This village is located in the town of that name, in the northeastern part of the county, on the line of the
Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Road. In the Fall of 1855 William V. McMullen, Sr. settled upon the present
site of the village, and his sons cleared away the thick timber. Chris Horn was the first German who settled in the
town, coming in 1856, and in 1862 was elected Town Treasurer. In 1872 Messrs. Beach & Bishop built a saw-mill.
It burned in 1874, but was rebuilt in a month. Besides being somewhat of a business point, Brillion has a thriving
lodge of Odd Fellows (No. 270).
Forest Junction and Spring Creek are the only other settlements in the town of Brillion, the first building
erected in the latter place being the saw-mill built by H. B. Nugent. Forest Junction is at the crossing of the
LakeShore and Wisconsin Central railroads, and originated at the time these lines were built. Spring Creek has
a population of 200 people, and contains two small saw-mills, a stave factory, a shingle mill, a planing mill, and
Return to Calumet Page
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved