St. Rule's Parish Church
at Monifieth, Scotland
By Liz Smith, Dundee
St. Rule Church, Monifieth
St Rule’s Church is situated in the village of Monifieth in the parish of Monifieth.
The present building was erected in 1813/14 to replace a pre-Reformation building.
Christian worship has taken place on this site since the 6th century.
The graveyard is surrounded by a high stone wall and is well kept.
It is on a slight slope from the church down to the wall on the south boundary.
View of the Church from the south
It is a pleasant well-kept place but, according to one source, at some time after 1954 it was ruthlessly tidied and many gravestones were lost.
One of several old stones
| Next --->
Chalmers Family members buried at St. Rule ----->
| Back to Index |