CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL
Catholic High Schools are the complement of the parochial school system. They are founded to continue the work of education under Catholic influeuce and a auspices. Hamilton has long felt the need of such an institution. In 1903 the Federation of Catholic Societies determined to meet this want and establish a Catholic High School. The Reverend Pastors were deeply interested in the newly launched project, for just an institution had been contemplated for years.
Active work was at once commenced, but, owing to difflculties to be surmounted, progress was slow. At a mass meeting of all the Catholics held under the auspices of the Federation at St. Stephen's hall, a committee was chosen to to take the matter in hand. The committee was composed of active men, and under their direction the work soon took form.
His Grace, the Archbishop of Cincinnati, heartily approved of the new movement, took personal interest in the undertaking and did all in his power to make the High School a reality and a success.
(location of Hamilton Catholic High, 1909-1922)
Great enthusiasm was manifested by the business men of Hamilton who subscribed more than $1,500 to the fund. Other subscriptions were received, and soon the fund was of such proportions as to warrant the committee to proceed in its work.
The committee on location held an option on several sites; and finally, selected the Morey property, located at the southwest corner of Sixth ard Dayton streets. The location is central, the surroundings beautiful and hygienic.
The school was placed under the direction of the Brothers of Mary. This well known Brotherhood is devoted to teaching, and conducts flourishing schools and colleges in all parts of the world. In 1849 an estate was purchased near Dayton, where now stands the noted institution of St. Mary's. A present the Brothers of Mary conduct nine colleges aud forty-nine schools in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Hawaiian Islands.
The object of the Catholic High School is to educate in the true sens of the word. The course of studies has been planned to develop all the faculties of youth, to inculcate habits of integrity and carefulness, to make of him a Catholic gentleman and a useful member of society.
The course of studies comprises all the branches usually taught in every high school. In September, 1911, a commercial course was introduced at the request of several patrons; it comprises bookkeeping, stenography, commercial English, commercial law, commercial arithmetic.
For two years the high school has maintained a preparatory department, but in 1911, the several parochial schools having established their own eighth grades, the preparatory ciass was discontinued.
Any young man who has completed the work usually assigned to pupils of the eighth grade is eligible to the high school, provided he can present satisfactory testimonials from the school last attended
Every facility is offered to the students to advance in study. The limited number in each class enables the teacher to give personal attention to every student; the daily study periods permit the young men to confer privately with their instructors; a select library of reference, fiction, and general literature is open to all students; modern, well-equipped laboratories are at the disposal of the respective classes; literary and reading clubs offer an opportunity to cultivate self-confidence, ease and self-possession in public.
The rank of each student is determined by daily recitations, weekly written tests and semi-annual examinations. Summarized monthly reports are forwarded to the parents, who are thus kept informed of their son's conduct and application.
The discipline is firm, yet mild and parental, and appeals chiefly to the student's conscience and sense of honor.
The governing body of the school is the Board of Wardens, which consists of the president and wardens. The president is one of the resident pastors, and is appointed by His Grace, the Archbishop of Cincinnati. Rev. F. Solanus, O.F.M., was the first president, and upon his removal, Rev. J. H. Holthaus, was nominated.
The wardens are selected two from each parish. They hold office for two years, one-half of the members being renewed each year. The following have already filled this office: St. Stephensó George Krebs, Joseph Marr, George Holbrock, Anthony Varnskuhler; St Joseph's -- Anthony Duellmann, George Kroger, Joseph Wulftang, Alphonse Pater, William Pater; St. Mary'só James Murphy, George Cowen, Edward Gardner; St. Peter's -- Edward Weber, Theodore Bieker, Robert Fallert; St. Veronica's--Anthony Brinck, Lawrence Luetti, Bernard Kirsch; St. Ann's -- Joseph Wessel, John B. Albright.
The Catholic High School has its history to make. The past has been encouraging, and if the past foreshadows the future, great things may be expected. The school opened in September, 1909, with an enrollment of 34 in the high school department. Since then the enrollment has steadily increased. In 1910, 37 were in the high school department, and in 1911 the number has increased to 59.
The present building is crowded to its capacity, yet next year a senior
class must be opened and a physical laboratory installed. The Board of
Wardens has successfully surmounted every obstacle that has presented itself,
and with the hearty cooperation of clergy and laity, will devise ways and
means to give every needed accommodation to the constantly increasing student-body.
St. Stephen Parish Souvenir, 1934
The opening of Hamilton Catholic School for boys supplied a long felt need. For several years, this institution had been planned. Finally a plot of ground at the corner of Sixth and Dayton Streets was purchased. An old residence which was then standing on the property was remodeled to serve as a school building.
The Society of Mary, a religious order of teaching Brothers, was entrusted with the operation of the new school. Bro. Edward Knust, S.M., of Dayton, Ohio, was appointed the first principal.
The doors of the new building, which was called Holy Trinity Catholic High School, were opened to admit the first group of students, September, 1909.
Classes were conducted in the old building until 1922, when a modern structure was completed and ready for occupancy. The ever increasing size of the student body soon warranted the expediency of this improvement.
Under the able tutelage of the Brothers of Mary, despite the comparative youthfulness of the school, many of its graduates have distinguished themselves in diverse professional and business fields.
The present enrollment of Catholic High School is 243 pupils. The faculty consists of eight religious and one secular teacher, under the able leadership of Bro. Anthony Saletel, S.M., principal.
Hamilton Catholic High School is a free school. It is supported by the
Catholic parishes of Hamilton. The pastors of the six local churches form
the school board, with Rev. Diomede Pohlkamp, O.F.M., as president, Rev.
Henry Graman, secretary, and Rev. Albert VandenBosch, treasurer.
© 2000 by the Butler County Historical Society