Dewey Laverne CHURCHILL
- Born: 20 Jun 1898, Barre Center, Orleans Co., NY 1 2 3
- Married: 24 Oct 1923, St. James Episcopal Church, Batavia, Genesee Co., NY
- Died: 9 Feb 1971, Peninsula General Hospital, Salisbury, Wicomico Co., MD 2 3 4
- Buried: Bivalve United Methodist Church Cemetery, Bivalve, Wicomico Co., MD 5
Cause of death was Acute Myocardial Infection 4.
It became apparent that very shortly after his father died, he went to live and work briefly as a farm laborer for his uncle and aunt (Fred D. Hill & Janette Haylett) [source: 1915 N.Y. State Census].
On April 23, 1918 at Buffalo, NY, he enlisted in the Navy as Sea-2c for four years. His special duty for which he qualified was Storeroom Keeper. His service: Naval Training Station Great Lakes, Illinois from 23 April 1918 to 12 November 1918; Naval Training Station Hampton Roads, Va., from 12 November 1918 to 12 January 1919; Receiving Ship Philadelphia, Pa., from 12 January 1919 to 5 January 1920, U.S.S. Henderson from 5 January 1920 to 21 April 1922. He was Honorably Discharged on 21 April 1922. He was Commander of Eastern Shores Barracks 378, Veterans of World War I.
At the time of his death, he was District Commander of the Eastern Shore District Barracks. He was cremated at Cedar Hill Crematory, Washington, D.C. on February 10, 1971.
1. Occupation. 4 6 Sheet Metal Worker
2. Organizations. 6 Wicomico Barracks No. 378, World War I Veterans (Member & Commander)
3. Organizations. 6 Eastern Shores District Barracks (District Commander)
4. Military Service; 23 Apr 1918-21 Apr 1922. 7 United States Navy (Storeroom Keeper)
5. Military Enlistment; 23 Apr 1918.
6. Military Discharge; 21 Apr 1922; Norfolk, VA. 7 8
7. Cremation; 10 Feb 1971; Cedar Hill Crematory, Washington, D.C.
Dewey married Elinor Mary FULLER, daughter of John Mackean FULLER and Mildred Walbridge HAMMOND, on 24 Oct 1923 in St. James Episcopal Church, Batavia, Genesee Co., NY. (Elinor Mary FULLER was born on 9 Oct 1899 in Batavia, Genesee Co., NY 2 9, died on 28 Oct 1989 in St. Jerome Hospital, Batavia, Genesee Co., NY 2 9 and was buried in Bivalve United Methodist Church Cemetery, Bivalve, Wicomico Co., MD 9.)