64th Artillery, CAC

The History of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

During WWI

One of the 8-inch Howitzers used by the 64th Artillery

The History of 64th Artillery C.A.C.

The history of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C. begins in January of 1918 and was organized from the Coast Defenses of Tampa, Florida and C.D. of New Orleans, Louisiana. The Regiment was moved to Camp Upton, New York in July of 1918 in preparation to sailing. Later in July the Regiment moved to Port of Embarkation, Hoboken, New Jersey and on 14 July sailed to Liverpool, England arriving there on July 26th, 1918. On July 31st the Regiment was in Le Harve, France. The Regiment was based at O&T (Operations and Training) Center No. 4 at Angers, France. Their firing range was at Montmorillon, France. The Regiment was one regiment of the 34th Artillery Brigade. The other regiments were the 70th and 71st Regiments. The 64th used as its weapon the British 8-inch Howitzer. They did not see any action at the front and were in the final stages of their training when the Armistice ended the war. February 11th, 1919 the Regiment embarked for the United States, and arrived at Newport News, Va., on the 24th, and went to Camp Stuart on the 27th. On March 1st, 1919, the battery was sent to Camp Eustis, Va., where its members were segregated, and sent to various demobilization camps for discharge.

Officers and Sergeant's of Battery D

First Lieutenant: R. E. Bragstad, Commanding
First Lieutenant: C. H. Vose
Second Lieutenant: J. R. Scofield
Second Lieutenant: C. C. Estes
First Lieutenant: William Holland
Second Lieutenant: Max Federhar
Supply Sergeant: R. E. Ellis
John Haag,
Clyde Saylor,
Scoville Horner,
Paul Miller,
William McCoy,
Clarence Brnes,
William Burns,
Roy Pickett,
Joseph Bulach,
Homer, Benton.

The History of Battery "E"

Battery "E" of the 64th Regiment, Coast Artillery Corps, was organized from the Coast Defenses of New Orleans, Jackson Barracks, Louisiana, January 15th, 1918. Officers in command were:

Captain Harold E. Gallup
First Lt. Benjamin H. Byrnes
First Lt. William H. Huff
Second Lt. John R. Scofield
Second Lt. William C. Maute

The men comprising the Battery were selected from the various companies stationed at Jackson Barracks and Camp Nicholls, and with few exceptions were from Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown, Ohio. February 2nd, 1918, the Battery moved to Camp Nicholls from Jackson Barracks. On July 6th, 1918, after six months intensive training and instruction in military tactics, the Battery entrained for Camp Upton, Yap Hank, Long Island. At this Camp for the first time since the organization of the Regiment, the batteries were assembled. The 64th Regiment consisted of six batteries, Headquarters Company, Supply Company, Ordnance Detachment and Medical Detachment, and were organized at the following places:

Headquarters Company at Fort Dade, Tampa, Florida

Battery "A" at Fort Screven, Georgia

Battery "B", Ordnance and Medical Detachment, at Fort Dade, Florida

Battery "C" at Fort Barancas, Florida

Batteries "D" and "E" at Jackson Barracks, Louisiana

Battery "F" and Supply Company at Fort Crockett, Galveston, Texas

On the 14th day of July 1918, in convoy with 12 other transports, the Battery embarked for overseas. After following a zigzag course for 13 days, it arrived at Liverpool, England, on July 26th. After stopping at Knotty Ash and Winchester, England, the Battery entrained for Southampton. On the evening of July 30th it crossed the English Channel and arrived in Le Harve, France, on the morning of the 31st. On the evening of this day the Germans made an air raid on the city of Le Harve, and within a short distance of the Camp occupied by the Battery.

The third day of August the Battery arrived at Angers (Maine et Lorie), France, and took up a position at the village of Andard, approximately 9 miles from Angers. Here the Battery received its allotment of eight-inch howitzers. The Battery was scheduled for the front October 28th, but a serious epidemic of influenza somewhat delayed its preparations and final training. On November 2nd it entrained for Montmorillon, Vienne, France, and took up a position at Bourg Archambault, a village about 10 miles from Montmorillon. It was at the Firing Range, that the Armistice prematurely ended all preparations.

On Thanksgiving Day, November 28th, 1918, the battery again took up its old position at Andard, where it remained until January 27th, 1919, and entrained for St. Nazarie, France, the port of debarkation. On the 11th day of February the Battery embarked for the United States, and arrived at Newport News, Va., on the 24th, and went to Camp Stuart. On March 1st, 1919, the battery was sent to Camp Eustis, Va., where its members were segregated, and sent to various demobilization camps for discharge.

The History of Battery "F"

On June 5, 1917, the Seventh Company, Texas National Guard, was formed in Nacogdoches and was composed of 130 men. Its officers were:

Captain R. I. Schindler
Lieutenant Orland Patton
Lieutenant L. O. Peck.
J. Elbert Reese was the company's first sergeant.

The company left Nacogdoches for Galveston on August 23, 1917, where they were placed in Battery F, 64th Artillery, Coast Artillery Corps, under the command of General Nelson Dingley III, then a captain. After a training period in Galveston, the battery went to New York by train, then sailed from there, on July 13, 1918 and landed in Liverpool, England. The soldiers landed at LeHarve, France, on August 6, 1918. Then in November after the war was over, the soldiers returned home.

The History of Supply Company

The Supply Company was organized on January 22, 1918 at Fort Crockett, Texas. The Company left Fort Crockett on July 4, 1918 bound for Camp Upton, NY where the 64th Artillery was mobilized for the first time as one unit. On July 13, 1918 the entire 64th Artillery left Camp Upton for pier 64 on the North River in New York City where they embarked aboard the British ship SS Khyber where they sailed the following day on July 14. The Khyber sailed in convoy with 13 ships carrying about 30,000 troops to the war in France. Most of the trip was easy sailing but once the convoy was off the Irish coast another British ship in the convoy, the SS Justica was attacked and sunk by a German U-boat just 50-miles ahead of the Khyber. Because of the sinking the rest of the convoy in which the Khyber was steaming altered course, which delayed the arrival in Liverpool, England another 2-days time. The Khyber docked in Liverpool on July 26, 1918 and the 64th Artillery disembarked and hiked a 6-mile trek to Camp Knotty Ash where they rested for the night. The next day on the 27th the 64th left Knotty Ash for Winchester, England and finally on to Southampton where on July 30 they boarded the steamer USS Manhattan bound across the Channel to Le Harve, France.

The next morning they arrived and disembarked from the Manhattan and that night they experienced the first taste of the enemy in the form of an attack from the sky by German airplanes. August 1, 1918 the 64th was loaded into the famous rail cars known as "40 Hommes, 8 Cheveux" and the 64th would get it's first French lesson in finding out just what "40 Hommes & 8 Cheveux really meant. On August 2 they arrived in Angers, France and were billeted in a barnyard near Brian Sur L'Authron.

On November 2, 1918 they were fully equipped with guns and headed to the firing range at Montmorillon, France for training and then on to the front. At the firing range they were billeted in Latuse Vienne. While they were on the firing range the Armistice was signed sealing their chances to get in the fight. They remained at Montmorillon until December 1, 1918 when they moved to Angers arriving there on December 2. There they were billeted in the Chateau de Narce in Brian Sur L'Authron. Orders were received to return to the States and on January 27, 1919 they left for St. Nazaire where on the 28th they arrived. They had to wait until the next available ship and on February 11, 1919 they were loaded aboard the transport USS Huron and steamed west across the Atlantic for home. After a stormy trip they arrived at Newport News, VA on February 24, 1919 and were sent to Camp Stuart, VA. On February 28 they were moved to Camp Eustis where they were kept until formal demobilization and discharge from the Army.

Officers and Enlisted men of Supply Company, 64th Artillery as of March 1919

Captain Jackson P. Dick, Commanding
2nd Lt. Arthur F. Perry, Jr.
2nd Lt. John E. Scully

Sergeant Major John F. E. Jacobs
Sergeant Major Walter Steeds
Sergeant Major Clifford A. Saunders
First Sergeant Jesse C. Landers
Supply Sergeant Ollie J. Quinn
Mess Sergeant Jesse R. Ingram

Frank J. Harris
Thomas A. Calhoun
John W. Averitt

James F. Woods
Harry N. Key
William F. Locke, Jr.
John C. Miller
Maurice G. Oliver

Joseph Barbeaud
Mitchell Tian
Elmer C. Goodman
John J. Cheevers
Horace C. Dick
Virgil J. Jones
Sam Markham
Patrick Chandler
Robert O. Crouch
Luther F. Redner

Vinn Davidson
Clarence A. Mayberry

Privates Frist Class;
Euel F. Arnold
Arthur L. Armstrong
Louis E. Bruce
Earl Calahan
Lavern Calahan
George W. Connally
Honor Crawford
James B. Dodd
Walter G. Henson
James E. Jenkins
Willie E. Kennett
Thomas F. Kenny
Ambrose Kolodzie, Sr.
Charles E. Melton
Ralph J. McCreath
Bennie L. McDonald
Leo A. McGrane
Arthur C. McKenzie
Joseph A. McMahon
Robert Peterson
Thomas C. Runnels
Victor Sidgfried
Howard H. Smith
O. C. Spivey
Laurence E. Stephenson
Elmer M. Talich
Enoch A. Torney
Willie Wood

Loyd Ables
William E. Adcock
Pete Attaway
William H. Browder
Edward J. Burke
Richard Caufield
Harold C. Carper
Horace G. Carrington
George Connor
Sam Debner
Herman C. Dietze
Jesse J. Dixon
Leonidus N. Emmons
John W. Gallaway
Morace Goldfarb
Floyd Hardin
Joe J. Janca
John Johnson
William T. Jones

Charles Kozak
Charles E. Liter
John McCandlesss
Edward Mick
John McGinnis
Thomas W. Mongan
Murry R. Mutter
Emil J. Muzny
Kyle W. Oliver
Hobert Peterson
Samuel W. Sanderson
Ooch Thomas
John W. Zeigler, Jr.

Sgt. E. Jay Bryan (Decceased)
Pvt. William R. Couch Decceased)
Sgt. Val T. Allbretton (Transfered)
Sgt. Joel P. Williams (Transfered)
Pvt. Clarence J. Wood (Transfered)
Pvt. Edward D. Brown (Transfered)
Pvt. Karl Thomsen (Transfered)

The Regimental Muster of the 64th Artillery

As I find history and information on men who served in the 64th Artillery I will add them here in this section. If your relative served in the 64th Artillery please let me know and I will add them to this list.

Pvt. John J. Charles, Battery E:

I started this web page on the 64th Artillery at the prompting of Ron Leverenz who had obtained a uniform and dog tags of a Pvt. John J. Charles of Battery E, 64th Artillery. Ron was kind enough to submitt these photos of the uniform and dog tags of Pvt Charles. The photo on the left is the full uniform coat showing the dogtags. The uniform has the sholder patch for the III Corps, a red discharge stripe and the lower stripe is for 6 months overseas service.

A closer view showing the collar button that is of the 64th Artillery.

Close up view of the dogtags. It reads: John J. Charles, 726859, BAT. E 64 ART, CAC, USA. A very nice find indeed! Below is the cover to the History and Roster of Battery E that I own. Ron contacted me and I found Pvt. Charles name listed in it. I have circled it in red. It reads:

Charles, John J.,
318 W. Park St., Mansfield, Ohio.

Stanley E. Williams, HQ Co.:

Stanley E. Williams was born 15 May 1896 and died 19 November, 1954. He was buried in the Tioga Point, Cemetery, Bradford, PA.He was a MUS3c (Musician) in Hq Co, 64th Artillery, C. A. C.

Corporal Charles E. Mozingo 720060 Battery A

Corporal Charles E. Mozingo, Service Number 720060 was from Wheeling West Virginia. He served with Battery A, 64th Artillery, CAC in France from July 14, 1918 to February 24, 1919. Corp. Mozingo was Honorably Discharged March 25, 1919 from Camp Eustis, VA

Pvt. Henry V. Ward, Battery B:

Henry Ward was born 10 May 1885 and died 16 July 1946 Hew was buried on 22 July 1946 in plot NEW 257, in the Hampton National Cemetery, City of Hampton, Virginia. He was a Private in Battery B of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

Pvt. William C. Smith, Battery B:

His service number was 721100 and he enlisted into the Regular Army 19 November 1917 at Jacksonville, Florida. At the time of enlistment he was 18 years old, was born in McIntyre, Florida and lived in Sopchoppy, Florida. Pvt. Smith was in the 3rd Company, C.A.C. at Ft. Dade, Florida from enlistment untill 22 January 1918 when the 3rd CO. was formed into Battery B of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C. Pvt Smith sailed with the 64th Artillery on 14 July 1918 to Liverpool, England. Pvt. Smith returned to the States with the 64th Artillery on 24 February 1919 and was demobilized on 10 April 1919.

Wagoner, James Kenneth Spader, Battery B:

Pvt. Spader's service number was 720696 and he enlisted into the Florida National Guard 25 June 1917 at St. Petersburg, Florida. At the time of enlistment he was 23 years old, was born in Mamareneck, New York and lived in St. Petersburg, Florida. Pvt. Spader was in the 2nd Company, C.A.C. Florida National Guard from enlistment untill 11 March 1918 when he was transferred to Battery B of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C. On 17 June 1918 he was promoted to Wagoner. He sailed with the 64th Artillery on 14 July 1918 to Liverpool, England. Wagoner Spader returned to the States with the 64th Artillery on 24 February 1919 and was demobilized on 8 April 1919.

Lt. Col. Bryant, A West Point Graduate who served in the 64th Artillery.

Known by his classmates and friends as "Chick," Arthur Henry Bryant graduated 22d in the Class of 1901. He was born in Cincinnati, OH, on 16 May 1878 and was attending Trinity College in Hartford, CT, when he received a West Point appointment. After graduation, he was assigned to the Artillery Corps and served at Ft. Trumbull, CT; Ft. Walla Walla, WA; and Ft. Snelling, MN, before returning to West Point in 1904 as an instructor in the Department of Modern Languages. He then served as Assistant Instructor of Ordnance and Gunnery. He received a promotion to first lieutenant while at West Point. In 1906, he served at Ft. DuPont, DE; transferred to the Presidio of San Francisco, CA, in 1907; then to Ft. Baker, CA. At Ft. Monroe, VA, he attended the Coast Artillery School. In 1909, he was promoted to captain and was assigned to Ft. Mansfield, RI, before being sent to the Philippines in 1912. While in the Philippines, his battery had the best record in firing the heavy seacoast guns on that range. He returned to the U.S. in 1914 and served at Ft. McDowell, CA. In 1917, he received a temporary promotion to major and served at the School of Fire for Field Artillery at Ft. Sill, OK, for three months before being promoted to lieutenant colonel. He was at the Presidio of San Francisco, CA, with the Army Artillery Park and the 62d Artillery, Coast Artillery Corps. In July of 1918, he was en route to France where he was transferred to the 64th Artillery, C.A.C. While in France, he was assigned to the Embarkation Center at Le Mans as assistant to G-1, General Staff, and Assistant Chief of Staff, G-2. He returned to the U.S. in 1919 and was assigned to the 59th Artillery, C.A.C., from which he resigned on 31 Dec 1919. He worked in the private sector until his health failed in February 1924. He was hospitalized and died at the U.S. Veterans Hospital, San Fernando, CA, on 22 Apr 1926 at the age of 47. He is buried in the San Francisco National Cemetery, Plot: Section OS Row 7 Site 1

Grave marker of Arthur Henry "Chick" Bryant. Photo courtsey of Find-a Grave. Photo by Carol Farrant.

Pvt. 1cl. John Ashurst, Battery E:

Pvt. 1cl John Ashurst
Battery E, 64th Arty, CAC

John Ashurst was born on February 6 1894. The Federal Census of 1930 lists his age at 33 years, which would make his year of birth in 1897. Still other sources list his year of birth as 1893. But it is known that he was born in Barnesboro, Pennsylvania to Samuel Ashurst and Harriet Bergin Ashurst. Samuel Ashurst was born May 11, 1864 in Wigan, Aspul, Lancaster, England. Harriet Bergin was born in June 1867 also in England. Samuel and Harriet were married 25 February 1888 in Decatur Township, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. Together Samuel and Harriet had 8 children. Robert born in May 1888 in Clearfield, Pennsylvania; Mae born April 1890 in Pennsylvania; James Austin born 29 May 1892 in Pennsylvania; John born 6 February 1893 (or 1894) in Pennsylvania; Loy born July 1898 in Pennsylvania; Elizabeth born in 1902 in Pennsylvania; Mildred born in 1904 and Vincent born in 1909 in Pennsylvania.

As the war clouds were brewing during 1917 John Ashurst felt the call to serve his country and on 19 December 1917 he enlisted into the National Army at Akron, Ohio. John lived at 69 Straw St. in Akron, Ohio at the time and this may have been the family home. John was listed as being 21 years old at the time of his enlistment, so that would make his year of birth about 1896 or 1897 as was stated on the 1930 Federal Census.

John's service number was 726932 and was first assigned to the 306th Company at Jackson Barracks in New Orleans, LA. On 16 January 1918 as the 64th Artillery was being formed Private Ashurst was transferred into Battery E, 64th Artillery, C.A.C. where he sailed to France with the 64th Artillery on 14 July 1918 and then he returned with them to the States on 24 February 1919. On 1 June 1918 he was promoted to Private First Class and he was Honorably discharged from the Army on 11 April 1919.

John returned home and married his wife Helen Josephine Deubel and according to the 1930 Federal Census lived in a rented home at 2877 West Bailey Road in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. He and Helen lived in Cuyahoga Falls their whole life. Helen was listed as being 32 years old and had been married for 8 years. Helen was listed as being born in Pennsylvania. Together John and Helen had 3 daughters Maxine M. aged 7 years and Shirley Eileen aged 2 1/2 years and Bonita who was born in 1931.

John's occupation in 1930 was as a Pitman in the Firestone Rubber Factory. On 20 October 1951 John passed away in Cuyahoga Falls. He was buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

The photo of Ashurst above shows him in uniform and on his lower left sleeve can be seen one service chevron signifying 6 months of overseas service. The large "A" on his upper left arm is the patch of the 1st Army Artillery. This would have been red with a bar of white and blue in between the legs of the letter "A". He has on his belt a Army service pistol in the holster on his right side. On his right sleeve which is not visible would have been the stripe of a Pvt. 1cl. This photo was most likely taken in the United States after the 64th Artillery returned from France.

Photo above of Pvt. 1cl John Ashurst was shared with me by his granddaughter Diane Coleman. Her mother was Shirley Eileen, John and Helen's second daughter listed above.

John Ashurst memorial at Find-A-Grave

Pvt. Charles William Bailey, Battery B:

Pvt. Charles W. Bailey, on the back it is dated by his future wife, Eva Blanche Showler "1919".

George Bailey the grandson of Charles William Bailey, who was a Private in Battery B, 64th Artillery, C.A.C. during WWI contacted me and shared this story with me. George Bailey is the son of Burel William Bailey who was the son of Charles William Bailey.

Charles William Bailey was born August 17, 1893 in Montreal, Missouri and raised on an eighty-acre farm homesteaded by his father, Silas. As a young man his father sold the farm and moved to 2158 East Ave., in Springfield, Missouri where he joined the army on May 5, 1917. At the time he entered the army he was 23 years and 9 months old. Charles went to Jefferson Barracks and was inducted into the army. His service number was 720944 and was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps at Ft. Dade, Florida as a Private. As the 64th Artillery was being formed he was transferred into Battery B of the 64th Artillery, C.A.C., on 24 January 1918. Pvt. Bailey sailed overseas on 14 July 1918 with his unit and returned to the States with the 64th Artillery on 24 February 1919.

After being Honorably Discharged from the army, he returned to Springfield and met his future wife, Eva Blanche Showler. According to the 1930 Federal Census Charles is listed as living at 916 Adams Street in Springfield, Missouri. This was a rented house and he lived there with his wife, Blanche Eva who went by her middle name, was 30 years old at the time. Charles and Blanche were married November, 1919 and at the time of the 1930 Census had two sons, Burel William age 9 and Samuel Arthur, age 6. A daughter, Verna Lou is not on the 1930 census because she was born on September 12 of that year after the census was taken. The youngest son Gerald Franklin Bailey, was born in 1935 after the family moved to Kansas City, Kansas.

Charles was listed in the 1930 Federal Census as being a painter for the railroad and he was listed as being a veteran of WWI.

During the Depression years, he moved his wife and three children to a farm near Anutt, Missouri and my father, his oldest son, told stories of the difficult times they had there. Sometime before 1935, he moved his family again, this time to Kansas City, Kansas where he eventually got a job for the Union Pacific Railroad. His job was painting signs on boxcars and after working this job for over twenty years; he retired and moved back to his old home in Springfield, Missouri in 1959. At the time of his death on August 16, 1984, he had three sons, 16 grandchildren, and 23 great-grandchildren.

One interesting thing about George Bailey's father, Burel, during WWII like his father Pvt. Charles W. Bailey, Bruel Bailey joins the army and winds up in the 127th Field Artillery, 35th Army Division and lands at Omaha Beach, D plus 29 and participates in the Battle of Normandy. On July 24, 1944 he steps on a German land mine and losses his left leg just below the knee.

Pvt. Joseph E. McCrone Service No. 726953 Battery E, 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

Joseph E. McCrone was born on 3 September 1891 in Ohio. It is likely that he was born in the city of Lorain, Ohio as on the 1900 Federal Census Joseph lived there with his family. His father was named Michael McCrone born in January of 1862 in Kentucky. Both of Michael's parents were from Ireland. Joseph's mother was named Catharine and she was born in March of 1871 in Ireland along with both of her parents. She immigrated to the United States about 1878 or 1879 where about 1888 she married Michael McCrone.

Michael and Catharine were of Irish Catholic stock and started their family when their first child, a son named Andrew Joseph McCrone, was born on 20 October 1885. Joseph E. was born in September of 1891 followed by Mary in June of 1894 then Anna M. born in May of 1896 and Gertrude born in November of 1898, a son Clarence L. born about 1902 and lastly another son named William F. born about 1905. According to the 1900 Federal Census, Andrew worked as a laborer at a local shipyard, Joseph was in school and Michael supported his family by working as a molder helper likely in a steel mill. The family home was located at 536 Charles Street in Lorain, Ohio.

Joseph finished his schooling and then worked in a steel mill, just as his father did before him. He was a medium built young man with brown eyes and dark hair. At the time Joseph had to register for the Federal Draft on 5 June 1917 he worked in a rolling mill for the American Steel and Mill Company in Cleveland. He was single and still lived at home with his parents. This was located at 3761 E. 76th Street in Cleveland.

Pvt. Joseph E. McCrone, Service No. 726953, Likely taken while he was with the 309th Company, C.A.C. in New Orleans sometime during 1917

When he was ordered to report for duty in the National Army on 18 December 1917 he went to the Cleveland Armory and entered the Army where he was sent to serve in the 309th Company, Coast Artillery Corps at Camp Polk, Louisiana where he served until 16 January 1918. Camp Polk is located on the western side of Louisiana near the Texas state line and is presently an active Army base know now as the Fort Polk Joint Readiness Training Center, and is the home of the 4th Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division. According to the family while Joseph was at Camp Polk, his mother Catharine had sent him a cake or cookies there, but when it arrived it was full of ants.

The men of Battery E, 64th Artillery, C.A.C., primarily came from the various companies stationed at Jackson Barracks and Camp Nicholls, Louisiana and the balance came from Cleveland, Akron, Toledo, Dayton and Youngstown, Ohio men. McCrone was from the Cleveland area and that was how he became to be selected for duty in Battery E of the 64th Artillery.

Pvt. McCrone sailed with the 64th Artillery on 14 July 1918 and served overseas with them and returned to the states on 24 February 1919. He was honorably discharged from the Army on 3 April 1919. Joseph McCrone's step-grandson, Gilbert A. Sanow II, recalls that Joseph said "we were days from going to the front when the Armistice came." In the published pages of a very small book containing 16 pages and a complete roster of the men of Battery E along with the History of Battery E, 64th Artillery, Pvt. Joseph E. McCrone's name does appear.

After his duty in the Army Joseph returned to Cleveland to the family home on East 76th Street where he lived with his father and mother and siblings, Anna M. and Gertrude and younger brothers Clarence, and William. Michael his father was now working in a dry goods store and his two sisters Anna and Gertrude were both telephone operators for the local telephone company and Clarence was working possibly as a carpenter but William was still in school.

It is worth noting that next door to the Michael McCrone house there lived at 3759 E. 76th Street, Joseph's older brother, Andrew McCrone and his wife Anna. Andrew McCrone was a Cleveland Policeman and during WWI on 12 September 1918 Andrew registered for the Federal Draft. At that time Andrew and his wife lived at 3823 E. 78th Street in Cleveland, just a few blocks away from the McCrone family home on E. 76th Street. Andrew was a tall, medium build man with blue eyes and light hair. It is not known if Andrew ever served in the military during WWI.

Framed case of the WWI Victory Medal, Collar Buttons and hat ribbon cord of Pvt. McCrone. This and the above photo were shared by Joseph McCrone's step-grandson, Gilbert A. Sanow II

By 1930 Joseph McCrone still lived in the family home at 3760 E. 76th Street. Michael his father, was working as a watchman in the dry good store and his mother Catharine had passed away by then. By 1930 his brother Andrew had moved away from the house next door. Joseph McCrone still worked in the steel mills and was still single. Joseph's younger sister, Anna M. still lived there and had the same phone operator job. Also in the family home lived Gertrude and her husband Herbert Murray who was a Cleveland Psssssoliceman and their 2-month old son Herbert Jr.

Joseph McCrone's step-grandson, Gilbert A. Sanow II goes on to say of his step-grandfather, "Sometime during the 1940's he married my twice-widowed grandmother, Louise Ditzler Mackert Clark, also of Cleveland. He worked until retirement at the US Steel works, in the coke plant, in Cleveland. He died in 1964 and is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery." Gilbert continues, "Sometime after he passed, my grandmother loaned me the photo below and a copy of his discharge. I was able to obtain his WWI Victory Medal and later found a 64th C.A.C. collar disc. Unfortunately no other military artifacts of his exist today."

Joseph E. McCrone at the end of his life was in a long-term care facility in Avon, Ohio of heart failure and on 25 October 1964 at the age of 73 passed away there. His wife Louise, sister Ann (Dally) and brothers Clarence and William and step-daughter Eleanor Sanow were all still living at the time Joseph McCrone passed away. Both of his parents, brother Andrew and sisters Mary (Washington) and Gertrude (Murray) passed away before Joseph. His funeral Requiem Mass was held in the St. Christopher Church in Rocky River, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. He was buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery located in Brook Park, Cuyahoga, County, Ohio.

Pvt. Edward J. Halfacre, Battery C

Pvt. Edward "Eddie" Halfacre

Birth: Jul. 9, 1902 Death: Feb. 8, 1978

This photo was taken in May of 1917 at Ft. Pickens, Florida. The Fort was located in the panhandle region of Florida about 1 mile from Fort Barrancas, in Santa Rosa County. It was named in honor of Brig. General Andrew Pickens, of the South Carolina State Troops, who shared with Marion and Sumter the defense of South Carolina during the American Revolution.

Norma Sue Hickman, the niece of Eddie Halfacre who today has his helmet from WWI wrote the following about her uncle; "I have had this helmet for years and never really know the history behind it. It belonged to my uncle, Edward J. Halfacre. In his Mother's family bible his name is listed as Eddie Jabrum Halfacre and his date of birth is recorded as July 9, 1902. This is probably not the date recorded on any military documents, as he lied about his age to enter the army. As I recall, he lived in Artesia, Mississippi at that time and went to Meridian, MS to enter the army." Norma goes on to tell about the helmet, "... this helmet was not painted in this manner by the army, but by someone in Paris when my relative was on leave there." Norma also stated that she believed that Eddie Halfacre was also serving in the army during WWII in an artillery unit. Norma continues with..."Eddie always spoke of his service in WWI with fond memories. I think he enjoyed that war much more than WWII."

According to the US Social Security Death Index Mr. Halfacre was born on July 9, 1902 and he passed away in February of 1978 in China, Texas. He had lived in Texas for many years as his Social Security card was issued in Texas before 1951. In fact Eddie Halfacre had became a successful rice farmer in Texas and was even asked by the US government to go to Korea as a consultant for farming methods. He declined stating, "two wars is enough for me." Eddie Halfacre was the second child and eldest son of Tanny and Sudie Halfacre. His father Tanny was a Methodist minister and in January of 1920 the Halfacre family lived on Powell Street in Winnona, Mississippi. The family consisted of Tanny, Sudie and eldest son Eddie along with another son Alton and daughter Lela L., and the youngest son named William L. The Halfacre's did have another daughter named Norma who was about 2 years older than Eddie. Eddie, who was 17 at the time, was listed on the 1920 Federal census as being in the US Army.

Norma Sue Hickman who provided the photos of Eddie Halfacre, is his niece. Lela L. (Halfacre) Lewis was her mother. She recalls that her mother Lela never liked her name and later changed it to Jacqueline. Norma Sue Hickman is named for her aunt Norma and her middle name of Sue is from her grandmother Sudie.

Photo of Pvt. Halfacre's painted helmet. Provided by Norma Sue Hickman the niece of Mr. Halfacre. When units started to rotate home after the war in 1919 it became fashionable to paint helmets with divisional or unit insignia as a souvenir of the soldiers time in the war zone. Many were very colorful and elaborate depending on the ability of the painter. Norma Sue Hickman recalls about this helmet, "It was always at my house and I can remember during WWII when we had an occasional air raid practice, I would put it on. Somehow I felt very safe wearing it. Looking back, that is indeed funny since the chances of an air attack in Meridian, Mississippi were very low and I was safe anyway."

Pvt. Ira A. Roberson, 726995, Battery E:

Ira A. Roberson was born about 1891 in Slater, Missouri. His parents are likely Andrew and Jame Roberson who in 1900 lived in Union, Missouri. At that time the family consisted of eldest son Edward born about 1888; Ira born about 1891; Nettie born about 1892; Annie born about 1894 and youngest daughter Clara born about 1896.

On December 19, 1917 Ira A. Roberson enlisted into the National Army at Akron, Ohio. He was at the time aged 26 years and 2 months old. So
this would make his birthday sometime around October or November of 1891. His home at the time he enlisted was 24 S. Nebraska Street in Kent Ohio.

His service number was 726995 and was a Private in Battery E, 64th Artillery, CAC through out his service in the army. He served overseas from July 14, 1918 until February 24, 1919. Pvt. Roberson was Honorably discharged from the Army on April 10, 1919. On October 12, 1938 Ira Roberson passed away. He is interred at Mt Zions Cemetery in Greene County, Arkansas. It's a fairly large country cemetery that is in the hills about 10 miles from Paragould, Arkansas. This cemetery is located on Hwy 141 in Greeene County, Arkansas near Crowley's Ridge State Park. It is owned by Mt Zion Baptist Church.

The stone of Ira A. Roberson. Photo provided by Brenda Whitman who documents veterans grave sites for an Arkansas Genealogy group.

Captain Reuben Bragstad, Commanding Officer, Battery E

Born June 11, 1890, Death Febryary 14, 1883 Burial: Mount Pleasant Cemetery Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, South Dakota, USA

2nd Lt. Harry R. Schultz, Battery A

2nd Lt. Harry R. Schultz, C.A.C., USA

Harry Roy Schultz was born on February 26, 1897 in Cincinnati, Ohio to Frank Schultz and Katherine (Van Duzen) Schultz. Harry enlisted in the Army upon the United States entry into World War I, was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant and served with Battery A in France. He was honorably discharged on 31 Mar 1919 at Fort Monroe, VA.

Upon returning to the US from France after the war, Harry married Nellie Lindsey Hedger and settled in Clifton (now South Newport), Kentucky. They had for sons; Harley McCracken, Marshall Franklin, Darwin Lindsey and Alvin Russell. He served with the Newport Fire Department for 22 years until his retirement, becoming Assistant Chief of Engine Company No. 3 (Clifton/South Newport) in 1959. His first wife Nellie passed away in 1948; Harry remarried in 1954 to Lorraine Lauderbach.

Harry disappeared from his home in South Newport on August 25, 1966 and was missing for three months. He was found in a wooded area by children, approximately 400 yards from his home on November 20, 1966 and later identified by his son, Harley Schultz, a Fort Thomas Police Officer. The County Coroner stated that he may have suffered a heart attack. Harry is buried beside his first wife Nellie at Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio in the family plot of his maternal grandfather, Charles Martin Van Duzen (Section 71, Lot 10).

A group of officers from Battery A, 2nd Lt. Schultz is shown on the right end.

Grave stone of Harry Roy Schultz

Harry and Nelle Schultz

Harry Roy Schultz. Biography and photos by his grandson, Robert Harry Schultz

Wagoner John Henry Thomas, HQ Co.

Only a veteran can know the real sacrifice that another veteran makes during the service to his Country. One such veteran is Rob Schultz, and during a search into the history of his relative, 2nd Lt. Harry Schultz of Battery A, 64th Artillery, C.A.C. Rob found the grave marker of another veteran of the 64th Artillery.

Buried not far from the grave of 2nd Lt. Harry Schultz is the marker for the grave of Wagoner, John Henry Thomas of Headquarters Company, 64th Artillery, C.A.C. It is very likely that these two Kentucky veterans knew each other during their service in France during WWI. Wagoner Thomas was in the Headquarters Company and 2nd Lt. Schultz was in Battery A, but being they were both from the same general area of Kentucky they were likely to have known of each other and even in death they are buried close by.

John Henry Thomas the Wagoner from Headquarters Company was born on October 25 of 1895 and he passed away on December 2, 1952, that much is known from his grave marker. But there is much more to John Henry’s story and we only know a small glimpse of whom the medium built man with blue eyes and light brown hair was.

It is known that John Henry Thomas was the son of Henry Thomas and Carolyn “Carrie” M. Rusche Thomas. Henry and “Carrie” were born in Kentucky, Henry in 1871 and “Carrie” in 1867. Both were of German heritage and had been married about 1891. The couple made their home in Covington, Kentucky and in 1910 Henry worked at a tile factory in Covington. “Carrie” worked in a grocery store and had by 1910 given birth to 6 children, 5 of whom were still living. The children were Marie born about 1894, John Henry born in 1895, Katherine born about 1901, George born about 1904 and lastly Margaret born about 1906. At the time of the taking of the 1910 Federal Census it was recorded that Marie who was 16-years old at the time was working as a pants maker for a tailor in Covington. John Henry who was then 14-years old was working as an errand boy for a local dry goods store.

At the age of 22-years John Henry Thomas was at the age he was required to register for the first call up for the Federal Draft during WWI. He did so on June 5, 1917 and at the time he was single, living in Newport, Kentucky and worked as a crane operator for a company in Newport. Once in the army he was placed into the army’s Coast Artillery Corps, and likely due to him being a heavy equipment operator was selected as a Wagoner. This was a rank in the army, which no longer exists but the job was basically a truck driver. Many of the men in the fastly expanding army of WWI were just farm boys and many had not had experience with modern equipment, let alone ever being more that a few miles from home. Now the men would have to learn new skills and leave the country, something that was not a small task given the innocence of most of the men just coming into the army at that time.

Wagoner, John Henry Thomas served in the Headquarters Company of the 64th Artillery, sailed to France and returned with the regiment after the war. He would have been discharged and we can guess he returned home to Kentucky. The rest of his story is not known but what is known is that he served his Country in her time of need and that we all should remember his service to his beloved country. Still Free today because of men like Wagoner John Henry Thomas, who answered her call for help.

John Henry Thomas passed away in Campbell County, Kentucky on December 2, 1952 and lies today buried in the Mother of God Cemetery in Kenton Vale, Kentucky.

2nd Lt. Carlton C. Estes, Battery D

Carlton C. Estes born November 21, 1895. Died may 24, 1982 Burried in the Mountain View Cemetery, Longmont, Boulder county, Colorado.

Ambrose J. Kolodzie, Sr., Supply Company

Ambrose J. Kolodzie, Sr. was born on March 19, 1900 and passed away on October 20, 1989. He is buried in the Holy Trinity catholic Church Cemetery in Falls city, Karnes county, Texas.

Lt. Orland Patton, Battery F

Birth: unknown. Death: unknown. Burial: Oak Grove Cemetery, Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches County, Texas, USA

2nd Lt. John Raphael Scofield, Battery E

John Raphael Scofield was born on May 6, 1893 and passed away on February 8, 1982. Burial: Saint Joseph Cemetery, Lockbourne, Franklin County, Ohio.

Musician 3rd Class, Stanley E. Williams, Headquarters Company

Stanley E. Williams was born on May 15, 1896, and passed away on November 19, 1954. Burial: Tioga Point Cemetery, Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania.

William J. Plummer, 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

Steven McManis recalls about his grandfather William J. Plummer. He was born 6/22/1891 and died 4/19/1948. William J. Plummer is buried at Saint Stepens in Fort Thomas, KY.

Corporal Earl B. Coon, 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

Earl B. Coon was born on January 10, 1896 in Nacogdoches County, Texas. He was married to Evie Jewel (Crow) Coon (1896-1977) and together they had two daughters, Jewel (1897-1900) and Pearl (1900-1902). Earl died in Nacogdoches County on March 29, 1968. He is burried in the Bethel Cemetery located in Appleby, Texas.

PFC Colva L. Bush, 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

On his gravestone is written:

Colva L. Bush
Pvt 1 CL  64 Regt C.A.C.

This is the only known photo of PFC Bush while in the army.

Sgt. Almon Stacey, 64th Artillery, C.A.C.

Almon Stacey was born in Marble City, Arkansas on February 25, 1905 and died in the Fitzsimmons Army Hospital of TB in Denver, Colorado on January 21, 1935. Stacey was a Sergeant with the 64th Artillery, C.A.C. and due to his age likely did not serve during WWI but served with the 64th while the unit was stationed in the Hawaiian Territory in the 1920's. 

Pvt. John Francis Connor, Battery C

Prologue: These pages were culled from a small leather-bound, decrepit handwritten notebook written by John Francis Connor, Birth October 1, 1891 in Lockport, Illinois Death January 23, 1970 in Joliet, Illinois. He was my grandfather, who died a week before I was born. I transcribed the Gas Instructions Notes from the first page of writing, but those notes are not complete as the terms are technical and the pencil writing  difficult to read. There is also a page which just lists geographic locations, which I have placed right after the gas instructions. For geographic location names, I corrected misspellings based on Google Maps place names for the locations involved, particularly the smaller villages. The entries run from July 5, 1918 to April 3, 1919.

John Connor, grandson of John Francis Connor

Property of John F. Connor
Bat. C 64 Art., C.A.C., A.E.F.
Home address: 1203 Benton St., Joliet Ill.

Gas instructions Notes

The 5 classes of German gases
1. Lethal gases. Phosgene family. Diphosgene Green cross outside shell
2. Diphosgene and chloropicaren. Green cross with figure one
3. Diphosgene chloropicaren and arsenic poison. Green cross with fig. 2
4. Lethallachry matory (tear gas) White band around shell and white on black letter B (Broma Ketomis?)

Places John F. Connor was during his time with Battery C

Pensacola, Fla Lane, SC Wilson, NC Washington, DC Eddystone, PA Long Island, New York Banbury, England Plymouth, England Montmarillon, France
Thomasville, Ga Lake City, SC Elm City, NC Baltimore, MD Philadelphia, PA Liverpool, England Oxford, England Le Havre, France Nantes, France
Valdosta, Ga Florence, SC Rocky Mt., NC Aberdeen, MD Trenton, NJ Nottingham, England Basingstoke, England Le Mans, France St. Naziare, France
Waycross, Ga Pembroke, NC Emporia, VA Wilmington, DE New Brunswick, NJ Sheffield, England Winchester, England Angers, France Newport News, VA
Savannah, Ga Fayetteville, NC Richmond, VA Chester, PA Newark, NJ Leichester, England Southampton, England Del Poitiers, France

Diary of Overseas Duty, John F. Connor, Battery C

(There are many spelling errors and some of the diary is very hard to make out. It was transcribed as close to what was written as possible.)

July 5: Left [Fort] Barrancas [Pensacola, Florida] for overseas duty. Had a celebration before we left. Band played all the fort was out and a bunch of sailors was there to wish us God speed on our journey.

July 8: Arrived at Camp Upton, Long Island at 11 p.m. Dead tired but happy. Took a cold shower and felt fine. It was a delightful trip and everything went ok.

July 13: Left Upton to board the good ship Khyber, an English ship. Took ferry to get to it.

July 14: Left N.Y. at 10 a.m. passed lots of well known buildings going down the harbor. Also passed the Statue of Liberty. Our convoy consisted of 13 vessels all told (one battleship).

July 26: Arrived at Liverpool and it felt fine to be on land again. Our eats were poor on the ship but we had fine weather most of the way except it was cold. Marched to a rest camp about 5 miles from the dock. Had a cup of hot coffee and went to bed. Was [battalion?] orderly all the way over. It is daylight here from 4 am till 11 p.m.

July 28: Left for Winchester Rest Camp. Got King George’s message to the American soldiers as were boarding the train at Knotty Ash. The journey was revelation to me as I never pictured England near as pretty as it was.

July 30: Left Winchester for Southampton where we boarded an American boat for France the same night.

July 31: Arrived at Havre at 7 a.m. First sight we saw was a base hospital and a train load of wounded. Went to rest camp water scarce. Saw my first German prisoners in a bullpen. Had a raid over Havre. I heard the antiaircraft guns but thought it was from the front. The boys said you could see the shells bursting in the air. Killed a doctor not far from us.

Aug 1: Left Havre in boxcars 34 to each car. All right in daytime but hell at night as there is just room enough for half to stretch themselves out.

Aug 2: After a ride of 24 hours we arrived at La Coutar tiere [La CoutardiŹre, Brainsurl'Authion, France] a small village 4 mi from Angers

Aug 3: Went swimming at the creek and more than pleased with our (indecipherable) Reg. around here For tobacco no chance to get any. lots of wine but it is sour no like. Wrote home to Mother.

Aug 4: Went to Mass first time in a mo. Two meals today.

Aug 5: First drill today since we left Upton. Very little eats.

Aug 6: Drew our tobacco rations, drilled and had a band concert. Wedding party coming from church Band played here comes the bride when they approached. Good time.

Aug 7: Fatigue digging holes to dump slop etc.

Aug 8: Received mail two letters lucky

Aug 9: Went to creek to take a bath and wash clothes.

Aug 10: Stood inspection wrote to Ann. Drew tobacco made 1st ci.? [cigarette?]

Aug 12: Had a medal? man showing us how they go over the top lft lapel?

Aug 13: Won relax from B.D. [battalion duty / battalion detail?]

Aug 14: First big mail call & letters

Aug 17: Stood inspection, howitzer arrival

Aug 18: 70th Reg. beat us 6 to 4 went to game in ammunition train

Aug 19: Drew tobacco rations

Aug 23: Paid today

Aug 24: Wrote home Nellie & Pete McHale

Aug 25: Went to Mass. Beat 70th Regiment 5 to 1

Aug 26: Had first gas instructions

Aug 27: On K. P. went swimming also

Aug 28: Rained. More gas inst.

Aug 29: Had artillery inst. hair clipped off

Aug 30: General instruction. Had to get up at 11:15 p.m. and clean clothes mad last night but laugh this morning over it also sign Payroll

Aug 31: Fatigue half a day slept the other

Sept 1: Went to church also wrote to Anna Reilly, Bossi and mother

Sept 2: Same usual chilly gas instr.

Sept 3: Artillery inst. and drill guard tonight

Sept 4: Done guard with a club first time did it since at Fort B? Upton?

Sept 5: Went to confession also heard a concert at Andard from Pepin? Paris?

Sept 6: On fatigue at Anders on the base hospital putting up tents talked with a bunch of boys that were wounded at the 2nd battle of the Marne. Same tents

Sept 7: Stood inspection took a bath and went to village about 7k away

Sept 8: Went to church and wrote

Sept 9: Rained slept all afternoon

Sept 10: Got paid, rained most of the day

Sept 11: Drew our gas mask also had about 100 qt of wine

Sept 12: Nothing? now no rain now? [barely legible]

Sept 13: Bathing at creek hill? at night? assembly? of drunks

Sept 14: Inspection in morning? of cart? guns they inspected fingernails Grohme? drunk and said he could throw up thru his nose that night

Sept 15: Went to church visited the 71st Regiment

Sept 16: Same usual drills

Sept 17: Moved over with Mickey in a laundry? room

Sept 18: Was in room orderly. band concert

Sept 19: Had to move out of our snug quarters hard luck for us

Sept 20: On fatigue digging holes for slop. Had to stand show for inspection and artillery also

Sept 21: Listened to a talk from the Pres. of Sears Roebuck of course it had to rain before he got there. He was witty.

Sept 22: Same usual drills

Sept 24: On K.P. officer’s mess

Sept 25: Beat a drill also went on a grape foraging? Expedition Band concert

Sept 27: Had show dorm inspection and lecture by Captain Mullin

Sept 28: Had inspection of rifles and quarters

Sept 29: On guard with a stick again. rained of course. Our first man died in France today name Babu Mich? Baker, Mick?

Sept 30: Nothing

Oct. 1: Had our first gas drill at night had shouting etc. all along the road

Oct 2: There are 19 men died since we have been in France. The Lieutenant said 15 out of Bat. B everyone but two has been sick in that outfit and even they have been drunks since they hit here.

Oct 3: Got five letters in the mail call from Lina and Anna

Oct 4: Had show down inspection everybody has to put their shelter half up between themselves and their neighbor so they would not breath each others air. It looks just like a bunch of stables.

Oct 5: Took sick with the influenza and went to the hospital. Got good care and had regular beds. Had a fever of 102.

Oct 16: Moved out of the hospital to the seminary in trucks. Nothing to do but eat and sleep.

Oct 19: Came back to the Company and was delighted to get back. As my buddy Falk died there in the hospital while I was there. We are in quarantine in a hayloft.

Oct 20: Still in quarantine

Oct 21: [unreadable]

Oct 22: [unreadable] glad of it

Oct 23: Still sick and Lou Larue? Lee Larye? Lee Laiye? died today.

Oct 24: Masked? marked? duty and spent the day digging ditches

Oct 25: Had inspection got hell bawled out of us by Major Bill but nobody minds him. Our blue dress were too soiled

Oct 26: Stood inspection and mounted guard that night

Oct 27: On guard all day with a club

Oct 28: Cleaned the howitzers all day

Oct 29: Inspected by the Brigade Com. General Ketcham

Oct 31: Batl orderly went in gas chamber at Andard

Nov 1: Inspected by Col./Lieut.? Alarcis? Afards?

Nov 2: Left La CoutardiŹre about 10 o’clock with a truck load. Had no dinner. Loaded our guns, tractors and goods and then laid around the warehouse. Hell raised because the fellows stole jam and brandy. Left at 6 the next morning in box cars.

Nov 3: Arrived a Montmarillon at 10 p.m. but slept in the cars all night.

Nov 4: Moved out to a little village and there is lovely scenery around this part. We are right by a river where we wash. Sleeping in a barn.

Nov 7: They have moved us around to different billets several times. We are quartered in a hayloft now. We have inspection every day but I get out of them as I am in HQ section

Nov 10: Went to church in the AM and to Montmarillon in the PM. Heard a band concert the first one in a long time. Also visited the church there

Nov 11: The war has ended. Great rejoicing around here. Flags all waving and pinning flowers on soldiers. I feel rotten on not seeing some of it

Nov 13: Still taking it easy working one day and taking off the next

Nov 16: Moved to Montmarillon and are billet in a shed in an alley

Nov 21: Had a review of the second battalion today. It was the first time we had one in France.

Nov 22: Had a regimental parade today reviewed by the Brigade Commander Ketcham

Nov 23: Church in the AM band concert in the PM

Nov 24: Turned in our barracks bags and other equipments

Nov 29: Was battalion orderly today. Had inspection of equipments

Nov 30: Had general battalion inspection by Major Ostrum?

Dec 1: Battalion orderly. Fine weather for this part of the year.

Dec 2: Left Montmarillon at 10 PM for the billets we formerly occupied near Angers.

Dec 3: Arrived at Angers at 1 AM and marched 10 km to our billet tired as it is almost impossible to sleep in the boxcars

Dec 8: On battalion orderly steady. Drew bayonets raincoats and gloves

Dec 9: Paid today also ordered under quarantine for the mumps cooties starting to make their aquaintance

Dec 15: Quarantine lifted today. Sunshine today for the first time since we came back. Still battalion orderly.

Dec 16: Eight of us had a great chicken dinner at Cornia. Cost us 20 francs each

Dec 22: All it is doing is raining all the time. 1st Lieut told us he could not be with us Xmas but that we were a damn good outfit and he wished all of us a Merry Xmas

Dec 25: Went to midnight mass and communion. Had an entertainment [illegible, cig?] got a Xmas box at the Y.

Dec 27: Got my Xmas box from home and sure enjoyed it.

Dec 30: Went to Angers with Micky and visited the Great Chateau along the river and several churches

Jan 4: Had new clothes for inspection today with socks and everything we could carry and then some. It is doing nothing but raining all the time

Jan 11: Good eats at Cornia for seven of us

Jan 27: Left La CoutardiŹre at 2 AM for St. Nazaire. We arrived there at 3 AM and then had to stand around with our packs on till around 8 AM

Jan 28: Had physical inspection and also had all our clothes steamed for the cooties bath too. Strict here if you do the least little thing they put you in a labor battalion for they need the men. I’ll consider myself lucky if I get by

Feb 2: Inspected by and reviewed by General Pershing and his staff. Had to line up and froze for about 2 hrs. before he showed up. I wish he stayed at home.

Feb 6: Went out on a hike to St. Marc [SaintMarcsurMer?] a great summer resort. big rocks along the beach 100 ft or more in height. I ran picking up all the seaweed.

Feb 10: Marched down to the boat in the PM Got hot chocolate rolls cigarettes etc. from the Red C. before going on.

Feb 11: Started out to sea at 11 AM The Bay of Biscay is very rough.

Feb 24: Arrived at Newport News at 7 AM and marched out to Camp Stuart. Got a fine reception along the line.

Feb 28: Left Camp Stuart for Camp Eustas at 3 and got there at 4. It is the worst place yet away back in the sticks.

March 26: Left Eustas for Camp Grant

March 28: Reached Camp Grant

April 3: Leaving for Home

PFC Arthur L. Armstrong, Supply Company

Arthur Leroy Armstrong was born to James Calvin and Ozella Adeline (Mears) Armstrong on September 30, 1895 in Texas. He died on December 31, 1935 in Newgulf, Wharton Co., Texas. He is buried in the Confederate Cemetery located in Alvin, Brazoria Co., Texas, near his parents.

Arthur L. Armstrong enlisted into the United States Army on July 13, 1917 and likely went to Fort Crockett, Texas, as that was the location where the Supply Company of the 64th Artillery was being formed. Armstrong was given his army service number of 729865 and began the process of becoming a soldier. He sailed to France and served through out the duration of the war with the Supply Company. After the war and the return to the States of the 64th Artillery PFC Armstrong was given an Honorable Discharge on April 14, 1919.

Armstrong would live the rest of his life in Texas until his death on December 31, 1935. His headstone on his grave was delivered and set on October 31, 1936. The photo of the gravestone was sent to me by Katie Mitchell Clifton who is a relative to Arthur Armstrong. He was her Great-Aunt’s husband.

Headstone of PFC Arthur Leroy Armstrong

Mechanic John S. Johnson, Battery A

The Dog Tags of Mechanic John S. Johnson of Battery A,
64th Artillery, CAC Service No. 720016


If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

This page owned by Joe Hartwell ©2002-2019

This page was created 28 September, 2002 and last changed on February 26, 2019

[ Return back to the Coast Artillery History Page ] [ Return Back to the Site Map ]