Todmorden Hall – aka Todmorden Old Hall – is situated on Hall Street, Todmorden.
In 1293, a house is recorded here belonging to the De la Deane or De la Dene family. At that time, John, son of William de la Dene, granted to Alice, daughter of William de Radcliffe all his lands in Todmorden.
A timber-framed house was built by the Savile family in the 16th century. It was later owned by the Radcliffe family.
In 1602, Saville Radcliffe inherited the hall from his grandfather, Charles Radcliffe. The hall was rebuilt and the west wing cased in stone around 1603. A mantelpiece is dated 1603, and a lintel with a coat of arms is inscribed SR for Saville Radcliffe.
The east wing has an oak panelled room with a carved overmantle with the initials of Saville Radcliffe and his wife, Kathleen Hyde.
There is a secret chamber over the central corridor.
In 1717, the estate was bought by John Fielden, great-uncle of Joshua Fielden. John and his wife Tamar lived and ran his cloth business from the hall.
In 1743, the central hall was divided into smaller rooms.
In 1795, Anthony Crossley bought the estate.
Dr James Joseph Hague Taylor married Anne, daughter of Anthony Crossley and is recorded there .
From around 1828, it was the home of their son James Taylor.
His son, Dr H. C. Taylor, lived here for 9 years.
In 1838, it was damaged by a mob from Mankinholes who were protesting against the Poor Law Amendment Act .
In 1919, Captain J. E. Sutcliffe and his family lived here.
In 1924, it became the Post Office for Todmorden.
In 1936, the main fireplace was discovered.
The building is now a restaurant.
This is discussed in the books Ancient Halls in & about Halifax and The Old Halls & Manor Houses of Yorkshire
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 11:13 on 26th July 2017 / kk_155 / 6