Benjamin Congdon Obit
Two News Clippings Re Ben Congdon's Death
From Phebe CAMPBELL Hoyt's Scrapbook,

1. Undated, Unidentified
Transcribed by her great-grandson, Wm. Thompson, Apr. 9, 2012

    The remains of Benjamin Congdon were brought here Saturday night. Mr. Congdon died last Monday in St. Paul, Minn. where he had been visiting his son, Prof. C. H. Congdon, and was intending to go on to Tacoma, Wash. to visit another son, when he was taken suddenly ill and lived only two weeks. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Sunday morning. The three children of the deceased were present---Mrs. J. L. Buck, of Sugar Hill, N. Y., E. T. Congdon, of Tacoma, Wash., C. H. Congdon of St. Paul, Minn. The church was filled with sympathizing relatives and friends. Rev. Mr. Armstrong preached an able sermon and gave a sketch of Mr. Congdon's life, which [rest of article missing]

* * * * *
2. Wellsboro Agitator, Oct. 13, 1897, p2
Transcribed by her great-grandson, Wm. Thompson, Apr. 8, 2012


    NELSON, Oct. 9.---Benjamin D. Congdon was born on Shelter Island, off the coast of Long Island, N. Y., May 18, 1820, and moved with his patents to the Cowanesque valley, settling near Osceola, in 1832. He was married January 19th, 1848, to Miss Sarah Campbell. His wife died Feb. 3d, 1892. He died September 27th, 1897, aged 77 years, 4 months, and 14 days. He is survived by one daughter and two sons---Mrs. J. L. Buck, of Sugar Hill, N. Y., Mr. E.T. Congdon, of Tacoma, Wash., and C. H. Congdon, of St. Paul, Minn.
    He resided in Nelson for sixty years, until the death of his wife, after which he made his home with his daughter, Mrs. Buck. He visited his friends and relatives in Nelson last June, and then he started on a journey to the Pacific coast. He arrived in St. Paul on June 18th and was taken sick at the home of his son, C. H. Congdon, Sept 12th. He was removed at once to St. Luke's Hospital, where an operation was performed for a strangulated hernia. The operation was successful; but fifteen days later he suddenly and unexpectedly died from heart failure. Mrs. Buck went to St. Paul and was with her father for a week before he died. C. [sic] T. Congdon came from Tacoma, and the three children accompanied the remains to Nelson.
    Mr. Congdon united with the Presbyterian Church in Nelson, February 1st 1845 and lived the consistent and every day life of a Christian for nearly fifty three years.
    On Sunday morning, October 3rd his three children and a large congregation of relatives and friends followed his remains to the grave and tenderly and lovingly by the side of his wife, father and mother. Rev. Hallock Armstrong spoke words of comfort from the text "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard nor have entered into the heart of man the things that God hath prepared for him that love Him."

Copyright 2012 by Wm. Thompson. Commercial use prohibited.

Return to Home      Documents T.O.C.      Phebe's Scrapbook T.O.C.