In the mid to late 1860s, William J. Teed was a publisher of the Missouri Weekly Patriot in Springfield, Missouri. He had lived in Newton County before the Civil War and took a lively interest in it affairs, publishing letters and other items about the county as it recovered from the conflict. Here are summaries and excerpts from several of the Patriot articles. Original material is in quotation marks; otherwise it is my summary. All of the letters were signed with uninformative pseudonyms like E Pluribus Unum and Squills.
13 July 1865, Missouri Patriot. July 10 letter from Granby. Nearly all of the town's buildings and furnaces are a total wreck from the war , the whole town overgrown with brush. However, Messrs. Bruce and Matthews, agents of P. E. Blow & Co., are in town rebuilding a smelting furnace, and mining is showing early signs of a revival. Commerce is resuming as well. Mr. Hargrove and John L. Brodie have dry goods stores; Jim Short and A. H. Bryson have groceries; and Thompson & Elliott have a bakery. The first stage coach since the war arrived last week, restoring mail service.
10 August 1865, Missouri Patriot. August 6 letter from Granby. Recovery from the war is going well, with both population and the number of businesses growing rapidly. A smelter is expected to be in operation in a week or 10 days. Notices have been posted telling miners that they must begin to work their claims by October 1 or forfeit them. B. K. Hersey & Co. is expected to return soon and rebuild its large wholesale store house.
The County Court will convene at Neosho Monday, August 7, for the first time since the war. "....All is quiet in this part of the country. There has been no disturbance here since last winter. There are a great many whipped rebels returning to this county, and with a few exceptions, they are behaving themselves very well, seemingly being satisfied with the result of the war...."
"... Company H, 2d Ohio Cavalry, Capt. Smith, commanding, is stationed here. It has the praise of being the most friendly, orderly and sober company ever at this post. The company expects soon to be ordered away from here, when the country will be entirely clear of soldiers, a time we all want to see, as we have no use for them now, but wish to see our old citizens, with as many new ones as wish to locate with us....
23 November 1865, Missouri Patriot. November 23 letter from Granby. Several experienced miners have returned to Granby, including Capt. Pound, W. W. Frazier, B. K. Hersey, Jo. Hopkins and Sam Brown. Charley Clark and Bob Hughes formerly of Springfield have laid in a large stock of stoves and tinware.
21 December 1865, Missouri Patriot. December 18 letter from Neosho. In Granby, the Philadelphia Mining Company is sinking three shafts on its land near town. Dr. Woolsey from north Missouri has opened a drug store. A school, Sunday school and religious services are being conducted in the Masonic hall.
15 March 1866, Missouri Patriot. March 14 letter from Springfield, reporting on a trip to Mount Vernon and Granby with respect to the Odd Fellows fraternity. Inaugurated the Lodge at Granby. Mentions P. R. Davis, A. H. Bryson, W. H. Posey, James Sawyer and Jasper Moon as members. Miners mentioned are P. E. Blow & Co., Judge Hersey, Mr. Fitzgerald and Moon & Jarrett. Businesses and businessmen mentioned are W. H. Morris, Beeman, F. K. Sweet & Co., A. Martin, Dr. Woolsey, Mr. Hargrove, Mathias Smith, Clark & Hughes, John L. Brodie, Sholten, Roundtree & Co. (saddlery & harness), Mr. McLeverty (dry goods), A. H. Bryson, Mr. Wack and Randolph & Kelly (builders).
5 April 1866, Missouri Patriot. The editor describes a trip to Newton County. With respect to Granby, he mentions miners Peter Blow, B. K. Hersey, Jo. Hopkins, Moon & Jarrett, J. A. Day and Mr. Bates, son of Edward Bates [Lincoln's Attorney General]. The town has 10 or 12 stores and saloons. Mr. Blow is planning the largest store house west of St. Louis, which will engage in both retail trade and jobbing. Also mentioned are Sweet & Fitzgerald, druggists, and Sweet & Day, who apparently run a saloon.
16 August 1866, Missouri Patriot. Peter E. Blow died July 21, 1866. [Beginning in the mid-1850s, the Blow family of St. Louis were major investors in Granby mining. Eventually their interests took the form of the Granby Mining and Smelting Company. Peter managed the family's mining interests, while his brother Henry was a congressman, U. S. ambassador, etc. After Peter died, Henry became more involved with the family business, but B. K. Hersey, Peter's long-time assistant, took over day-to-day management of the family's interests in Granby.]
23 August 1866, Missouri Patriot. Reprint of an item from the Neosho Tribune. Judge Hersey's new store in Granby [i.e. the Granby Mining and Smelting Company's new store] is nearly complete. "The front, doors, sash and cornice were all made in St. Louis, and excel any thing we have seen since we left the railroad for beauty." Wack & Fisher and A. Martin are building hotels there, and Thompson & Elliott have put up a new store in front of their old bakery. Also mentions Graves, Keets & Co. and Sweet & Co. Judge Hersey has four "eyes" running continually at the smelter and expect to open two more within two weeks. Two churches are to be built in Granby, one Presbyterian and one Methodist. A subscription of $1500 has been taken for the former and the foundation laid.
20 September 1866, Missouri Patriot. Reprint of an item from the Neosho Tribune. Horton, Moon & Co. at Granby took 96,000 pounds of lead from its shaft in a two week period ending the 7th. J. West Goodwin, late editor of the Press, anticipates starting a paper at Granby.
18 October 1866, Missouri Weekly Patriot. Reprint of an item from the Neosho Tribune. The Granby Mining and Smelting Company's storehouse is nearing completion and will be run by M. Woolsey. The Company's four eyes are running constantly and turn out 110 pigs, or 8800 pounds, of lead daily. Within two months, the Company will have eight eyes running, "being the largest smelting furnace in the world, under one roof." A steam pump to drain water from the mines will soon be in operation, greatly facilitating mining. The Methodist Episcopal church is also nearing completion. The Blow House is now open to the public [a restaurant? boarding house? hotel?].
13 November 1866, Missouri Daily Patriot. Reprint of an item from the Neosho Tribune. On November 4, George Moreland of Granby killed Thomas McConnell by beating him on the head with false knuckles. Moreland escaped. There is a $150 reward for his apprehension.
21 March 1867, Missouri Weekly Patriot. Reprint of an item from the Neosho Tribune. Fall, Hudson & Co. is now operating the pump to drain the Granby mines. In 2 hours, it can remove all of the water which enters the mines in 24 hours.
3 December 1868, Missouri Weekly Patriot, Springfield. The Neosho Gazette has been purchased by W. H. H. Judson of Granby and will move to that city to be published under the name Southwest Independent.
18 November 1869, Missouri Weekly Patriot, Springfield. The Granby Independent and Neosho Tribune have been purchased by Phelps & Dille and will be merged. The two papers "represented opposing wings of the Radicals of Newton county, and this consolidation is made with a view to healing divisions and producing harmony in the party..."
Home: Historical Items from Barry & Newton Counties, Missouri
© 2002 Robert O. Banks, Jr. All Rights Reserved