Halifax house is a general term for the large stone halls and houses built as homes for the wealthy yeoman and merchant families in the period 1580-1680.
The houses are characterised by their two-storey form, dark millstone grit walls, long windows, stone mullions and transomes, gabled roofs, ball finials, elaborate drip-stones in place of any guttering, and porches with the owner's name and the date
These were often E-plan or F-plan in design. From 1450, many local houses were of an H-plan.
They are frequently accompanied by a large aisled barn, as at Clay House.
There are many such houses in the district, notably in Norland, Barkisland, Midgley and Heptonstall - including
After a disagreement in Oxford between the University and local builders in 1608, Sir Henry Savile brought stone-masons – with John Akroyd and Martin Akroyd of the Akroyd family and members of the Bentley family – from Halifax to finish his extensions to the Bodleian Library. In Oxford, they learned many skills, including the use of classical features and columns in their work. These features appeared in many local houses – such as High Sunderland in 1629 – from that time
See Dates of some local buildings
|search engine by freefind|
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 14:23 on 14th May 2017 / kk_183 / 6