AMERICA THE GREAT MELTING POT
Contact information on HOME page
Direct descendant is highlighted in red
|Born: Abt.1796 New Madrid, MO
|Appears on the tax list of Breckinridge Co., KY in 1817|
|Married: 20 Feb 1817 Breckinridge Co., KY
|Record Bk 1, pg 52 Breckinridge Co. by Rev. H. A. Moorman|
|Died: 1868 Arkansas|
Dicey (Linda) (Cyndice) Marcum or Markham
d. 03 Dec 1849 KY
1. James M Shepherd b. Abt.1821
2. Rhoda Jane Shepherd b. 30 Sep 1823
3. John Allen Shepherd b. May 1828
Hiram Shepherd is listed in the 1820 census for Stephens Port, Breckinridge Co., KY age between 16-26 with a female 10 -16 and two males under 10.
Sep 18, 1824 John Patterson and Betsey his wife of the county of Breckinridge selling land to Othello Williams. Witnesses are Nathanial Marcey and Hiram Shepard.
In 1830 there is a Hiram Shepherd in Vermillion Co., IN between 30 and 40 with a female 30-40 and a male under five, a male 10-15, a female under 5, and a female 5-10. There is no Hiram Shepherd in Breckinridge Co, KY
|There is a land purchase in Vermillion Co., IN on July 13, 1826 by Hiram Shepherd (see copy of deed to the right) witnessed by John Shepherd (probably his brother who later turned up in Iowa)||
|The same land is sold on October 15, 1827 by Hiram Shepherd and wife Dicey|
Hiram's brother, Ben Shepard, had purchased 700 acres of land in Vermillion Co., in 1824.
From Newport and Vermillion Township The First 100 Years 1824-1924
Hiram Shepard purchased lot 54 in 1826 and lot 53 in 1828 and lot 76 in 1830 and lot 72 in 1831
"Lot 72 This lot like Lot 56 on the north side of the square was too long east and west for one business so it was inevitable that it would be cut into pieces facing Market Street. These pieces became five in number and for the sake of simple and permanent identification will be called for the purpose of this Book Locations 1 to 5 with Location Number 1 on the west end of the Lot facing Main Street and Location 5 on the east end of the lot at the alley and facing Market Street.
The very early lot owners of course bought entire lots. The first owner of Lot 72, as shown on the Map of the Square, was Daniel Rodgers in 1829, followed in two years by S. B. Gardner who was buying lots all over town as speculation. Then Hiram Shepard, Robert Nixon and Joshua Wilkerson with no actual evidence that any of them had any business there but they probably did. Wilkerson was in business but on Lot 73 across the street. After Wilkerson lost it to the State Bank of Ind. in 1846, Sexton and Shepard came in 1854 and the known business history of the lot began with them. They operated a store there in partnership for six years when Sexton became sole owner. Nothing known of the building Sexton and Shepard were in but when Sexton bought Shepard's interest he tore it down in 1861 and put up the building that was to stand there over sixty years until torn down about 1930 to build the filling station there now. This was and is Location 72-1."
Biographical and Historical Record Vermillion County, Indiana, 1888 pg 207
"Ordered, That Hiram Shepherd, administrator of the estate of William K. Kennedy, deceased, be allowed a credit of $39 on said estate, he having produced sufficient vouchers for the sum."
from first page of probate record. About 1827
Hiram was administrator to the estate of his brother-in-law, William S. Blanchard, in 1830. It was an "insolvent Estate."
Hiram bought and sold land until the last purchase on 03 Aug 1831 from Stephen B Gardner for $109, Lot 72
Hiram mortgaged to James Thompson, Commissioner of the School lands, the NE quarter section of twenty seven (27) in 1830. There is a note that the mortgage was paid in full 19 March 1833.
Hiram and his family then moved back to KY where his wife died in 1849. He then moved to Arkansas. A biography on his son, John A. Shepard is shown below
History of Benton, Washington, Carroll, Madison, Crawford, Franklin, and
Sebastian Counties, Arkansas. From the earliest time to the present, including a
department devoted to the preservation of sundry personal, business,
professional, and private record
Location Leister E. Presley, Goodspeed Publishing Co.
John Allen Shepard, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Vermilion County, Ind., in 1828, and is a son of Hiram and Linda (Markham) Shepard, who were born, reared and married in Kentucky, the latter event taking place in 1816. They resided on a farm in their native State until 1826, then moving to Indiana, where the father worked at the blacksmith's trade until 1832. They then returned to Kentucky, and eventually became the owners of a fine farm of 400 acres, but sold out and came to Arkansas in 1859, where he died in 1868. His wife died December 3, 1849. They became the parents of six children, only three of whom lived to maturity: James, Rhoda J. and John A. The latter was reared on a farm, and learned the blacksmith's trade of his father. In 1851 he was married to Miss Frances Wilson, and after farming in his native State until 1857 moved to Randolph County, Ark., and engaged in farming. His wife was born in Virginia, and died in 1861, being a daughter of James Wilson, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and the mother of five children, all of whom are dead. In 1862 Mr. Shepard joined the Confederate army, and was on active duty, under Gen. Price, until the close of the war. He then returned to his farm in Randolph County, and in connection with his agricultural labors worked at his trade. In 1865 he was married to Mary S. Killcrese, of Randolph County, and in 1870 came to Washington County, and has since been a farmer of the county. He has 175 acres of land, with ninety acres under cultivation, on which are good buildings and a nice orchard. Mrs. Shepard was born and reared in Mississippi, and is the mother of nine children; Celert, wife of James Graham; Ben, John, Clyde, Quincy, Hiram, Lambert, Everett and Mary. The family are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.