On the 20th of July, 1917, we left Ft. Williams, Maine, for the mobilization camp at Ft. Adams, Rhode Island. We arrived there in the afternoon of the same date. On the 21st of July, 1917, we were officially designated as Battery F and Battery G of the 6th Provisional Regiment, C. A. C. Previous to this change we were the 3rd and 4th Co's C.A.C., Ft. Williams, Maine. We remained in Ft. Adams until the 13th of August, 1917, going through an extensive training preparing us for Overseas duty. On the 13th of August, 1917, we left Ft. Adams for New York, arriving there at 2 A. M. on the morning of the 14th of August. We left the train at 7:45 A. M. and took the ferry across to Pier 54, Hoboken, New Jersey, where we embarked on the Cunard Liner, Andania, at 10:25 A.M. At 3 P.M. we were all ready and steamed out of the bay flying the British flag, with everybody below deck, No cheers, not even a smile to send us on our way to an unknown land, to fight for and protect that which we all love best, "Liberty"
The 2nd Battalion then known as the 6th Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps was the only unit carried by the HMS Andania on that voyage. On board were 108 Officers, 1,745 enlisted men and 1 Civilian. The only other ship to sail on the 14th of August, 1917 was the El Occidente with 67 Casuals.
After an uneventful voyage of three days we anchored in the Bay of Halifax, Nova Scotia at 3 A, M, on the morning of the 17th of August, 1917. While here we had lifeboat drill and coaled up. Also we had a good view of submarines, as there were plenty of them in the bay. They were ours and the Allies, of course. After remaining in the harbor for four days we started on our uncertain journey across the Atlantic at 5:30 P. M. of the 21st of August, 1917, in company with six other ships, making a total of seven in the convoy. The convoy consisted of three troop ships, three freighters, and an auxiliary cruiser, each and every one fairly well armed as a protection against submarines. On August 29th, 1917, at 7 P. M. we were met five hundred miles off the Irish coast by a convoy of eight torpedo boat destroyers of the British Navy. August 31st, 1917, we pulled into Bentley Bay, Ireland, until the minesweepers could sweep the channel for us. September 1st, 1917, at 5:30 P. M. the all clear signal was given and we started on the rest of our journey, arriving at Liverpool, England, at 7 P. M., of the 2nd of September, 1917, after a nineteen day trip across the Atlantic looking for submarines.
It has been rumored in German Naval circles, although never verified, that the submarine commanders were tried for neglect of duty in letting us get by them. Well, we were received with open arms by the British and sent to Camp Borden, England, arriving there at 9:50 A. M. on the morning of the 3rd of September, 1917, after an all-night ride in those quaint old-fashioned cars that are still in use in England. Upon our arrival at Camp Borden we were greeted by the British soldiers, who had a good substantial meal prepared for us, which we certainly did relish and enjoy, as it was the first real good meal that we had since we left the dear old U.S.A. We got the rest of the day off to straighten ourselves out and get our land legs back again.
We remained in Camp Borden, England, until the 15th of September, 1917; during which time we went through an extensive training, preparing for the front line trenches in France. Part of our training consisted of cold water baths in the open air. At 8:40 A. M. on the morning of the 15th of September, 1917, we left Camp Borden for Southampton, where we took the Steamer Londonderry, at 7:30 P. M. for La Havre, France, crossing the English Channel, and arriving at La Havre, France, at 3:30 A.M. on the morning of the 16th of September, 1917, after one of the worst nights that we had ever put in up to this time. The steamer would accommodate comfortably about twelve hundred, and there were seventeen hundred and fifty of us on it, so you can imagine the crowded condition. But we never growled or grumbled because it had to be done. We disembarked at 8 A.M. and marched to Rest Camp No. 2, where we remained until 8:45 A.M. of the morning of September 17th, 1917, when we left Rest Camp No. 2 and entrained for the mobilization camp known as Camp Mally, arriving there at 10:45 A.M. on the morning of the 18th of September, 1917. This camp is a real good camp and is situated thirty-five miles from No Man's Land and is used principally for mobilization purposes. We immediately started our training and on the 25th day of September, 1917, we, with Battery H. were detached from our regiment and attached to the French mission and sent to French Artillery Headquarters at Noialles, reporting to same on the 26th day of September, 1917. After reporting, we were assigned to Billets, F Battery in Ponchon, G Battery in Pierrepont and H Battery in Roye.
We spent the time between September 26th and October 1st, 1917, in cleaning up our new homes and making ourselves comfortable. October 1st we were loaned two new type French guns known as the 155mm GPF gun, so as to become thoroughly familiar with same, as it had been decided to equip quite a lot of American troops with said gun. We spent the time from October 1st to December 3rd, 1917, in drilling and becoming qualified in the use of said gun. On December 4th, 1917, we were motorized and issued eight of these guns, being the first American troops overseas to be motorized and we drew the first eight guns of this type put out for the American troops. Our guns were numbered from 1 to 8 inclusive, Battery F drawing from 1 to 4 inclusive and Battery G from 5 to 8 inclusive. From the 4th of December to the 23rd of December, 1917, we spent our time in becoming familiar with our new transportation, which, being new to us, required quite a little time to become perfect. For the guns we had Renault forty-five horsepower tractors and Latil thirty horsepower tractors for gun material. For personnel we had three-ton White trucks. And I might mention here that during our stay here the second Liberty Loan was floated and we bought thirty-five thousand dollars worth of bonds. We had from the 23rd to the 26th of December, 1917, off to enjoy the Xmas holidays.
After successfully passing the required examinations of the French, we were ordered to Camp de Souge, near Bordeaux, to train incoming troops in the art of handling this gun, which proved Germany's downfall. In compliance with these orders we left the French Artillery Headquarters and entrained at Beauvais and left this district at 12:30 P.M. on the 28th of December, 1917, arriving at Camp de Souge at 6 P.M. of the 31st of December, 1917, after a very cold and strenuous ride of three days and nights in boxcars and trucks, but none the worse for our trip.
The month of January, 1918, was spent in convoy practice and target practice, in which we came up to the required percentage demanded by the French mission. From February 1st to April 7th, 1918, we spent in training the 146th and 148th Field Artillery in the art of handling this type of gun. During this period of training the 146th and 148th F. A. we were changed from Batteries. F & G, 6th Regiment C. A. C., to Batteries. F & G, 51st Artillery. C. A. C. The change taking effect on the 27th day of December, 1917, but we did not receive the order until February 15th, 1918.
On April 8th, 1918, we were ordered to Libourne to receive a post graduate course in the School of Musketry and in the Tractor School. We completed this course by May 10th, 1918, and were ordered to get ready for active service at the front. This news was received with profound joy throughout the Battalion. May 11th, 12th, and 13th were spent in making preparations for this great event and on May 14th, 1918, we left Libourne for the front in the Toul sector, arriving in the danger zone May 17th, 1918. From May 17th to September 11th, 1918, we were facing the enemy. On May 19th, 1918, there was an air raid over our sector, and Major Lufberry (at that time the American ace) was accidentally killed by falling out of his plane while chasing the Huns. On May 26th, 1918, at 11:55 P.M. we fired the first shot at the enemy that was fired by American troops with this type of gun in this great World War, From then until September 11th, 1918, we exchanged shots with the Huns every day. Also our aviators exchanged visits every day with them.
We had our first casualties on the 22nd of July during a night air raid when two men of Battery F were killed and a man from Battery H was wounded. On the 15th of July, 1918, our official designation was changed from Batteries. F and G, 51st Art. C. A. C. to Batteries C and D, 57th Artillery C. A. C., 31st Brigade, Army Artillery, First Army.
At 12:59 A. M. on the morning of the 12th of September, 1918, the world was electrified by the announcement of a barrage put over by the Americans and French. This was the largest barrage ever put over by any troops up to this time and we had the honor of starting it in our particular sector. This drive is known as the great St. Mihiel drive and is famous because of its magnitude and effectiveness. There was more artillery mobilized for this drive than for any other drive previous. This drive lasted for three days and was a complete success from every point of view. We suffered no casualties.
On account of our excellent work in this drive we got a letter of commendation which is herewith produced. These letters are generally termed citations, and it makes one feel proud to get them.
After things quieted down in this sector we got orders to go to the Verdun front and take part in a drive to be pulled off there; so on September 18th, 1918, we left the Toul sector and proceeded to go to Verdun in compliance with our orders. We arrived and made our echelon at Souohsine-la Grand on the 20th of September, 1918, where we were joined by the rest of our regiment and took up position at Monceville the night of the same day. This was a particularly dangerous position as it was in the open and all work had to be done at night. We were in plain view of the Huns so we had to be extremely careful in the use of our camouflage. We got in position very soon after our arrival and at 11:30 P. M. of the 25th of September, 1918, we got orders to open up. And again the world was electrified by the immensity of the barrage. This barrage is called the million-dollar barrage. And in less than five hours after we opened up the Huns were on the run. We suffered no casualties at this position. We remained in this position until October 2nd when we advanced about fifteen Km. and took up position at Cuisy and opened up another barrage at 1 A. M. on the morning of the 4th of October, 1918. This barrage was not so intense as previous barrages. We remained in this position firing intermittently until the 13th of October, 1918, when we advanced about ten Km. and took up position at Eclisfontaine. We never opened up a barrage from this position, but fired intermittently until October 25th, 1918, when we again advanced about five Km. taking up position at Romange.
At Eclisfontaine our casualty list consisted of one man wounded slightly. The last three named positions, namely Cuisy, Eclisfontaine and Romange we went in position under machine gun fire, disregarding the terrible Huns and their deadly fire, but neither the terrible Hun or his deadly fire proved effective as far as casualties were concerned, only at the last named position, Romange, where we had six killed and eighteen wounded. Romange was our worst position on account of such close range and the delay of other units getting into position.
At last the stage was set and the order came to open up the big show at 12:55 A. M., the morning of the 1st of November, 1918, and we thought that we had put over some barrages, but this one exceeded all others in every respect and was the last barrage of any consequence on our front, and was the indirect cause of Germany asking for an armistice. A German Major taken prisoner made the remark that there was nothing could live under an American barrage. The ground looked as though it had been freshly ploughed. We remained in this position until November 6th, 1918, when we advanced about fifteen Km and took up position at Beaufort where we remained until the 24th of November, 1918.
At Beaufort we fired the salute of forty-eight shots to the Union Jack on the day the armistice took effect, therefore having to our credit the last as well as the first shot fired by American troops with this type of gun. We commenced firing these shots at 10:50 A.M. and fired the last one at 10:59 1/2 A. M. using as our targets three cross roads heavily convoyed by German troops. In appreciation of our excellent work during this offensive we received six letters of commendation from Brigade Headquarters at different intervals of the offensive, which are herewith produced.
Our causalities here were two killed and two wounded, making our total casualties from the time we left the U.S. until the armistice was signed, eleven killed and twenty wounded. Of the twenty wounded one will be a cripple for life, while the other nineteen will be restored to normal condition. This offensive was known as the Argonne-Meuse offensive and the decisive battle of the war.
And now since the armistice has been signed and we have assumed that watchful waiting policy, I feel duty bound to mention the good work done by our detachment of Headquarters Supply and Medical Corps. Too much cannot be said of the excellent work performed by these two detachments. Much credit, in fact the larger portion of the credit, for the maintenance of this battalion in supplies of all kinds is due 1st Lieut. Alvin Johnson, who was in command of Headquarters and Supply Company, and Sgt. Major Henry Rice, who was Battalion Supply Sgt. It was through their untiring and unceasing efforts that this Battalion was at no time out of supplies, that were necessary for the maintenance and upkeep of an efficient Battalion. At no stage of the game were we ever short of supplies. And for the excellent health enjoyed by this Battalion, credit is due our able and efficient Medical detachment.
And now we will return back to Beaufort where we are still watching the movements of the Huns. We remained in Beaufort until the 24th of November, 1918, when the all-clear signal was given and then we started for the rear to turn in our implements of war and get ready to return to our beloved country. We left Beaufort on the morning of the 24th November, 1918, by convoy, and arrived at our destination, which was Dommartin, on the 29th of November at 3 P.M., passing through the following towns and spending from three hours to an entire night in each. Romange, spending the night, Auzeville, spending the night, Nubecourt, spending a day and night, Bar-le-Duc, stopping long enough for Thanksgiving dinner, Dammarie, spending the night, and then to Dommartin; where we took up temporary headquarters until we could turn in all property not destined to come to the U. S. with us.
On December 4th, 1918; we turned in all ordnance property; which consisted of the guns and tractors; just one year from date of drawing. December 9th; 1918; we turned in all disabled trucks at Q.M.C. base No. 1 at Dijon. On December 11th; 1918; turned over the remainder of trucks to Q.M.C. at Doulevant. We also turned over our ordnance property at this place. On December 12th; 13th; and 14th; 1918; we spent making preparations to go to a port of embarkation and on the 15th of December; 1918; we left Dommartin by truck and proceeded to Vignory where we entrained for a port of embarkation
After a three day travel in American boxcars we wound up at Brest; our port of embarkation. On our trip to Brest we passed through the following large cities: St. Florentin; Vergigny; Joigny; Cravant; Bagaines; Clamecy; Moulot; Billy-sur-Oise; Etais; Cosne; Beirjoin; St. Pierre-des-Corps; Mettray, St. Paterne; St. Christophe; Chateau-du-Lois; Camp Eta for U. S. Engineers; Leman, Laval; and Morlaix. Upon arrival at Brest, we "hiked" out about three miles to a camp of mud and water. We were put into tents; where we remained until the 29th of December; 1918; and then moved to Billets; where we remained until the 2nd of January; 1919; on which date we embarked on the U. S. S. Huntington for our trip to our beloved country.
Our trip across was uneventful with the exception of two days rough weather and the usual amount of seasickness. We arrived safely the morning of the 14th of January; 1919; docking at 9:35 A. M. at Pier 5 Hoboken, N. J. We immediately disembarked and entrained for Camp Merritt; N. J.; arriving there at 2:30 P. M. and going into barracks for the time being. At 3:30 P. M. dinner was served and at 7:10 supper was served and at 8:50 P. M. we went to the delousing station and all hands were deloused; and God knows we needed it. Delousing process completed about ten o'clock and we turned in for a much needed rest. The next day, January 15th, 1919; at 2 P. M.; we entrained for New York; arriving there about 5:00 P. M.; where we took the ferry across to Sandy Hook, New Jersey; arriving there about 7:30 P. M. and here is where I am going to leave you; patiently awaiting your discharge from the Army, so as you may go out into the world and make history for yourself instead of for the Battalion.
And now just a few words in conclusion. I wish to call your attention to a few coincidents.
We sailed for Overseas Duty August 14th, 1917.
We returned from Overseas Duty January 14th, 1919.
We arrived on foreign soil September 2nd, 1917.
We left foreign soil on January 2nd, 1919.
We were equipped and motorized December 4th, 1917.
We turned in equipment on December 4th, 1918.
The Armistice went into effect at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
And now just a thing or two worth remembering; That we fired the first shot that was fired at the enemy by American troops with this type of gun.
That we fired the last shot that was fired at the enemy by American troops with this type of gun.
That we were the first American Artillery unit to be equipped and motorized in France. That we drew and used the first eight guns of this type made for the use of American troops. That we fired twelve thousand, five hundred and eighty shots at the enemy.
And now my last and final word: I sincerely hope and trust that you may derive as much pleasure from reading this as I have in putting it up in this form. I am no writer and am uneducated but have done this at the earnest request of my many friends in this Battalion. Thanking you one and all for your many favors and staunch friendship through this great struggle of ours, I beg to remain,
JAMES L. GRACE,
Sgt. Bat. D, 57th Art. C. A. C.
As I find names of men who served in this Battalion I will add them here with what I know of each. If you know additional facts about these men or others who served in this Battalion please e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell
Irven Wesley Hayden was born 16 August 1897 in Nevada, Missouri. He was the third son of four children born to J. W. and Anna Hayden. His father J.W. was born in December of 1853 in the State of Indiana as was both of his parents. Anna was born in June of 1873 in the state of Missouri. Her father was born in Portugal and her mother was born in Missouri. J. W. and Anna were married about 1890 and by the time of the Federal Census of 24 June 1900 they had 5 children, 4 of whom were living. The family then lived at number 77 Second Street in Vinita City in the Indian Territory, which is the present day city of Vinita, Craig County, Oklahoma. J. W. Hayden worked as a farm laborer to support the family. The only daughter died in childhood; the sons were Lester, born in May 1892; Victor, born July 1896; then Irven; Ralph, born in September 1899; George, birthyear unknown; and John A., birthyear unknown.
As Irven grew into a man and saw the need to serve his Country and he joined the Army and was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps branch of the Army. Irven was first assigned to the 6th Provisional Artillery Regiment, Battery G. His rank was Private 1st Class and he would have sailed with the 6th Provisional Regiment on the HMS Andania on the 14th of August 1917 to Liverpool, England by the way of Halifax, N.S. to Bentley Bay, Ireland. PFC Hayden first footsteps in France occurred at 3:30 A.M. on the morning of 16 September 1917.
Battery G was billeted in the town of Pierrepont, France on the 26th of September and on the 1st day in October he would have gotten his first look at the 155mm GPF guns they would use at the Front against the Germans. On 27 December Battery G, 6th Provisional Artillery was changed to Battery G, 51st Artillery and again on 15th of July 1918 they were changed to Battery D, 57th Artillery. At some point he was promoted from Private First Class to the rank of Wagoner. A Wagoner was a slightly higher rank than a PFC and the job of a Wagoner was that of a truck driver. His service number was 148831.
At the war's end Irven spent several months transporting military prisoners both abroad and in the U.S. before receiving his discharge. It is not clear if Wagoner Irven Hayden would return to the States on the second day of January 1919 when Battery D, 57th Artillery when they went aboard the cruiser USS Huntington and sailed for Hoboken, New Jersey.
After leaving the army, Irven lived in Edgerton, Missouri, from 1919 until May 1924, where he drove a tank truck for the Standard Oil Company. He married Ruth Hopkins, of Edgerton, on September 30, 1919. Ruth Cleveland Hopkins Hayden was born April 5, 1893, in Missouri; her father was born in Illinois and her mother in Missouri. From 1924-28 Ruth and Irven lived in various towns in northwestern Kansas before settling in Atwood, Rawlins County, Kansas. On the 1930 Federal Census it was noted that Irven and Ruth lived in a rented home in Atwood, which cost $35 dollars per month, and did have a radio set in the home. Irven worked as a traveling salesman and had a 39-year career with the Standard Oil Company. Irven and Ruth's only child was son Irven W. Jr., born May 13, 1921, in Edgerton, Missouri. Irven Jr.'s wife was also named Ruth (Ruth Kelley Hayden, of Atwood, KS) and he served in the U.S. Army in World War II.
In 1928, for the 10th anniversary of the signing of the WWI armistice, Irven Sr., Ruth, and Irven Jr. (age 7) were among the soldiers who returned to Paris for a huge celebration of the VFW. There was a long parade down the Champs Elysee, with the soldiers grouped by states or military units. Seven-year old Irven Jr. got to carry the flag at the front of the Kansas group as they marched in the parade.
Irven W. Hayden Sr., was known as "Pop" most of his adult life (and his wife as "Mom"), and continued to work for the Standard Oil Company until retirement in December of 1957. Irven W. Hayden Sr. served as commander of the American Legion Posts in both Platte City, Missouri, and Atwood, Kansas. He maintained a second home in Red Feather Lakes, Colorado where he spent 8 months of the year while still living in Atwood, Kansas, in the winter months. He was an avid fisherman and hunter, well known among sportsmen in both Colorado and Kansas. In December of 1968 Irven W. Hayden, Sr., passed away and is buried in Atwood, Kansas.
Irven W. Hayden, notice his frequent misspelling of his first name as "Irwin". This is his "Soldats de Verdun" certificate and medal presented to all soldiers who took part in the defense of Verdun. Men of the 57th Artillery were awarded this medal for the actions at Montfancon and Romagne.
Irven Hayden's WWI Victory Medal (front side on the left, back side on the right) with 3 bars, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne and the Defensive Sector.
The photos and some of the information on Irven Hayden was shared by his granddaughter Sally Hayden and I did some additional research on Irven to put together the story of him.
Charles G. Sedell was a member of Battery D of the 57th Artillery, C.A.C. during WWI. His roots begin in the country of Greece, he being born there on May 6 of 1888. Charles was born in the Kozani region of Macedonia, Greece in or near the village of Louvri, which is the area of Tsotili, Neapoli and Pentalofos, Greece. He has a brother named Thomas Gissopoulous also born in the same general area. Charles G. Sedell’s original Greek name was Sederis Gissopoulous.
On June 9, 1907 in the port of Patras, Greece, Sederis Gissopoulous (Charles G. Sedell) leaves his country of birth and boards the SS Giulia and sails for New York. Twenty-days later on June 29, 1907 the Giulia arrives in New York and Sederis Gissopoulous sets foot on American soil for the first time at Ellis Island. During processing at Ellis Island due to the difficulty in the pronunciation of the Greek name of Gissopoulous, the name of Sederis Gissopoulous was Americanized and changed to Charles G. Sedell. It is believed that an Ellis Island official came up with the name of Sedell, which was loosely taken from the sounding of his original Greek name of Sederis. His middle initial was “G” and likely selected from Gissopoulous. From that time on Sederis Gissopoulous was forever more known as Charles G. Sedell.
Charles Sedell’s brother Thomas Gissopoulous, who had already been in the States since April 19, 1906 was allowed to keep his original Greek name when he arrived. The most likely reason Charles G. Sedell came to America was to be with his brother Thomas. Thomas Gissopoulous had left Naples on April 4, 1906 aboard the SS Republic and arrived on April 19, 1906 in New York. Thomas had been living and working in Montana as a shoe cobbler and as a laborer on the railroad. Charles and Thomas may have went back to Montana for a time to work, but sometime before 1916 Charles had moved to Massachusetts and then for ever more lost contact with his brother Thomas and never heard from him again.
Charles settled in the Brockton, Massachusetts area, which Brockton had a sizeable community of Greeks and that may have been why he chose that area. The time frame from 1907 when Charles arrived until the time he would serve in the Maine National Guard late 1916 is very limited on what is known.
Even though he was not fully naturalized until December 10, 1919 he still felt this was his home and the need to serve his new country. Today the Sedell family are Greeks all the way down the family line but most importantly they are proud to be Americans, as shown by the courage of Charles Sedell, who came to this country for a better future and was willing to give his life for that cause. Charles Sedell was an intensely proud man and equally proud to be an American as the family is so still today.
Family stories told about Charles Sedell state that for some reason in Massachusetts he was not able to enlist into the military. The reason if it was due to him not being a citizen or possibly there were no openings in the Massachusetts Guard is not known. But Sedell traveled to Lewiston, Maine and was able to enlist there for some reason. So Charles volunteered to serve in the Maine National Guard at Auburn, Maine on December 8, 1916 at the rank of Private, serving about 3 months total time in the Guard, possibly seeing action in the Mexican Punitive Actions in 1916.
By the time America entered the First World War Charles Sedell on June 5, 1917 registered for the Federal Draft in the first call up of men. At the time he was living just a few houses away from where he lived in 1910. He was living at 21 Beacon Street in Brockton and worked for the W. L. Douglas Shoe Company in Brockton, Massachusetts. He at the time listed his mother and father as dependents, but it is not clear if they had come to America or not, so just who he was referring to on his draft card is not known for sure. Charles was a medium built man with brown eyes and dark brown slightly balding hair.
Once Sedell was in the Army he was given his service number of 582516 and reported for Federal Service as a Private on July 25, 1917. His first assignment was with the 3rd Company, Coast Artillery, Maine National Guard, and was with that company until December 25, 1917. The 3rd Company was based at Auburn and Kennebunk, Maine. December 26, 1917 Private Sedell was transferred into Battery E of the 54th Artillery, C.A.C. for duty overseas. The 54th Artillery was then serving as the Heavy Artillery Replacement Regiment. That is to say that the 54th Regiment was used as a training regiment and from the 54th replacement men would be pulled to fill the strength of the Coast Artillery units then on the line in combat in France. On March 22 the 2nd Battalion (Battery C and D) and the 3rd Battalion (Battery E and F) of the 54th Artillery boarded the HMS Canada in Hoboken with 50 officers and 1,146 enlisted men. They sailed to Glasgow, Scotland and reached there on April 2, 1918. When the regiment was assembled in France they were based at the O&T Center No. 6 at Mailly and Haussimont, France. This was the place that the Railway Artillery was stationed. Private Sedell remained with Battery E, 54th Artillery until August 16, 1918 when he was selected as a replacement and sent to Battery D of the 57th Artillery, C.A.C. then on the line in combat. He would be with this unit until he was discharged.
Battery D was part of the 2nd Battalion, 57th Artillery and they were on the line in combat during the St. Mihel Offensive and also during the Meuse-Argonne Actions, and the Defensive Sector. After the war and the return of the 57th Artillery to the States on January 15, 1919, Private Sedell was honorably discharged from the Army at Fort Hancock, New Jersey on January 22, 1919 and returned to the Brockton, Massachusetts area.
After his discharge from the army Charles Sedell had settled back into the Brockton, Massachusetts area to live. In January of 1920 Charles Sedell was a lodger at home located at 25 Beacon Street in Brockton. The home at 25 Beacon Street may have been a large apartment building as several families were listed as living there. Charles, who was single, may have rented a room from James Paphos who was one of the other 11 Greeks living at the 25 Beacon Street address. At the time Charles Sedell’s immigration status was listed as Alien, but this may have been wrong as it is thought he was naturalized in 1919. Charles worked in the shoe making trade and was then working in a local shoe factory as a laster. A last is a form in the approximate shape of a human foot, used in shoemaking to produce the fit of a shoe or boot. Lasts typically come in pairs, and throughout their history have been made from many materials, including hardwoods and cast iron. So Charles Sedell likely had the job of making shoe lasts.
Family story has it that at sometime Charles received a message from his family that still lived in Greece that there was an arranged marriage for him there. The likely time frame for this was when Charles Sedell applied for a United States Passport in 1923. Charles G. Sedell sailed from Boston on October 12, 1923 of that year aboard the SS Constantinople bound for Greece. The SS Bremen was a German Barbarossa class ocean liner commissioned in 1897 by the Norddeutscher Lloyd Line. The Bremen was laid up during WWI and after the war she was given to the British P&O Line as part of Germany’s war reparations. Two years later the Bremen was sold to the Bryon Line and renamed SS Constantinople, and was used on the Piraeus, Greece-New York route. By 1929 the now old worn out liner was scrapped.
Charles C. Sedell. 1923 United States Passport Photo.
Charles G. Sedell married a 19-year old woman named Agnes Adamopoulos who was also from Greece. She was born on January 9 of 1906 and would pass away on January 9, 2003. It is not clear if they were married in Greece or when she came to America. It is also not known if they both came back to America together or separately.
In April of 1930 Charles and Agnes lived in a rented home on North Warren Street in Brockton, MA where the rent was twenty-dollars a month. They did not had a radio set in the home as this was a question asked on the 1930 Federal Census form, so clearly they needed every penny they made just to survive. Charles still had his same job working in the Shoe Factory. Both Charles and Agnes spoke fluent Greek. Late in 1929 Charles and Agnes had their first child, a son named John C. Sedell. Then on October 18, 1941 a second son was born who was named Arthur Sedell.
Starting in the early 1930’s Charles and Agnes started a fruit store, which was called Agnes Fruits and for several years was located at 33 Perkins Street in Brockton. Charles and Agnes ran this store past 1951. Charles was also active with the American Legion and VFW Post No. 1046 in Brockton for many years.
For the rest of their lives Charles and Agnes lived in Brockton. From about 1941-1949 they lived at 1102 Montello Street and from 1951-1961 the Sedell home was located at 131 Market Street in Brockton. Charles G. Sedell would pass away on April 20 of 1975 and Agnes passed on January 9, 2003.
Above is the VFW Parade Dress hat of Charles Sedell from VFW Post 1046 in Brockton, MA. On the right is Private Sedell's World War One Vistory Medal with 3 clasps, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne and the Defensive Sector.
Sedell photos were shared by Thomas A. Sedell the son of Arthur Sedell and grandson of Private Charles Sedell.
VFW Garrison Cap of Charles G. Sedell
Charles G. Sedell's WWI Army Garrison Cap with the Army Artillery pin and Army Artillery patch
Massachusetts State American Legion Garrison Cap of Charles G. Sedell
Date this page was last updated
If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell
[Back to the Site Map] [Back to the Coast Artillery History Page] [ Back to the 57th Artillery Main Page ]