Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
75th Artillery C.A.C.

The History of the

75th Artillery C.A.C.

During WWI

The 75th Artillery Regiment, CAC, was part of the 40th Artillery Brigade, with the other Regiments that made up the 40th Artillery Brigade being the 73rd and 74th Artillery Regiments. As the 75th Artillery, CAC, was being formed on May 31, 1918 at Ft. Moultrie, South Carolina, the following Coast Artillery units were the basis of the formation of the 75th Artillery:

Supply Company and Battery B came from men serving at Fort Moultrie, South Carolina

Battery A came from men serving at Fort Caswell, North Carolina

Battery C came from men serving at Fort Screven, Georgia

Battery D came from men serving at Fort Barrancas, Florida

Battery E came from men serving at Jackson Barracks and men from the New Orleans Coast Defenses

Battery F came from men serving at Fort Crockett, Texas

Once the men had been reassigned from the above named units the balance of the men needed to bring the 75th Artillery up to war time manning levels came from newly drafted National Guard men and National Army volunteers. In June of 1918, the Headquarters Company, Battery B, and the Supply Company of the 75th Artillery were organized at Ft. Moultrie, South Carolina. On June 21, 1918, the 10th, 11th, and 12th Companies Coast Defenses of Charleston, South Carolina then at Ft. Moultrie, were disbanded, and the enlisted personnel were transferred into the newly forming 75th Artillery, CAC. Once the 75th was at war time strength they departed Ft. Moultrie on September 23, 1918, for Camp Merritt, New Jersey to begin the trip to France. The regiment sailed from Port of Embarkation Hoboken, New Jersey on October 5, 1918, aboard the transport USS Siboney. They arrived in Brest, France, on October 16, 1918, and then travelled to Mailly-le-Camp, and Haussimont (Marne) to the American Railway Artillery base camp.

The Commanding officer of the 75th Artillery when they sailed to France in October 1918 was Colonel Godwin Ordway, C.A.C. The officer’s of his staff were:

Captain Moses Goodwin, C.A.C.
Captain John H. Brown, C.A.C.
Captain Thomas C. Gower, C.A.C.
Captain Raynor A. Fairless, C.A.C.
1st Lt. Joseph H. Gilbreth, C.A.C.
2nd Lt. Einar V. Sorensen, C.A.C.

The 1st Battalion and Batteries C and E then proceeded to the Intermediate Supply Depot at Gievres, France and Battery E remained there until the Armistice was signed. The 1st Battalion moved to Alencon, France on November 5th, 1918, and Battery C to Reignoc, France on November 4th, 1918, and both remained there until the Armistice. Batteries D and E remained at Brest until November 1st. Battery D took station at Avoine, France on November 5th and Battery F at LaSuze-sur-Sarthe, France on November 2d, both Batteries remained at these stations until the Armistice.

None of the batteries of the 75th saw any action at the front lines, or were issued any artillery guns, as they had just begun to train when the Armistice was signed and the big guns fell silent.

But on January 2, 1919, six enlisted men and one officer of the 75th Artillery, CAC participated in the most important thing that the 75th Artillery, CAC did while in France. Special Order No. 2 dated January 2, 1919, was issued from the Office of Supply Headquarters, Base Section No. 1, in France to Captain Charles D. Case the Battery Commander of Battery C, 75th Artillery, CAC. This order was by Colonel John S. Sewell, Corps of Engineers. This order detailed Captain Case to take a detail of six-enlistedmen from the 75th Artillery and proceed to Paris and report to Major Montgomery T. Legg, Quartermaster Corps, and take possession of one-million dollars in cash. This was for the payroll of the United States Army and was to be taken to St. Nazaire, France and turned over to Major Ernest P. Hoff, Quartermaster Corps. On January 1, 1919, as per the telephone instructions Captain Charles D. Case along with the following named enlisted men, were to undertake this order. The six enlisted men were;

Engineer, Sgt. Dwight H. Thornburg, Service No. 822299, Battery A
Engineer, Sgt. Clinton F. Hughes, Service No. 728207, Battery D
Electrical Sgt. Edmund R. Wagner, Service No. 586152, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Electrical Sgt. Francis C. Mueller, Service No. 835509, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Radio Sgt. Isaac L. Best, Service no. 728623, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Fireman Sgt. Ben Mayhue, Service No. 963842, Battery F

Captain Case and his detail of six men carried out their orders and went to Paris, got the cash and took it to St. Nazaire and delivered it to Major Hoff of the Quartermaster Corps. This was the most important thing of the war for Captain Case as he did not make it into battle during the war. The typed order he folded and kept in his brest pocket, he kept when he returned home and he framed it under glass and hung it in his home for many years, pround of what he and his detail of men had done. Today it still survives in the Case family.

On February 25th, 1919, the entire75th Artillery was standing on the dock at St. Nazaire, France loading aboard the USS Aeolus and sailed two days later on February 27th, bound for Newport News, Virginia. On the way across the Atlantic the Aeolus makes a two-day stop in the Azores to re-coal. They reached the States on March 13, 1919, and went to Camp Stuart, Virginia, and then was demobilized at Camp Grant, IL during the month of March.

Station List of the 75th Artillery while in France, City (County)

Batteries A & B Gievres (Loir-et-Cher) Oct. 31-Nov. 4, 1918
Batteries A & B Alencon (Orne) Nov. 5-11, 1918
Battery C Gievres (Loir-et-Cher) Nov. 1-4, 1918
Battery C Reignac (Indre-et-Loire) Nov. 4-11, 1918
Battery D Brest (Finistere) Oct. 16-Nov. 5, 1918
Battery D Avoine (Indre-et-Loire) Nov. 7-11, 1918
Battery E Gievres (Loir-et-Cher) Oct. 31-Nov. 11, 1918
Battery F LaSuze-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe) Nov. 2-11, 1918

The Regimental Muster of the 75th Artillery, C.A.C.

As I find and uncover history of men who served in the 75th Artillery during WWI, I will list them here. Please if you have a family member who also served in the 75th contact me and I will add it to this list.

First Sergeant, Carl F. Palmgren Service No. 715950, HQ Co., 1st Battalion

I was contacted by Lt. Colonel Jay Martin Hamilton (Ret.) about a relative who served in the 75th Artillery. The name of the relative he was researching was Carl F. Palmgren. Carl was born on July 16, 1892 in Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois of Fred and Christine Palmgren. Mr. Palmgren developed Heart Disease and died in the VA Hospital in Los Angles California on January 28, 1931 and is buried in the VA Cemetery, 950 South Sepulvada Blvd. Los Angles, CA 90049, Section 78, No. 18 Row M.

The following is Mr. Palmgren's military history:

Mr. Palmgren on April 19, 1917, entered the Army at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. On August 31, 1917. Pvt. Palmgren moved to the 5th Company, South Carolina National Guard at Fort Moultrie South Carolina. At Ft. Moultrie there were five Companies manning the Forts there. Pvt. Palmgren was in the 5th Company until 31st of August, 1917 when the 5th Company was replaced by the 2nd Company from Charleston, SC. I'm assuming that the 5th Co. was absorbed into the newly formed 61st Regiment that formed in May, 1918 at Ft. Moultrie. The 2nd Co. from Charleston took over duties of the 5th Co. at Ft. Moultrie. On November 1, 1917 Pvt. Palmgren was promoted to Pfc. while with the 5th Company. Pfc. Palmgren was with the 2nd Co. until 10 December, 1918 when he was listed with the 61st Artillery, Battery A. He may have been transferred and was with Battery A, 61st Artillery until June 23d, 1918.

Then on 23 June, 1918 he was transferred to the 11th Company. This was the 11th Co. from Charleston, SC that was stationed at Ft. Moultrie, SC. There seems to be a gap in the time line here and I'm assuming that the 11th Co. was absorbed into the newly forming 75th Artillery at Ft. Moultrie. The 75th Artillery was organized at Ft. Moultrie, SC in September of 1918. The 75th Artillery sailed from Port of Embarkation Hoboken, New Jersey on October 5, 1918 and the date that Pfc.Palmgren was listed in HQ CO, 75th Regiment of 27th October fits. He must have joined HQ Co. just as they sailed for France. He was transferred to Battery D most likely while in France and probably returned with Battery D as well. On November 14, 1918 he was promoted to Corporal. On February 28, 1919 he was promoted to First Sergeant.

The 75th returned to the States on March 13, 1919 and went to Camp Stuart, VA and then was demobilized at Camp Grant, IL that same month. First Sergeant Palmgren was Honorably discharged from the US Army on March 31, 1919.

An earlier photo of Carl Palmgren most likely taken while at Fort Moultrie, SC. Visible on his left breast over the pocket is Palmgrens award for having achieved Class "A" Marksmanship, US Army, for small arms proficiency. This photo provided by Lt. Col. Ret., Hamilton. This photo shows a seasoned veteran. Visible on his left shoulder is the shoulder patch of what looks to be that of the 1st Army Artillery. Coast Artillery Corps Regiments were commonly known to wear this shoulder patch. On his right sleeve are the markings of a 1st Sergeant, so this would date this photo from February 28, 1919 to March 31, 1919. Also you can see in his left breast pocket a First Sergeant's brass whistle by which he alone assembled all of the troops under his leadership. And it looks as if he is holding a cigar in his left hand. It was told to me that Carl did smoke heavily by the family and this may have been some cause of his Heart Condition by which he expired in 1931. This photo provided by Lt. Col. Ret., Hamilton.

Pvt. Neil Westwood Service No. 715440, HQ Co., 1st Battalion

Neil Westwood was born to Martha A. and Richard Dalin Westwood on September 22, 1898 in Moab, Utah. Neil would enlist into the United States Army on February 11, 1918 at Ft. Douglas, Utah and was given his service number of 715-440. He was a Private serving in the 1st Battalion of the 75th Artillery Coast Artillery Corps. Pvt. Westwood served in France with the 75th and did return with the 75th and was Honorably Discharged from the Army on April 2, 1919.

In a family genealogy history entitled “Westwood family History” that was written and published in 1973 by one of Neil’s grandsons the following entry is recorded about Neil Westwood; “Neil attended Grand County High School. He left the 11th grade to enlist in the Army in 1918 for World War I. He went overseas and was in France when the armistice was signed in 1919, but was never at the front. He nearly died of mumps on the way home on the boat. He hadn't reported that he was sick before boarding for fear he might have to wait to come home later. He never got over talking about the terrible water they had to drink in France. That's where he started to drink coffee as the raw water was not fit to drink.”

Neil Westwood would return to Moab, Utah and live with his parents after his discharge from the Army where he worked as a general laborer. Neil would marry Ida Blake on June 1, 1920 in Monticello, Utah. Ida was born on January 12, 1900 in Las Vegas, New Mexico, and her parents were Henry Elwyn and Ida Barker Blake.

Neil was a farmer most of his life and Ida taught school. Together Neil and Ida would have 7 sons and 2 daughters. Richard E. born about 1922, Melvin N. born about 1924, Gordon L. born about 1925, Kenneth D. born about 1927, Barbara born about 1929, Dorothy, Clyde D., Blake L. and Russell C.

Neil Westwood’s family history can be traced back to England where his grandparents were born. Neil’s grandfather was Richard Westwood and he was a Brick Mason by trade, his grandmother was Catharine. Once Richard and Catharine came to America they had at least one son named Richard Dalin born August 9, 1863 in Utah. Richard D. Westwood passed away on September 5, 1929 in Utah.

Richard D. Westwood married in 1888 to Martha A. who was born in July of 1871 in Utah. Her father was born in Arkansas and her mother was French Canadian by birth. Together Richard D. and Martha would have 10 children with 9 children who lived. They were, Daughter Ellen (b. Oct. 1888), Mary A. (b. abt. 1889), Kate (b. Oct 1892), Ruth (b. July 1895), Son Neil (b. Sept 5, 1898), daughter Grace (b. abt. 1901), Son Vern (b. abt. 1903), daughter Ida (b. abt. 1909) and daughter Anna (b. abt 1911). Neil’s father Richard D. worked as a farmer and sometimes worked as a miner and lived his entire life in Utah.

Neil Westwood would pass away in Umatilla County, Oregon on September 10, 1953 where his wife Ida survived him until her death on June 19, 1990. Neil and Ida are buried in the Spanish Fork, Utah Cemetery in plot BL 3 27B.

Radio Sergeant Clarence A. Cunningham, Service No. 694034, Headquarters Company

Clarence A. Cunningham was from Colfax, California, and was born in 1898. He served as a Radio Sergeant in the Regimental Headquarters Company of the 75th Artillery, CAC and passed away in 1948. He and his wife Lorretta are buried in the Colfax Cemetery in Placer County, California.

Radio Sergeant Isaac L. Best, Service No. 728623, HQ Co., 1st Battalion

Isaac L. Best enlisted into the United States Army on June 27, 1917 at Waco, Texas. He was placed into the the Headquarters Company of the 1st Battalion of the 75th Artillery, and sailed aboard the USS Siboney with the 75th Artillery. Sgt. Best kept a small journal while in the army that states that he was a member of the 75th Artillery CAC. Once the war was over he wrote in his journal that he boarded a 15,000 ton ship [the USS Aeolus] on February 25, 1919 to start his journey home from France. The ship set sail on February 27 and steamed out of France and made a stop in the Azores for two days. The ship arrived in Newport News, Virginia on March 13, 1919. In his journal he states that the regiment had a "cootie bath" on March 14. All clothes were steamed and thrown in the bathroom in one big pile for each soldier to find his own clothes. Best ended the journal with the following, "Oh hell! I hope this is the end!" On the passenger manifest of the February 25, 1919, sailing of the Aeolus, Sgt. Best listed his Uncle, August J. Best of 1810 South 8th Street in Waco, Texas as his next of kin.

PFC Benjamin Jacob Goetz, Service No. 324116, Battery B

Born on January 12, 1893 in Campbell County, Kentucky. Died while serving with Battery B, 75th Artillery, CAC on December 2, 1918 from the effects of pneumonia. Ben was the ninth and youngest child of Joseph and Theresa (Seiter) Goetz. Four of Ben's brothers registered for service during WWI but Ben was the only brother who served in the army.

Joseph Goetz family, date unknown. Benjanin Goetz is standing 3rd from the left.

Pvt. John M. Lorentson, Service No. 469708, Battery B

Pvt. John M. Lorentson is remembered by a fellow soldier, Richard E. Traynor, who recalls this about Mr. Lorentson, "John and his brother never married. John served in WWI, and they were like grand parents to me. They loved to hunt and were excellent shots. John died the day I returned from vietnam. I was given his service things. John had both a Sharpshooters Medal and Rifle Medal. John was born on August 18th, 1893, and died on April 9th, 1971." Private John M. Lorentson, Service No. 469708, Battery B, 75th Artillery, CAC. On board the USS Siboney when Pvt. Lorentson sailed to France he listed his father Samuel Lorentson of Woorlville, Wisconsin as his person to contact in case of an emergency.

Pvt. Hubert Wilke, Service No. 715189, Battery B

Pvt. Hubert Wilke was stationed at Fort Moultrie, South Carolina before the 75th Artillery was formed. As the 75th was being assembled Pvt. Wilke was transfered into the regiment, sailing with them to France aboard the USS Siboney. Aboard ship Pvt. Wilke listed his father Julius Wilke of Lagrange, Texas as his person to contact in case of an emergency. Pvt. Wilke served the entire time in Battery B of the 75th while in France.

Captain Charles Denis Case, Battery Commander, Battery C

Captain Charles D. Case, Battery Commander, Battery C

When America declared war on Germany in April of 1917 Charles Case was working as an Electrical Engineer, with the Sanitation District of Chicago located at 31st and Western Avenue. The next month, in May, the Selective Service Act was enacted and he enlisted in the Army at the first opportunity, after he had registered for the draft on June 5, 1917. He was 29 years old and single, living with his widowed mother at 1024 Belden Avenue. His father, a distinguished Chicago Firefighter, died in 1902 during an accident on the way to a fire.

Illinois provided over 350,000 of her sons to the war effort. While they were concentrated in various “Illinois” divisions, many units that trained together were actually broken up and sent off to replace losses endured by other units.

On August 27, 1917, Charles started basic training, attending the Coast Artillery School located at Fort Monroe, Hampton, Virginia directly on Chesapeake Bay. The Coast Artillery School was begun in 1907 and Ft. Monroe was built for the defense of that strategic access into Virginia. When completed in 1834 Fort Monroe was the largest stone fort ever built in the U.S.A. and known as the “Gibraltar” of Chesapeake Bay.

The Coast Artillery Corps (CAC) was responsible for coastal, harbor and anti-aircraft defense. Besides operating fixed guns at strategic points on land the Coast Artillery also used heavy guns, mounted on special flatbed train cars as railway artillery, ideal for moving heavy guns to the front lines of battle at the time. Charles left Ft. Monroe on November 26, 1917.

As part of his training he rotated through to Fort Screven, Tybee Island, located at the mouth of the Savannah river, in Georgia. During the Civil War, strategic Tybee Island was used as a defense position guarding the entrance to the port city of Savannah. The fort itself was established at the onset of the Spanish American War. During WWI it was a training center for coast artillery troops. On November 27, as a DePaul University graduate, Charles was appointed Captain in the C.A.C. and entered active duty as an artillery officer in the 5th Company, Fort Screven, Savannah, Georgia.

According to a paper written by historian William C. Gaines, the 75th Artillery Regiment, C.A.C., was constituted and organized on May 31, 1918, with the Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC) located at Ft. Moultrie.

Six months since being made an officer, on June 6, 1918, Charles was still serving with the 5th Company, Fort Screven. And on June 7, 1918 he transferred into the 75th Artillery C.A.C.

While Charles’ Veteran’s Affairs card after Fort Screven lists him at Camp Stuart, Newport News, Virginia, one of five embarkation camps established in 1917, Gaines writes that the newly constituted 75th Artillery then moved to Camp Merritt, NJ, and staged for departure overseas from nearby Hoboken, New Jersey. At the time America entered the war, the available troop transport ships could not carry many men. So, it could take up to a month or two for an available ship to set sail. And even then, it was not uncommon to take part of a regiment across the Atlantic, where they would re-group again in Europe.

On October 5, 1918, Charles was formally attached to the AEF (American Expeditionary Forces) and sailed from Hoboken, NJ aboard the USS Siboney as the commanding officer of Battery C, 75th Artillery, CAC. Before going off to join the war, he listed as the person to contact in case of an emergency his mother Mrs. Alice M. Case of 1024 Belden Ave, Chicago.
Both Gaines and historian Joe Hartwell have the 75th arriving in Brest on October 16, 1918, where Gaines asserts it was divided up, sending men to various forward positions supporting other regiments. Captain Case, was among those sent to the Marne region and stationed at Mailly-le-Camp, Haussimont with the Railroad Artillery Reserve (RAR) just 90-miles behind (west) of General Pershing’s First Division then fighting near Nancy, France. Within a month, Germany surrendered on November 11, 1918.

One decaying copy of official orders, issued in France, dated January 2, 1919, survived, framed and hung on a wall in his house. Those orders place Captain Case in St. Nazaire in January of 1919.

Those orders are copied as follows: (Sections marked [___] are either illegible or added for clarification or confirmation).

Office of Supply
Headquarters, Base Section No. 1

Special Order No. 2. 
January 2, 1919

10. Pursuant to telegraphic instructions, Headquarters, [___], dated January 1, 1919, the following named officers and enlisted men, 75th C.A.C. will proceed, without delay, from this station to Paris (Seine), reporting upon arrival to Major M. [Montgomery] T. Legg, No. 3 Rue du [____], for the purpose of securing one million dollars ($1,000,000) in United States currency, conveying same to St. Nazaire (Loire Inta.), to be turned over to Major E. [Ernest] P. Hoff, Q. M. C. at St. Nazaire:

Captain C. D. Case
Engineer, Sgt. Dwight H. Thornburg, Service No. 822299, Battery A
Engineer, Sgt. Clinton F. Hughes, Service No. 728207, Battery D
Electrical Sgt. Edmund R. Wagner, Service No. 586152, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Electrical Sgt. Francis C. Mueller, Service No. 835509, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Radio Sgt. Isaac L. Best, Service no. 728623, 1st Battalion HQ Co.
Fireman Sgt. Ben Mayhue, Service No. 963842, Battery F

The Quartermaster Corps will furnish the necessary transportation and will pay the six enlisted men [___] of rations in advance, at the prescriber rate for two days, it being impracticable for them to carry rations of any kind.

The travel directed is necessary in the military service.

By order of Colonel [John S.] Sewell
C. Bennett
Chief of Staff.
[Charles A.]
Official :
John F. Daniell
[Quartermaster Corps]
Copies to:
[Services of Supply]
Major Legg
Major Hoff
Capt. Case

My only explanation of these orders was found in the Official U.S. Bulletin dated January 4, 1919. A four-page article is headlined “Billion and a Half Paid in Salaries to Soldiers by Army Finance Director; Another Billion to Come.” The article goes on to state that the service men would be paid in cash at military posts all around the world.

It can be deduced that Captain Case led that small squadron of men to Paris to pick up one million dollars in cash, deliver it back to St. Nazaire for the purposes of paying soldiers.

For exciting as the mission may have been, (for which we have no further records or diaries, so far), one billion is made up of 1,000 millions. So, you could estimate that maybe 1,000 men were called upon to carry out similar pick-ups and deliveries of cash during that time period. On the other hand, at the time of the Armistice there were still some two million American Servicemen of the American Expeditionary Force overseas and maybe only 1,000 out of that number called upon for that special duty.

Finally, with the Armistice, the regiment was concentrated (reunited as its original Corps) for return to the States. They remained in France until February 25, 1919, when they departed St. Nazaire as a unit aboard the USS Aeolus. According to Joe Hartwell, “At the time, he was with the Headquarters Company of the 75th Artillery, CAC and no longer commander of Battery C. He seems to have been the second ranking officer in the regiment. On the passenger manifest he is listed as second in rank under Colonel George W. Catchell, the then Commanding Officer of the 75th Artillery, CAC. This can be explained by the common practice among the “regular” Army officers being transferred out of the unit, being returned, and only the “reserve” officers returned. The regular Army officers then were assigned to other duties in France or continued on in Occupation Duty.”

The 75th arrived at Newport News, Virginia on March 12, 1919. They were processed back into the States, medically cleared at Camp Stuart, Virginia, where Charles was recorded as “0 %” disabled on date of discharge, and single/unmarried, before being transferred to Camp Grant, Illinois, and demobilized. He was honorably discharged on March 28, 1919 at Camp Grant, Illinois.

Captain Charles Denis Case died on April 3, 1962, of a heart attack, DOA at Henrotin Hospital, Chicago. He was buried on April 6, 1962, in grave Number 6, lot S1/219 in block 36 at Calvary Cemetery, Evanston, where on his grave stone is carved “75th CAC”. He left behind his widow, Julia D. (Moynihan) Case then living at 4531 N. Whipple in Chicago.

Gravestone of:

Charles Denis Case
Captain 75 Artillery CAC
World War I

The above photo shows Captain Case's hat cord in the upper left. The sholder patch of the R.A.R (Railway Artillery Reserve) with the mascot the Oozlefinch bird in the center, a USR (United States Reserves) and Coast Artillery uniform collar pins along with one uniform button and one set of Captains bars, and his dog tag with the origional cloth neck cord. Dog tag states; Case, Charles, D. Captain; 75th Artillery, C. A. C.

Written in August of 2019, by John Happ (b. 1957), the grandson of Captain Charles D. Case. My mother was Julia Alice Case, (1921-2006) My father was Leonard William Happ, (1918-1988)

Captain Ernest H. Reece, Battery Commander, Battery E

Captain Reece was born 20 March 1880 in Ada, Ohio. He entered the Army on 27 August 1917 and was assigned to the Coast Artillery Training Corps at Ft. Monroe, VA. Upon completion on 27 November 1917 he received a commission as a Captain in the Coast Artillery Corps and was assigned to the 161st Depot Brigade. The 161st Depot Brigade was stationed at Camp Grant, Illinois and Captain Reece must have been there also. At some point he was then stationed in the Coast Defenses at Fort Screven, Georgia and as the 75th Artillery was being formed out of units of the South Atlantic Coast Artillery District this is how Captain Reece came into the 75th Artillery. He sailed with the 75th Artillery on 5 October 1918 and was with them throughout their duty in France. He returned with the 75th Artillery to the states on 13 March 1919. Captain Reece was Honorable Discharged from the Army on 29 July 1919.

Pvt. Henry L. Woodard, Service No. 1054254, HQ Co., 3rd Battalion

Polly Gregory-Hussey shared with me about her great uncle, Henry Woodard who died in WWI. Polly stated that on his grave marker, along with a VFW marker she found this:

Henry L. Woodard, Pvt,
20 Oct 1918
Hdqs Co 3rd Bat 75 Arty

Polly relates this about Henry Woodard: "I don't know anything at all. I have been told he died (20 October 1918) in Europe. Mother, his niece, has a beautiful old oval framed photograph of him in his uniform from hips up in a sitting position. I have a bar ribbon of his somewhere, I must have taken it back to Mother. I am an amateur genealogist and am trying to find out a little about him. He was young, born 1 June 1898, Scurry Co, Texas and died 20 October 1918. If I read some of the information correctly he must have died after being in France only about 4 days and did not see action. I wonder what he died from?" My guess would be influenza, that killed as many as did battle deaths.

Pvt. Woodard sailed with the 75th Artillery aboard the USS Siboney for France and he listed his father, Newton Woodard of Snyder, Texas, as his person to contact in case of an emergency. Pvt. Woodard is burried in the Snyder, Texas Cemetery.

Corporal Herbert F. Kerl, Service No. 728738, Battery F

On December 8, 1917 Herbert F. Kerl enlisted into the United States Army at Sioux City, Iowa. Private Kerl was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps of the Army and was assigned to Fort Crockett, Texas. On April 2, 1918 Kerl was advance in grade to Corporal, and he was qualified as a Second Class Gunner on April 12, 1918. In June of 1918 the 75th Artillery Regiment was being formed at Ft. Moultrie, South Carolina. The 75th needed to fill it ranks to wartime strength and most of the men came from units at Ft. Multrie but Ft. Crockett also supplied several men. This is how Cpl. Kerl came to the 75th Artillery.

Cpl. Kerl was a member of Battery F, 75th Artillery, C. A. C. and sailed with the regiment aboard the USS Siboney for France on October 5, 1918. As the person to contact in case of an emergency Cpl. Kerl listed his mother, Mary Doescher of Lyons, Nebraska. He served through the remainder of the war with the 75th in France and they returned back to the states on March 13, 1919 aboar the USS Aeolus. Once the 75th was demobilized at Camp Grant, IL and Battery F was sent to Camp Dodge, Iowa to be disbanded. Corporal Kerl was transferred into Casual Detachment 142 of the 163rd Depot Brigade at Camp Dodge until he was Honorably Discharged from the army on March 24, 1919. Cpl. Kerl was then given a Pass for a train ticket from Camp Doge back to Sioux City, Iowa.

Photo possibly taken at or near the seawall in Galveston, TX
Mail call at Ft. Crockett
At Ft. Crockett, Cpl. Kerl on the right
Cpl. Kerl at Ft. Crockett
Pvt. Kerl washing something at Ft. Crockett
Identified as a group of officers of the 75th Artillery, likely taken while in France.
This photo is the Detachment of men from the 75th Artillery that were sent to Camp Dodge to be discharged from the Army. It is Dated March 18, 1919 and may have been taken at Camp Grant before they would have arrived at Camp Dodge, or it could have been taken at Camp Dodge as they arrived there. Corporal Kerl is shown in the front row, second man from the left.

PFC Altemus H. McGuire, Service No. 730439, Battery F

Altemus H. McGuire enlisted into the Army at Ft. Crocket, Texas on June 22, 1918. He was first assigned as a Private to the 4th Company, Coast Defenses of Galveston, Texas until July 1, 1918 when he was transfered into Battery F of the 75th Artillery CAC that was then being formed for duty overseas in France. Pvt. McGuire made Private First Class on October 1, 1918 four days before sailing to France on October 5. PFC McGuire served with Battery F throughoutb the end of the war and did not see any combat at the front lines as the 75th had arrived too late in the war to make it to the front lines. The 75th Artillery was returned to the States on March 13, 1919 and he was given an Honorable Discharge and was seperated from the army on March 27, 1919.

After discharge from the Army in 1919 McGuire worked on dairy farms and did get married, but was divorced by 1942. During WWII Altemus McGuire again served his Country and enlisted a second time on August 25, 1942 as a Private in the Army enlisting at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Later in life he did get remarried to Margaret Louise. Atlemus was born to Mittie Anna, and Wade Hampton McGuire on September 29, 1900 in Burnet County, Texas. Altemus died on October 13, 1955 in Lampasas, Texas, and was burried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Lampasas.

Pvt. Henry B. Kohne, Service No. 3241158, Battery F

Born May 16, 1894 in Camp Springs, Kentucky. Died December 6, 1971 in Camp Springs, Kentucky. Henry was never married and did not have any children. Pvt. Kohne sailed aboard the USS Siboney with the 75th Artillery for France and aboard ship he listed his father, George Kohne of Melborne, Kentucky, as his person to contact in case of an emergency.

Pvt. William H. Slaughter

Born April 16, 1898. Death July 31, 1947, Burial Rose Cemetery, Prairie Grove, Washington County, Arkansas.

Musician Third-Class Gaar Ingals, Service No. 2573716, and Musician Third-Class Albert Hickstein, Service No. 469148, HQ Co., 75th Artillery Band

In the above photo two of the 75th Artillery, CAC Bandsmen are identified. Musician Third-Class Gaar Ingals, Service No. 2573716, is standing in the first row on the left of the photo holding the Baritone. There is a hand drawn arrow point to his right leg. And the other Bandsmen identified in this photo is Musician Third-Class Albert Hickstein, Service No. 469148, and he is standing in the second row from the bottom on the right side of the photo. Musician Hickstein is a Clairnet player. On the back of the photo is was identified as having been taken on January 23, 1919 in St. Nazaire, France.

This page is owned by Joe Hartwell. © 2012-2019 This page was last updated on November 25, 2019

If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

[Back to the Site Map] [Back to the Coast Artillery History Page]