THE SMITH BRANCH
(14) James Smith and Mary A. Smith (27Aug1817-09Apr1883)
Children: (15) Almond John (AJ) Smith (17Mar1836-06Apr1898)
(15) Cornelius James (CJ) Smith (b. 1840)
Born in McKean county, PA. Came to Tioga county with his mother in 1846, located in Farmington township.
Married to Mary A. Stevens of Tioga county in 1866.
They had five children. Was a member of the 1st Pennsylvania rifles for four years.
Was justice of the peace and proprietor of a hotel in Keeneyville.
(15) Almond John (AJ) Smith (17Mar1836-06Apr1898) and
Helen M. Croft (14Mar1841-20Dec1908)
AJ served in the Civil war. 42nd Regiment (Bucktails), Company A (The Anderson Guards).
He was recruited at Lawrenceville June 12, 1861, and was mustered out June 11, 1864.
His rank was Corporal and he was wounded (shot in foot) this wound bother him the rest of his life (per his daughter).
His commanding officers were Capt. Phillip Holland and Capt. John G. Harrower
Helen was the daughter of John M. Croft (25Dec1807-13Jun1890) and
Children: (16) Myrtle (Mertie) Smith Monks (1878-1962): married
Charles Monks (from Shortsville)
They had one child:
(17) Charles (Charlie) John Monks (1907-1976): never married
(16) Mary Rosalie (May) Smith Briggs : (1868-1952), married
Charles W. Briggs (1862-1925)
(16)Nellie Smith Close: (1872-1951), married Arthur Close (1871-1941)
Nellie and Arthur had three children:
(17) John C. Close Sr. (11Jun1895-24Feb1976):
married (1st) Marion Morton (12Aug1897-20Aug1956) in May1917
and married (2nd) Anna Mae Weaver Cane (18Aug1904-25Nov2001)
John and Marion had two children:
John Close Jr. and Helen Close Keeney
(17) Helena Close: married Elton/Alton M. Kingsley
Helena and Alton had one child:
(18) Allen Kingsley: married Kathryn Saxton (1st wife)
Allen married Janet (2nd wife) and lives in Texas
Allen and Kathryn had six children:
(19) Donna Kingsley: married Jack Payne.
Donna and Jack had a child:
(20) Meredith Payne:
(17) Ross A. Close: married Janet Almeda McDonald on 05Jul1942
Ross and Janet had four children: Charles, Martha, Lorian, and Donald.
(16) Bessie Smith: never married
(16) Marion J. (MJ/Maney) Smith (1866-1934):
married Maggie Wilson (1871-1964)
Maggie was a sister of Maizie Guiles. Maney and Maggie had one child:
(17) Robert W. Smith (1893-1942)
married Hazel B. Owlett (1896-1970)
(16) Hugh Smith
(16) Mary Rosalie (May) Smith (1868-1952) and Charles W. Briggs
Children: (17) Dean C. Briggs (1897-1993)
(17) Helen Briggs Stevens (1902-1994)
(17) Clifton M. Briggs (18Feb1904-Jul1976)
1908 BRIGGS/SMITH/CLOSE/MONKS PHOTO
(rear left to right) Charles W. Briggs, Mertie Smith Monks holding baby Charlie
Helen Croft Smith, Mary Rosalie (May) Smith Briggs, Nellie Smith Close holding
baby Ross Close, Bessie Smith
(front left to right) Helena Close Kingsley, Helen Briggs Stevens, Clifton
John Close, Dean C. Briggs
Photo taken by Hugh Smith about 1894 on a dry plate at a Methodist camp meeting at Presho, NY
Men (left-to-right) Frank Smith , Almond (AJ) Smith, Charles W. Briggs
Women (left-to-right) Myrtle Smith Monks, Helen Smith, Bessie Smith, Helen Croft Smith, Mary Stevens Smith
Helen Croft Smith Mertie/May??? Marion (Maney)
Smith Maggie Wilson Smith Nellie Smith
Helena Close Kingsley
This is a photo of a painting by Helen Croft Smith (estimated 1880-1890).
Link to: Cloos/Close/Smith Family site (by Meredith Payne Marsh)
Return to: BRIGGS FAMILY HOME PAGE