INVERARITY & METHY Parish
Story by Barbara Lewellen,
The parish of Inverarity & Methy covers about three square miles. Information of this parish is scant.
The first parish church of Inverarity was built in 1243. The burial ground is represented by a mound planted with shrubs, opposite the west windows of Fothringham House. In 1395 the lands of Inverarity were in the possession of the Earls of Crawford, a branch of the Lindsay family. The village of Inverarity was in the possession of Alexander Burnett of Leys.
Sir Walter of Balgavies, the third son of David of Edzell, the ninth Earl of Crawford owned the barony of Inverarity and the patronage of the church in 1605 when he was killed by the young Master of Crawford. The barony was passed to Sir Walter's son David, who died in 1615; then passed to Walter, who passed the land out of the family in 1630.
The parish of Methie-Lour is first mentioned in 1264 when Hugh of Abirnithy, Chamberlain of Menmuir, received a charter for these lands. This land passed by marriage to the several families of Lindsay, Stewart, and Lesley. By 1466 the families of Lesley, Rothes, and Kynnynmonth had land interests in Meathie-Lour.
In 1639 Sir John Carnegie of Ethie assumed the title of Lord Lour. Lands were afterwards given by the 2nd Earl of Northesk to Patrick, his 3rd son, from whom the present Carnegies of Lour and Turin are descended.
Inverarity & Meathie-Lour parishes united
In 1612 the parishes of Inverarity & Meathie-Lour were united. Both were in the diocese of St. Andrews.
Inverarity parish church, built 1754
| Next -Inverarity Church and Kirk yard | Back to Index |