Before Buriton Parish was separated from Petersfield and Sheet in 1886, it extended about 6 miles from it's southern boundary of Chalton, to it's northern boundary of Steep, and had three townships, Buriton, Nursted and Weston in addition to the now detached Sheet. The Population in 1841 was predominantly agricultural or related to the various estates.
Nursted had a total population of 133, three farmers and 14 farm labourers, it boasted a large and beautiful House, not far from the Sussex border. Nursted Farm was tenanted in 1841 and 1851 by THOMAS MAXWELL, born in Harting Ssx, WILLIAM GOODEVE from Greatham was the tenant in 1871.
FIELDER KING a yeoman farmer at the Manor House, had 5 resident servants and Rev. CHARLES BOYLES at the Rectory, had 6 resident servants.
A major land owning family were the BONHAM CARTERS in residence at Ditcham, outside the village. Old Ditcham Farm was leased by WILLIAM CHASE, in 1841 EDWARD DOUBENS who was born in Norfolk leased it in 1851, and in 1871 it was WILLIAM BOYS, a native of nearby Chalton.
Weston Farm was held by the SEWARD Family from 1841 to 1871. In 1851 HENRY LUXFORD, aged 62 a Limeburner was at Butser Hill, his son HENRY LUXFORD aged 32 taking his place 1861 1871 and 1881, but at the age of 62 he was living in the village. In 1851 JOHN SMITH was described as a Publican and Postman, resident at the Jolly Sailor.
Industry was present within the village as Parchment Manufacture. The social structure of the Parish in 1841 can be described as landowner and tenents, Farmer and Ag Labs.
The Parish Church was and is St Mary's. The Village pond with the Church to the rear, was always a popular beauty spot, but was very much a working pond. Horses were taken for a wash down; those from Buriton's Lime Works were often coated with chalk and mud. Families of the Lords of the manor and villagers are now entombed side by side in the Church graveyard. In the Seventeenth Century, it was required that the dead be buried in "Sheepes Wool" apparently a measure to protect the wool trade and maintain prices.
History of St Mary's Courtesy of Chris & Caroline at SOUTHERN LIFE (UK) http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~villages