USS Maryland/USS Frederick Ships Muster

 ACR-8 USS Maryland / USS Frederick
Ships Muster

As I find names of men who sailed this ship I will add them here with what I know of each. If you know additional facts about these men or others who were crew of the USS Maryland/Frederick please e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

I have had so many former crewmen's profiles that I have had to put them on a seperate page. To visit the main USS Maryland/Frederick History page follow this link.

Robert Restad,
Steamed 73,100 Miles aboard the Frederick

David Cranfield's grandfather Robert Restad served aboard the Frederick from 1917-1918

David writes about his grandfather:

A brief history. My grandfather, Robert Restad (b.1886 immigrated from Norway to the United States with his first wife in 1909. She died giving birth to their first daughter, my aunt in 1912. He then married his late wife's sister and together they had another daughter in 1916, my late mother. Both died in 1919 from the influenza epidemic. My mother never spoke of her father as being in the U.S. Navy, only as a merchant seaman. Although I have no data to back it up, I believe my grandfather was a civilian merchant marine on board the Frederick. All photographs I have of him on board various vessels, he wore civilian clothing. On December 13, 1918, Robert was given time off to return to his home in the Seattle, Washington suburb of Ballard. He returned home on December 18. On Christmas eve 1918, his wife Anna fell ill to the flu and died on January 2, 1919. Robert contacted the flu from her and succumbed on January 9, 1919. The Frederick was refitting at Hampton Roads for her new duty in returning the AEF from Europe

While aboard the Frederick, he hand drew a map of the world and painstakingly charted the voyage of the Frederick with lines crossing the seas so many times. The map also contains a legend of sailing dates from various ports and arrival dates at other ports. As I child, I recall the map/chart in paper form. Some time in the 60's, my mother had it preserved and framed. I have just inherited it. It is quite pristine and very legible.

Below are the entries from the chart:

Departed Port Date Arrived Port Date Miles
Bremerton, WA April 5, 1917 San Francisco April 8, 1917 514 miles
San Francisco April 21, 1917 San Diego April 22, 1917 452 miles
San Diego April 25, 1917 Cedras Islands April 26, 1917 290 miles
Cedras Islands May 1, 1917 San Diego May 4, 1917 290 miles
San Diego May 7, 1917 San Jose, Costa Rica May 13, 1917 2113 miles
San Jose, Costa Rica May 17, 1917 Panama Canal May 20, 1917 890 miles
Panama Canal May 28, 1917 Colon via the Canal May 28, 1917 47 miles
Colon May 29, 1917 Bahia, Brazil June 14, 1917 3900 miles
Bahia, Brazil June 15, 1917 Rio de Janeiro June 18, 1917 760 miles
Rio de Janeiro July 6, 1917 Montevideo UR July 10, 1917 1050 miles
Montevideo UR July 23, 1917 Buenos Aires July 24, 1917 125 miles
Buenos Aires July 31, 1917 Rio de Janeiro Aug 1, 1917 1160 miles
Rio de Janeiro Aug 9, 1917 Bahia, Brazil Aug 23, 1917 2688 miles
Bahia, Brazil Sept 7, 1917 Bahia, Brazil Sept 23, 1917 3550 miles
Bahia, Brazil Oct 2, 1917 Rio de Janeiro Oct 5, 1917 760 miles
Rio de Janeiro Oct 14, 1917 Montevideo UR Oct 18, 1917 1050 miles
Montevideo UR Nov 14, 1917 Rio de Janeiro Nov 18, 1917 1050 miles
Rio de Janeiro Nov 19, 1917 Colon Dec 4, 1917 4350 miles
Colon Dec 4, 1917 Hampton Roads, VA Dec 19, 1917 1780 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Dec 24, 1917 Halifax, NS Dec 27, 1917 800 miles
Halifax, NS Dec 28, 1917 Portsmouth, NH Dec 31, 1917 380 miles
Portsmouth, NH Dec 31, 1917 Boston, MA Dec 31, 1917 80 miles
Boston, MA Jan 1, 1918 New York, NY Jan 2, 1918 375 miles
New York, NY Jan 8, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Jan 9, 1918 230 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Jan 16, 1918 New York, NY Jan 17, 1918 280 miles
New York, NY Jan 17, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Jan 18, 1918 280 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Jan 24, 1918 New York, NY Jan 25, 1918 280 miles
New York, NY Jan 31, 1918 Portsmouth, NH Feb 22, 1918 5434 miles
Portsmouth, NH Mar 20, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Mar 22, 1918 585 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Mar 26, 1918 New York, NY Mar 27, 1918 280 miles
New York, NY Mar 31, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Apr 19, 1918 5345 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Apr 28, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Apr 28, 1918 515 miles
Hampton Roads, VA May 2, 1918 New York, NY May 10, 1918 280 miles
New York, NY May 10, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA May 29, 1918 5896 miles
Hampton Roads, VA June 6, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA June 10, 1918 1490 miles
Hampton Roads, VA June 11, 1918 New York, NY June 17, 1918 490 miles
New York, NY June 30, 1918 New York, NY July 19, 1918 5561 miles
New York, NY July 22, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Aug 9, 1918 6142 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Aug 14, 1918 New York, NY Aug 16, 1918 440 miles
New York, NY Aug 30, 1918 Portsmouth, NH Sept 17, 1918 5255 miles
Portsmouth, NH Oct 31, 1918 New York, NY Nov 2, 1918 420 miles
New York, NY Nov 9, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Nov 29, 1918 5280 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Dec 2, 1918 Hampton Roads, VA Dec 4, 1918 190 miles
Hampton Roads, VA Dec 9, 1918 Norfolk, VA Dec 9, 1918 15 miles
Total miles steamed in 20 months: 73,100

Wesley P. Kerr, Fireman 2c

Wesley P. Kerr enlisted in the service 15 Jan 1917. He was assigned to the USS Frederick and promoted to 3d class fireman. The Frederick was at sea when the news was flashed to her that America had declared war on Germany. The ship immediately put in at San Francisco and loaded with coal and shells and sailed for the Cerros Islands, in Mexican waters where the Collier Brutus had been beached in a fog. After 10 days they dragged her clear and then towed her to San Diego, where they took on more coal and supplies and sailed for South America. They went through the Big Ditch as sailors called the Panama Canal and next coaled at Colon. This ship patrolled the Atlantic, and fought three battles with German subs. They continued to patrol and convoy duty, until the Armistice, when they transported troops home from France. Wesley remained in service until 15 Nov 1919, when he received his discharge in New York. His rating at the time of discharge was 2d class fireman.

This photo and information on Wesley P. Kerr was provided by Carolyn J. Kerr. Carolyn was searching for information on her uncle Wesley P. Kerr and found this web page. She was kind enough to share this information about the USS Frederick and Wesley P. Kerr.

Musician Mario Principale

Wanted Clarinet Player


at anchor, 96th St. North River

Mario Principale, joined the navy in 1917-18 in a most unorthodox way-- he saw an ad in the musical union for a clarinet player, "Apply USS Frederick at anchor, 96th St. North River (Hudson River)." He was 25 years old, single, and had no desire to be drafted and serve in the trenches. This, therefore, was an ideal opportunity, so he reasoned. Problem was, he did not really know how to play the clarinet --the violin was his instrument. The Bandmaster who did the interviewing welcomed his ability to play the violin because there was a pianist on board and they could both play for the officers in the officers mess. Although he did blow on the clarinet when in the ships band, not much came out in the way of music. Evidently, other than a quick physical on board, Mario was accepted and within two days, the ship left for Portsmouth to coal up for convoy duty. His other duties were as "stretcher bearer" in case of general alarm.

A Smoker at sea aboard the Frederick's fantail as the band plays for the crews entertainment. The arrow is point to Mario Principale the new "Clarinet" player leaning on the rails. The tune they must have been playing apparently didn't have a clarinet part.

These photos and story of Mario Principale were submitted to me by his son Vincent Principale

The results of the accurate gun crews on board the Frederick. A life raft shattered by a Six-inch gun. On the bottom of the photo Mario has written "On return Trip we had target practice". Mario is standing 3rd from the right in this photo.
A photo of Mario Principale, Musician aboard the USS Frederick. This photo is dated 1918.

Mario's son Vince related this story told to him by his dad:

"When coaling up, every available man had to carry his share of coal bags. All except the musicians who merrily played away while everyone else including many of the officers had to carry coal bags. Needless to say, the rest of the crew was jealous of the musicians. If the bunkers were loaded to capacity then extra coal was placed onto the upper decks. There was coal dust everywhere, in ones eyes, hair, clothes, and even the food."

There is so much more to his story as told to me, but the unusual thing is the way he was expeditiously processed into the navy at that time --no pre-training as in WWII.

GM2c Perry E. Ammon

Perry E. Ammon was born 25 September 1885 in Ohio and in 1900 lived with his parents in Elyra in Lorain County, Ohio. Perry died in January 1963 in Michigan. According to the 1930 Federal Census Perry was married to his wife Jessie (b. abt. 1898) and had one son, Georges S. (b. abt. 1928) and one daughter, Constance (b. abt. 1919). Perry listed his occupation as a Rubber Salesman. Perry and his family were living in Pleasant Ridge City in Oakland County Michigan. Perry at an unknown date entered the US Navy and was in January 1909 stationed on the USS Maryland as a Gunners Mate Second Class. This is known from a disciplinary letter dated 8 February 1909 in which it states GM2c Perry E. Ammon was found guilty from a General Court-martial of “Leaving station before being regularly relieved.” The letter reads as follows:
Office of the Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet,
USS West Virginia, Flagship
Callao, Peru, February 8, 1909

The Commanding Officer,
USS Maryland.

Perry E. Ammon, Gunner’s Mate, Second Class, U.S. Navy, attached to the vessel under your command, having bee tried before a general court-martial and found guilty of “Leaving station before being regularly relieved” was sentenced to the following punishment:

“Three (3) months restriction to the limit of the ship in which he is or may be serving and to lose pay amounting to one hundred and fifteen dollars and fifty cents ($115.50).” This sentence has been approved to take effect from January 6, 1909.

Very respectfully.
(sgd) W. T. Swinburn
Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy.
United States Pacific Fleet.

GM2c Walter R. Holdridge

Photo of Gunners mate Second Class Walter R. Holdridge. The small handmade brass document holder above contains a document giving GM2c Holdridge permission to wear 1 Service Chevron. It is dated 10/23/1918 and at the top states USS Frederick. At the bottom is stamped S. C, Rowan, Commander, US Navy. Cmdr. Rowan was the Executive Officer of the Frederick at the time. The document also has been stamped with the official seal of the Frederick.

Walter R. Holdridge was born on May 16, 1894 in the state of Michigan. He, in 1910 was living with his older brother Louis Holdridge and wife Merrilas, on a ranch home in the Lee School District of Rosebud County, Montana. Twenty-six year old Louis was born in Michigan and Merrilas was 19 at the time. Merrilas was born in Montana and both of her parents were Canadian. Walters second eldest brother Albert also lived in the home. Albert like his brothers, was also born in Michigan. It is not known exactly whom the parents of the 3 Holdridge brothers were but both were not living at the time and both were born in Germany. The only fact known about the parents was that their mother’s maiden name was Petzky. Eldest brother Louis worked as a Rancher, Merrilas was keeping house and the two youngest brothers Albert and Walter worked as Laborers. Louis and Merrilas in April of 1910 did not have any children.

Louis and Merrilas were living in September 1918 in Cody, Wyoming where Louis was a policeman for the Town of Cody. It is not known if his brothers went with his to Wyoming or not. Walter eventually left the ranch and his brothers and joined the Navy. It is not known when he joined but he served on the Armored Cruiser USS Frederick during WWI.

After Walters discharge from the Navy he moved back to Montana where he worked as a farm laborer on a Company farm. In February of 1920 he was living in the Loren Duesnbery Boarding house on the Crow Indian Reservation in Big Horn County, Montana.

By 1930 Walter, who was now 35-years old had moved back to the state of his birth and was living in Ferndale, Michigan with his wife, Margaret J. She was born about 1897 in Michigan and at the time she and Walter did not have any children. Walter and Margaret were married about 1924 and the home, which they owned on 505 Woodland Avenue in Ferndale, Michigan, was valued at $6,000. Walter was working as an Inspector in an auto factory at the time. Walter and Margaret lived in Michigan for several years and Walters Social Security Card was issued to him before 1951 while living in Michigan. At some point Walter moved to Glendale, California where on the 28th of November 1966 he passed away.

Commander Stephen Clegg Rowan 1882-1958

Commander Stephen Clegg Rowan

The small brass document holder made by GM2c Walter R. Holdridge aboard the Cruiser USS Frederick, which allows him to wear a Service Chevron contains the name of “Commander S.C. Rowan” on the bottom corner. It is simply stamped on the card, “S.C. Rowan, Commander, US Navy” but the name of Rowan holds a very rich and historical place in the pages of the history of the United States Military. At the time this small document was made on October 23, 1918, Cmdr. S.C. Rowan or Stephen Clegg Rowan was then the Executive Officer on the Armored Cruiser USS Frederick.

Stephen Clegg Rowan carries in his name a proud and historical family tradition. He was named for his grandfather who was also named Stephen Clegg Rowan (1808-1890), and was at the height of his military career a Vice-Admiral of the Navy.

Vice-Admiral Rowan was born in Dublin, Ireland on Christmas Day, 1808. His parents came to America when Stephen was still a small boy and settled in Southwestern Ohio. Stephen attended public schools and then went to college at Miami University from 1825-26. In February of 1826, Stephen was appointed as a Midshipman to the United States Naval Academy. This would be the defining moment in which 3 generations of Rowan men would over the next 100 plus years serve the United States Military, both in the Navy and the Army.

For his first sea duty Midshipman Rowan served on the USS Vincennes, a 703-ton wooden hulled vessel under sail. She was commissioned in August of 1826 and her first duty was a voyage to sail around the world. Midshipman Rowan was seeing the far reaches of the world that he could only dream about as a young boy back in Ireland. Rowan rose up through the ranks of the navy, and during the war with Mexico (1846-47) was then a Lieutenant serving as the Executive Officer on the USS Cyane. During this time he was wounded slightly by a spent ball during the battle of La Mesa, Upper California on January 9, 1847.

During the Civil War he was in command of the USS Pawnee and later was attached to Commodore Stringham’s fleet. In 1870 he was promoted to his last rank, that of Vice-Admiral, where he served until 1889 when he retired from active service on his own request. Vice-Admiral Stephen Clegg Rowan passed away in Washington, DC on March 31, 1890 of Bright’s disease where he had been ill most of the winter.

But before his death in 1890 Vice-Admiral Rowan had raised a family, which would carry on the tradition of service to the Country he came to as a small boy. About 1855 the Vice-Admiral, then a Commander had a son. He was named Hamilton Rowan, who was born in Indiana, likely near the same area in Southwest Ohio where his father had grown up. Hamilton Rowan would follow in his famous fathers footsteps and serve in the military, although not in the navy, Hamilton would serve in the Army. This was likely a source of some good rivalry between the father and the son. Hamilton Rowan was an Artillery officer and a Graduate of West Point, serving in many outposts in Central America. Hamilton would reach the rank of Major before he retired from the Army. Major Hamilton Rowan was married to Elizabeth Hamilton and together they raised two sons, both of whom would carry on the family tradition of service in the military by their famous grandfather, Vice-Admiral S.C. Rowan.

The two sons of Hamilton and Elizabeth Rowan were Hugh and Stephen. Hugh was the youngest son and would follow his father’s path into the US Army serving as an Officer. Stephen the eldest son who carried the name of his famous grandfather, Vice-Admiral S.C. Rowan, entered the United States Naval Academy just as his grandfather did some 73 years before. Stephen Clegg Rowan, the grandson, would have entered Annapolis in 1899 at the age of 17-years and graduated with the class of 1903. Cadet Rowan on February 2, 1903 graduated 5th in his class.

By 1910, twenty-seven-year old Lt. Stephen C. Rowan was on duty at the Philadelphia Naval Yard, where he lived in a rented room at The Colonial, and was single at the time.

By 1915 Lt. Rowan had met and fell in love with a young Washington D.C. socialite named Henrietta Winslow Fitch. She was the daughter of the Chief Engineer of the Navy, Henry W. Fitch. During the summer of 1915 the dashing Lt. Rowan and Henrietta were the talk of the Washington Social Society, and by late summer a wedding was planned. The summer cottage of the Fitch’s in Bay Head, New Jersey was selected as the place for the wedding. At Noon on September 11, 1915, a cousin of the bride married Lt. Rowan and Henrietta. The Rev. Montague Gear, the Vicar of Old St. Paul’s Church in New York performed the ceremony at the All Saints Church in Bay Head, NJ. After the wedding the newlyweds moved to Washington D.C. where Lt. Rowan was on duty at the Navy Department. Stephen and Henrietta took an apartment at the Woodward as their first home.

In the mid summer of 1916 the first child was born to Stephen and Henrietta, a daughter named Elizabeth H. She was born in New York while the family was visiting friends but the Rowan’s lived in Washington D.C. at the time. Then in late 1917 their second child a son named Stephen Clegg, Jr. was born. This was followed in the late fall of 1919 with another daughter named Alexandrine.

In the years before WWI, Lt. Rowan was stationed at the Navy Department, but soon enough it was time for sea duty. Now at the rank of Commander he was assigned as the Executive Officer on the armored cruiser USS Frederick during WWI. The Frederick was then on station in the Atlantic performing the arduous task of convoy escort duties.

After the war ended, Commander Rowan returned home and continued his career in the navy. In January of 1920 he was living in New London, CT with his wife and 3 children. The Rowan’s lived at 767 Montauk Avenue in New London, which was a rented home. Henrietta employed in the home two servants, Louisa Carter, a 40-year old black woman who was widowed and Rosa Jones who was a single 32-year old black woman.

By 1930 Commander Stephen Rowan had been advanced to Captain, and he and his family now lived in San Diego County, California as his duties had taken the family to the West Coast far from their roots on the East Coast. The Rowan’s were living in another rented home, as they did during most of Captain Rowan’s career in the navy. The home was located at 631 A Avenue in Coronado, California, where the monthly rent was $158 per month. Also Henrietta had a live in maid named Nellie Piatti, who was a 43-year old Mexican woman.

Captain Stephen Clegg Rowan retired from the Navy at his present rank of captain. He passed away on July 24, 1958 and four days later on the 28th of July was buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Section 2, Site 3727. His wife Henrietta lived another 14 years and on September 13, 1972 she passed away and was buried next to her husband in Arlington on the 19th of September 1972.

Captain Stephen Rowan’s brother Hugh Rowan was a Career Army Officer and Hugh passed away on May 7, 1973 and is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery near Chevy Chase, Maryland.

The name Rowan carries a rich tradition to the military service of the United States, and as such the navy has honored the Rowan name. There have been four U.S. Navy ships that have carried the name USS Rowan. The first was a Torpedo Boat named USS Rowan (TB-8) commissioned in 1899 and decommissioned in 1912. The second was a Sampson-class Destroyer, USS Rowan (DD-64) 1916-1922. The third ship was a Benham-class destroyer, USS Rowan (DD-405) 1939-1944. And the fourth ship was a Gearing-class Destroyer; USS Rowan (DD782) built in 1945. This ship was decommissioned by the navy in 1975 and was then sold to Taiwan but sank while being towed there in 1977.

Radioman, Andrew Louis Romagosa

Radioman Andrew Louis Romagosa

Above on the right is an enlarged portion of the photo on the right, which of the USS Frederick's Flag Division. Romagosa was a crewman on the USS Frederick during the early 1920's and this photo was taken on board the Frederick on 1 July 1921. This is the full platoon of the Flag Division of the USS Frederick taken 1 July 1921. This was taken on the Frederick just forward of the main 8-inch forward turret. The large chains in the foreground are the 3 chains of the three ships anchors. In the center of the photo can be seen one of the two gun barrels of the 8-inch turret. Behind that can be seen the ships bell. This is a good view of the wheelhouse and bridge wings. Radioman Andrew Louis Romagosa is 3rd row up, first from the left. Romagosa’s grandson shared this photo.

Gunner's Mate Melver W. Reavis

Melver William Reavis was born on September 30, 1886 in Yadkinville, North Carolina. Yadkinville is a small town located in the rich tobacco growing lands northwest of Winston-Salem, just south of the Virginia State line. In the late 1880’s when Melver Revis was born, there were no less than 17 plug tobacco factories in operation in Yadkin County.

As Melver grew into a young man he wanted to seek out new adventures that would take him far from the tobacco fields of his home. Sometime prior to 1910 Melver joined the navy for a 4-year term. This was known from his WWI Draft Registration form where he stated that he had served a 4-year term in the US Navy.  It is known that on May 14, 1910 he was serving on the Armored Cruiser, USS Maryland, which was then at anchor at the Mare Island Naval Yard in San Francisco, California. His rank at the time was Gunner’s Mate, and from photos the family has he may have been assigned to the Maryland’s main battery of 8-inch guns, as he is pictured setting on the turret of one of these guns.

After his term of service was over Melver returned to civilian life. It is not known if he returned to his home in North Carolina but on June 5, 1917 when he registered for the Federal Draft he was living in Crete, Indiana, which is located in Randolph County. Crete is located northeast of Indianapolis, about straight east of Muncie, near the Ohio State line. There in Crete he had a farm, in which he farmed by himself. Melver was married at the time and had two children by then. Melver was a tall, stout man with brown eyes and brown hair, and it is likely that he did not serve in the military during WWI as on the 1930 Federal Census he is listed as not being a Veteran.

Melver’s wife was named Estelle Cook, and she was born about 1895. She was born in North Carolina, as were both of her parents. While Melver and Estelle lived in Randolph, County Indiana they, about 1914, had their first child, a daughter named Olive C., and then about August or September of 1915 another daughter Clydine A. was born. This was followed by another daughter named Melva L. born in1918 and a son, Willard W. born about March or April of 1919. All 4 children were born in Indiana.

Within 8-months of the birth of Willard, the family had moved back to North Carolina, as Melver and Estelle were living on a Farm in Clarksville Township, Davie County, North Carolina. Melver had cattle or hogs as he was listed as a “Stock Farmer” on the 1920 Federal Census.

On May 12, 1923 Melver and Estelle had another daughter. Here name was not listed only that it was a female on the North Carolina Birth Index records. It was noted that this daughter was born in Callahan, Tennessee. On the 1930 Federal Census appears a daughter to Melver and Estelle that is named Mildred who would be the correct age so this must have been the daughter listed on the North Carolina Birth Index from 1923.

The last child born to Melver and Estelle was a son named Patrick who would have been born sometime in 1925. All together Melver and Estelle had 6 children.

By April of 1930 the family was still living in the same farmhouse in Clarksville Township, where Melver was still farming the ground. Also at the time Estelle’s mother Nancy Cook lived in the home. Nancy was born about 1852 in North Carolina of parents who were also born in North Carolina.

At the age of 82 on September 14, 1969, Melver William Reavis passed away in a Veterans Hospital in Salisbury, North Carolina. His wife Estelle had passed away before him and they lived until their deaths in Davie County, North Carolina, just outside of Mocksville.

Lt. Charles Doyle Leffler, Jr.

Born May 24, 1897 in Sanford, Florida he was appointed on 30 June 1914 as a Midshipman at U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy on 29 June 1917. First duty was on the USS Frederick on 4 September 1917 to 1 October 1917 when he was transferred to the USS Pittsburgh on 4 October 1917. On 15 October 1917 promoted to rank of Lt. jg and on 14 July 1920 promoted to Lt. and was as of 14 July 1920 still on the Pittsburgh at the present rank of Lieutenant.

Seaman Allan Charles "Tommy" Harrington

The photo above is of Harrington on the right and an unidentified sailor on the left. His hat band says USS Maryland and this would date this photo from 31 March 1914-25 April 1916.

Allan Charles Harrington was born as Charles Allan Harrington on January 15, 1895 in Middleton, Washington County, Oregon. He was the son of Benjamin Rouse Harrington and Laura Anna Davis. He lived with his parents until the age of 18 years, nine months and 16 days when he enlisted into the U.S. Navy.

Allan C. Harrington entered the US Navy on 31 October 1913 as an Apprentice Seaman at the Navy Recruiting Station, San Francisco, California. In documents received from the National Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO it states that App. Seaman Harrington, service number 135-85-07, was stationed on the Receiving Ship at San Francisco on 31 December 1913. And on 19 January 1914 was advanced in rating to Ordinary Seaman and still attached to the Receiving Ship at San Francisco. On 31 March 1914 Ordinary Seaman Harrington was assigned to his first ship. This was the USS Maryland. On 4 January 1915 O. S. Harrington was again advanced to the rating of Seaman and still stationed on the USS Maryland. For an unknown reason on 30 June 1915 Seaman Harrington was transferred to the U. S. Naval Hospital, Mare Island, California. He was transferred out of the US Naval Hospital on 9 July 1915. It is assumed that he went back to the USS Maryland and was next listed as of 31 December 1915, on the USS Maryland. On 25 April 1916 Seaman Harrington was transferred from the USS Maryland to the USS Charleston.

Seaman Harrington wrote his mother, Mrs. B. R. Harrington, R.F.D. 3, Sherwood, Oregon, and this was sent from the USS Charleston while in the Panama Canal Zone. The envelope was cancelled: Canal Zone, Panama with 1c stamp and dated May 12, 1916, Colon, Panama. The Charleston had just arrived in the Canal Zone 5 days earlier.

Dear Mother:

I never got a answer to the last letter I wrote but I left the Maryland and San Diego [California] about the time I should a got a answer. Got transferd to the Charleston one night and sailed for Panaman the next day, took us about ten day's to come here. The San Deigo came through the canal last Sunday. Don't know how long were are a going to stay here but I guess it will be for quite awhile this is a good country nice and warm, get quite a few tropical showers here but they are nice and warm so it don't hurt us any, will send some pictures they took as we were coming through the canal as soon as I can get them will take about a month or so. Well I will close this time, Allan

Address: Care of Postmaster, U.S.S. Charleston, New York, N.Y.

He would be on the USS Charleston throughout the remainder of 1916 and into 1917 until 22 October 1917 when he was transferred off the USS Charleston. He again for an unknown reason went to the US Naval Hospital in Chelsea, Massachusetts from 22 October until released on 30 October 1917. Seaman Harrington was discharged from the Navy at the Naval Hospital in Chelsea, Massachusetts on 30 October 1917.

While in the U.S. Naval Hospital, Chelsea, Massachusetts Seaman Harrington met his future wife Marguerite Blaney who was a nurse in the Naval Hospital. Marguerite was from Ireland and on November 5th 1917 Seaman Harrington and Marguerite Blaney were married by Ivory F. Frisbee, who was a Justice of the Peace at Frisbee's home at 672 Fremont St. in Boston, Massachusetts. Allan and Marguerite moved to Middleton, Oregon to live with Allan's parents. Marguerite gave birth to a baby boy on June 9, 1918 and they named him Charles Fremont Harrington. Marguerite nursed her baby for nine months then deserted the family and was never seen again by any member of the family. Presumably she went back to Boston or Ireland. Allan worked as a Hook Tender for the Northwest Steel Company in Portland, Oregon during this time. Also during this time he held a " Certificate of Service to Able Seaman" certificate issued to him by the United States Department of Commerce, Steamboat Inspection Service.

According to the 1920 federal census Allan Harrington worked as a laborer for the railroad in Washington County, Oregon. Sometime during the 1920's Allan moved to New York where he was listed on the 1930 federal census as living in Manhattan, in York City. There he lived in a boarding house and worked as a gas steamfitter. Later he worked for the Rural Utility Co., Inc. Water Plants and Disposal Systems, in Mt. Kisco, NY as a truck driver. During this time Allan was called 'Tommy". Dorothy Strickland, Allan Harrington's granddaughter named her first born son - "Thomas Allan" after him. Dorothy Strickland shared these photos shared information with me about Allan Harrington.

On June 22nd, 1936 he was on his way home when the truck he was driving with two passengers was in an accident near Poundridge, Westchester County, New York. Allan Harrington died of a fractured skull on June 23, 1936 in the hospital at Mt. Kisco, New York. He was buried on June 25, 1936 in the Oakwood cemetery, in Mt. Kisco, New York.

Allan Charles "Tommy" Harrington

This was a photo of the Maryland that belonged to Seaman Allan Harrington.

Quartermaster Fred Sanford Rice

Fred Sanford Rice was born on 11 May of 1888 in the state of South Dakota to Elbert and Nettie C. Rice. Fred’s father Elbert was born in June of 1854 in Ohio and worked as a Barber in 1900. His mother Nettie C. was born in November of 1859 in the state of Missouri. According to the 1900 Federal Census the family lived in McGregor City in Mendon Township, Clayton County, Iowa. Fred was the oldest son and at the time he had two younger sisters, May O. born in June 1890 and Eloise N. born in October of 1893. All three children were born in South Dakota.

Fred Sanford Rice enlisted in the U. S. Navy on September 8, 1906 and was honorably discharged on June 4, 1910. His entire tour of duty was aboard the USS Maryland, where he served as Ordinary Seaman, and later, Signalman. The 1910 Federal Census was taken on 2 May 1910 on board the USS Maryland while she was stationed in the Navy Yard at Treasure Island in California, and Fred Rice was still stationed at that time on the Maryland, which was the only ship that he served on while in the navy. His name appears among the crew listed. He was 21years old and single at the time and was listed as being a Quartermaster.

While on the Maryland Fred had many adventures and he recorded some of these adventures in a personal diary. Fred would have traveled to the Asiatic stations with the Maryland and he also would have been on board while the ship was in quarantine in the harbor in San Francisco on account of the smallpox outbreak there. Paraphrased here are some excerpts from this diary while the Maryland was in the Galapagos Islands taking surveys and soundings of the islands for future coaling stations.

On Sunday 14 February 1909 Fred writes that they have sighted Indefatigable Island in the Galapagos Islands. He states that land was sighted about 6:00 am on the starboard bow. This turned out to be Charles Island and not Indefatigable Island as they had first thought. He notes: “Passed one small island with two holes large enough to sail a cutter through.” The Second Division consisting of the Maryland, Colorado, Pennsylvania and West Virginia headed to Charles Island. They then split up and the West Virginia, Colorado and the Pennsylvania went to Tagus Cove on the west side of Albermarle Island. The Maryland went to Conway Bay on Indefatigable Island. She arrived about near five o'clock that afternoon, and anchored in eleven fathoms of water about one and a quarter miles from the shore, near the Guy Fawkes Islands.

The next morning on the 15th Fred and 7 other signalmen went ashore with Chief Quartermaster Martin and Mr. Eckhardt the Navigator. Fred writes: “Pulling in we found a fine little cove which was well sheltered from the large seas which roared against the beach all around us. The first thing we did was to clear away a base line 380 yards long and we had a time of it. The country is a mass of cold lava rock, cracked, broken and split up into unimaginable shapes and in some places perfectly inaccessible and all is covered with cactus and stunted thorny trees which seem to grow out of the solid rock.” The men then crudely fashioned an ax and started clearing an area and by noon they were almost finished.

On Tuesday the 16th Fred again went ashore and helped the Carpenter Mates build a large tripod at each end of the clearing they had made. Apparently the work load that day was light as Fred writes: “Went in swimming in the cove and had war maneuvers using sand mud and water for shells.” It rained in the afternoon and Fred stayed on the ship and washed his clothes.

On Wednesday Fred again goes ashore and he writes: “Went ashore in morning with Mr. Wilson and Mr. Moffett and rigged a tide gauge in the cove. Killed an Iguana and skinned part of him. Dressed my skin this afternoon and stretched it out with sticks to dry. Had turtle soup for dinner. Turtle are very abundant here and we caught a good many some weighing two or three hundred pounds.”

By Thursday the 17th of February the shore party had their work completed and were recalled to the ship. All whaleboats were secured and made ready for sea. The Maryland got underway at 10:55 that morning and Fred’s watch took her out to sea. Colorado, Pennsylvania and West Virginia passed the Maryland at sea about 2:00 in the afternoon and about 7:00 that evening the Maryland joins them at sea. Fred reports that the weather was fine all day but around 8:00 that evening it started to rain and kept it up all through the night. Fred then was paid for the month as he noted in his diary.

After Fred left the Navy he settled down and married and started a family. His wife’s name was Edna H. born about 1893 in Iowa. Fred and Edna were married in about 1913 and must have lived in Iowa when they were first married as their daughter, Mary E. was born in Iowa in about October of 1917. According to the 1920 Federal Census Fred, Edna and Mary lived in a rented home, which was in Pierce County, Washington in the city of Tacoma. Fred had a job as a janitor at the time.

In April of 1930 the family was living in San Diego, California. And according to the 1930 Federal Census Fred and Edna may have had only one child, as Mary E. who was 13 years old now was the only child listed. They lived on 41st Street in a rented house in which the rent was $40 per month and Fred still had a janitor job. At some point Fred and Edna moved back to the Tacoma, Washington area. On his Social Security death record it listed that he did have his number issued to him prior to 1951 in the state of Washington, so they must have been living there at least before 1951. Fred Sanford Rice passed away in May of 1972 and at the time was still living in the Tacoma area.

Seaman Joseph Seuffert

Seaman Joseph A. Seuffert

Joseph Adam Seuffert, or “Little Joe”, was born on March 20, 1892 in the state of New Jersey. Joseph’s father was German born, but Joseph and his mother were born in the “Garden State”, New Jersey. When Joseph was about 16 years of age, he joined the United States Navy for a four-year term of service. It is not known when he joined, but he was listed as a Seaman, serving aboard the Armored Cruiser USS Maryland; according to the Federal Census taken on the second day in May, 1910. The Maryland was anchored in the Navy Yard at Mare Island California, and at the time, Joseph was 19 years old (Assuming that he joined the Navy at age 16 - He may have joined the Navy as early as 1907, or 1906). So, if this was the case, then young Joseph Seuffert may have sailed on the Maryland during her South American cruises and possibly visited the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific. He was a seaman first class and he served as a gun-pointer and setter, for which he received an additional two dollars pay per month. At one time he and his partner held a record of 20 hits out of 20 shots, and as a result, he wore an “E” for excellence, on his navy uniform.

On April 18th, 1906, the city of San Francisco experienced a major catastrophic earthquake. The Maryland, part of the great Pacific Fleet, was ordered to help out during this time. She and her crew provided electrical power generation to the beleaguered city. According to family stories retold by his son Richard W. “Dick” Seuffert, Joseph Seuffert often spoke about “Coaling the ship”. Crew members would re-stock the coal supplies on board, in their white uniforms, and spend the next couple of days washing their whites clean. On January 18, 1911, while in San Francisco and stationed aboard the USS Maryland, Joseph Seuffert witnessed Eugene Ely land his Curtiss biplane on board the improvised wooden deck of the USS Pennsylvania, the first airplane landing ever made on a warship.
During the winter of 1910-1911, a plane landed on and took off from a platform constructed on the Pennsylvania's afterdeck, opening the era of naval aviation. At the Mare Island Navy Yard, California in January 1911 she was fitted with a temporary wooden deck in preparation for Eugene Ely's airplane landing attempt. Upon completion of her flight deck Pennsylvania cruised to San Francisco Bay, California, where she anchored for the Eugene Ely's historic flight. Ely landed his Curtiss pusher biplane on board the ship on the morning of 18 January 1911, the first airplane landing on a warship. The landing deck, 120 feet long and 30 feet wide, was inclined slightly to help slow the plane as it landed, and had a thirty-degree ramp at its after end. She then sailed to San Diego Bay, California, and on 17 February 1911 additional test flights were conducted. Glenn Curtiss the designer of the Curtiss Hydroaeroplane was on board for these tests.

After Joseph left the navy, it is unclear where he went but it is assumed that he traveled to New Jersey, most likely Newark. His son Richard "Dick" recalls that he may have worked as a lineman for the phone company. On April 1, 1917 he went into the Newark, New Jersey fire department during the time when they initiated the “Two-Platoon” system. On June 5th, 1917, America was entering into the European conflict and Joseph registered for the draft. He registered because he was required to, because of his patriotism, and before his skills could be put to good use outside of the navy. In June of 1917, as he filled out his draft registration form, Joseph was still single and lived in the city of Newark. He was employed as a fireman for the city. Joseph had dark blue eyes, brown hair and was of medium build. It is assumed, that during WWI, he did not serve in the military again because of his service in the fire department.

In 1918, after a major fire at Port Newark, “Little Joe” picked up pneumonia and then contracted influenza during “…the worst viral epidemic the United States had ever known”. Joseph’s son Dick recollects; “He and another fireman were in the same room at City Hospital in Newark. He woke up one day, and asked where the other fellow was… The nurse told him that, ‘He left the day before’… About a day or so later, he heard the fire department marching band going past the hospital…part of the funeral cortege for the other guy, obviously.”

Joseph Seuffert’s career in the Newark Fire Department lasted about 39 remarkable years. He began that career working for Engine Company # 6, on Springfield Avenue. The fire chief told the new group, “Engine 6 is the busiest firehouse in the city…” The company had 365 runs in 1916 and Joseph started working there when the fire trucks were “Steamer” types. Later on, he worked with the innovative “Ahrens-Fox” fire truck.

In late 1919, and after the war was over, 27 year old Joseph married 26 year old Irene Lukasko. In February of 1920, when the Federal Census was taken, they were living with Irene’s father in Newark. Irene’s father was named Rurl Lukasko and was 54 years old. Rurl was born in Hungary, spoke German and worked as a machinist in a local machine shop. Joseph was still working as a fireman in Newark at the time.

As the next ten years went by, Joseph and Irene were still living in the home of Irene’s father, Rurl who was 64 years old and retired. By then, Joseph and Irene started a family and had three sons, Joseph Allen (born 1920), Donald Carl (born 1922) and Richard Walter (born 1926). The home they lived in was owned by Rurl, and was valued at approximately $5,000. The Seuffert family owned a radio set to go with it. At that time, Joseph was working for the Newark City Fire Department. On the Census form, under the section of Veteran status, it was marked “No” for Joseph; confirming that he did not serve in the military after he registered for the draft in June of 1917. Joseph A. Seuffert lived to be to be 74 years old, passed away on 15 September 1966, and his last residence was in the town of Belmar, located in Monmouth County New Jersey.

Irene and Joseph’s youngest son Dick, like his father, felt the call of duty and joined the US Navy in the fall of 1944. He trained in Sampson New York, near the Finger Lakes. Dick was congenitally color blind, and “Improvised” while taking the navy eye-test, in order to join the navy. He stayed on at Sampson for another three months, as part of the “Ships Company”, and then was sent to Pier 92 in New York City. Dick’s first duty in the navy was to scrape the old paint off the broadsides of the infamous, Spanish-American battleship, the USS Olympia, Admiral Dewey’s flagship from the Battle of Manila Bay. The warship was docked at a New York Harbor pier. Dick was eventually assigned to the navy destroyer USS Endicott DD495, which was then commanded by John D. Bulkeley. In the early part of World War II, Bulkeley was a PT boat commander in the Philippines and he successfully evacuated General Douglas McArthur off of the island of Corregidor. Captain Bulkeley soon transferred to a newly commissioned 2250-ton destroyer (much bigger than the 1630-ton Endicott). USS Endicott DD495 was converted to a minesweeper in Charleston, South Carolina and re-designated as DMS 35. The flagship Endicott, and 11 other mine sweepers, were deployed as part of task force 52.12 and sailed to the Yellow Sea. Task force 52.12 performed pre-invasion mine sweeping operations in the Yellow Sea, the Inland Sea and Kure, from October 19th to November 16th of 1945.

Dick recalls, “Fortunately, they dropped the ‘Big Ones’ before we got there. We went to Japan via the Marshall Islands and Okinawa. We were part of the occupation group, with a homeport of Sasebo, and then we swept the Yellow Sea… Next, we were flagship for the sweeping of the Inland Sea and we were then awarded a Combat Action Ribbon for that - I can’t seem to locate the medal I once had…” Dick then went on to Formosa, Shanghai and Hong Kong. “We also had a side trip to Hiroshima, to see the leveled playing field”. He then left the Endicott in Bremerton, Washington, after coming back to California in the spring of 1946.

Dick returned home and started school in the fall of 1946, and like his father, started to work for the fire department in Newark in 1949. He was then recalled back to the navy in fall of 1950, during the Korean War, and was sent to French Morocco with his wife Dolores. While in Morocco, Dick’s wife Dolores gave birth to their daughter Denise, the first of nine children. Dick was offered an officer’s commission at this time, but declined, in order to pursue other opportunities in the private sector. Discharged in 1951, Richard went back to his previous job at the firehouse, and after that, became City manager for the New Jersey cities of Newark, Middletown and Rockaway Township…

USS Endicott the ship Richard W. Seuffert served on during WWII Photo taken by Richard W Seuffert of Hiroshima, Japan after the Atomic Bomb was dropped.

Richard W. Seuffert, son of Joseph A. Seuffert

Joseph Adam Seuffert’s Veteran Sons…

Joseph Allen Seuffert, born in 1920 (deceased) - A graduate of Notre Dame University and served in the U.S. Army signal corps. Joseph Allen fought in New Guinea during WW II.

Donald Carl Seuffert, born in 1922 (deceased) - A graduate of Notre Dame University and served as a U.S. naval officer on the carrier U.S.S. Leyte during the Korean War.

Richard Walter Seuffert, born November 23rd, 1926 - A graduate of Seton Hall University and served as a seaman on the navy destroyer, USS Endicott. Dick and his wife Dolores currently reside in Middletown N.J. He is a Municipal Administrator by trade, and is currently employed as a consultant for the town of Middletown N.J. The Seuffert’s have 9 children and 14 grandchildren. Dick’s navy nickname was “Slew foot”.

The grandson of Joseph Seuffert, Richard J. Seuffert supplied anecdotal information, period photographs and assisted in the editing of the Joseph A. and Richard W. Seuffert biography.

Sgt. Joseph L. Doll, USMC

Sgt. Joseph L. Doll Shown aboard the Maryland in what looks to be the Maryland’s post Office
Sgt. Doll appears to be looking out an open porthole to his left.

Joseph Leonard Doll was a career Marine and would serve more than 8 enlistment periods finally retiring at the grade of Sergeant Major in June of 1934.

Joseph L. Doll was born in Hamilton, Ohio on December 13 of 1883. He was the son of Joseph P. (b. May 1857) and Carrie (b. Jan 1858) Doll and was of German heritage. In 1900 the Joseph P. Doll family lived at 1812 Brewer Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. Joseph P worked as a paperhanger to support his wife and 6 children. Carrie had given birth to 8 children 6 of who were still living. The six children were; Joseph Leonard (b. Dec. 1883), Rosa (b. Feb. 1885), Ella (b. May 1888), Julia (b. March 1890), Clara (b. Dec. 1891), and Herbert (b. Aug. 1898).

The Life of Joseph Leonard Doll would change forever on April 30, 1906 for that was the day he joined the United States Marine Corps. He could not imagine the places he would see and go with the Marine Corps. He likely thought the far away and mysterious lands in China were only but a dream to a boy from Ohio. But within a years time he would be standing in the ancient city of Peking, China as a member of the Marine Detachment of the American Legation in Peking. Private Doll served his first enlistment in China and Marine life must have suited him well because back in Cincinnati, Ohio on June 17, 1910 Doll enlisted for a second period.

Serving at the Portsmouth, Virginia Navy Yard, Doll made Corporal sometime during September through December of 1910 and was then selected for sea duty. In March of 1911 Corporal Doll reported aboard the USS Maryland where he was a shining example of a Marine. In the span of two years aboard the Maryland he was on March 25, 1913 he was, by the order of the Maryland’s Marine Commanding Officer given Ships Warrant and promoted to Sergeant.

According to Muster list Sgt. Doll was the Acting 1st Sergeant of the Marine Detachment aboard the Maryland from May 8-11, 1913. From May 12-14 Sgt. Doll was in charge of the Maryland’s Marines while the Commanding officer Captain Chandler Campbell was away on leave. When Captain Campbell returned on May 15 Sgt. Doll again returned to the duty of Acting First Sergeant until relieved on May 23.

In December of 1913 his promotion to Sergeant was made permanent and remained with the Maryland through March of 1914. On March 3 he was transferred back to the Marine Barracks at the New York Navy Yard. Sgt. Doll signed for his third enlistment on November 5, 1914 and during this enlistment period served at sea on the USS New Hampshire and USS Nevada.

By October of 1916 he was now a Gunnery Sergeant with the 47th Company Marines. On the day American Declared War with Germany on April 6, 1917 Sgt. Doll was serving in San Domingo, Dominican Republic. On January 13, 1918 Doll was now a Sergeant Major with Headquarters Company, 4th Provisional Regiment.

On August 14, 1918 Doll was given a discharge to accept a Commission to a Provisional Second Lieutenant. Doll reported to the United States Ship Kittery and entered Company D, Officers Training Corps, Quantico, Virginia. Passing the courses to become an officer Doll was now a provisional 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserve. He was then sent overseas to France with the 13th Regiment Marines where he arrived on September 28, 1918. Doll was advanced in grade to First Lieutenant (Temporary) on March 5, 1919 while still with the 13th Regiment. In April 1919 1st Lt. Doll was given command of Company I of the 13th Regiment, and then in July 1919 assumed command of Company B. Once his enlistment period ended he was returned from France to the States on December 7, 1919. He was Honorable Discharged on December 30, 1919.

Marine life was Doll’s life now and so on February 7, 1920 he signed for his 5th Enlistment while in Detroit, Michigan. During this enlistment period he entered service at his last permanent grade that of a Sergeant Major. Once again he was sent to a far off land and just as he began his life in the Corps in Peking, China he would serve nearly the next 8 years with the Legation Marine Detachment in Peking. Like clock work Sgt. Major Doll on February 7, 1924 signed for his 6th Enlistment in the Marines. And again 3-years later on February 7, 1927 signed for the 7th Enlistment.

Now serving in the Marine Detachment aboard the USS Chaumont out of Shanghi, China the day before he signed for his 7th Enlistment, on February 6, 1927 was awarded the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal. While still serving with the Marines in China Sgt. Major Doll enlisted for the 8th period on February 7, 1931. He was now serving with the 4th Marines out of Shanghi. By March of 1933 Doll was made Regimental Sergeant Major of the 4th Marines stationed in Shanghi.

Nearing the end of his long career Sgt. Major Doll was transferred back to the Marine Barracks at Mare Island, California.  There at Mare Island in June of 1934, he retired with just over 28-years service in the Corps.

While in the Marine Corps Joseph Doll did marry, her first name was Lola, she being born on April 1, 1902 making her 19-years younger that Joseph. She and Joseph would live together until February 18, 1959 when Joseph passed away. Sgt. Major Joseph L. Doll (Ret) was on February 24 buried in Section 279, Row E, Site 14 of the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Lola would live on until she passed away on June 1, 1986 and is buried next to Joseph in the Las Angeles National Cemetery.

Musician First Class, Fred L. Larson, USMC

Fred Larson shown relaxing on the deck of the Maryland.
Fred is on the left and the man on the right is not identified but it could be his drinking partner Head Drummer William H. Humphreys, Jr.

Fred L. Larson was a Marine Corps Musician and joined the Marine Corps on September 23, 1908. In October of 1910 Musician First Class Larson was stationed at Ft. Barry in California when he was reassigned to sea duty aboard the Armored Cruiser USS Maryland. Larson reported for duty as a trumpeter to Captain Chandler Campbell the Marine Commanding Officer aboard the Maryland on October 8, 1910.

Aboard the Maryland Larson was not an exemplary Marine. An example of his behavior occurred on the night of September 14, 1911 when Larson was ashore on Liberty, and was overdue from his Liberty from the ship. Nearly two-hours after he was to be back the Navy Shore Patrol caught him and fellow Marine musician Head Drummer William H. Humphreys, Jr. drunk and disorderly ashore. The pair were brought back to the ship and dropped off at the foot of the gangplank. For this action Captain Campbell busted Larson down to Musician Second Class.

Within a few weeks Larson and Humphreys were transferred off the Maryland on August 1, 1911. Both were sent to the Marine Barracks at Mare Island, California. Larson was given a General Court Martial and served an 18-month sentence confined.

Strangely enough Larson was allowed to re-enlist for a second enlistment in the Marine Corps but this was to be as poor of an example as the previous one. Once again on sea duty with the Marine Detachment aboard the Battleship USS Minnesota (BB22) Larson deserted the ship on September 27, 1914. It was not until February 13, 1917 that Larson surrendered to the authorities for his desertion some 3-years pervious.

Seaman 2c, Ralph DeVille Gummerson, USNR

Al Gummerson the grandson of Seaman 2nd Class Ralph D Gummerson, USNR, who served on the USS Frederick from 1918 to 1919 contacted me about his grandfather.

Ralph D. Gummerson served on the USS Frederick during WWI. According to his USNRF Discharge paper he was awarded the Victory Button and the Victory Medal with Escort Clasp. His rating at discharge was Seaman 2c and his service number was 162-29-95. Sea. 2c Gummerson was Honorable discharged from the Naval Reserve Force, in the 3rd Naval District in Brooklyn, NY on 30 September 1921 by Order of the Secretary of the Navy, owing to lack of funds. Gummerson served Active Duty on the Frederick in the USNRF from 5 July 1918 to 12 February 1919. According to his USNRF Enrollment Record Gummerson was born 25 April 1895 in Parksley, VA. Gummerson was 5 feet 11 1/4 inches tall with green eyes and auburn hair and a ruddy complexion. He enrolled in the USNRF on 10 May 1918 for a 4-year term. His previous trade was listed as a Laborer and while in the Reserve Force his Proficiency rating was 2.93, Sobriety was 4.0 and Obedience was 4.0 and his average standing for his term of service was 3.64.

KP Duty gang possibly taken at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Sea. 2c Gummerson is identified in the back row with the arrow pointing to him.

Life on board the Frederick during WWI Convoy Duty

Below are several photos from the collection of Sea. 2c Gummerson, above.

Frederick in Dry-dock getting her bottom scraped and painted.

One of the Frederick's Starboard life boats loose from its davits.

There were still many ships under sail during WWI and the Frederick approaches this Bark on the open Atlantic.

A view off the stern of the Frederick as she leaves the Norwegian bark in her smoke.

Recreation on the Frederick in the form of a boxing match. These sailors have ring side seats on the forward main gun for the match held on the foc'le. Above on the bridge and bridge wings you can see bedding hung to act as splinter shields during war time. Standing on the center of the main turret are two Marine officers.

A right hook gets them every time... Officers look on as the ships company cheer on their man.

Another fight on the Foc'le during August of 1918.

On the fantail at sea during August 1918. Tug of War was another popular past time on the Frederick.

The Frederick's Marines win one from the Frederick's Gunners.

A re-match to safe face. Come on boys lay down and bring home the bacon.

Abandon Ship drill, this is a view looking aft, starboard side with the aft main battery visible on the right side of the photo.

Abandon ship drill same view as above but on the port side.

The warmest day ever experienced on the Frederick during August of 1918. This view is looking forward to the bow from the starboard side. The turret of the main battery is visible on the left of the photo.

The Frederick depicted during a storm at sea.

The Frederick safety brings her convoy to a anchorage as her whale boats are out visiting the transport visible on the right of the photo. Note on the left side just aft of the Frederick is one of her sister ships getting up steam.

The ships band plays on the Foc'le.

Frederick passes an Argentine Battleship the Rivadavia or the Moreno in an unidentified harbor.

On 14 July Frederick salutes the French nation as she raises the French Tricolor above the stars and stripes.

This page is owned by Joe Hartwell ©2001-2011

This page was created on 17 December 2005 and last updated on 10/10/11

If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell

[Back to the Site Map] [Back to the Coast Artillery History Page] [ Return back to the main USS Maryland/Frederick page ]

[Return back to the Ships histories page]