EAST PENN TOWNSHIP.
PAGES 717 TO 723
The territory comprising all that part of Carbon lying west of the Lehigh River, and a portion of Schuylkill County, was, in 1768, set off from Towamensing District. On the 22d of June in that year a petition was presented to the court of Northampton County asking that Towamensing township be divided. The following is on record concerning it:
"Upon petition of divers inhabitants of Towamensing township setting forth that the Petitioners labour under the greatest inconveniences by reason of the too large extent of the said township, it being no less than thirty-six miles long, which makes it extremely expensive as well as inconvenient especially to the public officers, such as ... and praying the court that the said township may be divided where the river Lehi cuts the same nearly in the middle. Whereupon it is considered and ordered by the court that William Kern, John Kern, Nicholas Kern, William Thomas, Henry Rhoads, and Frederick Klein be appointed Commissioners... and if they see occasion to divide the said township according to the prayer of the said petition, and that they make report of their doings in the premises at the next court after it is so divided."
The commissioners reported at the September term of court, 1768,
"We the subscribers have viewed in pursuance of an order of June term last the township of Towamensing, and have divided the same by a natural boundary of the river Lehi." ... This report being read in open court and considered, it was "ordered that the division so as aforesaid made be confirmed, and, no cause being shown to the contrary, the same is confirmed and named by the Court Penn Township."
The first settlers of East Penn were English-speaking people of the following family names: Rhoads, Meyers, Washburn, Johnson, Thomas, Kocher, Custard, Piersol, Tippler, and others.
They received the grants for their lands about the year 1750.
After the war of independence a portion of them removed to Canada, their places here being filled by Pennites, with which the remaining families became intermarried, and in time by them entirely absorbed. In the year 1762 there were but thirty-three persons in the territory then embracing what, in 1768, became Towamensing and Penn townships. In the year 1781 the assessment-roll made by the commissioners of Northampton County on the 27th of December contained the following names: (1)
George J. Gilbert.
Michael J. Hoppes.
George Shelhamer, Jr.
George A. Bortz.
Jacob J. Mertz.
"Gentleman's Land." (2)
(1) Of the names given in this list, several will be found who were members of the Benn Salem Church, of whom are Michael Ohl and Eberhard Ohl, Michael Hoppes (he was a resident in the part of the township that in 1808 became West Penn. His grandson, Solomon Hoppes, now owns the mill in Mahoning township, on the site of the mill built by Christian Klotz in 1823), Heinrich Miller, Philip Schleicher, Joseph Rhoads, Simon Wehr, John (or Johannes) Handwerk, William Arner, and Leonard Balliet. (They were residents of the west part of Penn township, later West Penn.) Henry Arner, son of William, came to what is now Mahoning township in 1818, and is still living there. Thomas Balliet, son of Leonard, also came to what is now Mahoning, settled, and died there. His son, Nathan, is now a resident of that township.
(2) The lands here assessed were the unseated lands.
George J. Kistler.
Adam J. Stein.
Robert L. Hoper.
The territory remained as by the division of 1768 till 1808, when it was again divided into East Penn, West Penn, and Lausanne. East Penn embraced the present township of Mahoning, and the greater part of Mauch Chunk. West Penn was a portion of territory west of East Penn, that in 1811 became a part of Schuylkill County. Lausanne was the northern part of the township of Penn, and embraced the present townships of Lausanne, Lehigh, Banks, Packer, and a small part of Mauch Chunk.
The following is a list of the names of persons who were assessed in 1808: (1)
Stephen Balliet, Sr.
Stephen Balliet, Jr.
Joshua Davis, Esq.
Jacob Fritz, Sr.
John Fuhr, Jr.
Gertrude Goldner, widow.
William Henry, Esq.
Widow Catharine Haberman.
Martin Heaster estate.
George Henry Horn.
Joshua Kocher, Sr.
Joshua Kocher, Jr.
Estate of Michael Ohl.
Henry Remelly, Jr.
William Rex, Sr.
William Rex, Jr.
Peter Rhoads, Esq.
In the year 1827 the territory of East Penn township was reduced by the setting off of Mauch Chunk, the greater part of which was taken from this township. In the year 1830 the following persons were engaged in business in the township (Mahoning and Lehighton being still in its limits):
(1) The tax levied in that year was $175.39.
Saw-mills-Henry Arner, Elizabeth Daubenspeck, George Heilman, John Hough, Henry Notestine.
Grist-mills-Stephen Balliet, John Hough, Daniel Snyder.
Taverns-Jacob Andreas, Christian Fisher, Jacob Fenstermacher.
Forge-Balliet & Helffrich.
In the year 1842 Mahoning township was set off from East Penn, reducing it to its present territory.
It is bounded on the south by the Blue Ridge, which separates it from Lehigh County. Schuylkill County is on its western border, Mahoning township on the north, and the Lehigh River on the east.
Lizard Creek rises in the west part of the township, flows through Lizard Creek Valley, from which it takes its name, and enters the Lehigh River nearly at the middle of the east line.
The southern portion of the township, being the northern slope of the Blue Ridge, is still as much a wilderness as when the Indians roamed the trackless forests a century and a half ago. The valley of Lizard Creek was first settled by the Moravians soon after the massacre at Guadenhutten in 1755. An Indian missionary village was established on Lizard Creek, and was named "Wech-gue-toak." At this place were gathered some of the Indians who were scattered at the time of the burning of Gnadenhutten. Moravian missionaries were in charge. Loskiel, the well-known Moravian writer of that time, has the settlement marked on a map of the region made in 1763. The Scotch-Irish settlers along the valley considered the missions convenient places of gathering for unfriendly Indians, and threats of destruction were made to the inhabitants of this and other missionary villages. These became so frequent that the settlement was abandoned, and the village was burned by a party of whites in November, 1763. But very few, if any, families had settled in the limits of what is now East Penn township who remained through the troublous times that followed the defeat of Braddock.
The eastern portion of the township, especially along the Lehigh River, was not settled permanently until after 1800. The western portion was settled by English and Germans, who came in after the Revolution, working their way from the westward, settling first, in what became West Penn, and spreading eastward to the centre of the township. The locality around Benn Salem Church in both townships was the centre of the settlement. The history of that church is the best authority we have for the names of the settlers after 1781.
An examination of the assessment-rolls of 1781 and 1808 will show how few families of the earlier year were living here in the latter. The name of Bauman appears in both rolls. The family, however, were settlers in Towamensing, and probably owned lands in this township. The name of Valentine Bobst in 1781 is succeeded in 1808 by Peter Bobst. John and Peter Handwerk appear in the former year, and Peter Handwerk in 1808 is still a resident. Samuel Henry in 1781 is owner of property. In 1795, William Henry was joint owner with Jacob Weiss of a tract of land on which Lehighton borough is situated. Jacob Peter's name occurs in both years, and in the latter also appear Caspar and John Peter. Michael and Everett Ohle are assessed in 1781 on property as residents, and Andrew Ohle on unseated lands. In 1808 the estate of Michael Ohle is assessed and the name of Henry Ohle appears. John and Joseph Rhoads appear in 1781, and Joseph in 1808. Peter Rhoads, Esq., is assessed in the latter year on unseated lands. He was a resident of Northampton (now Allentown), and associate judge of Northampton County. Benjamin Walton was assessed on unseated lands in 1781, which seem to have been occupied in 1808 by Thomas and Samuel Walton. Simon Wehr was assessed in 1781. In 1804 the commissioners of Northampton County met at the house of George Simon Wehr to make a contract to build a bridge over "Mach junk Creek." This was the year in which the Lehigh and Susquehanna Turnpike was chartered, and Wehr, without doubt, kept a tavern at the place that later became so widely known as "The Landing Tavern." His name is on the roll of 1808. He was also a member of Benn Salem Church.
Martin Andreas emigrated from Alsace, on the Rhine, and arrived at Philadelphia, Oct. 7, 1749 in the ship "Leslie," J. Bulldower captain, from Rotterdam, and settled in Heidelberg township (now Lehigh County), Pa. He served in the American army during the Revolutionary war as a teamster.
His family consisted of five sons and one daughter, named as follows: Abraham, Peter, Jacob, William, Martin, and Salome (married to Jacob Freyman).
Jacob and Peter jointly purchased and occupied what is now known as the Andreas or Nimson farm in 1793. Jacob married Sarah Washburn, of East Penn township, and Peter married her sister. They were granddaughters of John Rhoads, the original settler and owner of the tract. Jacob lived on the farm till his death, and left two daughters, of whom Hannah became the wife of A. B. Nimson. She is now living at Lehighton. A. B. Nimson came to Pennsville about 1824, and taught school from that year till 1832. He was a part of the time in the employ of the Coal and Navigation Company at Summit Hill. In 1846 he was elected justice of the peace, and served several terms. In 1852 he was elected register and recorder of the county, and re-elected in 1855 and in 1861.
Peter Andreas lived on the farm from his first settlement till 1810, when he sold it to Jacob Dinkey and removed from the township. Josiah Andreas, Sarah (the wife of William Bittenbender), and Cecilia (wife of Gideon Kistler), are grandchildren of Peter.
William Andreas, brother of Jacob and Peter, came into the township in 1807, and purchased a farm near…
…Benn Salem Church, where he lived, and died in 1823. He left two sons, -Jonas and George. The latter lived on the homestead until about 1850, when he sold to John Neff, whose son, Reuben, now resides on the farm. George Andreas emigrated to Ohio, where he still resides.
Jonas settled in Lizard Creek Valley, where he now lives.
Jacob Dinkey, who in 1810 purchased the Peter Andreas tract, was a native of Whitehall township, Northampton Co. (now Lehigh), where he married. After he purchased the farm of Peter Andreas he removed to the place and erected a dwelling-house, in which he opened a tavern. Adjoining he also built a store and a blacksmith-shop. Upon his farm was built the first school-house in the lower part of the township. In 1820 he was appointed justice of the peace, and served many years. Upon the organization of the county in 1843 he was elected associate judge of Carbon County, being associated therein with Asa Packer. He died in 1845, aged sixty-two years. His children were Sarah, Charles, James, Reuben, Anna, and Leah. Sarah became the wife of John Bauman, and settled at Baumansville. Charles settled at home, kept the tavern for a time, was elected justice of the peace in 1853, and died at Pennsville. Jonas taught school for a term, and removed to Easton. Reuben lived at home many years, kept the tavern, was elected justice of the peace in 1858, 1863, and 1867, later removed to Baumansville, where he died. Anna remains unmarried, and lives in the village of Pennsville. Leah became the wife of George Balliet, and settled where Miss Ann Dinkey now resides.
Conrad Rehrig was a native of this State, his father having come to this country at a very early date, landing at Germantown, and settling in that part of the State. Conrad served in the Revolution, after which he married and emigrated to north of the Blue Ridge, and settled in Lizard Creek Valley, between Pennsville and the Reuben Stiegerwalt farm. He was one of the founders of the Benn Salem Church, and on the building committee from 1794 to 1797. He lived many years after, died, and was buried in the Benn Salem churchyard. He had eleven children-Martin, Daniel, John, Jacob, Jonas, Michael, Conrad, George, William, and a daughter, Elizabeth, who became the wife of Jacob Stiegerwalt, and settled farther up the valley. Martin, the eldest son, settled near the Balliet Forge, where he died in 1860. His children were Solomon, Jacob, Charles, Powell, Paul, Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Lentz), Lydia (Mrs. John Liebergood), and Rebecca. Solomon settled in the township, and died in 1854, leaving a wife and children, who later moved away. The property was sold to Dennis Bauman. Jacob moved to Slatebrook, where he still lives. Charles and Powell settled in the Lizard Creek Valley. Charles, a son of Charles, lives on his father's farm, and is an engineer. George and Henry, also sons of Charles, live near Bowman's Station. Reuben, a son of Powell, lives on his father's farm. Paul also settled in the valley, where his son, Reuben, now lives. Of the other sons of Conrad, Jacob now lives in Towamensing, Conrad settled on the homestead, and died single, Daniel emigrated West, John settled in the township. Owen Rehrig, of Lehighton, is a son. Jonas also lived in the township, and a son, Jonas, lives at Lehighton.
William, the youngest son of Conrad, born in 1804, settled on the homestead, and lived and died there. Esaias Rehrig, of Allentown, and William, now a resident of the township, are sons. Mrs. Owen Rehrig, Mrs. Mahlin Reichart, of Lehighton, are daughters.
Jacob Maurer (or Moury) was a native of Columbia County, N. Y., and emigrated to this township before 1800, and purchased a tract of land now owned by George Moury. He built the stone house now standing on the farm in the year 1817. He was a member of Benn Salem Church. In the year 1829, George Moury, the present owner, a nephew of Jacob, came to his uncle's from Columbia County, and lived with him, and, as Jacob Moury left no children, George came into possession of the farm.
The name of Heinrich Miller appears on the assessment-roll of 1781, and as an early member of Benn Salem Church, and in 1808 the names of Henry, Jost, and Abraham Miller are recorded as property-owners, and Christian Miller is given as a single freeman. One George Miller was in possession of the farm now owned by Charles Frantz many years ago. He sold it about 1840 and emigrated to the West.
Stephen Balliet, Sr., who, with Samuel Helffrich, built the Penn Forge in 1828, moved to the township from Whitehall, Lehigh Co., in 1837, when his son, Aaron, was erecting the Penn Furnace. He lived near the furnace till his death, in 1854. Of his children who lived in the township, Aaron remained in charge of the furnace till that time, and returned to Whitehall, where he now lives. George married Leah, the daughter of Jacob Dinkey, and settled at Pennsville. Joseph carried on a tan-yard several years after (1838). John Balliet in later years purchased the furnace, and still owns and operates it. He now lives at Slatington.
Daniel Romig, a native of Berks County, was born in 1799, and came to this township in 1820, and purchased a farm a short distance southwest of Pennsville. His son, Charles, was elected justice of the peace in 1863. Daniel Romig, Jr., was elected in 1880, and is still serving. A son lives at Parryville. Mrs. Simon Reichart, of Mauch Chunk, is a daughter.
…have been commenced three years before. The Revs. Schellbort, Deshler, Diehl, and John Schwarbach preached in the neighborhood in barns and houses before the completion of the church. The building committee were Peter Andreas, Tobias Schlosser, Carl Stiegerwalt, and Conrad Rehrig. George Fusselman was the builder. It was built of logs, thirty by forty-five feet in dimensions, having galleries on the sides. A burial-place was laid out adjoining the church lot, in which many of the forefathers of this region sleep.
The pastors who have served the Lutheran Church are as follows: Daniel George Schaffer, 1797-1814; John Caspar Diehl, 1814-1816; Frederick William Mendron, 1816-19; John Gottlieb Yeager, 1819-32; Freyman, 1832-33; Stohlen, 1833-36; Schewver, 1836-37; Winner, 1837-40; George, 1840-42; Ernst August Bauer, 1842-72; William Henry Strauss, 1872-84. The latter is still pastor.
The following are the names of the German Reformed ministers: Frederick Wetterschlott, Jacob Diefenbach, John Zulich (1816-1874), Abraham Bartholomew (succeeded the Rev. Mr. Zulich, and is still in the service).
The congregation of the Lutherans numbers a bout three hundred members, and the German Reformed about two hundred members.
The present substantial brick edifice was built on the site of the old house in 1855.
The following is a list of the early members of the church. It must be remembered that the church is not far from the division line of East and West Penn townships, and many of its members were residents of what is now Schuylkill County:
Carl, Peter, and Andrew Steigerwalt, Michael Ohl, Johannes Handwerk, Johannes Lechleidner, Heinrich Lechleidner, Lorenz Ebner, George Wertner, John Hoberman, George Hettler, Franz Krum, Daniel Rauch, Philip Schleicher, Peter Schleicher, John Schleicher, William Arner, Leonard Balliet, Jacob Bachman, Stephen Balliet, Peter Hartman, Heinrich Nothstein, Abraham Freyman, Jacob Mauser, Leonard Hautz, William Rex, Sr., Jacob Rex, Peter Andreas, Jacob Guldner, Daniel Rehrig, Conrad Rehrig, Heinrich Remaly, Joshua Kocher, Johannes Reber, Johannes Andreas, Jacob Andreas, Andrew Kunkle, Eberhard Ohl, Joseph Rhoads, Barnabas Rhoads, George Whitehead, Jacob Hettinger, Johannes Horn, George Heinrich Horn, Conrad Soldt, John Diedrich Heller, Johannes Klotz, Moyer Arnold, Philip Sendle, Valentine Schuck, Thomas Walton, Andreas Fritz, Andreas Heller, Jesse Kern, Nicolaus Feller, George Peck, Andreas Feller, Peter Musselman, Christian Wohl, Daniel Ebert, Conrad Wehr, George Lechleidner, George Griffin, Jonathan Bachman, Frederick Delius, Jacob Fritz, Conrad Ebner, Wilhelm Andreas, Solomon Gordon, Daniel Heil, George Andreas, George Simon Weber, Heinrich Miller, Anthony Bachard, George Ohl, Michael Hoppes, Johannes Heller, George Cunfer, Peter Stein, John George Guldner, George Ruch, Sr., Tobias Schlosser, John Fuhr, John Ringer, Heinrich Ziegle, Christian Ackerman. There are many other names of later date, but the names here given are of value as showing the settlers at the time.
BENN SALEM CHURCHYARD.--The following are a few of the names of persons buried in the grounds, with date of death:
Rev. John Schwarbach, died Oct. 31, 1800, aged 81 years.
John George Guldner, died April 23, 1803, aged 51 years.
Anna Maria Holshoe, wife of George Holshoe, died Aug. 28, 1814, aged 67 years.
George Ruch, died April 5, 1808, aged 39 years.
Sarah Washburn, wife of Jacob Andreas, died Feb. 23, 1803, aged 40 years.
Elizabeth "Legleidner," wife of Heinrich Lechleitner, died Nov. 4, 1830, aged 40 years.
Heinrich Legleidner (Lechleitner), died Feb. 5, 1844, aged 60 years.
John Peter Steigerwalt, died Sept. 15, 1840, aged 78 years.
Christina Steigerwalt, wife of John Peter, died Sept. 30, 1850, aged 95 years. At the time of her death there were two hundred and ninety-nine descendants.
Lorenz Ebner, died Nov. 10, 1842, aged 80 years.
Salome Ebner, wife of Lorenz, died July 1, 1838, aged 80 years.
Andrew Stiegerwalt, Carl Stiegerwalt, Robert McDaniel and his wife, Elizabeth, Conrad Rehrig, and many others, to whom no tablets are erected.
SCHOOLS.--The earliest schools in the township were connected with the Benn Salem congregation, which was organized before 1790. Its church edifice was completed in 1797, and school was kept after that in the building. But little is known of it. The school was taught entirely in German. In the lower or eastern part of the township the first school was started not far from 1812. A stone school-house was erected on the farm of Jacob Dinkey, and a term of three months was taught by Lawrence Enge, and was entirely English. He was succeeded by Abram Miller, James Campbell, Geoffrey Zilich, Jacob and James Dinkey, Andrew Croniean, Abram Low, Calvin Bertolette, Charles Black, A. B. Nimson (1824-32), Oliver Musselman, --- Alger (1850). The following certificate was given to Hannah Andreas (now Mrs. A. B. Nimson, of Lehighton):
"This is to certify that the bearer, Hannah Andreas, is head
of her class by her good attention to her Book, and thereby
has gained the good-will of her Tutor.
"the 30th of January, 1821"
This stone school-house was used until about 1866, when the present one was built adjoining the Union Church at Pennsville.
The township accepted the school law about 1840, …
…and now contains six schools, with about three hundred pupils. The following is a list of the school directors since 1844:
1844.-George Horter, Jacob Fatzinger.
1845.-Charles Dinkey, William Rehrig.
1846.-Jonas Andreas, John Hoberman.
1847.-Jacob Steigerwalt, Josiah Frantz.
1848.-William Rehrig, Reuben Dinkey.
1849.-Samuel Ruch, Paul Rehrig.
1850.-Thomas Shaffer, John Bauman, William Beck.
1851.-Aaron Balliet, Jacob Westman, Jonas Rehrig.
1852.-Elias George, Daniel Notestine, Henry Peter, Reuben Peter.
1853.-John Miller, George Schultz.
1854.-John Hunsicker, Jesse Heilman.
1855.-Michael Herter, Jacob Ruch, George Ruch, John B. Ruch.
1856.-George Schultz, Charles H. Nimson.
1857.-Michael Herter, George Hetler.
1858.-Jacob Davis, Peter Haberman.
1859.-George Schultz, Charles Rerig.
1860.-Joseph Haberman, Reuben Herter.
1861.-Gideon Peter, Reuben Dinkey.
1862.-George Maury, Jacob Westman.
1863.-M. Stiegerwalt, William B. Rehrig.
1864.-G. Kistler, John Haberman, Joseph Holshoe.
1865.-Daniel Romig, Jr., Levi Stiegerwalt.
1866.-Isaac Ginter, Elias Ruch.
1867.-Gideon Peter, John Balliet.
1868.-John Albright, Owen Andrew.
1869.-Isaac Giner, Thomas Haney.
1870.-Jacob Stiegerwalt, William Ross.
1871.-Josiah Andreas, Daniel Romig
1872.-Gideon Rehrig, Gideon Peter.
1873.-Josiah Andreas, Levi Frantz.
1874.-Harrison Stiegerwalt, James Appenseller.
1875.-Joel Heintzleman, T. W. Stiegerwalt.
1876.-Lewis Ruch, Henry Schultz.
1877.-Samuel Mill, Joseph Ruch, David Wehr.
1878.-John Reigel, Owen Smith.
1879.-David Delong, George Maury, Wilson Ebbert.
1880.-Gideon Kistler, Harrison Germon.
1881.-Elias Ruch, James Youser, Solomon Furby.
1882.-Harrison Stiegerwalt, Jacob Heintzleman.
1883.-Elias Smith, Albert Bauman.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.--Prior to 1840 the justices were appointed for districts embracing two or three townships. A list of those who held jurisdiction over this territory will be found in the civil list of the county.
The following-named persons have served as justices of the peace of the township since the organization of Carbon County:
Jacob Dinkey, elected March, 1845.
A. B. Nimson, elected March, 1846.
Aaron Balliet, elected March, 1847.
A. B. Nimson, elected March, 1851.
Charles Dinkey, elected March, ,1852.
John Hunsicker, elected March, 1853.
Charles H. Nimson, elected March, 1857.
John Hunsicker, elected March, 1858.
Reuben Dinkey, elected March, 1858.
Reuben Dinkey, elected March, 1863.
Charles Romig, elected March, 1865, declined.
Daniel Romig, elected March, 1866, declined.
Reuben Dinkey, elected March, 1867.
Elias S. Heintzleman, elected March, 1869, declined.
Lewis Ginter, elected March, 1869, declined.
John D. Balliet, elected February, 1875.
Elias S. Heintzleman, elected January, 1880.
Daniel Romig, Jr., elected January, 1880.
A. S. Stiegerwalt, elected March, 1882.
PENN FORGE AND FURNACE.--Stephen Balliet and Samuel Helffrich, in 1828, two years after the erection of the Lehigh Furnace in Heidelberg township (now Washington, Lehigh County), purchased land on the north side of the mountain, in East Penn township, Carbon Co., and near Pennsville, where they erected a forge known as Penn Forge. This was conducted by them till the death of Mr. Helffrich, in 1830. Mr. Balliet, in 1832, purchased the Helffrich interest. At this time Mr. Balliet owned in the vicinity about seven hundred acres of land. In 1837 he moved to the locality, purchased about three thousand acres of land, erected a furnace about three-quarters of a mile farther down the mountain, and constructed four tenement-houses, making eleven in all. He continued to reside here till his death, in January, 1854. His son, Aaron Balliet, now of North Whitehall, was in charge from 1838 to 1855. Soon after the death of Mr. Balliet the furnace and forge property was sold to Solomon Boyer and A. B. Nimson, and about 1858 it passed to John Balliet, a son of Stephen, by whom it is still owned and operated. It is a charcoal furnace, and is in blast from eight to ten months each year.
PENNSVILLE.--About the year 1807, William Jacob and Peter Andreas purchased a large tract of land in Penn township, embracing what is now Pennsville. Peter sold his land, in 1809, to Jacob Dinkey, who in the next year erected a building, which he used as a dwelling and a tavern. He also built a blacksmith-shop and a store. Jacob Andreas continued upon his land, and in 1828 opened a tavern, which he kept about three years.
A post-office was established about the same time, and was kept in the store of Jacob Dinkey, he being the postmaster. The office was kept there may years and then abandoned. On the 9th of April, 1883, it was again established, and Penrose George was appointed postmaster. He also keeps the hotel and store at Pennsville. The hotel was kept by Jacob Dinkey and his sons, Charles and Reuben, many years; in 1868 was sold to William Smith, and later passed to several others, and was finally destroyed by…
…fire, July 21, 1873. It was rebuilt in 1874 by Henry Notestine, who kept it two years, and sold to Penrose George, the present proprietor.
The people in the vicinity of Pennsville are mostly Germans, and members of the Lutheran and German Reformed Churches. Religious services were held in the school-house for many years, and in 1851 the present church edifice was erected. The pastors who have ministered to the Lutheran congregation are as follows: Revs. E. A. Bauer, D. K. Kepner, and Gustave A. Breugel, the present pastor.
The Rev. Charles J. Eichenberg served the German Reformed many years, and was succeeded by the Rev. Abraham Bartholomew, who is the present pastor.
The schools of the village are treated of in the history of the schools of the township.
The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,
Alfred Mathews & Austin N. Hungerford
Published in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1884
Transcribed from the original in November, 2002 by
[3X-great-grandson of David Weatherly Sr., namesake of the town of Weatherly]
Web page by