Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Foldout

Bull Green, Halifax


Contents:

General Points

Bull Green is a busy area of Halifax town centre. The name has been said to derive from the bull baiting which took place there in the 16th century. But the proximity of Cow Green suggests the more likely proposition that the two were the sites of cattle markets.

It was once simply a street running west from Back Street and Barum Top.

The area – formerly occupied by textile warehouses – underwent considerable redevelopment in 1868 and between 1914 & 1932.

In 1925, the land was sold to a Mr W. Gray.

On 1st February 1926, Halifax ratepayers voted against widening George Street and development of Bull Green.

In 1928, there were proposals to retain the area as an open space. On 6th October 1928, a ballot over the future of Bull Green, voted in favour of retaining it as an open space.

On 3rd September 1930, tenders worth £26,046 were accepted for construction of new shops and offices at Bull Green

Bull Green House was opened on 28th July 1932

Property in Bull Green

The occupants of the properties here have included

Beerhouses & Pubs in Bull Green, Halifax

Several beerhouses and public houses have been recorded in and around Bull Green, Halifax, including

Adega, Halifax

Barcentro, Halifax
Barracuda, Halifax
Barum Top, Halifax
Bull & Dog, Halifax
Bull's Head, Halifax

Crown & Anchor, Halifax

Griffin, Halifax

Hare & Hounds, Halifax
Heath's, Halifax
Heys Restaurant, Halifax
Hop Pole, Halifax
Lewin's, Halifax

Number 15, Halifax

Old Bull's Head, Halifax

Plummet Line, Halifax

Salvation, Halifax
Seven Stars, Halifax

Unicorn, Halifax

WC's, Halifax
White Hart, Halifax

XeSS, Halifax





© Malcolm Bull 2017 / calderdale@aol.com
Revised 11:12 on 6th December 2017 / mmb215 / 17