Perranzabuloe Graveyard and Church
Photograph by Steve Beazley, © Copyright 2002 - 2008
The parish of Perranzabuloe is in the Hundred of Powder, and is bordered by Cubert, St Newlyn East and Kenwyn, and on the west by the sea. Closely tied to St. Piran, who reportedly came to Cornwall from Ireland in 460 A.D., in 1835 an ancient church or chapel was discovered buried in the sand, which might be the actual oratory in which St. Piran himself officiated. (According to Carew, St. Piran lived over 200 years "in perfect health".) Reportedly, when discovered the chapel was 'perfect', but many parts of it were demolished and taken away by curiosity seekers. The sands have since been allowed to reclaim it.
The chief villages are Perranporth, Mellingy, Penhallow, and Callestock. At Perranporth, there was a 'tasteful' Wesleyan Methodist chapel; a large chapel of the same denomination at Mellingy, and a Bible Christian chapel at Penhallow. Perranporth also had a chapel of ease, and there were many, smaller chapels at various manors.
© Copyright Blanche Charles, 2003 - 2008
All Rights Reserved