Our grandmother and great grandmother Meta kept a scrapbook that she would fill with newspaper articles that she clipped out of the newspaper and other memorabilia of family members and friends.  That was a great source of what is contained here along with articles we found researching old newspapers and information received from other sources.



Two brothers in the navy. Earle C. Hazelton, assigned to the Marines at Camp Matthews, San Diego, and Arthur grant Hazelton, assigned to an amphibious unit in the South Pacific, were recently promoted.  Sons of Mrs. Meta L. Hazelton, 1315 East Fillmore Street, and the late C. E. Hazelton.

Arthur, husband of Marie Fisher Hazelton, 1423 East Pierce Street, was promoted to boatswain's mate, second class.  Earle was promoted to pharmacist's mate, second class.


"While on a reconnaissance expedition you volunteered as a member of a boat detail to land troops at a point in enemy possession which had repulsed with heavy fire a previous attempt to put men ashore.  You later coolly returned enemy fire in the face of bombing and strafing attack.  Your seamanship enabled you to return a landing craft through a treacherous channel and heavy seas to a skillful stop alongside your ship.  Your performance of duty was a credit to the U. S. Navy".


This was a newspaper article about our grandmother and great grandmother Meta Louise Bolzau Hazelton with her childhood school mates visiting the teacher from grade school.  This was sometime in the 1950's.


School was out for the summer Friday, but the bell rang again for three former Murphy School pupils for the first time in 57 years.  Mrs. Hosea Greenshaw rang the hand bell in her home at 1812 S. Seventh St., then served ice cream and cake to her three pupils of more than a half-century ago.

They are Mrs. Meta Hazelton, Mrs. Rose Mosier, and Mrs. C. E. Mincks, who paid a surprise visit to their former teacher and spent several hours with her.


Wedding Announcement in the Newspaper.


Monday evening, January 12, 1931 at 6:45 p.m. a quiet wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. Scull at the home of the bride, Miss Grace Hazelton, when she and Bro. Frank Olin, Secretary of the 11th Street and Garfield C. A.'s were united in marriage.  This came as a surprise to their many friends, but congratulations are in order and we do wish them much happiness, and may the Lord bless them is our prayer.



Miss Marie Corine Fisher, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William M. Fisher, and Arthur Grant Hazelton were married Saturday evening in the home of the bride's parents.

The Rev. N. D. Davidson of the First Church of the Assembly of God performed the ceremony in the presence of about forty friends and relatives.  The bride attended by her sister, Miss Nadine Fisher, wore a blue suite, black accessories, and carried a bouquet of pink rosebuds.  The maid of honor wore a brown frock and a corsage of yellow rosebuds.  Earl Hazelton was best man.  An informal reception followed.

The couple has established a home at 823 North Third Avenue.   The bride, a native of Glendale, is a student at Phoenix Union High School.  The bridegroom, son of Meta Hazelton, attended Phoenix Union High School and is now working for a local concern.


Newspaper Articles about our grand aunt and great aunt Ida Hazelton Burch's son William Hazelton Burch killed in line of duty as Phoenix Police officer


We have before had occasion, and now we embrace a painful one, to speak again of the late Haze Burch, who gave his life in a perilous service for the city.

He was once a constable in a Phoenix precinct.  Constables are among those officials whom the statutes describe as peace officers, because they are expected to guard the peace and to compel the keeping of it.  Mr. Burch was more than a peace officer in that definition.  He not only guarded the peace, but by friendly admonition induced others to keep it, and in doing so he sometimes exercised the functions of the court to the disturbance of a class of lawyers to whom a five-dollar or ten-dollar fee arising from a quarrel among neighbors was welcome.

Often when spiteful complaints were filed in the court to which Mr. Burch was attached, before formally serving the papers he informally called upon complainant and defendant and talked the trouble over with them, with the result that the complaint was withdrawn and there was a lasting peace instead of the rankling animosity that would have prevailed in the neighborhood.

Very frequently he induced parties in trifling civil suits to accept his services as arbitrator and he pointed out how in those cases nobody could win in court.  The winner would be a loser.  Case after case was so disposed of in the court in which he was attached.

His hours as a peace officer were long, frequently extending far into the night and sometimes filling the whole night.  He always acted in cooperation with the police and the sheriff's forces, and, though independent of both, he was ready for any call from either that might be made upon him.

There was never a more fearless officer; his lack of fear was fatal; so sure was he of himself and so majestic seemed to him the law which he represented, that he weighed too lightly the desperation of the criminals he last encountered.

He became at once a most active, earnest and successful enforcer of the prohibition law when the state went dry in 1915 and later when the nation went dry, in whatever official capacity he might be, he gave valuable aid to the national prohibition enforcement officers.


This is an article printed about William Haze Burch's widow Dora Christina Murr.


Policeman's Widow Started Phoenix Institution
29 June 1975
by Carol Sowers

Fifty years ago when policeman Haze Burch was killed in the line of duty, such intense indignation swept through Phoenix that lynch mobs formed to catch the slayer and a citywide fund-raising drive was organized to help his widow and three small children.

According to descriptive newspaper accounts in the then Arizona Republican, Burch was shot through the hand and abdomen by Oklahoma "cop killer" Will Lawrence while he and his younger brother, Babe, were stealing gasoline on the corner of Seventh Street and Jefferson.

As the city's anger mellowed into concern for the dead policeman's wife, Dora and three children, Frank Haze 5; Lewis 3; and Joy, three months, a fund drive raised $2,500 for the stricken family.  The drive was organized by Mrs. Dwight B. Heard, wife of the Republican's publisher, who opened contributions with $100.

Mrs. Burch, a registered nurse who'd abandoned her career to become a wife and mother, gratefully accepted the money given in her husband's memory, and within seven months turned it into the beginnings of what is today the Nurse's Central Registry, 2536 E. Indian School.

Summoning the same kind of courage it took for her to ride horseback to visit tubercular patients as far away as Cave Creek, Mrs. Burch was determined to make a living for her three children without leaving them.

In a thank you speech reported in the Feb. 17, 1925 issue of the Republican, Mrs. Burch said, "I am capable of providing a living for myself and my children but cannot think of leaving them at this early age if I can possibly avoid it.  I am going to arrange our home into apartments and rent them.  In this way I hope to provide for myself and children and if I can keep this fund intact it will be used for their education.

Mrs. Burch changed her plans only slightly.  Instead of transforming her home into a rooming house, she had a building constructed on the corner of Sixth Street and Adams (near Phoenix Civic Plaza) and opened it to single nurses.  The Phoenix Nurses Club was born.

"In those days there wasn't any place for single nurses to live.  And because Mother was always being asked to do private duty nursing she organized the Club so she'd have access to the nurses." said Mrs. Joy Mitchell, Mrs. Burch's daughter.

Mrs. Mitchell became director of the now expanded Nurse's Central Registry after her mother's death eight years ago.  As the original building grew, so did the town's enthusiasm for the project.   Detailed newspaper accounts reported on the building's progress and carefully described the living quarters of the 32 nurses living there.

"Each individual sleeping room has its own color arrangement, no two rooms being alike.  For this reason all bed chamber furniture formed special jobs and had to be ordered especially to meet the requirements of the treatment," a Republican reporter observed.

The club, heralded by congratulatory ads in the newspaper; opened Sept. 15.  The registry was named Central "because that was a popular name in Mother's day," Mrs. Mitchell said.  Today the club is closed. Single nurses no longer have to have special living quarters.  But the registry, now also in Sun city, is offering the contract services of 800 registered and practical nurses and other health aides with various skills.  The registry also offers training workshops in coronary, pharmacology and intravenous therapy.

Mrs. Burch's Registry is the state's oldest, Mrs. Mitchell said. "Today there are 11 other businesses offering the same service. They include Best Nursing Service,...

The 50th anniversary of Mrs. Burch's service will be celebrated privately in September. Mrs. Mitchell said.  The fete will be backdropped by a montage of nurses created by California artist Richard Thomas.

Standing in the middle of her Phoenix office, where two secretaries took constant requests for nursing services, Mrs. Mitchell sighed, "Mother would never have believed this."


BACKBONE, Page 16, June 21, 1996

Fred Croxen

One thing that was of assistance to new settlers coming into the Tonto Basin country was the roads that were built by the army under the regime of General Stoneman.

It was he who first built the road from Camp McDowell on the Verde River to Fort Reno in Tonto Basin, and Fort Reno up through the Basin and connected with the military road he built from Camp Verde to Fort Apache.

Both of these roads were used by the incoming settlers.  Stoneman Lake on the Coconino Forest is named after General Stoneman.  Stockmen soon came in after the Apaches were somewhat overcome by the soldiers, having heard such glowing accounts on the Tonto Basin from these soldiers, scouts prospectors and packers.   To show just how rapidly it was settled.

I shall name some of the outfits, the dates they came in and the herds they had or acquired and how they increased or decreased as fortune favored them in their efforts.

The early flux was from California and Oregon, while some came from the Mormon settlements in Utah.  Later settlers came from Texas and New Mexico.

According to Florence Packard, the first cattle to be brought to Tonto Creek were by John Meadows in 1876.  There were fifty head of these, mixed with Red Durham cows and they were brought from California.

Christopher Cline and his five sons drove a heard in the same year and settled on lower Tonto.  There were four hundred head in this herd, so far as I can learn.  These men later married two of the Hazelton sisters, relatives of the Hazelton family now living in the Buckeye country on the Gila.

William Burch was the father of Haze Burch, the Phoenix policeman killed by two outlaws while trying to arrest them in February, 1925. They also had the first sawmill in Payson in 1881.  The herd of Burch and McDonald had increased to about 100 head.  Houston Brothers were located in Starr Valley, six miles northeast of the present town of Payson, at the time he came in.  They had 300 head of cattle and had driven them from Tulare County, California.  They branded the U Bar, which is still in existence and is run by the Clear Creek Cattle Co. above Rim.

Andres N. Houston, now a resident of Tempe, Arizona informed me that he and his brother, Samuel, first came to Arizona from California that year, but 1877 was so dry he could not trail cattle though and had to wait until 1878 for their return with cattle.  They settled in Starr Valley, about six miles east and north of the present town of Payson, on what is now known as the Nellie M. Beard Ranch, and built the house and barn now on this ranch.  They called it Starr Valley, after a man named Starr who lived at the same ranch in 1877.  Starr died there and is buried just southeast of the barn on the ridge.  When they fenced the barn, they built the fence so his grave would be on the "cienga" side of the fence and would not be trampled by stock.


Newspaper Clipping


Legendenary Figure, Now Governor, Began Career When He Was Booted Off Freight Train.

Helena Mont., Dec. 6 (U.P.)--

Some 38 years ago an irate brakeman booted a young Swedish immigrant off a freight train at the little town of Columbus, Montana.

The brakie went on about his work.  Young J. Hugo Aronson took a look at his new surroundings, found a job digging potatoes, and decided he liked Montana.  Recently Montana showed it liked Aronson.  Now Governor Voters named the now 60 year old Galloping Swede Governor of Montana in the Nov. 4 elections, after one of the most intensive campaigns in State history.  Aronson beat John W. Bonner, Democrat, for the job.

Fact and perhaps some fiction make up the Aronson story.   Sometimes, it's not easy to say which is which.  For the tall, energetic Aronson has become almost a legendary figure in Montana.

The Galloping Swede, whose nickname may have come from his oil field days, has homesteaded, farmed, drilled for oil, run trucking lines and served in the State Legislature.  Stories about him are legion.


There's the one about the time he was working in the oil fields, carrying timbers.  The boss spotted him as he ran with a 20-foot 8x12 on his shoulder.  "Take five, Aronson," the boss said, apparently afraid the young husky would kill himself.   "Take five, hell!" Aronson replied.  "I can hardly carry one!"

Aronson isn't averse to helping the legend along.  He early found out that while prospective business clients might not know who J. Hugo Aronson was, they had all heard of the Galloping Swede.  The name has become a sort of trade mark.  Of his arrival in Montana, he likes to say:   "Columbus may have discovered America, but I discovered Columbus."

Always Successful Aronson has worked at enough occupations to keep four average men busy, and he has been successful in all of them.   His oil field days are behind him now, but he keeps his hand in with a 4000-acre wheat farm, and by working as a bank president.

Last year, when rains halted most harvesting operations in Glacier County, Aronson brought in one of the first grain dryers seen thereabouts and saved most of his crop.

After a term as Alderman in his home town of Cut Bank, Aronson went to the State Legislature for 14 years.  This year he ran for the Governor's job on the Republican ticket, winning the post in his first crack at the top State office.

Montana politicians, regardless of party, can be sure of one thing.  The State will have an interesting four years, with big Swede in the Governor's chair.

(NOTE by Clarence):

This is an article about J. Hugo Aaronson who became the governor of Montana.   He was married to Rose Myrlte Mc Clure and they had one daughter Reka Berthevan Aaronson.   Rose Myrtle is related to the Harer Family, her grandmother Sarah Harer was my great grandmother Obedience Harer Hazelton's sister.  Rose and her husband Hugo and their daughter visited my grandmother Meta Hazelton her home in the 1950's.   He commented that when he first came to the United States the only words in English that he knew was apple pie and he got so tired of apple pie that he couldnt' eat it any longer.



Tuesday, July 31, 1888

Yesterday F. A. Gatke, son of F. W. Gatke took his departure for Elgin, Ill. where he will take a position in the machine department of the Elgin watch factory.  Mr. Gatke has been unfortunate here, having lost his estimable wife a few weeks ago, and last week he was further bereaved by the death of his eight year old daughter.



Phoenix, Arizona,
Tuesday, November 22, 1887

Mr. William Gatke was buried yesterday afternoon from the Lemon Hotel.

(note: William Gatke was the youngest son of Frederick William & Dorthea Gatke.)



Summoned from L.A. by the news of her son, Lloyds death, Mrs. William Warnke arrived from the coast yesterday morning accompanied by her daughter Maud.

The death of her fifteen year old son who was accidentally shot and killed last Sunday by a bullet from a twenty-two caliber rifle in the hands of his friend and play-mate Zearl Franklin has almost prostrated Mrs. Warnke.

When the news of his death was brought to her she was in L.A. where she had spent four weeks and she immediately planned to come to the valley.

Although realizing that haste on her part could do no good as the telegram stated that her son had been killed outright.

The funeral will be held this morning at 9:30 o'clock from the funeral parlors of Moore and McClellan.

(note: This is the only thing we could find on the death of Fred William & Lowry Elden Warnke's son Lloyd Warnke)


Newspaper Article
November 15,1954
Contributiion of Ellsaesser Family to Community Reviewed at Farewell for
Mrs. C. W. Ellsaesser

Mrs. Charles W. Ellsaesser was honored at a farewell reception in the fellowship rooms of the Firt Christian church following the evening services last night.

Surrounded by sity-five members of the church and friends of many years standing, Mrs. Ellsaesser received tribute for contributions the family has made to the local church and to the community.  The family and the four children, Fern now Mrs. J. J. Williams, Oklahoma City; Nadine now Mrs. Estal Geymann, Pomona, Calif.; Charles, now of Wichita have made a host of friends here, and the influences of each were reviewed by J. R. VanBuskirk, Mrs. P. O. Rindom and Miss Gertrude Mahan.

The honored member wore a beautiful orchid corsage from her granddaughter, Mrs. W. T. Waggoner of Oklahoma City, and spoke briefly following the presentation of a gift from the group by Miss Mahan.  Mrs. Rindom told of the work done by the family in the local church.  Mr. VanBuskirk sketched the active, vigorous personalties of the late Mr. Ellsaesser and of Mrs. Ellsaesser, and told of school day experiences with the children.  Miss Mahan, teacher of the Loyal Women's Sunday school class of which Mrs. Ellsaesser is a member, spoke concerning the biding love and the host of friends the honoree is leaving here.

Sharing the rich fellowship and many well wishes of the assembled group was Mrs. Estal Geymann, formerly Nadine Ellsaesser, and Mr. Geymann who are taking Mrs. Ellsaesser with them to Pomona,California where they reside and where she will make her home.  Mr. Geymann formerly was employed by Blakemore Brothers in the advertising department.

In charge of the farewell was a committee charmanned by Mrs. F. O. Rindom assisted by Mrs. Vern Crowder, Miss Gladys Lear and Mrs. John Fields.  Refreshments of cake and coffee were served from a table centered with a cornucopia filled with autumn fruits.

A short program consisted of group singing of In My Heart There Rings A Melody accompanied at the piano by Mrs.Crowder, and led by Miss Manan, Richard Hickey and Mrs. Gemann; a vocal duet by Joyce and Janis Edwards, accompanied by Gearoln Diehl at the piano; and group singing of the farewell, "Bless Be The Tie That Binds."

The benediction was given by Rev.Willard M. Roberts.


Newspaper Article
Friday, February 20, 1948

Mr. and Mrs. George E. Harer, 2501 North Oxford Street, at 8 o'clock tonight will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with an open house reception in the Free Methodist Church.   Both are Arizona pioneers.

Mrs. Harer was born in 1878 in Garden Grove, California and arrived in Globe by wagon train with her family in 1881.  Mr. Harer settled in the Tonto Basin in 1880.  The couple pioneered farming in Buckeye Valley, remained there for 45 years and retired four years ago.

They have five sons and two daughters; Herman, Alameda, Calif.; Theodore, Geneva, N. Y.; John, Durango, Colo.; George, Buckeye; Vance, San Jose, Calif.; Mrs. Ethel Mae Rittter, Durango, Colo., and Mrs. Marilyn Faver, Buckeye.


Leona Judy
Irwin Dean
invite you to share
a day of happiness
as they begin a life of love
and request the pleasure of your company
on Friday the first of April
nineteen hundred and seventy-seven
at eight o'clock
United Methodist Church
Richfield, Idaho


Art Work ©Penny Parker
All rights reserved to the artist

"Precious Memories"
Performed By
Margi Harrell
Used With Her Permission
Visit Her Web Site At:
Llerrah Music

Return To Main Page

Clarence A. Olin
Lois Olin Nader