The valley that runs north from Losey Creek for approximately two miles is known as "Monkey Run". The valley road that runs north from approximately one mile north-west of Keeneyville (on the Keeneyville-to-Osceola road) is known as "Monkey Run Road".
The name comes from the family of one of the early settlers (Monke).
Some of the families that called this area home in 1875 were:
The major occupation of this era was agriculture.
Some of the other families that lived there in later years were:
Charles W. Briggs purchased a farm approximately one-half mile north of the Keeneyville-to-Osceola road in the year 1906/07. Other ajoining farms were later purchased (French and Harris) that expanded his holdings to approximately 350 acres. This farm stayed in the Briggs family until 1969 and was used for dairy, sheep and cropland.
Return to: BRIGGS FAMILY HOME PAGE