Descendants of David Duff Seerie

David Duff Seerie



 

David Duff Seerie
 & wife Margaret A. Price
Denver Public Library
 Western History Collection
Photo by Joseph Collier ca. 1887-1900
 1643 Larimer Street
Denver, Colorado
This photo cannot be copied or reproduced without explicit permission of the Denver Public Library. A usage fee was paid by the author for use in this internet web site.

      David Duff Seerie, was the first born child of Edward R. Seerie and Margaret McLean Duff.  Born March 11, 1862 in Upper Finlarg, Parish of Tealing, Angus, Scotland.  David attended schools in the Parish of Eassie & Nevay where his father Edward R. Seerie managed the family farm, inherited from his father Peter Seery. David apprenticed as a stone cutter in the quarries near Dundee. 

     David, age 18,  immigrated to the United States in 1880, settling in Denver, Colorado.  For five years David Duff Seerie worked as a stone cutter in Denver, along with William B. McGilvray, age 18,  and Henry Sturrock, age 31, probably employed by "the contracting firm "Hayes & McGilvray" owned by John Duff McGilvray and Thomas Carroll Hayes.

     David became a United States citizen in 1886 obtaining his naturalization status at the Denver County Courthouse.  Mr. Seerie married Margaret A. Price December 28, 1887 in Denver, Arapahoe (now Denver County), Colorado.

    Mr. Seerie formed a partnership with William F. Geddes in 1885, starting a contracting business called "Geddes & Seerie."  William F. Geddes, age 35, a native of Ireland, came to Denver in 1880 after living in New York for ten years. 

    The "Geddes & Seerie" contracting company focused on large constructions projects including the building of Cheesman dam for the Denver Water Company, the Pathfinder dam in Wyoming (1905-1909), the Colorado State Capitol building (1890-1894), the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver (1892), the Trinity Church, the Iliff School of Theology, the Omaha Post Office building, and the Burlington Railroad Station at Omaha,  Nebraska.

 


William F. Geddes, David Duff Seerie, and Edward R. Ball
purchased the Denver Sewer Pipe and Clay Company in 1892 from James Green, William C. Miller, & George Steinmitz, who established it in 1889.  In 1900 the company added a brick manufacturing plant.   The manufacture of fire brick was begun in an additional plant in 1910. Denver Sewer Pipe and Clay Company also produced locomotive arch tile, used in the combustion chambers of steam locomotives. Denver Sewer Pipe & Clay Company, located at 45th and Fox Street in north Denver, covering thirty acres, became one of the largest employers in Denver with 300 employees. Extensive mining operations to bring in the raw clay for production were carried on in the areas near Golden, Castle Rock, and the Moffat Railroad. The Company eventually moved to Castle Rock in the mid 1980s.

The company has furnished brick and other clay products for most of Denver's large buildings, including Daniels and Fisher Building, Cosmopolitan and Park Lane Hotels, Colburn Apartments, the South, East, and North high schools, Lake Junior High School, buildings at Denver University, and Colorado School of Mines, St. Thomas Seminary, Holy Ghost Church, several hospitals, including Colorado General and Porter Sanatorium, as well as materials for many of Denver's fine residences. The Remington Arms, Kaiser Plant, Rocky Mountain Arsenal, much of Fitzsimons Hospital, and the permanent buildings of Lowry Field and Fort Logan.

 

 18th & Williams Street
Residence of David Duff Seerie

Biography of Margaret A. Price

Margaret the  daughter of David Price and Elizabeth, was born December 1866 in Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa. Both of Margaret's parents were born in South Wales. Margaret attended the University of Colorado. She was the Secretary Executive of the Board of Lady Mangers and a member of the Woman's club.  Margaret, suffering from tuberculosis,  went to California in January of 1906 in hopes of improving her health. She died February 21, 1906 in Los Angeles at the Good Samaritan Hospital.  David and Margaret had no children.

David Price and wife Elizabeth, natives of South Wales, were born 1828 and 1831 respectively. The Price family arrived in Colorado sometime before 1880 and settled in the foothills west of Boulder in the town of Caribou.  David Price and his three sons John R. Price, Rufus Price, and Edwin Price, miners, purchased the "Queen of the Valley Lode," in Magnolia, Boulder county September 1880.  The Price family moved to Denver in 1882 after selling the "Queen of the Valley Lode.  The eldest daughter Eliza Price married Thomas J. Davidson and removed to Salt Lake City, Utah while the youngest daughter Rhoda Price married Harvey George Morgan and removed to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

David Duff Seerie built a house at 18th and Williams in Denver which was valued at  $35,000 in 1898.  David served as sheriff of old Arapahoe County, (now Denver County), Colorado in 1901Mr. Seerie held the of Vice-president at Denver Sewer Pipe & Clay Company inn 1913 and was also on the Board of the  Moffat Tunnel Commission.  He was a member of the Board of Public Works for two years and the 14th street viaduct was built while he was on the board

David began to travel to Great Britain and Europe, after the death of his wife, Margaret A. Price in 1908. Mr. Seerie traveled extensively in the 1910s and is found in ship logs visiting Great Britain and Europe.  David Duff Seerie died December 23, 1917 at his home at 1358 High Street in Denver.  He was a 32nd degree mason, a Knight Templar, a past potentate, El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine, an Elk, an Odd Fellow, and a member of the Denver Club, the Overland Club (now the Lakewood Club) the Country Club and the Denver Athletic Club.  Both Mr. Seerie and his wife Margaret are buried at Riverside Cemetery. 

 

Back to Seerie Family History | Index |