Caro Center( Historic Asylums)
Other names: Farm Colony for Epileptics, Caro State Home for Epileptics, Caro State Hospital, Caro
Regional Mental Health Center.
Originally established in 1914 in Wahjamega southwest of Caro as a Farm Colony for Epileptics;
currently named Caro Regional Mental Health Center. Recently functioning as a
mental health facility with programs for both the developmentally
disabled and the mentally ill. Still in some sort of
operation (2002) with many buildings remaining. Caro is located in the western part of
Michigan's Thumb region. Caro is located about 40 miles north of Lapeer, where the
"Lapeer State Home" was located. The buildings are very visible just south of highway M-81.
Administration: A large building in the typical style of
1930s institutional buildings with an addition on the front that
looks like it is from the 1970s. There is a Michigan state seal high
up on the front of the older part. Still in use, but most buildings appear to be
Water Tower: white, metal
Power Plant: Similar to power plant buildings at other larger
Cottages:. Several one-story house-like cottages are found on
Houses: Also found on the grounds are several buildings that
Other: One building is labelled Murray Hall. A large prison camp
is located south of the grounds.