The village of Brothertown, like Stockbridge, is the center of a fine farming country, and does a good general
business. The people of these two plases were the earnest pioneers of Calumet, and as long as the county
depended upon water communication were the leaders in its business. Other villages, however, which
acquired railroad facilities, have passed them.
The Holland Settlement was commenced by Father Godhard in 1848. He arrived in that year with twelve
families, and an industrious little village soon extended over into what is now the town of Woodville, Calumet
County. W. Kempen was the first settler. Elias Beach arrived during the first year and opened a hotel on the
military road. As there was much travel over that thoroughfare, but two houses between Stockbridge and his
tavern, and only one between his place and Wrightstown, Brown County, Mr. Beach was well patronized. In 1852-
54 the Irish commenced to arrive, and in 1855 the Kersten Brothers located near the settlement. When the Town
of Woodville was organized in 1852, George M. Beach was elected Chairman. Among others who greatly aided
in increasing the prosperity of the Holland settlement were Nicholaus Frank and Louis Mangold.
Return to Calumet Page
Copyright 1997 - 2005 by Debie Blindauer
All Rights Reserved