Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Schools & Sunday Schools : C

Schools & Sunday Schools



Caddy Field Board School
Bennett Street, Trooper Lane. A board school designed by J. F. Walsh. It was built on land bought from the Swan Bank Brick & Tile Company. It opened at noon on 11th January 1897. It was planned to accommodate 315 infants, but only part of this was completed and it accommodated 165 children.

In 1898, a report about the difficulties experienced in the first year of its existence said

To endeavour to instruct some of the ill-fed children is simply a waste of money and energy. As a matter of mere economy it would pay better to feed them, wash them and let them sleep. However it is our business to educate and not to feed them so we do the best we can with the material at our command

It accommodated 190 pupils [1912].

It accommodated 133 juniors [1936].

It became known as Caddy Field Junior and Infants' School.

Closed in the late 1980s. It became a referral unit for disruptive children, known as the Beaconsfield Centre.

Around 2004, it was converted into flats and known as Beaconsfield. The refurbishment won a Halifax Civic Society award in 2006 for its sympathetic redevelopment.

See Southowram Bank Board School

Caddy Field Junior & Infants' School
A later name for Caddy Field Board School

Calder College of Further Education, Todmorden
Built on a slum clearance site in the centre of Todmorden. It cost £200,000. Opened on 17th September 1955 by Sir John Cockcroft

Calder Grange Ladies' Seminary, Mytholmroyd
Run by the Misses Ash at Calder Grange, Mytholmroyd [1860s]. They
placed great emphasis on the moral and religious interests and the social happiness of their young ladies

The seminary closed around 1880

Calder High School, Mytholmroyd
White Lee. Built on the site of White Lee Mill, Mytholmroyd.

Opened in January 1950 as an experiment in secondary education. The school was the first comprehensive school in the West Riding, and took all children from the age of 11, without the 11-plus examination.

In August 1986, arsonists caused damage to the school estimated at £125,000.

In March 2017, the governing bodies of Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School and Calder High School agreed to amalgamate.

Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School closed in July 2017, and relocated to new premises on the site of Calder High School.

See Calder High School War Memorials and Pace Egg play

Calder House Academy, Hebden Bridge
At Moss's Academy [1856].

A boarding academy

Pupils and staff here included

  • Jane Moss schoolmistress [1861]
  • George Haigh Moss schoolmaster [1861]
  • Ann Moss schoolmistress [1861]
  • Mary Jane Riley (aged 14) [1861]
  • Mary Taylor (aged 14) [1861]
  • Sarah H. Ashworth (aged 13) [1861]
  • Caroline Greaves (aged 11) [1861]
  • Jane E. Carr (aged 10) [1861]
  • Emma J. Bagnall (aged 10) [1861]
  • Jane Hoyle (aged 10) [1861]

Calderdale College
Francis Street, Halifax. Part of the Calderdale Colleges Corporation situated in the former Technical College and Percival Whitley College building

Calderdale School of Physical Education
Wellesley Park

Calvert's Factory School
In the 1830s, John & Jonathan Calvert established a factory school at their worsted mill at Warley. The orphans from Kirkdale Industrial School were educated here.

See Child workers at I. & I. Calvert's mills, Calvert Orphans' Home, I. & I. Calvert and Cockroft's School

Carlton House School, Halifax
On November 20th 1880, an advertisement in the Halifax Courier announced

High Class School, Carlton House, Halifax

Head Master: John Naughton

Resident Assistant Masters:

F. A. Drewe MA Caius College Cambridge
W. H. F. Alexander BA London University
H. W. Preston London University

Scholarships amounting to £70 are offered for competition in November 1880

In 1881, the staff included

  • John Naughton
  • H. W. Preston [1856-1???] Assistant Schoolmaster under Graduation, London
  • H. R. Starke-Jones Assistant Schoolmaster under Graduation, London

There were 8 pupils and 3 servants

Carr Green Board School, Rastrick
Carr Green Lane.

Designed by Sharp & Waller.

This was built as a new Board School and it opened on 31st July 1912 to supersede New Road Board School. It cost £5,000 to build.

It accommodated 350 boys & girls and 160 infants. Plans to have a swimming pool in the basement were abandoned.

It closed about 1977 when the school transferred to a new building along the lane.

It was later to a retirement home. Carr Green Nursing Home

Carr Green Junior, Infant & Nursery School
Opened in 1977. It superseded Carr Green School

Carr House Lane British School
Built in 1819.

In 1886, the old school was bought for use as a Sunday school for Bethel Chapel, Shelf using money borrowed from the Methodist New Connexion.

It is currently [2008] used as a workshop

Carrick School & Kindergarten, Elland
Run by Misses Wills [1905]

Carter's School, Halifax
Around 1830, Benoni Carter ran a charity school at 6 Upper Kirkgate, Halifax.

Around 1850, he ran a school at Church Street, Halifax

Castle Hill Primary School, Todmorden
In February 1911, a tender of just over £5,000 was accepted from B. Lumb to build the school.

On 15th March 1913, the New Elementary School opened, to replace the old school at Priestwell. The total cost was £7,650.

It was formally opened in 1916. It accommodated 516 adults

Castlefields Infant School
Rastrick. Started in 1972. Officially opened in 1974

Catherine Slack Junior School

See Frederick Crowther

Centenary Congregational Sunday School, Holmfield
Recorded in 1905 at 223 Shay Lane, Holmfield

Central Board School, Hebden Bridge
Board School built in 1884. It accommodated 760 children

Central Street Infant & Nursery School
Hebden Bridge. Built on land known as Salem Field. Opened in 1884.

A new Infants' School was built in 1984 at a cost of £370,000.

See Stubbings Board School, Hebden Bridge

Central Street Secondary School
Hebden Bridge. Opened in 1809.

There was a fire at the School on 12th December 1928

Centre Vale School, Todmorden
A one-storey building, 60 ft long by 28 ft wide, built by Samuel Fielden at a cost of about £7,000. Opened on 11th March 1872. It accommodated 399 pupils

Charity School
Schools which offered religious instruction, social preparation, and industrial training for children from poor families.

The Blue Coat School and Waterhouse Charity of 1636, included an educational provision.

From 1699, the Church of England raised money for such schools. Local benefactors also gave money for the schools.

Some local examples of charity schools include

Charity schools were often recognised by the colour of their uniform.

A charity boy was a student in such a school

Chippendale's School, Halifax
Around 1838, the Misses ChippendaleAgnes and Ann – ran a private school at Temple Street, New Road, Halifax.

Their (possible) aunts, Margaret and Mary, were at the same address [1841]

Christ Church, Church of England (VA) Junior School, Sowerby Bridge
Park Road. Opened in 1971. It superseded Ellison Memorial Junior School

Christ Church National School, Todmorden
Priestwell. A national school opened in May 1845. It superseded Cross Stone Day School. It was enlarged in 1897. It accommodated 545 children [1917].

The opening was celebrated by an oratorio and concert, at which several local artistes – including singers Mrs Boocock, Mrs Sunderland, Mr Sutcliffe, Mr Womersley, and orchestra-leader Joseph Henry Frobisher – performed.

The school and other property were inundated in floods in August 1855.

Masters at the School have included:


Christ Church Pellon Church of England VC Primary School

Christ Church School, Sowerby Bridge
A national school. In 1897, it had 3 departments: Boys', Girls' & Infants'

Christ Church Sunday School, Sowerby Bridge
The Sunday school for Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge.

See Christ Church Sunday School Roll of Honour

Clare Hall School, Halifax
Skircoat Road. Originally, this was Halifax Higher Board School

In the 1950s, it was popularly known as Halifax Secondary Modern School, The Modern, and Clare Hall Secondary Modern School.

From 19??, it merged with Haugh Shaw School to become Halifax High School.

When Halifax High School moved to Wellesley Park in 2004, there were plans to convert the building to private apartments – although with the heritage-based thinking that makes Halifax great, Allen Clegg, Independent Councillor for Warley, suggested the building be demolished and the whole site turned into a car park.

In December 2008, proposals were announced to convert the building into apartments.

See Plebeians Jazz Club, Halifax and Trinity Court, Halifax

Clarkson's School, Halifax
Around 1850, Misses Clarkson ran a school at Savile Cottage, Halifax

Clay's School, Halifax
Around 1870, Miss Clay ran a private adventure school at New Pellon, Halifax.

It accommodated 98 pupils [1817]

Clay's School, Halifax
Around 1874, M. A. and E. Clay ran a school at Hanson Lane, Halifax

Clegg Endowed School, Todmorden
Founded by Rev Richard Clegg in 1713. This was one of the first schools in Todmorden. It was built in the parsonage garden. It could accommodate 100 boys. The master's house was in rooms over the school. John Travis was a scholar here

Clegg's School, Stainland
William Clegg had a school in Stainland [1834, 1842]

Clegg's School, Wheatley
Around 1838, Richard Clegg ran a school at Wheatley

Cliffe Hill Community Primary School
Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe. Opened 26th June 1953. It served the nearby Stoney Lane and Smith House council estates.

It accommodated 300 pupils.

It was named for Cliffe Hill Mansion.

The first Head teachers were Mrs McBurney and Deputy Head Mr Crossland.

They won the InterSchools Cricket Shield [1957] and the InterSchools Football Cup [1957-1958].

Halifax Golf Club was originally located on the site.

See Stoney Lane, Lightcliffe

Clifton Board School
Opened on 17th July 1882 by Ms Liza Ann Walker

Clifton Church Evening School

Clifton Church School

Clifton Endowed School

Clifton Free School
Aka Clifton Endowed School

The school was established in 1720 to teach

12 children from Clifton and 6 from Hartshead

The school was held in a house on the Armytage estate.

In 1729, Sir John Armytage provided the master's salary from rents of lands in Clifton.

Masters at the School have included:


In 1810, it became Clifton Grammar School.

In 1818, Rev Thomas Atkinson rented part of the school for use as a Sunday School.

See Holly Bank, Clifton and Rev John Ryley

Clifton Grammar School
In 1810, Clifton Free School achieved Grammar School status. A new school was built on nearby waste ground, and the old school became a schoolhouse.

In 1833, the 95 boys attending the school included 65 boarders and 18 poor boys who were paid for by Sir George Armytage.

See Sir John Armytage and Holly Bank, Clifton

Clifton Methodist Sunday School
In 1852, Highmoor Lane School, Clifton opened as a Sunday School.

Masters at the School have included:


Clifton National School
Built in 1872 on land – and with materials – given by Sir George Armytage.

Ellis Wilkinson was the first master at the school.

It closed in 1876. The building was taken over by Clifton Mechanics Institute

Clough Foot Council School, Todmorden
Built by public subscription in 1829. A plaque records

AD 1829

It accommodated 104 boys & girls. Recorded in 1917.

It closed in 19??

It is now a private house

Clough Foot Evening School, Todmorden

Cloughfoot Board School, Todmorden
Recorded in 1888

Cockcroft's: Ebenezer Cockcroft's School, Wainstalls
19th century school run by Ebenezer Cockcroft

The building became known as Rose Cottage

Cockpit School, Illingworth
Keighley Road. The school was kept by John Ingham. He taught on weekdays, and also as a Sunday School.

Masters at the School have included:


Those educated here included Jonathan Akroyd

Colden's: Mr Colden's Charity School
19th century charity school at Trough Street, Boothtown

Colden Junior & Infant School
Hebden Bridge.

See Colden Water, Alice Longstaff and Miss Oxley

Colden Wesleyan School
Highgate. Recorded on 20th June 1891, when the corner-stones were laid for a new Chapel and School

Coley School, Lower Shelf
Coley Road. Opened in 1844. It closed in the 1870s. It has been used as a Sunday School. The building is still used for social gatherings [2008]

College of the Resurrection, Mirfield
A theological college of the Church of England at Mirfield. Established in 1903

Commercial College, Ripponden
See Making Place Academy

Common Board School, Brighouse
A board school recorded in 1905.

See Miss Annie Crowther

Continuation school
Factory schools were established for young factory workers to learn to basic skills of reading, writing and arithmetic.

From the 19th century, teenage factory workers were sent to Continuation Schools for further education. These schools were set up by a large factory or a group of smaller factories. Typically, the workers attended one day a week for about 4 years. The system continued into the 1940s and beyond for apprentices whose basic education was inadequate would attend one day a week.

Some local schools were Bowling Green Evening Continuation School, Stainland, Priestwell Evening Continuation School, Stansfield, Robin Wood Evening Continuation School, Todmorden, Sowerby Bridge Evening Continuation Schools and Vale Evening Continuation School, Todmorden

Copley Council School
On 19th August 1901, Halifax School Board invited tenders of £7,683 11s for a new school at Copley.

The board school – designed by H. W. Booth – opened on 11th April 1904, and replaced the Copley Factory School built by Edward Akroyd.

This was the last school built for the Halifax School Board. The cost of the building was £8,500. It accommodated 214 boys & girls and 88 infants and 50 babies.

It accommodated 382 pupils [1911].

It accommodated 136 mixed & infants [1936].

The building was used by the Methodists for Sunday and weekday evening services.

See Copley Parish Church

Copley Evening School
Recorded in 1905

Copley Factory School
A factory school built by the Akroyd family to provide tuition for the young workers from 1844 when the mill opened.

The school opened in 1849 as a part of Copley model village.

Edward Akroyd appointed Rev Thomas Markey as Curate for the Copley Schools [1849-1851].

He was succeeded by Rev James Hope

In 1853, G. H. Gibson was in charge of the school.

In 1862, Rev J. G. Sedgwick was in charge of the school. There were 233 pupils [including 212 half-timers] at the boys' school, and 238 pupils [all half-timers] at the girls' school.

In 1899, the school was taken over by Halifax School Board and became a Board School. When the school proved to be too expensive to maintain, a new school was built and opened in 1904. The factory school was demolished in the 1970s

Copley National School
A national school recorded around 1861, when church services were held here prior to the construction of St Stephen's Church, Copley

Copley Primary School
See Copley Council School and Oliver Smithies

Copper Street Ladies' School, Halifax
Recorded in 1822 at Copper Street

Cornholme Board School
Aka Vale Board School.

A board school recorded in 1889. It accommodated 453 children [1917]

Cornholme British School
John Newton Crowther attended

Cornholme Council School
Recorded in 1905

Cornholme Junior, Infant & Nursery School
Todmorden. Built 1899.

It superseded the school at Mount Zion Methodist Church, Cornholme

Cornholme New School
Plans were recorded in 1898 and 1911

Corrie's: Miss Corrie's School, Hebden Bridge
Private school established by Elizabeth Mary Corrie at 8 Croft Terrace, Hebden Bridge. It closed in 1955, when Miss Corrie retired

Cottonstones National School
A national school

Cowsill's School for Young Ladies, Todmorden
A boarding school established at The Royd, Todmorden in 1856 by Miss Cowsill.

See William Cowsill

Crabtree's: Ann Crabtree's School
Aka Aufhole School.

A private school run by Ann Crabtree at her home in Foxen Lane Head, Mill Bank around 1850.

The scholars included children from Lumb Mill and Kebroyd Mills.

It was superseded by St Mary's National School

Crabtree's School, Hebden Bridge
Around 1874, the Misses Crabtree ran a school at Hebden Bridge.

Miss Elizabeth Crabtree had a school at Hebden Villas, Hangingroyd Lane, Hebden Bridge [1905]

Crabtree's School, Todmorden
A mixed private school established by Miss Elizabeth Crabtree. Recorded in 1905

Cragg Vale Council School
Blackstone Edge Road. Recorded in 1905

Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School
Built in 1887 by the Todmorden & Hebden Bridge School Board to replace a temporary school at St John's National School.

In March 2017, the governing bodies of Cragg Vale Junior & Infant School and Calder High School agreed to amalgamate.

The School closed in July 2017, and relocated to new premises on the site of Calder High School

Cragg Vale National School

Crimsworth Board School
Pecket Well. On 10th March 1879, John Edward Greenwood of Wadsworth sold the land for the board school to the United District School Board of Todmorden.

On 12th May 1879, a school was started in the Sunday School of Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. There were 80 scholars. By the end of the year, this number had risen to 104.

The new school opened on 22nd March 1880. Adam Gillibrand taught here.

The school was called Crimsworth Board School between 1879 and 1904, and Crimsworth Council School between 1904 and 1948. It closed in May 1948.

It was demolished in the 1970s.

In the early 1980s, two bungalows were built using the stone of the demolished school. The school house remains as a private dwelling

Crimsworth Council School
In 1904, Crimsworth Board School became Crimsworth Council School

Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School
Stands opposite Crimsworth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Dated 1868.

It has been converted into flats

The Croft School, Sowerby Bridge
The first purpose-built school in Sowerby Bridge was founded around 1828 in a property at a place called Croft. It superseded the earlier Beech School.

It was used as a Sunday School and as a day school. There were 2 rooms, one for boys and one for girls.

By 1833, it had become too small and larger premises were required. Sowerby Bridge National School was built and the children moved to the new building at the bottom of Tuel Lane in 1837

Cromwell Bottom School
Built in March 1878 on land bought from the Calder & Hebble Navigation Company.

See Southowram National School

Cross Hill School, Halifax
Built in 1844

Cross Hills Girls' School, Halifax
Recorded in 1864

Cross Lane Primary & Nursery School

Cross Lanes United Methodist School, Hebden Bridge
The day school at Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge

Cross Stone Day School
Around 1713, Mr Pilling built a schoolhouse near St Paul's Church, Cross Stone.

The building served as the jail – the stocks are still there – and the top room was Cross Stone School and the schoolmaster's house.

A plaque inscribed:

Train up a child in the way he should go
And when he is old he will not depart from it

Prov XX11 6

was carved by Thomas Ashworth in 1805.

William Dewhirst was master here [1842].

The school closed in 1846 when it was superseded by the National School.

The building is now known as School House

Cross Stone National School
A national school established in 1847.

James Bracewell was headmaster [1864-1899]

Cross Stone Sunday School, Stansfield
The former Sunday school to Cross Stone Church dated 1805, now a private house. A tablet by the door reads:
Train up a Child in the way he should go and, when he is old, he will not depart from it. Prov: XXII.6 1805 Thos. Ashworth Sculp.

Crossley & Porter School, Halifax
Skircoat Moor Road.

This was originally the Crossley Orphanage.

In 1887, Thomas Porter made a donation on condition that his name be included in the name of the institution, and a Royal Charter of 31st January 1887 renamed the institution The Crossley and Porter Orphan Home and School.

In 1985, Crossley and Porter School amalgamated with Heath Grammar School to become The Crossley Heath School.

See Crossley & Porter School Memorials, Crossley-Heath School and Old Crossleians RUFC

Mrs Crossley's Boarding School
In the late 18th century, Elizabeth, the wife of Thomas Crossley, kept a boarding school for young ladies in Halifax.

Her grandson John Crossley wrote that

[This was] one of the best boarding schools for young ladies in the neighbourhood of Halifax

Crossley-Heath School
In 1985, Crossley & Porter School and Heath Grammar School merged to form Crossley-Heath School.

In November 2002, the school came fifth in the Sunday Times Parent Power table of northern state schools.

In January 2005, it was named as the best state-funded school in Yorkshire, with 99 per cent of pupils getting 5 or more top-grade GCSE passes.

See Crossley-Heath School and North Halifax Grammar School

Crowther's: Jane Crowther's School
In 1861, Mrs Jane Crowther ran a ladies' boarding school at Wadsworth

Crowther's: John Crowther's School
Around 1861, John Crowther ran a private boys' day school at Stone Chair, Shelf.

His pupils included Ezra Pinder

Cullingworth's School, Greetland
William Cullingworth had a school in Greetland [1834, 1842]

Cusworth's School, Halifax
In 1865, Mary Ann Cusworth ran a ladies' school at St John's House, Halifax.

It was the successor to Walton's School


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 19:07 on 21st December 2017 / s70_c / 60