These statistics are derived from NRP Bonsor,
North Atlantic Seaway, 5 vols, David & Charles,
1975-80. Cunard is covered in volume 1.
Gross Tonnage - 13,405 tons
After Cunard had inaugurated the Canadian service in 1911 the company decided that it needed its own purpose-built ships for the route. Subsequently three vessels were ordered from Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, these became the Andania, Alaunia and the Aurania. The Andania was the first of the three ships to launched, on 22 March 1913. The three ships were almost identical, catering only for second and third class passengers. The old-style third class dormitories were replaced by four- or six-berth cabins.
On 14 July 1913 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage calling at Southampton, Quebec and Montreal. Guests on board included representatives from the Canadian Government. The ships second voyage sailed from London. The approach channels to the Thames were dredged for this occasion. In August 1914 the Andania was requisitioned as a troopship and made several trips carrying Canadian troops.
For a few weeks in 1915 the Andania was used to accommodate German POW's in the Thames. Later that year it was used to support the Gallipoli campaign and was involved in transporting troops for the Sulva landings. In 1916 it returned to help transport more Canadian troops. Later that year and, during 1917, the Andania was used on the Liverpool to New York route. On 13 August, 1917 the Andania was docked at pier 54 in Hoboken, New Jersey. She embarked the 6th Provisional Regiment, CAC which consisted of 108 officers and 1,745 enlisted men and at 3 P.M. sailed past the Statue of Liberty on her way to the War Zone. The 6th Provisional Regiment would be changed to form two seperate artillery regiments while in France. They were the 51st and 57th Artillery, C.A.C.
At noon on the November 6, 1917 Andania departed for Europe with 59 officers and 1,635 enlisted men of the 167th Infantry and 22 Casual officers. She sailed with the Ascania who sailed eairlier at 9:45 am that same morning.
On 26 January 1918 the Andania left Liverpool for New York. The route the ship was taking was around the Northern coast of Ireland. There were only 40 passengers on board, along with a crew of around 200. On the morning of the 27th the ship was hit by a torpedo from German submarine U-46 under the command of Oberleutnant zur See Leo Hillebrand. This occurred 2-miles NNE of Rathlin Light, North Channel. The ship immediately took a list to starboard and began to sink. Most of those on board were saved but seven lives were lost. Among the seven lost in the sinking was James Kershaw. Today he is remembered by an inscription on the altar wall of the St. Alphons Church in Kirkdale, Liverpool England.
|The Andania in dry dock next to the Light Cruiser HMS Ajax. This photo was identified by James Pottinger from Bridge of Don in Aberdeen, Scotland. According to James this photo was taken from the yard offices clock tower at the Scotts outfitting basin in the Scotts of Greenock Yards. Leaving his home in Shetland at fifteen James Pottinger served his marine engineering apprenticeship with Scotts' of Greenock 1952-57, in engine shops and outfitting on merchant cargo and tankers, submarines and frigates, then to sail as Engineer Officer in the Merchant Navy,he now lives in Bridge of Don in Aberdeen Scotland. He has for many years now been researching history of the yard and ships built there. The Andania (I) Cunard, made her maiden voyage in July 1913, HMS Ajax was laid down on 22 February 1911 and launched on 21 March 1911, and completed on 31 October 1913 at the Scotts Yard. The Ajax was sold for disposal in November 1926 and broken up next year. James Pottinger's late father served on HMS Shiant in WW II, and granfather, on HMS John Ebbsand HMS Forward in WW I.|
This page is owned by Joe Hartwell ©2006-2018
If you have research comments or additional information on this page e-mail them to: Joe Hartwell