Browning, James H
Browning, Jeremiah (p. 405) Jeremiah Browning b. 19
November 1825 in New Jersey, the son of William and Grace (Fish) Browning. Both
paternal and maternal grandparents lived near Philadelphia and his parents lived
in Gloucester County, New Jersey until 1839. Jeremiah married 1)Mary Randleman
in 1854, she d. in 1859; three sons: George, William and John. He m. 2) Sarah
Walker in 1870 and had six children: Susan; Edith; Mary; Grace; Charley; and
(Ref: Condensed data acquired from the History of Louisa County by Arthur Springer published in 1912 and now out of print; with appropriate page numbers listed where the complete biography can be found. Louisa County, Iowa - Biographies - A to E by Norma Jennings, NJennings@lisco.net)
DEACON WILLIAM BROWNING was a settler of South Kingstown and lived near Burnside, owning the farm and hosue now occupied by George W. Browning, his grandson. His house was frequently used for religious gatherings as meeting houses in those days were few in number. This farm was deeded to him by his father and descended to his son George H. Browning, who was born on the place, lived there until eighty-two years of age, when he died in 1885. The children of William Browning were: William T., whose daughter became the wife of William F. Segar; Stanton, who at one time operated a mill here: Abial Tripp and George H., who remained on the homestead. George H. Browning married Eliza W. Browning, his cousin, who was the daughter of Stephen Browning, who lived where Stephen W. Browning now lives. George H. Browning was a farmer and was a deacon of the Baptist church for forty years. His son, George W. Browning,  lives on the homestead. He was a member of the town council 1870â€“71, 1881â€“82, 1884â€“87. By his first wife, Elizabeth N. Crandall, he had two children: Mrs. Edwin S. Agard of Tolland, Conn., and Frederick D. Browning, a graduate of Columbia College. He married for his second wife Miss Waity E. Tefft.
From the book "History of Washington and Kent Counties, Rhode Island" by J.R. Cole, published 1889, New York, W.W. Preston & Company. Beginning on page 542.
William Browning This gentleman is the son of Francis and Jennette Alexander Browning, and was born in Russell County, Virginia, April 17, 1820. He received his education at Abingdon College, and continued to reside with his parents till their death, when he was about sixteen years old. Soon after this, although barely in his seventeenth year, he took charge of a wool-carding machine and saw-mill, and ran them till he was thirty-five years of age. He was married on the twenty-first of April, 1842, to Miss Rebecca Fuller, a daughter of Isiah and Mary Burk Fuller, and she was born in Russell County, Virginia, on the first of September, 1823. Mr. Browning came to Missouri in 1855, and bought a farm in Linn County, where he has since resided. He owns one hundred and twenty acres in Enterprise township, on which he and his family still reside. His place is all under cultivation, and is in good fix as a comfortable home. Mr. and Mrs. Browning are the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are still living. One son and two daughters still live with their father. John Marion Browning, who still lives with his parents, was born January 14, 1855, in Sullivan County, this state, and received his education in the common schools. He is a young gentleman endowed with fine business qualifications, and will, doubtless, achieve success in life. Mrs. Browning is a member of the Methodist Church, and marched forward in the cause of Christianity for over thirty years. Mr. Browning may well be proud of his family, and of the fair reputation he has built up as an upright citizen and faithful man.
Reference: History of Linn County, Birdsall and Dean, 1882 pp. 803-804.