by A.M. McKillen
Ft. Worth, Texas
September 6, 1898

Father's Side (McKillen)

This is written for future consideration. The object is to right wrong errors that may come up in course of time. My father's side of the family was of Scotch descent, or so called Scotch-Irish, having fled from Scotland in Bloody Queen Mary's time [editor: 1553-1558], settling in Northern Ireland. Their religious persuasion was Seceder, strict first. Now their occupation was linen weaving, yet he (my grandfather) had a small farm in Little Tully, County Antrim, Ireland - I think the size of the farm was 22 acres. He grew oats and potatoes and kept some cows and horses in the pasture. He paid 2.50 pounds an acre (Irish acres equal to 83 in America) and in 1820 it was raised to 5.50 pounds an acre (rent) - part of the cause of my father coming to Canada. My grandfather, Samuel McKillen came with my father to Canada and died in about the year 1825 of fever and ague in the Co. Chateauguay, Irish Concession. He was buried in the Scotch Presbyterian graveyard on the Chateauguay River. He died in the winter at age 51.

Now Samuel McKillen's wife's maiden name, if I remember aright, was Jane Sanderson. Again if my memory is correct, they were married sometime in 1797. In 1798 to them was born my Aunt Jane - the same year he joined the United Irish. That is Protestants and Catholics united to fight the English for freedom, but the Roman Catholics did not turn out and the whole fight was borne by the Protestants. President McKinley's grandfather was hung for that fight and the Irish Parliament was abolished. My grandfather was a Lieutenant at the Battle of Belfast, fought under General Dickson. When the day was lost, he rode his horse 18 miles to his house, cleaned his horse and had him on grass when the English officer and 12 men came to watch for his coming home. After the usual salutes of the day, the officer asked if Samuel McKillen lived there. Answered in the affirmative, he asked where he was. Answered, "Right here I am," the officer said in reply, "No, sir, it can't be possible." To the men he said, "Go and see to his horse - what he is like." They reported back fresh saddle, clean, all in order. "Well look again," said the officer, "what a sworn D___ lie. Mr. McKillen, we came just as fast as possible. Our horses are tired; we are going to stay with you 8 or 10 days and make the best of it." "All right, sir, and welcome." And all hands enjoyed themselves. Now the time rolled on and the arrest was made.

Then in August of 1800, my father was born. His birthplace was Little Tully, County Antrim, Ireland. Little Tully, if I remember, is near Ballymena. His name was David McKillen. Now whether there were any more children born to them or not I can't say, but my grandmother died by quick consumption six weeks sickness, leaving my grandfather, Aunt Jane, and my father, the two being rather small. Now I know by what my father used to say that there was a lapse of time before my grandfather married again, because he would talk of their keeping house. My grandfather married again and my Aunt Jane went to live with her grandmother Sanderson.

This is my recollection of what Father would tell. Now to them were born six children named as follows: Samuel, who went to sea but finally landed in the U.S. and settled in Missouri, Gentry County, Athens P.O.; Benjamin, who came to Canada and settled in Victoria Co. in Walcingham Township, Ontario; and John, Mary, Ann, and Rose who all stayed in Ireland.

Now right here I will say my grandfather Samuel McKillen had three brothers and a sister. His brothers' names that I remember were Matthew, Nathen (originally Nathaniel), and John, nicknamed Jack. Now in the year or about 1860, my father got the likeness of his sister Jane.

I think she married a man by the name of Sanderson, if I don't mistake, a cousin. They became wealthy but went bond for some party to the extent of sixteen hundred pounds or eight thousand dollars our money. While not made poor, they felt it somewhat severe. They were in business in Belfast I think. What family they had I don't know. Now about 1860 I think my father's uncle Nathen and his wife were alive, thought somewhat bent, and walked with their canes. They must have been between 80 and 90 years old. And here I will say that when my father in 1821 came to Canada, his grandmother was alive and 104 years old - now whether she was McKillen or Sanderson I can't say but I think Sanderson. She wanted him to stay until she died saying, "I will make it the best America you will ever see." Resulting from this, his sister Jane came next and consequently became rich. My father would talk considerably about his Aunt Rose in Turk [editor: Turkey?] Creek, South Carolina, and of his inability to go there, holding out the impression that if he had gone he would have got the property promised, but after the Civil War of 1861 to 1865 he would say everything is changed and it would be no use to go. And here I will say I have promised myself a trip there many a time, but financially I have not been able. The spirit is willing, but the purse is weak. Partially my coming to Texas was that I was getting nearer to the objective point. Another thing I failed to do that I had intended to was to have Father will me his prospects. But I did not, partially by neglect and partially for fear of raising a storm of opposition thinking that if the rest could do with things as they were, so could I. How simple. There is one thing I have come to see - if you act on your first impression you are sure to win; as 90 is 100, so are your chances.

My father David McKillen, born in Little Tully, County Antrim, Ireland, in the year 1800 in the month of August, was about 5 ft. 10 in. high, weighed 180 lbs., was fair skinned with jet black hair and eyes and red cheeks. He had long arms, a long body, broad shoulders (42 in. around bust), was square built, and had a disposition to resent any and all insults. He was not afraid of anything; no matter the shape of the hurricane, it caused him no uneasiness, nor fire, with all its fierceness, gave him the least concern. Apparently master at all times, he took to the water like a duck. He was ever ready to risk his life to save others. He swam the river from Montreal to Grand Island with his clothes in a bundle on his back. At the island, a military garrison, the guard stopped him, but an officer came to his relief and showed him the forts and sent a boat back with him. A Christian in all his ways, he was a free church Presbyterian in belief, raised a seceder, but changed when he got his majority. A liberal in politics, a reformer, he never sought an office.

He left Ireland in the Spring of 1821, I think, or 1820 at the age of 21 years. His father came with him. He started with the intention of going to his Aunt Rose in Turkey Creek, South Carolina, being promised or left a fortune there. He came by way of Quebec; landing there, the sun being hot or it being the hot season, he took brain fever and came near dying. Then making inquiry about South Carolina, he concluded it would be committing suicide. Consequently, he never went. He had some other cousins who came out and went out there - Ben McDowell and Alex McDowell, brothers. They have done well. I think they owned some large warehouses.

Now when he decided not to go to South Carolina, he took up land in East Canada known now as Quebec in the county of Chateauguay, Irish Concession, Howick P.O. He took up and lived and fathered 18 children on one hundred acres of land, living on the same for forty one years. He moved to Ontario in the Spring of 1864, Victoria Co., Virulane [editor: Verulam] Township, resided in Sheriff's Corners for four years, then moved north to Lot 28, third concession, Fenelon Falls P.O. stopping there until mother died in 1877 the 17th of April. She was his first and only wife and the mother of those 18 children. Then he moved in 1882 to Michigan Goodland Township. There he died in the Spring of 1888, and may his soul enjoy everlasting peace. Well after the attack of brain fever he set himself to make the best of the situation in that cold country of ice and snow and sunshine and locating on a heavy timberland farm, he took his axe to hew out a home. My grandfather Samuel McKillen, his father, died of fever and ague in the Winter of 1824 or 1825. He worked elsewhere (lumbering with the Willsons who tried to drown him for his wages - Jock and David and William - work done up the English River, timber oak) and then at home until the Spring of 1827 in March or April when he married my mother, who was 14 years old, he being 27 himself. My mother's name was Elizabeth Abbott, she being the fifth of seven children of John and Dorah Abbott of the Keelmene [editor: Kilmeen?] Estate, County Cork, Ireland. The family born to them were named as follows:

1- Samuel Jan 18, 1828 ---------- ---- *11- Alex. Murphy Dec 25, 1843
2- John 29 ------- 12- Wm. John Jan 4, 1845
3- Alen 31 ------- 13- Elizabeth 47
4- Jane 33 ------- 14- Mary 48
5- Charles 34 -------- 15- James E. 50
6- David 36 ------- 16- Benjamin 52
7- Ann 38 ------ 17- Mathew 54
8- Rose 40 ------ 18- John Millan Apr 4, 1856
9&10 -James & Willie 41

Now when my father and mother were married, the ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Watty then stationed at the Presbyterian Church on the Chateauguay River near Howick Village. [editor: Rev. Alexander McWattie served Georgetown Presbyterian Church 1822-1831 and is buried in the Georgetown Presbyterian Cemetery in Howick.] Here let me remark that Mr. Watty was acting though a minister of the gospel, yet there was some hitch in the legality of the marriage. It was legalized by Act of Parliament, passed in the fifties or there abouts I think. The reverend gentleman was given to drink it seems to me. He was burned to death or so that he died from the effects. He had a saying of his own in talking to his congregation. He would say don't do as I do, but as I tell you. An in those days the ale joyful could be had for 30 cents a gall. And I remember it going the round at 50 cents and good at that.

Mother's Side (Abbott)

Now for the other side of my father's house, that is my Mother's. And her maiden name was Elizabeth Abbott. Now this is the most interesting side, as at any time it may be noted. I fear I cannot do it justice. Now here is another piece that I charge myself of gross neglect over, for many a time I had thought of having a record of my mother's memory, but now I fall back on my own and try to get the links one by one so that if chance should require it, it may be used. For how often has the unexpected happened. I will now go back to the time of my grandfather John Abbott's episodes in connection with his own life, that is his own financially, as it was a fall from the top to the bottom or a day laborer having to hew out his own home in the new world. My grandfather Abbott's grandfather was, if I remember aright, Sir Arthur Abbott, the first governor of Gibraltar when taken from Spain by the English. History will supply the links here of his death and c-- [editor: word not finished.] He was given by the English government some large estates and some of his estates were in Ireland. The one I have the most to do with is one in the south of Ireland called,I think, Keelmene Estate [editor: Kilmeen?] and also the town of Bandon or Bantry Bay. Now it appears that my grandfather John Abbott was the only heir on the Abbott's side of the house and the English law required that everything be done by the English or Protestant church. My grandfather had ideas of his own. He saw and fell in love with my grandmother, then in her teens. The act was not in conformity with the dignity and custom of the House of Sir Arthur Abbott. Well in opposition to all, he got married to the choice of his affections. To make things worse, he got married by a Roman Catholic priest, which was very much against the law of entailed property. Now this estate was entailed, and though the law was somewhat modified at the time of the marriage, there was a hitch in it so as to cause a lawsuit that extended from about 1812 to 1818 or 1819. Then on some technicality the case was set aside and would have to be begun over again. Now the parties in the suit were cousins, I think, to my grandfather, from the female side of the family, which had no rights at entail when there was a male heir directly descendant. For some reason or another, neither of the parties were living on the Estate, but I think my grandfather was living in the city of Cork. In this suit the descent or right by entail was drawn up by my Uncle Charles Abbott, the next heir, being my grandfather's first and male heir. Like my grandfather, he was well-educated by was lax in determination, or rather where he had to contend with another; yet in trading he was firm and of one price and valued seclusion. When the case was set aside, the then Church of England minister on the Estate, with the most conspicuous persons on the Estate, offered to come and take him, my grandfather, and all his house and put him in possession and stand by him. In reply he said, "You want the weight of my body to break my neck." Well the short way was preferable to a lingering way by hard work. At that time in 1818 I think my grandfather got the idea of coming to Canada, because my Uncle Charles was coming to Quebec. To come to America he sold or leased the town of Bandon or Bantry Bay, whichever one he owned, for 99 years, which lease expires in 1918 or 1917. (See here, there might be some mistake in my memory as to the town's name.) He seemed to have another fifty acres somewhere, but I am not sure whether this is so or not, and it went likewise. And one expression he made when told about another piece of real estate he could use, he said that it is the tail; let it go with the hide, meaning the Estate to be the hide. Now he set sail for Quebec C.E. America in the Spring of 1819 or 1820 and after a perilous journey of 15 weeks, landed in Quebec. The ship was captained by one Smith who was demented and killed part of the crew on the return trip before he was overpowered and locked up. I think he had taken the ship so far north that the first mate rebelled with the above results. When they landed in Quebec and stopped a short time there, they came on to the city of Montreal and met a Judge. I think his name was McCord. He was going to Ireland by way of Quebec having some business to do there. He looked over my grandfather's papers and said, "Give me those papers and when I get through with Quebec, I will go over to Ireland and fix your papers and have you going back in six months to your home on the Estate." Right here it was as if he were doomed never to see it again. The Judge took sick and died in about three weeks of the time he left my grandfather in Montreal. His death must have been in the year 1820 or 1821 or about that time. My grandfather John Abbott after a time, along with the rest of his family, moved back into the forest of North Georgetown called the Irish Concession. My father's farm and theirs lined together. It was there where my Uncle Charles, my mother's oldest brother and heir to the estate at my grandfather's death by entail, married Mary Lannin. I think they were acquainted in Ireland. And Nathaniel Lannin married my mother's oldest sister, Mary Ann. Right here my Aunt Mary Ann who became Mrs. Lannin was married in Ireland I think. Now my Uncle Charles's family, the oldest was John - and descendant heir to the Estate by entail. Next was Charles, then Ann, Mary Ann, Betsy, William, and Francis. Three boys and four girls, seven in all, lived on a farm lined with his father, my grandfather. Now John, his oldest son, married one Eliza Mahhony or McMahonny. [editor: Mahoney] Their oldest or first born named Charles. He moved to Ontario settling somewhere near Owen Sound - Arthabask Township I think. And the rest of my Uncle Charles' family remained in Eastern Canada or Quebec about the old locality. Charles was a house carpenter, lived in Howick. Ann married a man by the name of John Gordon. Betsy married one Robert Rutherford. Charles married one Jane Simpson. Fany married a Scotch man - I forget his name. [editor: Records show she married Francis Robertson.] Mary Ann married Andrew Mathis.[editor: Mathews] William died by sunstroke in the sixties. Uncle Charles Abbott died somewhere in the seventies I think or in fact I am sure of it. He died at one Jamie Stewart's although he was well-fixed with the world's goods. (I think it was in or about 1878 that he died and aged about 80 years. Now what seems to me is that centennial year 1876, the Bennetts visited him on the old home.) His wife died prior to him about two years. This Mr. Stewart lived about one mile and a half north of him in the same concession. There is a coincidence here in the death of my grandfather and my Uncle Charles, his oldest son. My grandfather John Abbott lived on the farm and in time getting old made it over to his youngest son John. But before I take up the part in connection with his Last [editor: erasure and blank] I will mention the family by rotation as I remember them. My grandfather John Abbott married my grandmother in the year 1796 or about that time. Her maiden name was Dorah Hingston, being a line descendant of the Hingstons of England and of the DeCourcies of France. And if I have it right, they were noted people. (This name Hingston I may err, but I think not.) Now I can't say where the Irish came in, but she could talk the Irish language. I remember her well and I was quite a size boy when she died. Her death came in or between the periods of 1848 and 1853 and aged I think 70 or about that age. My grandfather John Abbott lived several years after her and died up on the Wtarr River [editor: Outardes] some 12 or 14 miles south of Durham Village [editor: later called Ormstown] and near Chateauguay Four Corners. He died at the age of 85 I think and about the year 1860. (The cause of death was some sort of a strain in his leg that brought on mortification.) In appearance, as I remember, he had a dark complexion and about 5 ft. 10 in., leaning forward with only one eye, having lost the other after he came to America by a chip or a knot flying from an axe. (The eye I think was his right eye and the losing after he came to Canada is to me as a dream and the more I think the more it seems so.) And in the prime of life, he must have weighed 160 to 180 pounds. He walked with a cane all my time. He was original in his expressions, though childish. He would sit watching the fire burning in the fireplace for long stretches of time with his hands locked and passing one thumb over the other. Yes, how much I would like to be able to recall those days, though somewhat mixed with happenings that will never be related in this or any other writing. My memory is as bright on most of the happenings as though it were yesterday, and when I allow my mind to dwell on them it brings a flush of joy only to be saddened by after event. Were I able to go back on that period with my experience what a different course I would take and what breakers I would shun. Yes, let me draw the curtain, for who knows but it was all for the best. Some time later on I may record some of the happenings where I was most concerned.

My grandfather John Abbott and his wife had seven of a family, listed by name and rotation:
Charles born 1798
Mary Ann
Elizabeth 1813 or 1814
John 1821
Now there were some born after they came to Canada but I cannot say how many or names, but I think they died before my time. Yet it seems John and Ann were born in Canada. Allen married a widow and lived upon the Wtarr River C.E. [editor: Outardes]. Her widowed name was Carlow or Carly. She had two sons by Carlow, Jim and John. Then by her marriage to my uncle, three, one boy and two girls, the first Charles, then Mary Ann, then Rose I think, but not sure as to Rose for the name. Mary Ann was about my age and came to school when I taught school, age 17 years. And the last I know of Uncle Allen, in 1880 at about age 70, he was living at Squaw River, Bobcaygon, Ontario. Next comes William Abbott, born in Ireland 1810 or about. Uncle William got blown up by a blast in the Lachine Canal when they were building the locks. [editor: in Montreal] The blowing happened when he was about 13 years old in about 1822. He recovered and got fifty of his father's hundred acres. Married Elizabeth Ann Mathis. [editor: Mathews] We usually called her Aunt Betty Ann. They had there living family of four, consisted of one girl and three boys. First was Dorah, next John, next William, next Charles. My Uncle William died in Michigan from the effects of a pine log rolling off the bobsleigh in or about 1864 in Goodland Township, Lapeer Co., Michigan, age 53 or about, and is buried there. His wife Betty Ann died the following year. John and William live in Lapeer City, Lapeer Co., Michigan. Charles died either in Anderson or Libby prison, aged about 20, in the sixties. Dorah died in or about 1870. She was my oldest brother Samuel McKillen's wife. They were cousins. My mother Elizabeth Abbott was born in 1813 or 1814, at the time Napoleon the first was sent to Elba as an English prisoner, born in Ireland . Married in the Spring of 1827. Died on April 17, 1877, aged 63. Ann Abbott, my aunt and mother's sister, born in Canada, married Andrew Bennett, her second cousin or maybe her first cousin. Now they had 13 of a family named as follows: Thomas, John, Charles, William, Dorah, Fanny, Edward, Lucretia, Elizabeth, Andrew, Ann, Mary Ann, Allen. I have forgotten the names of the last two, but appears as one was Mary and the other Allen. Now Andrew Bennett, my uncle by marriage, died in C.E. about 1866. The family moved to Missouri 1867 or 1868 in Northwestern Missouri. [editor: North "Estren" is the word used, but the towns named are in Northwestern part of Missouri.] Thomas farmed in King County and the others are in the next county. (Thomas's address - King City, Gentry Co., MO; Charles's address Empire Prairie, Andrew Co., MO.) The fifth child, Dorah, and me are of one age. Today she¸ is about 54 - 1898. Married one Mr. Brown. John became an Episcopalian minister. Tom, Charley, Andrew, and Edward were bachelors the last I heard of them. The other girls got married but don't know who. My Aunt Mary Ann married in Ireland a man by name of Nathaniel Lannin. Moved across the pond to Canada, settled in Irish Concession alongside of my Uncle Charles Abbott. They had 13 of a family born to them, and at one birth three boys and the three lived to become men. The family named as follows: Nathaniel, Eliza, Allen, Charley, Thomas, George, Joseph (those three are the twins [editor: triplets]) Robert, Ann, Dorah (this one died young), #11 and #12 I think died babes before my time, and Henry, the last some six months younger than myself. Now my Aunt died about 1860. Her husband dying a year or so before her. Both were buried in the Chateauguay Church Graveyard, 1 ½ miles west of Howick P.O. and so were those who died young and Nathaniel and Joseph. Now Nathaniel was about 31 and Joseph 26 years old. John Abbott, my mother's youngest brother, was born in Canada East, not sure, but about that time. Married about the year 1839 or 40. His wife's maiden name was Mary Gainer, of Irish descent. Her people lived on the English River, Chateauguay County. Now they had born to them six of a family or seven, as follows: John, Charles (nicknamed "Slippery Eel"), William, Caty, Dorah, Allen, Mickie or Michael - this one died at Glen Co., Ontario. My Uncle John Abbott had a farm on which they lived when he first got married. The schoolhouse was on one corner and the other end butted on a Blueberry Plains. Now about the time my grandmother died, or shortly before, my grandfather and grandmother made over their fifty acres to my Uncle John because he was the youngest and carried the name, so my grandfather said. Now my grandmother died on their place and in their house, having left their own to live with their youngest son, what proved not a comfortable change. Now about 1854 he sold this fifty acre farm and moved onto my grandfather's, his father's farm. And in a year or so sold and transferred it to his own brother Allen, and with it the obligation of keeping my grandfather, who was at this time over 80 years old. My Uncle John then about 1856 or 1857, moved west to Ontario to Glen Co. and buried his wife, and after a time he married another and moved to Michigan, Burnside Township, Lapeer Co. There he lived until 1881 or about that time, then was laid to rest, having raised a second family. And very sorry to say he never had more than enough and none to spare. Got through; that is all. Died aged about 60, but in those 60 years lived 90. Now before I go on with the rest, I will say a few words more about my Uncle Allen Abbott and his family. Now when my uncle married the widow Carlow, I think her given name was Barbara. If not, it doesn't matter. But what I want to say is short. After my uncle's marriage, for a time they appeared to get on smoothly until the three children were born. Then he would leave home and be gone for short periods and would get on an occasional spree. Finally after a time, say about ten years or so, then he went for good or the next thing to it. In the year 1862 brother Dave came up with him at Bobcaygon, Ontario, and he had gotten another wife he called Ann. His first I think was dead. Now from Bobcaygon he went to Squaw River in Harvy Township. Uncle Allen's oldest son Charles, when the United States civil rebellion broke out that freed the slaves, joined the volunteers from New York and fought in the Battle of Bull Run. Was in the cavalry and out of his company there remained only five others with him. Mary Ann married fairly well off, but some two years after, her husband got choked to death at dinner in a hotel in Beauharnois, leaving her a widow with one child. This was about 1862. Now the other girl I don't know anything of her since she was seventeen. I heard she got married, but who to I don't know. Charles went back to the war. That ends me of what I know. Now I have given a summary of my mother's brothers and sisters and their wives and husbands, and their children.

Then to follow up the heirs to the entailed state of Keelmene , South of Ireland, would run as follows: John Abbott Senior -- dead 1860
His son Charles Abbott Senior -- died in the 70s
His son John Abbott (junior) -- alive, I think in Arthabaska Twshp
His son Charles Abbott

This space is left to fill if I find that the last or second Charles got married and if he did, his first could be old enough to be of age. There is, or can reasonably be, three live heirs today, that is John Abbott Junior, his son Charles Abbott Junior, his son's son, all old enough, Sept. 24, 1898. Now I will make a note of the coincidence of my grandfather's death and my Uncle Charles Abbott, his my grandfather John Abbott's first born. Now let the reader note this and pause as he reads it what it is to do right or do wrong. My grandfather John Abbott died away from his own and among strangers at age 85, yet there were his daughters and sons with him in his last hours. But when I say he was with strangers, he was at my Uncle Allen's wife's house and about 20 miles from his own house, away from home. Now my Uncle Charles in duty-bound to his father, and means abundant to take care of him, and living about a stone throw between the two houses, he surely and ought to have kept him in his last hours. And now for the coincidence. My Uncle Charles, when nearing his end, also got away from his own and his own house and died among strangers even without his own. Now in the manner in which my grandfather died and my Uncle Charles died there was this difference, that grandfather had neither money nor property, having given it away for his maintenance. Yet he was entitled to his respect and the duty of his children. Uncle Charles had both money and property - land 150 acres, stock I don't know. But when I left in 1864 he had stock and utensils and furniture good 2,000.00 dollars and in the bank in Montreal somewhere about 2,000.00, yet died with strangers. And his family fell out with one another about the spoils. Some claim that Charles Junior's wife got the cash. Note Uncle Charles's family all but one lived within a radius of six miles and all in a sense were wealthy - but somehow, and I can't tell how it was that he got estranged from them. But when his eyes were clouded in death, they laid him aside and divided his property and someone of them got or robbed his trunk to the cash. This was laid at Charles Junior.

Here I will record what my memory leads me back to. When I was eight years old, one Charlotte Notter came from Buffalo, New York, with papers to my grandfather about the Estate in some paper edited in Buffalo or New York. This was about 1850 and since that time if it has been advertised again, I don't know. And here is another very important matter in connection with the Estate. There was a sinking fund created with a deposit of thirty pounds, or 150 dollars our money. This was never to be drawn out, but the interest only. It was in the Bank of England if I am right. This sinking fund was created by one of my grandfather's predecessors, now which I can't say. It was a set-up against the female side of the Estate so as to even the affair. In order to draw the interest, you had to possess the title to the Estate or be family of the heir. Now when my grandfather failed to force his case, he failed also to get this fund for his family. Somewhere in the past twenty years there was a modification of sinking fund law in connection with the interest of such funds where if it had accumulated it stopped and did not compound or it was reduced to a minimum. I believe those in possession of the Estate have drawn the interest if not forced to show good title and that there were no male heirs. Now it seems to me that the heirs being advertised for in 1850, that about 1900, they will be advertised for again.

As to why they did not look after this Estate business, there was a little personal matter. I will briefly state it here. First, my Uncle Charles got into trouble with my grandmother's nurse, his own mother's hired girl. He got her to force it on another man. This was expensive and to free himself he came to Canada. My grandfather and family came with him. Now this is his own confession to me, unsolicited and freely given. Then always having plenty, he would say, "What do I want with it? It would only be to help the rest and they would not thank me." He and his brother William had never spoken to each other in my time, for what, I can't say. It was discernible that the feeling that existed was a strong motive for him not to move in the matter. And then again, apathy grew as time widened the space with that everlasting thief Procrastination. Then total indifference was the next result. What can't man see the awful wrong in it? To write what I think of the whole affair - it is very much a "can indoubt". If John Abbott's family gets to work, they will unravel the whole affair and whether my mother's children will get any of it is to me a fuzzle. Yet we are entitled to it and may get our share. But to answer as to what I think, I would say I think not. Yet there is going to be a revelation of the whole affair, I will say inside of the next ten years or mayhap in five years. But beyond a doubt in and at the expiration of the lease of the tail that went with the hide.

That lease expires in 1917 or 1918. Now to say will I be living in that time, by age I can say I could be, as I would only be 75 or 76, but to answer will I be, the wish comes in and tries to govern thought or judgment and I will answer I expect to, yet I can't see how. Now take my idea 25 years ago. I then, like now, did not look for a long life, not to fifty years, yet I am 55 or 56 and feel good.

About the Author

Alexander Murphy McKillen was born on December 25, 1841, 42, or 43. He was baptised in the Georgetown Presbyterian Church by Rev. James Crichton Muir, on January 7, 1842, according to Chateauguay Valley Protestant church registers. He would have been a child of about 11 to 13 years old when his family left Quebec and moved to Ontario. He married Eliza Ann Metcalfe on March 8, 1871 in Verulam, Victoria County, Ontario, Canada. To them were born ten children, five in Ontario, one in Michigan, and four in Texas. The family arrived in the USA at Port Huron, Michigan in 1879. The family arrived in Fort Worth, Texas in 1882. Alex operated a grocery and meat market in Fort Worth. He died on August 21, 1915, in Fort Worth, Texas, 17 years after he wrote his Family History. Alex's widow Eliza died on May 30, 1953, at the age of 99.

Alex had broken his leg in 1898, giving him time to write his family history s as he recuperated. He wrote in pencil in his account book. The following are the figures found in the account book on the pages preceding the History.

Page One

Cash Paid for Meat

Oct 1892

3 pack H 7.85 this column

6 pack H P.L 1.60 is almost illegible

8 pack H P.L 1.65 because edge of

8 L. K 2.10 page has deteriorated

9 Row 2.80


10 P.H. side 5.80

11 P.H. side 1.65

(more, but difficult to decipher)

Page Two

11 January 1895

Sold shop for 50.00

And meat 10.00

Had cash 30.00

On books cr. 21.00


20 days rent 6.00

on meat in shop 28.95

for shop 60.00


got cash 70.00

due bill 14.95

due bill on meat 10.00


on hand

cash shop 70.00

cash meat sold 30.00


Paid Walter 40.12 Due on hog

On hand 59.90

" 14.95

On books 21.00

On meat 10.00


"The information on these pages is for personal use only and may not be copied or distributed in any form, printed or electronic, without the express written permission of Beverly H. Jones."