Findern Township chapelry
and village, 5 miles S.W. by S. from Derby, extends round a green of about
2 acres. The parishioners are lords of the manor, and attend a court
leet at Litchurch held by the crown. It contains 1,622A. 2R. 22P.
of land, 92 houses, and 416 inhabitants. Rateable value, £3,457
10s. Rev. F.W. Spilsbury, Robert Erpe, John Drury, Thomas Milnes,
Rev. J. Hare, are owners. The Trent and Mersey canal, and the Birmingham
and Derby railway, pass through the township. The chapel, dedicated
to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a wooden turret and two bells.
It was new-pewed in 1796. It is a chapel of ease to Mickleover.
The Rev. John Henry Stokes is the curate. Here 67 acres of glebe,
belongs to the vicar. The Methodists have a neat chapel, erected
in 1835, and the Unitarians an ancient brick chapel, with pointed gables.
It is said traditionally that this place belonged to Lord Findern, in the
time of Richard III, and was confiscated after the Battle of Bosworth Field.
There are 22 velvet and silk looms here. Feast, Sunday after November
"An Account of the Population
of the Township of Findern, taken by personal survey of the Vicar Churchwarden
& overseer of the Poor May 29 1811." This was inserted
in the registers of All Saints church, a chapelry within Mickleover parish
by the then vicar, John Ward.
1827-1829 Trade Directory
Bagshaw's 1846 Trade Directory
Harrison's 1860 Trade Directory
following recent images of Findern village were sent in by Shelly Botham,
a very competent photographer and, at the age of 9, our youngest contributer
yet. Captions were provided by Maria Botham. Thank you very
much to both of you. Please click on the thumbnails to view full
size versions and other views.
|The Old Forge. The old village smithy, which is now a Day Nursery. (5 images)|
|No. 7 The Green, originally Hillside Farm, part of the Harpur-Crewe estate, and a working farm until 1952. The kitchen and bedroom are 17th century, the other parts have been added over the years.|
|Willow Farm on Doles Lane. It is an elegant 19th century building which was a working farm until 1990.|
|Views from Doles Lane up towards the Post Office. Next door to the Post Office was a thriving pub known as the Bull's Head up until 1914. [3 images]|
|The village pump was used until 1931 when mains water came into the village.|
|Somerville House. A gentleman's residence built in the mid-18th century with a fine high gateway to allow carriages to enter. The porch, wall and railings at the front were added in the 19th century.|
|Tower House was originally a windmill, built in 1715. From there, 22 churches can be seen on a fine day, including Lichfield Cathedral. By 1914 it had been converted into a dwelling. Edwina Currie lived here when she was an MP for South Derbyshire in the 1980s.|
|Mill Farm was where a couple of the Yeomans sons worked.|