Andrew Herron Jr



Contact information on HOME page

Direct descendant is highlighted in red

Andrew Herron Jr   see FAMILY TREE
Born: Abt. 1805 Williamson Co., TN


Married: 1st  31 Aug 1831 Williamson Co., TN to Lydia Warren

Married 2nd: Mary (widow of Wilson W Whitehead) about 1845


From:"Marriages from Early Tennessee Newspapers 1794-1851" taken from cards at the Tennessee State Library and Archives in Nashville

"Herren, Rev. Andrew Jr. married in August 1831 to Miss Lydia W. Warren daughter of Edward Warren all of Williamson County.  The Western Weekly review - Franklin, Tenn. (Fri., Sept. 2, 1831)"

Andrew and his son, Parmenia, built this house on Elm Grove in Seguin, TX around 1850. From "Early Texas Homes" by Bracken and Redway, "The quarter mile drive leading to the Herron home is lined with old mesquite trees, gnarled and bent, folding their slender foliage overhead. They provide a lovely welcome to the house which is itself remarkably beautiful in many ways. The mellowing effects of age and care may be seen in the satin-like surface of the black walnut used for the interior strip. There is a pleasingly proportional mantel, and wide-board window and door facing are admirable made. An other feature is the fine stairway in the entrance hall, the rail of walnut has delicately tapered spindles three fourth of the height of the average person mounting the stairs." Originally there were 6 rooms and a root cellar. There were two large rooms with fireplaces on each side of the entry way with the lovely staircase, and two bedrooms with fireplaces upstairs on either side of the landing. Cooking was done outside."

The house was sold in 1867 to Captain F. A. Vaughan. The address is  906 Court, Seguin, TX
Died: bef. Oct 1864 Goliad Co., TX


Buried: Vaughan Cemetery, Seguin, Guadalupe Co., TX    


Andrew Herron


Mary Ann McAllister


Lydia W. Warren

CHILDREN with Lydia Warren

1. Mary Ann Elizabeth Herron  b.24 Nov 1832

2. Susan H. Herron b Abt. 1834

3. Parmenia Lamar Herron b. 20 Oct 1837

4. Lydia Warren Herron b. 20 Dec 1844

CHILDREN with Mary

1. George Francis Herron b. Abt. 1847

2. Laura V. Herron b. Abt. 1849

3. Samuel W. Herron b. Abt. 1851

4. Olivia Herron b. Abt. 1853

5. Anna H. Herron b. Abt. 1855

6. Rebecca Beall Herron b. Abt. 1859

In a biography probably written by Roy Herron (found in Seguin Library) the following was taken from the "Minutes of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of 1850" "Lydia (Warren) Herron died in Holly Springs, Marshall County, MS in December, a few days after her daughter Lydia Warren Herron was born. The infant was taken by her maternal aunt, Martha (Pat) Dabney (Warren) Smith to be reared with her family. The three older children remained with their father. Lydia must, however, have spent at least some of her summers with her father, because the 1850 and 1860 census show her in Andrew's household."

After Lydia died, Andrew married Mary Ann Whitehead, widow of Wilson W. Whitehead in Lexington, Holms, Co, Miss. She had four children and they had several more. Mary Ann was purported to be a wealthy widow. "Andrew's four children by Lydia Warren, whether it was warranted or not, heartily disliked their stepmother and took advantage of any opportunity to be away from home."

Andrew in 1847 is selling land belonging to the estate of his wife and her children from her first marriage in the amount of $20,000.00 dollars. By 1857 he and his second wife, Mary Ann, are selling the rest of the land for one Thousand Six Hundred dollars since they have moved to Seguin, Texas.

"In November 1850 Andrew Herron petitioned the courts of Mississippi to be appointed the guardian of his stepchildren and 'to remove said heirs and their property to De Witt County (in Texas). In the November 1851 term of the De Witt County Court Andrew Herron posted $20,000 for a bond, and it was decreed that an 'oath of Guardianship be issued" to him. The probate records show that the Herron family, the three Whitehead children (Elizabeth was 15 and not mentioned) and twelve Whitehead slaves went by boat from Tchula, MS on the Yazoo river to New Orleans. They apparently booked passage on another boat from New Orleans to Indianola, Texas, on LaVaca,  by the Mexican Gulf coast, then they went overland to De Witt county. A few years later Indianola was destroyed by a hurricane and never rebuilt. Apparently the family stayed only briefly in De Witt county before moving on to Gonzales, Texas. In any event, the records show receipts rendered to Andrew Herron by the Gonzales High School Association for tuition of Parmenia L. Herron and the three youngest Whitehead children on 18 April 1851, 11 January 1852 and 23 April 1852. The 23 April 1852 receipt show Andrew's address as Seguin, Texas."

After the move to Seguin, "Andrew's empire began to crumble. On 3 October 1860 Andrew and his wife Mary Anne, sold five slaves. Then by deed filed on 13 July 1860, Andrew mortgaged to A. J. Rugeley about twenty-nine hundred acres more or less in Seguin -- the homestead on which Andrew lived -- to secure a ten percent per annum note in the amount of three thousand four hundred sixty-four dollars and twenty-nine cents. Apparently Andrew could not meet this note when it came due. At a sheriff's auction in 1861 Andrew's homestead place was bid on by A. J. Rugeley, of New Orleans, for three thousand dollars." After Andrew lost his homestead place he moved with his family to southern Texas, possibly Goliad.
After Andrew died in 1864, his widow, Mary, moved to Limestone Co., TX. She and her children are listed there in the 1870 census.

Andrew had a quarry in partnership with the man that built the governor's mansion between the Gonzales and Guadalupe County line near the river.

He also was a Cumberland Presbyterian Circuit rider. He was preaching in Mississippi Synod about 1838. By the 1850's he is listed as one of the pioneers of the Presbyterian Church in Seguin. There is also a listing for a Capt. Andrew Herron November 1859 - January 1860 with the Texas Mounted Volunteers, Ringgold Barracks. In 1859 he led a company against the invasion of Juan N. Cortina on the Rio Grande. This may or may not have been our Andrew Herron.

.Menn, Alfred E. Travis County, Texas, District No. 9,
September 16, 1937 search results Slave Narratives
"Maggie Whitehead Matthews, 80, was born a slave on July 26, 1857, on the Rev. P. Herron cotton plantation at Gonzales, Gonzales County. Maggie's father, Jim, and mother, Tempe, belonged to the Wilson Whiteheads of Blackhawk County, Mississippi. When Wilson Whitehead died his widow, Mary Anne, married Rev. Herron, who brought one hundred and sixty slaves to Texas. This occurred in the same year in which Maggie was born, 1857. Maggie's parents had thirteen children, and Maggie believes she is the last of the children still living. Her mother died at the age of one hundred and eleven years. Maggie has never been to school but she bought a blue back speller and taught herself to read, she is unable to write she says. When she was nineteen years old she married her first husband, Spencer Phillips. They had seven children, of whom only one, Sarah Edwards, still is living. Her second husband was Ben Matthews. They had no children, but Ben was her favorite husband and she has retained his name to this day, despite the fact that her third husband's name was Tom Richards. They had no children. Maggie now resieds with her daughter, Sarah.

"When I was a girl my name was Maggie Whitehead. I was bred (my mammy was pregnant) in Blackhawk County, Mississippi and den my folks was brought on to Gonzales, Gonzales County, Texas. I was told dat I was bawn on de same night dat we got dere, on July 26, 1857. Dat means dat I'm now eighty years old, and I've seen many a year, much hard times, and plenty of devilment, I sure have.
"Wilson Whitehead was de mawster dat owned my parents back in Mississippi. My folks told me dat he sure was a good man. He treated folks right. When Mawster Whitehead died, his wife, Mistress Mary Ann, met and married da Parson Herron. She met him when he was pastor of a church, I think.
"It was dis Parson Herron dat brought my folks on down here to Texas. He den got a laghe cotton plantation at Gonzales. He brought some one hunnert and sixy odd slaves to Texas. De Herrons had five chillun.
"Mummy's name was Tempe Whitehead. She had thirteen chillun. I am do only one of 'em livin', I think. I did have a brothaw up in Little Rock, Arkansas. I kain't even remembah de names of my brothaws and sistahs no mo'e.
"My mummy was a low, heavy-bodied woman. She was a midwife de biggest paht of de time. Whenever de neighbors wanted her, she was sent over to wait on 'em. I don't know whether she got paid or not. Dey always took her to her job and got her again when she was through. Mummy died twenty seben years ago on last November 25. She was buried on a Thanksgivin' day. She was one hunnert and ten years and eight months old.
"She was a good midwife. Sometimes she had to help in de fields, though. We lived in a little log cabin on de Herron place. Frances was my oldest sistah and she done most of de cookin' fo'us chillun. A certain amount of food was give to us each week, and it had to last us dat time. We'd git a bushel of dis and a bushel of dat. Dat sure had to lst us fo' de week.
"Father was Jim Whitehead. He was a tall, broad man, and he was part Cherokee Injun. Fathaw was called a extra-good blacksmith on de Herron plantation. He could make a key, or a plowshare, or anything else dat had to be made by hand. He was might good at shoein' hosses and later in life he worked on de stage lines and shoed all of de hosses. Dem hosses on de stage line never did know whut it was to go in a easy trot, 'cause dey was made to lope all of de time. I was small at dat time and I never did git to ride in a stage coach, but we could always see 'em, 'cause de passed right by de Herron place. We heard how a lot of time de folks in de stage coaches was held up and robbed. De little white chillun would read about it and den git to talkin' about it.
"After freedom fathaw had his own blacksmith shop in Lockhart, down in Caldwell County. He got paid fo' his work now. He'd made de iron paht of a plow and chaghe a dollah fo' it. Den we moved on down to St. Mary's Bay, near Corpus Christi. A white man by de name of Chambers got him to run a blacksmith shop down dere. We den moved around quite a bit and den we come on up to Austin. But fathaw never come wid us 'cause he died up in Little Rock, Arkansas. Dat's a long time ago, a long time befo' mummy died.
"When we was kids durin' slavery we'd go out and play ring games and make speeches. De little white chillun would learn us our speeches and den we'd say 'em to one another.
"But we never was showed our A. B. C.'s. We couldn't even be caught readin'. Jes' to be caught lookin' at a clean sheet of paper was enough to git a scoldin', but to look at a piece of paper dat had writin' on it and if we made lak we knowed whut was wrote on it we sure got a whoopin' fo' it. I couldn't read at dat time but many was de time dat I was caught lookin' at a piece of paper wid writin' on it and I got a whoopin' fo' it. I had told 'em dat I could read whut was on it.
"I haven't been to school one day in my life. De only time dat I was in a schoolhouse was when my parents was invited to a closin'day pahty at a school. I enjoyed de pahty very much, but I jes' never went to school. I learned to be a good speller, 'cause fo' twenty cents I bought me one of dem blue back spellers. Dere was many a time dat I could out spell de folks whut had sent to school. Dey was small words but I could spell 'em. I never did learn how to write though. Many was de time dat I wished I could write, 'cause I wanted to write about my life. I've lived a long time and seen a lot of devilment, yo' know.
"About six months befo' freedom Parson Herron died, his boys den took care of de big plantation. We was den willed to Ferdinand and Mattie Rogan at Lockhard. Mattie had been a whitehead of Mississippi. Mistress Mattie is de one dat told me how old I am. She had her mothaw's Bible, dat had all of her slaves' names in it. It was Mawster Rogan dat told us on June 19, 1865 dat we was free.
"I remembah den how our first Nineteenth was celebrated on June 19, 1866, and de song we sang was
De Blue Bonnet Flag
Hurrah fo' de Blue Bonnet Flag
Hurrah fo' de home spun dresses'
Dat de colored wimmen wear;
Yes I'm a radical girl
And Glory in de name -
Hurrah fo' de home-spun dresses
Dat de colored wimmen wear.
"I was nineteen years old when I got married de first time. My husband's name was Spencer Phillips. We got married down in Gonzales County. We had seben chillun. Sarah, de girl dat has been takin' care of me fo' so many years now, do only one living'. Spencer fahmed most of de time and many was de time dat I went out into de fields and picked my four hunnert pounds of cotton a day. When we picked cotton fo' other folks we got about fifty cents a hunnert pounds. Some of de folks give us our sacks and some of 'em made us furnish our own. De slaves used baskets to pick in durin' slavery time. I kin remebah how old Uncle Mose used to make dem baskets. He made de baskets from de split-wood of the wild chinaberry trees.
"My second husband was Bet Matthews. He was a fahmer too. We was married in New Braunsfel. We never had no chillun. I liked Ben best of alll my husbands. I keep his name till dis day.
"Tom Richard was my third husband. We got married down in Lockhart. Tom was a fahmer. I didn't have no chillun wid him. Den I had to separate from Tom 'cause he was so cruel to me. I stayed wid Sarah from dat time on. She de only child at I got livin' "