The Lobster Smack Inn

 

The Lobster Smack is the oldest public House on the Island. It has been known as the Sluice House and The World’s End. The building is believed to date from the 17th century. It was mentioned in Charles Dickens Great Expectations. The Annual fair was held there in the 1700’s. Regular bare-knuckle prize fights were staged outside the inn in the 1800’s.


Year

Publican

Occupation

Source

1828

Susannah Richmond

Inn Keeper

Alehouse Recognizances

1839

William Finch

 

Pigots

1841

Crisp Harridge

Publican

Census

1845

Crisp Molyneaux Harridge

 

Post Office

1848

Crisp Molyneaux Harridge

Victualler

Whites

1851

Crisp Molyneaux Harridge

 

Post Office

1851

Crisp M Harridge

Victualler

Census

1861

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1867

Charles Beckwith

 

Post Office

1870

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1871

Charles Beckwith

 

Post Office

1871

Charles Beckwith

Licensed Victualler

Census

1874+78

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1881

Charles Beckwith

Licensed Victualler

Census

1882+86+90

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1891

Charles Beckwith

Licensed Victualler

Census

1894+95+98+99

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1901

Charles Beckwith

Publican

Census

1902+6+8+10+12+14

Charles Beckwith

 

Kellys

1917+22+25+29+33

James Went

 

Kellys

1937

Percy John Went

 

Kellys

 

Below are a selection of pictures from different eras.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Canvey Island Essex

Rounded Rectangle:

The Lobster Smack Inn