A History of Mercy Hospital:
One of the most valued and time honored institutions in Hamilton is the Mercy Hospital.
Sisters of Mercy, who supervise the operation of the hospital, have been devoted to the physical and spiritual welfare of rich and poor alike for more than 40 years. More than 100,000 patients have been under their attentive care in that span.
Mercy Hospital can point with enviable pride to two great epochs in its long and honorable history. In 1913, when the great flood struck the Miami Valley, the institution sheltered hundreds of patients. The second major catastrophe which demonstrated its worth to the community struck the city in the form of an influenza epidemic in 1918. More than 500 patients were housed and cared for. More than 90 per cent of the patients were unable to reimburse the hospital for its services.
Dedication of the Mercy Hospital took place on October 4, 1892, following
purchase of the Hurm and Campbell properties. Then followed many years
of planning for a much needed addition, and the Sisters of Mercy realized
their most cherished hopes in May, 1928, when the new wing of the "Greater
Mercy Hospital" was dedicated to the greater
service of humanity.
For many years, the late Rev. Father Capistran Heitman, O.F.M., was
the venerable chaplain who ministered to the spiritual welfare of the sick
and dying at the institution. He was beloved by Catholic and Protestant
alike for his words of sympathy and cheer.
His successor as chaplain is Rev. Father Casimir Dietrich, O.F.M., who is now engaged in this mission of mercy.
(from St. Stephen Church Souvenir, 1934)
© 2000, Butler County Historical Society