THE BUCKMAN FAMILY
It is said that the Buckman family spent the first winter in the new land, living in a cave. But mother Joan BAGHAM Buckman, planning ahead, brought 2000 pounds of supplies with them on their long journey. Our part of the Buckman line ended when my grandmother, Cora BUCKMAN, married Alva CONDIT. She had only three sisters, no brothers.
Several of her uncles left their mark in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon. The Buckman district and the Buckman school are named after the family.
Cora and her sister
Generation No. 1
1. EDWARD BUCKMAN was born Abt. 1623 in England, and died July 12, 1670. He married JOAN BAGHAM October 03, 1648 in Sussex, England. She was born Bet. 1611 - 1637 in England, and died 1682 in at sea,on ship "Welcome".
Children of EDWARD BUCKMAN and JOAN BAGHAM are:
i. SR. WILLIAM BUCKMAN, b. 1650, Billinghurst, England; d. October 09, 1716, Bucks Co., Penn.
ii. EDWARD BUCKMAN, b. Abt. November 07, 1651, Billinghurst,
Sussex, England; d. 1682, at sea,on ship "Welcome".
iii. THOMAS BUCKMAN, b. Abt. November 05, 1654; d. 1682, at season ship "Welcome".
iv. MARY BUCKMAN, b. September 07, 1656; d. Bet. 1657 - 1750.
v. RUTH BUCKMAN, b. February 04, 1659/60, Billinghurst, Sussex, England; d. November 27, 1716, New Jersey; m. RICHARD HARRISON, May 04, 1687, New Jersey.
vi. SARAH BUCKMAN, b. November 16, 1669, Billinghurst, Sussex, England; d. August 04, 1670, Billinghurst, Sussex, England.
Generation No. 2
2. SR. WILLIAM BUCKMAN (EDWARD1) was born 1650 in Billinghurst, England, and died October 09, 1716 in Bucks Co., Penn. He married SARAH (ELIZABETH WILSON September 05, 1706 in England. She was born Bet. 1651 - 1695 in England, and died March 13, 1731/32 in Bucks Co., Penn.
Child of WILLIAM BUCKMAN and SARAH WILSON is:
i. WILLIAM3 BUCKMAN, b. April 28, 1690, Bucks Co., Penn; d. January 1755, Bucks Co., Penn.
Generation No. 3
3. WILLIAM BUCKMAN (WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born April 28, 1690 in Bucks Co., Penn, and died January 1755 in Bucks Co., Penn. He married ESTHER PENQUITE November 27, 1716 in Bucks Co., Penn, daughter of JOHN PENQUITE and AGNES SHARP. She was born April 21, 1694, and died November 20, 1758 in Bucks Co., Penn.
Children of WILLIAM BUCKMAN and ESTHER PENQUITE are:
i. JACOB BUCKMAN, b. Bet. 1711 - 1745; d. August 14, 1794, Newtown, Bucks Co PA; m. MARY TAYLOR.
ii. WILLIAM BUCKMAN, b. March 09, 1717/18; d. September 06, 1782; m. JANE BRIGGS, January 03, 1743/44.
iii. SARAH BUCKMAN, b. May 15, 1718; d. October 13, 1785; m.
iv. JOHN BUCKMAN, b. July 16, 1721; d. February 27, 1790; m. ELEANOR BIGGS, Abt. 1747.
v. JOSEPH BUCKMAN, b. July 16, 1723; d. 1794; m. MARTHA CARR, November 13, 1746.
vi. SR. THOMAS BUCKMAN, b. May 28, 1725; d. Bet. 1752 - 1813.
vii. ISAAC BUCKMAN, b. May 29, 1729; d. 1785; m. MARY HILBORN, November 18, 1751, Christ Church, Philadelphia, PA.
Generation No. 4
4. THOMAS SR. BUCKMAN (WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born May 28, 1725, and died Bet. 1752 - 1813. He married PRISCILLA BUNTING September 24, 1747, daughter of SAMUEL BUNTING and PRICILLA BURGESS. She was born May 22, 1722, and died Bet. 1752 - 1816.
Children of THOMAS BUCKMAN and PRISCILLA BUNTING are:
i. PHEBE BUCKMAN, b. June 02, 1748.
ii. HANNA BUCKMAN, b. September 12, 1750.
iii. SAMUEL BUCKMAN, b. July 25, 1752.
iv. JR THOMAS BUCKMAN, b. July 15, 1754; d. 1837; m. MARY HARDING, 1781; b. 1763; d. 1851.
v. BENJAMIN BUCKMAN, b. July 26, 1756.
vi. TIMOTHY BUCKMAN, b. January 15, 1759.
vii. AMOS BUCKMAN, b. January 10, 1762.
viii. DAUGHTER BUCKMAN, b. June 05, 1763.
ix. JESSE BUCKMAN, b. November 21, 1764.
Thomas Buckman Jr.
Generation No. 5
1. THOMAS BUCKMAN JR. (THOMAS4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born July 15, 1754, and died 1837. He married MARY HARDING 1781, daughter of ABRAHAM HARDING and RACHAEL WILSON. She was born 1763, and died 1851.
Child of THOMAS BUCKMAN and MARY HARDING is:
i. 1ST ABRAHAM BUCKMAN, b. August 13, 1782, Bucks Co., Penn; d. August 25, 1867.
Generation No. 6
2. 1ST ABRAHAM BUCKMAN (THOMAS5, THOMAS4, WLLIAM3, WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born August 13, 1782 in Bucks Co., Penn, and died August 25, 1867. He married REBECCA LIPPENCOT 1800. She was born April 03, 1778, and died February 19, 1860.
Child of ABRAHAM BUCKMAN and REBECCA LIPPENCOT is:
i. ABRAHAM HARDING7 BUCKMAN, b. August 03, 1810, Bucks CO. Penn; d. July 12, 1882.
Generation No. 7
3. ABRAHAM HARDING BUCKMAN (ABRAHAM6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born August 03, 1810 in Bucks CO. Penn, and died July 12, 1882. He married LYDIA ANN (LIBBY) HOLLOWAY February 02, 1833, daughter of AMOS HOLLOWAY and HEPZIBAH STANTON. She was born February 12, 1812 in Nantucket, Mass, and died June 29, 1909 in Portland, OR.
Children of ABRAHAM BUCKMAN and LYDIA HOLLOWAY are:
i. THOMAS BUCKMAN.
ii. CYRUS BUCKMAN, b. August 1834; d. September 06, 1894,
iii. HENRY BUCKMAN, b. 1839, Marshall CO. Indiana; d. April 1898, Portland, OR.
iv. ISIAH BUCKMAN, b. January 17, 1841.
v. THEODORE BUCKMAN, b. January 21, 1845, Indiana; d. May 04, 1914, Seattle, WA.
vi. LYDIA BUCKMAN, b. May 04, 1847.:
vii. SARAH JANE (SALLIE) BUCKMAN, b. June 17, 1849; d. November 1928, Portland, OR. Aunt Sallie was never married. She lived in Portland, Or.
viii. ANGELINE BUCKMAN, b. July 26, 1851; d. Oregon.
Notes for ANGELINE BUCKMAN:
Angeline was married to a man named Richardson and later divorced. No children.
Generation No. 8
4. THEODORE BUCKMAN (ABRAHAM HARDING7, BRAHAM6, THOMAS5, THOMAS4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, EDWARD1) was born January 21, 1845 in Indiana, and died May 04, 1914 in Seattle, WA. He married KITTY ASHCRAFT January 07, 1868 in Marshall CO. Indiana, daughter of WILLIAM ASHCRAFT and ROSANA KEITH. She was born October 31, 1844 in Brocken Co, Kentucky, and died March 31, 1911 in Vancouver, WA.
Notes for THEODORE BUCKMAN:
Theodore came to Oregon from Indiana by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1868.
Notes of Kitty Ashcraft
Burial: April 02, 1911, City Cemetery, Vancouver, WA
Occupation: School Teacher, Housewife
Children of THEODORE BUCKMAN and KITTY ASHCRAFT are:
i. CORA BUCKMAN, b. October 16, 1869, Canby, OR; d. October 29, 1951, Vancouver, WA; m. ALVA MARTIN CONDIT, December 25, 1900, Multnomah Co,, Oregon, Home Of Lydia Buckman;
b. December 23, 1862, Aumsville, OR; d. May 14, 1949, Vancouver, WA.
Notes for CORA BUCKMAN:
The Buckman family owned much property in Portland Or. and Vancouver area. Much of the land around the LLOYD CENTER was once owned by Cora's uncles. This is still known as the Buckman district. The Condit family farm in Vancouver was an original donation land claim. The farm was 120 acres in size.
More About CORA BUCKMAN:
Burial: November 1951, Old City Cemetery, Vancouver, WA
More About ALVA MARTIN CONDIT:
Burial: May 17, 1949, Old City Cemetery, Vancouver, WA
ii. EVA BUCKMAN, b. April 01, 1877.
iii. M ATTIE BUCKMAN, b. October 30, 1880.
iv ROSIE BUCKMAN, b. March 12, 1872; d. December 10, 1884, Vancouver, WA.
More About ROSIE BUCKMAN:
Died young, Burial: December 1884, Old City Cemetery, Vancouver, WA
Last modified on Wednesday, April 03, 2002