . “ Many details to be entered. 419

“Once settled at Yarmouth, Edward Sturges was before the court on many occasions, as both plaintiff and defendant in civil suits. Because of the insight these court cases provide regarding the character of Edward Sturges, we have presented these court proceedings here in more detail than usual. When considered along with his activities as innkeeper, his extensive civil service, and his continued interactions with William Hedges, a or trait emerges of a very able man, highly respected in his community, but who pushed the limits of acceptable behavior. As innkeeper, he would be given a license, then have the license removed, and then be licensed again. Perhaps most revealing is the final lawsuit described below, between Edward Sturges and Nathaniel Bassett. Sturges took advantage of Bassett, mowing his meadow for more than twenty years. Upon the first trying of the case, the jury found against sturges, but he successfully appeald, invoking the doctrine of adverse possession.” 419

“On 29 October 1649, ‘Edward Sturgis’ stood surety for “Richard Berry [who] accuseth Teage Joanes of sodomy [PCR 2:146]. On 29 October 1649, ‘Teage Jones complaineth against Edward Sturgis, in an action of slander to the damage of an hundred pound. The jury find for the defendant, & assess five shillings damage, and the charges of the suit’ [PCR 7:46]. On 6 March 1649/50, Berry withdrew his accusations and was himself punished [PCR 2:148].” 419

On 1 March 1658/9, ‘Will[i]am Nicarson complained against Edward Sturgis, in an action of trespass on the case, to the damage of twenty pounds, for unjust taking away of sundry goods and calves of his, in the custody Richard Berrey. The jury find for the plaintiff. The calves that are alive to be delivered to Will[i]am Nicarson or his agents; and those that are dead, the value of them as they were prized when they were attached, in current pay, and forty shillings damage for unjust molestation, and the cost of the suit. A review was granted unto the defendant, to be tried at the court in May next’ [PCE 7:90]. On 3 May 1659, upon review, ‘judgment [was]grated to Will[i]am Nicarson, according the the verdict’ and a detailed schedule of expenses was drawn up [PCR 7:91-92].” 419
Last Modified 1 Sep 2012Created 24 Dec 2013 using Reunion for Macintosh