Image98.gif (27709 bytes)


The Andrew Family©
by Opal Fern Carley

       Dora May Andrew was born Nov. 18, 1876, in Athens County, Ohio, and departed this life at Hays, Kansas, March 30, 1947 after an illness of two and one-half years. When ten years of age she came with her parents and younger brother and sisters by covered wagon to Hodgeman County, Kansas, where they lived for three years near Jetmore, then moved to Platte County, Mo. She was reared a Presbyterian and in the fall of 1896 became a member of that church at Lebanon, Ohio, where she was attending teacher's college. She taught school for four years in Pottawatomie County, Kansas. On Dec. 22, 1901, she was married to Charles Leroy Carley at Wamego, Kansas. To this union four children were born: Leroy A. Carley, Hays, Kansas; Margaret E. Bowland, Stoutland, Mo.; J. Milton Carley, Great Bend, Kans.; and W. May Gill, Hays, Kans. In Jan., 1905 she came with her husband and two older children to a farm southwest of Plainville where she lived until the fall of 1934 when she moved to Missouri. The past 12 years she had made her home with her daughter and family at Stoutland, Mo. She was cared for in this home until nearly seven weeks ago when she was brought to Hadley hospital at Hays. She was preceded in death by her husband on Sept. 14, 1935, and by her father, mother, four sisters, two brothers and one grandson. Besides her four children and their families she leaves to mourn her passing, one sister, Mrs. Pearl Blackburn of Yuba City, Calif., two sisters-in-law, a number of nieces, nephews and a host of friends.
     Services were held April 1 at the Methodist Church in Plainville by Rev. Thorne of Hays Presbyterian Church, assisted by Rev. Husted. Interment was made in the Plainville cemetery.

Note by Dorothy Calkin, cousin of Clark L. Carley and grand daughter of Dora May (Andrew) Carley
wpe1.jpg (32958 bytes)

                                                                    JOHN ROBISON ANDREW
                                                                    WIFE ELIZABETH KASLER

     John R. Andrew was born in Athens Co., Ohio, January 7, 1835. Died June 16, 1909, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James Willey, near Laclede, Ks. Aged 74 years 5 months and 16 days. He was married to Elizabeth Kasler, March 9, 1857. To this union, 12 children were born, 3 girls died in infancy and one daughter, Nancy, died in 1880, aged 12 years. Three sons, Millard of Cincinnati, Ohio; Shelton of Atchison, Kansas and Charley Of Iatan, Mo. Five daughter, Mrs. Angle Latimore, Holister, Ohio; Mrs. Cora WILLEY, Wamego; Mrs. Dora Carley, Plainville, Ks.; Mrs. Pearl Blackburn, Monterose, Colo. And Mrs. Anne Alexander Rushville, . Mo. All survive him. In 1886, Mrs. Andrew moved with his family to Hodgeman Co. Ks. And 1899 moved to Platte CO, Mo. Where he lived until his wife died in 1903. Since then he has made his home with his children, For many years M. Andrews was a member of the Baptist Church but on moving to Mo. Here being no church of his choice, he united wit ht e Presbyterians. his remains were shipped to Latan, Mo. Laid by Beside, his wife in the Mt. Bethel Cemetery.
     The family of Dora May Andrew (Carley). Her grandfather was Robison Andrew who married Ruth McDaniels. Their children were Mahala who married John Wooly, John Robison Andrew who married Elizabeth Kasler and became the parents of Dora May Andrew (Carley). Other children from this union were Lewis, Chloe (Collins), Shelton, and Sarah. Elizabeth  Kasler was distantly related to Nancy Hanks of Abe Lincoln fame. She was the mother of Abraham Lincoln.
     John Robison Andrew married Elizabeth Kasler on March 8, 1857 at the home of the bride. John Robison Andrew was born January 1, 1835 and died June 16, 1909. His wife Elizabeth was born April 25, 1838 and lived until April 10, 1903. To their union 12 children were born, three girls dying in infancy. Nancy died at the age of 12 years. Their son Millard Fillmore Andrew was born February 13, 1858 and had six children; Angie, born May 16, 1860 and died January 21, 1921 having been the mother of girls; Eva Elizabeth born May 13, 1864 passed away April 26, 1865; Shelton Riley born May 24, 1866 and died January 15, 1942; Nancy Jane born March 13, 1868 and passed on August 15 at age 12 years; Cora Mandana born Nov. 27, 1871 died August 20, 1924 having had 10 children; Charles Edward, March 5, 1874 was lost to his sister Dora May since he visited her at the Plainville ranch 1926 or 27. He was hitch-hiking from Hays when he was given a ride by Glenn Gill. During their conversation, he learned that Glenn and he were both going to the C. L. Carley home. Glenn was courting Winnie May Carley who became his wife in 1927. In trying to locate "Uncle Charlie" his sister Dora May learned he had been in charge of a home for homeless men in Missouri during the Great Depression, but go no other leads as to his whereabouts! Sarah Ann Andrew was born April 14, 1881 and died June 16, 1918 leaving six children. Nora Pearl Blackburn was born in 1879 and died in 1962. Leroy and Opal visited her in 1960 at her home in Yuba City on the Feather River. Shortly before that her husband and son were swept away in a flood of Feather River. He was the sheriff and was accompanied on patrol of the flood area by his only son. Both were lost. "Aunt Pearl" died before we (Lee and Opal) were back in that area where we visited our Kenneth and family. Her son had one child.

Class Reunion 1897
Class Reunion 1897 Dora May Andrew.


Picture from Clark Carley scrap book

College picture

Dora May is third from right, middle row.
College picture

wpe1.jpg (74530 bytes)

John R. Andrew discharge National Guard to serve 100 day Union Army I have been unable to find any record of him   in the Union Army

wpe1.jpg (7132 bytes)

Andrew Shield

     Dora May Andrew (Carley was born November 18, 1876 and died at Hadley Hospital in Hays after a rather long illness with Hodgkin Disease at 70 years of age. This illness is usually found in young men and now is believed to be cancer   of the lymph glands. An Ozark doctor discovered her problem. She died on March 30, 1947 leaving four children. Her birth was at Athens, Ohio, to John and Elizabeth Kasler Andrew. She was a Presbyterian having joined that church at Lebanon, Ohio. Later she went to stay for a time with her brother Millard  was in Athens where he taught at a Teachers' College which she attended. She became a teacher. While with her brother, she got her first glasses to help her with her very poor vision due to her being very nearsighted. In spite of her vision problem she was an avid reader all her life. This same vision problem appears in many of grand-daughters and great grand-daughters to the present time. She had the best of memories and loved to tell stories to children. She especially liked little boys!!
     At some time her family when she was a child, lived for a while in Hodgeman County, Kansas near Jetmore. The John Robison family came by train to Hodgeman County, Kansas 1886 where they took a claim. They lived there for a year. There they lived in a "dug-out". They did not "prove-up" their claim and went to Missouri by covered wagon. Dora May was about 10 years old when they settled on the claim. Elizabeth Kasler, mother of Dora May Andrew Carley was the daughter of Mahlon Kasler and Lydia Miner Kasler. They were besides Elizabeth Kasler Andrew, Mandana Kasler Grubb who had 3 children; Hannah had 1 child; Nancy. There are no children listed; Pearl-Wolf and Linscott had 6 children; Michael, no family given; Nathan had 5 children; and Lydia Kasler Kittel, 3 children; Jeduthan has no information on a family for him; Elizabeth Kasler had 12 children, one of which was Dora May Carley, mother of Leroy, Margaret, Milton and May. On December 22, 1901, she married C. L. Carley (Charles LeRoy known as Roy) in Wamego, Kansas.
     When Gra Carley as we called her was about 10 years old, her family moved to Hodgeman County. I've been to the spot and at that time you could tell there had been a building there. I think I was told it as a dugout. She didn't seem to remember a lot about that period in her life. And I don't remember how we knew where their home was. One day, when visiting with my parents, the subject came up of the Andrews family in that area. My Dad as reminded that his Uncle  Emmett Burdue senior knew John Robison Andrew. He told many curious tales about him. One was that one time when his nearest neighbor went home to Missouri for a visit of a few weeks, he came back and his house had no roof. John Robison Andrews' had a roof much better than before. Ken says that if you are a true Carley, you have sticky fingers. I have a feeling that the family lived in very poor conditions. There were so many children and life on a claim in Hodgeman County couldn't be too good. I do not see how they could have made a living there. Of course there were people that did. But  they stuck it out for years. I do not know where the Andrew family went from Hodgeman County. Grandma had lived in Ohio  and in Missouri and then in Kansas. I suppose in that order though I'm not too sure. anyway at sometime in her life, seemingly after the period she was in school in Athens, Ohio, she went to the teachers' college in Emporia. It must have been during this period that she met Charles LeRoy Carley her husband. It is rather curious that these two families knew each other but none of us realized that until years after the Andrew family left.

wpe2.jpg (76609 bytes)

This we call the Corn Letter, Dora May wrote inviting her future husband, Charles LeRoy Carley to a Corn Husking in 1900, guess he excepted.

     Grandma taught in the area around Louisville   or Wamego. Pottawatomie Co. Ks.  Several different families and friends claim Wamego as their home at some time. I really feel that all her life Grandma had problems with material things. As I have mentioned she had very poor sight. But she read anyway and she remembered what she read which is better than most of us do. Children liked her very much. She always had fun things to do or stories. One time when the LeRoy Carleys lived on East (West) correction 234 12th and that was the highway one of her ways of entertaining the children was to sit out on the front porch with them and count the cars. They spent hours at that. They of course varied their game to suit the circumstances. Grandma Dora didn't care anything for sewing, cooking or housekeeping. But teaching, fun things, outdoor life, she seemed to enjoy. Such as getting the children around her out in the yard and selling them all at digging dandelions.
     It was quite a project and quite a success. I think I've mentioned that she as very strictly raised as far as religion and morals were concerned. She spanked May one time when she was 17 years old for going to a party with a guest. She as very much against anything that had the slightest taint of immorality about it. She was a Scotch-Irish Presbyterian. My Dad liked to tell her that he had always been told that Scotch-Irish were the meanest people on earth. Lots of people couldn't have gotten by saying anything like that, but in his case she thought it was funny. She even repeated it sometimes. Of course she was very much against drinking. But one time when she heard  Uncle Milton, that is her Milton, had liquor, she laughed about it because it was Milton. We all understood. Boys could get away with almost anything with her. That's not to say she didn't like the girls. She crocheted them dresses, and sweaters and caps and mittens and did similar things for the boys. One of Evelyn's treasures was a dress crocheted by Gra. She wore it when she had her picture taken. I forgot her age. She was probably 4 or 5. It was a yellow dress with brown daisies embroidered on the yoke. I really wish I had it. I think I gave it to someone, probably one of the cousins. She also made Curtis a little sun-suit and he's wearing that in one of his pictures.

Home of Charles and Dora Carley

Majority of pictures in most scrap books were taken on front porch The first picture of this story (Opal Fern Carley scrapbooks.)  was taken there.

wpe1.jpg (4272 bytes)

wpe2.jpg (7289 bytes)

Old storm and fruit cellar, used twice for tornadoes, barn and wind mill gone. I was 4 at the time. My Uncle Milton grabbed me and my sister and ran.

Front   porch Anderson Ranch house which I took in 1995.

     One of their neighbors when they lived on Andreson Ranch near Plainville, told us that Grandpa Carley drank and that poor Bill Nay had to come out in the middle of the night and help him put his horses away when he'd come home late because he was too drunk to do it by himself. Grandma said it wasn't true. I'm quite sure it wasn't. She never would have stood for that. Never in the world would she have done that. She probably would have gone to help him if he were ill, but drunk, never! One time when he was with us in Hays, the Carleys, there was a woman living temporarily across the street in an apartment. Lee had a fit about something and they don't know how Grandma understood, unless the woman said it to her. This woman said, "I feel so sorry for that woman and all those little kids and that drunken man", when of course Lee wasn't drunk. Grandma really rubbed it in. She told him he might as well have the name as the game. If he was going to act like a drunk he might as well be called one. Lee didn't say a word. She and I got along pretty good, in fact better than she got along with a lot of other people including her own. She couldn't see even with the best of glasses. As an elderly lady, she said she'd like to go to a real specialist that would help her to see. When she really wanted to see something, she would get it as close to her eyes as she could get it then she could make it out. The doctor told her that the glasses she had on were the best that were made. He told her he could sell her some more up-to-date ones but the lens would be just the same, so she gave up. She did not go to the eye doctor again. She said it was quite a revelation to her when she got her first glasses at 20 years of age. Many many things that I'd just taken for granted about other people, she's never seen before. She managed though to lead a full life, even though it was dimly seen.
     All her children wore glasses, but I'm not really sure whether all of them were nearsighted or not. They might have been. Lee's eyes looked very much like his mother's and I suspect he was nearsighted. I do not remember how old he was when he got glasses. Evelyn got glasses at about 13 when school work began to bother her eyes, and she couldn't see as well as usual. JoNelle was farsighted when she was 4 and we thought everything was fine. But in the sixth grade, it came out that her vision was poor and entirely different than it had always been. When we went places, I had her read signs to me. Many of them she couldn't see so I took her to Doctor Windsor who confirmed that she was very nearsighted. The doctor said that wasn't’t the first case of that kind she had seen. They don't know why it happens. The difference is in the shape of the eyeball. What causes it to change I do not know. Most of Grandma's family were small people. The men except for Uncle Charlie, were very small. Ken is as large as any of them, and larger than some of the ones I knew. Especially Uncle Shelton. Uncle Shelton was married twice. He had 12 stepchildren. We all knew him and Uncle Charlie quite well. They were brothers of Dora May. Ordinarily they were pretty good about writing to their sister, Mrs. Carley. She did know when Uncle Shelton died. He was in a nursing home but I've forgotten where and somebody sent her a message. She never did know what became of Uncle Charlie. He probably died at a time when no one knew who to contact. Or perhaps he didn't want her to know what was happening to him.   I do not know how many children they had when they lived in Hodgeman County.

Page seems to be missing, page starts in the middle of a sentence) I Have Not Found missing page. No one else with copies of this has the missing page either.

    It is a thoroughly rugged area with a nice little valley. Their home was on the east side of the valley. I don't know where the neighbor lived. Whether it was near or far, and I wouldn't know which direction to go. It might have been in the area which was once the Wyatt ranch. That was my birthplace. It's the same sort of terrain. After Lee's funeral, September 27, 1982, several of the family members were at the Roy Carley home just visiting. I noticed that James Milton and Kenneth Carley were having a very interesting conversation, but I paid no attention to it. Later Kenneth told me that the Dora May and Charles LeRoy Carley children were badly abused. So far as I know, he didn't differentiate among them. Both their parents were believers in education. Both of the girls taught school. They went to college. Milton decided on working in the oil fields and farming. Of course they were all farmers at heart. At this time, in September 1984, Milton is dead also. He died rather suddenly of a heart attack which we think he was   expecting and was prepared for. He looked very well and seemed healthy enough. He died shortly. After several hours in ICU, he asked the nurse in charge to call May and tell her that he was going to be gone in a short time. She did. She  arrived there just before he died. It was a shock to all of us. He looked so well, and was doing the same sort of things. visiting, going out for coffee with the bunch, going to church, which was always a big thing with him, especially these last many years. All of us miss him badly. He always kept in touch with his sister and his brother until his brother's death. They both in Mount Allen Cemetery in Hays, in the same area.
     This brings the histories of the four families to an end. In some ways they're brief. I hope someone enjoys them or can use them. The Carley's, the Dunn's, the Burdue's and the Andrew family all met in one way or another in the early days of Kansas.
     Originally, the Burdue's came from France, and Nathaniel Bordeaux was the first one over here. The Carley's, the name at least is English. The Andrew's were Scotch-Irish, and the Dunn's were Irish, though I don't think they know who the ancestor was who came to the United States as an immigrant. We all did you know. That makes the stories more interesting. Though besides the Burdue story, I have never heard about the original immigrant or where they came from. It would be nice to know. It is interesting whether it is may use to us. I hope someone will enjoy these stores. I'm finishing this last one with the help of Janice Boyle, and using a tape recorder because I cannot see what I write. I think it was a good suggestion. So this is it. I hope it comes to some good to someone. Bye. (Opal Fern (Burdue) Carley)
In haste during October of 1983, I am drawing these brief histories of the four families concerned in the stories of my children. The Andrew family, the Carleys, the Burdues and the Dunns, to a close. I am sorry I have not been consistent as to person regarding some of the characters, mainly myself. An old cliché says, "Let sleeping dogs lie", and that I have done leaving skeletons in their respective closets so as to do no evil to anyone.
     I have depended on my memory for things long past and on written information given me by my mother Edna Catherine Dunn Burdue and the marvelous memory of my mother-in-law Dora May Andrew Carley who likewise gave me reliable facts and dates. At the time I was given these facts, most people wrote with pencils which fades with time. I hope to leave these original writings herewith. Perhaps the handwriting will be of interest in future times. It is a curious fact that my father's uncle Emmett Burdue knew the family of Dora May Andrew (John Robison Andrews family) when they lived for a short time in Hodgeman County. He also lived in that county, north of Dodge City and new Jetmore as did the Andrew family. Anyone who has the courage may set his "noggin" to work to outline the family trees of the families involved. That would make relationships much less difficult to see! It seems amazing that in my 75 1/2 years, I have experienced a time reaching in memory from horseflies carriage to a time when travel is largely by flying machines and men visiting the moon and some planets. Are men getting too big for their britches? (Wrote by Opal Fern (Burdue) Carley in 1983), didactic to a tape recorder and typed up for her. I do not at this time. June 1995 know who that was, but I will find out. Gamma Carley (Dora May Andrew) commented several time in the past, she did not understand how some one married into the Carley family knew so much history of the Carleys and the Andrew families. Dora May was always telling stories of her past of all families, she just did not count on Mother, Opal Fern remembering many of her tales which in most cases were correct. CLC June 1995 transcribed to computer.

July 23, 2002 - -  Took me a week to straighten most of this up as was original wrote using Q and A word program and in change over to word, it added many asci signs as these, And I had to go through and take all of them out, I hope, so not to sure of some spelling. I think I did this about 1993 and so far I can't find my original copy. Contains much good info and date. Some one ask what church did the Andrew's belong to, well it seems from these notes, Presbyterian. Info had to be from family bible and other notes.

Grandma Carley's Family -- Andrew & Kasler Michlor Kasler - married Lydia Acinich Minery 1. Mandana Grubby Herbert - Trimble or Glouslir, O.D. Jarvis - Somplace in Cincinnati. Broomfield - Dead 2. Elizabeth - our own mother 3. Hannah - Marvin Kasler - Nelsonville 4. Nancy O'Neal - Jacksonville, Ohio 5.. Pearl Wolf-Linscott Mundew Cora Saunders - Millfield Ohio Lori - married near Cleveland Ohio John Wolf - Trimble, O. Homer - Trimble, O. Harland Linscott - at his father's Marie - married lives with her father 6. Michael - dead - no children 7. Nathan Florence McCume - Trimble Frank Minor - Trimble Sara Kasler - Trimble Usher Kasler - Middleport, Ohio Jesse Kasler - Trimble 8. Jeduthan - on our old home place could not tell about his children 9. Lydia Kittle Fred Kittle - Athens, Ohio. Anne King - Crooksville, Ohio. Hull Kittle - Glanster, Ohio. This is a rough sketch as I remember it, but it will give you some idea of your relationship. I am not very well these days - have an old attack of intestinal trouble that I thought had left me. Will be all right soon. Will go back to Ohio early next month to stay. They can get along here without me. do not know just where I am going or what I will do, but will get busy soon. Wendell landed in New York last Saturday and was sent to Camp Wills L.I. - no doubt he will be sent west someplace soon. I want him to get out as soon as possible. Will write again soon. Let me hear from you soon. Millard Marriages John R. Andrew and Elizabeth Kasler were united in marriage March 9, 1857 L. Marshall Latimer and Hugh Andrew were united in marriage 1877 Millard F. Andrew and Melissa A. Busie were united in marriage Aug. 18, 1886 James A. Willey and Eva M. Andrew were united in marriage Oct. 7, 1888˙˙Joseph Alexander and Sarah Anne Andrew were united in marriage Nov. 28, 1900 Jesse Blackburn and Nora Pearl Andrew were united in marriage Jan 2, 1901 C. LeRoy Carley and Dora May Andrew were united in marriage Dec. 22, 1901 Shelton R. Andrew and Dollie Phillips were united in marriage May 14, 1902 (Brother of Dora May) Millard F. Andrew and Elizabeth Wilson were united in marriage Nov. 29, 1903 Shelton Andrew and Emma June 14, 1912 Deaths But rest more soft and still Than ever nightfall gave, our longing heart will fill In that rest beyond the grave. Eva C. Andrew died Apr. Nancy J. Andrew, died Aug 12, 1880 Elizabeth Kasler Andrew died Apr. 10, 1903 Melissa Busic Andrew died Nov. 16, 1902? Dollie Phillips
     Andrew died Feb 28, 1909? Family Record John Robison Andrew was born Jan 7, 1835 Elizabeth Andrew was born Apr 25, 1838 Millard Fillmore Andrew was born Feb 13, 1858˙Angie Andrew was born Mar 16, 1860˙Eva Elizabeth Andrew was born May 13, 186? Shelton Riley Andrew was born May 24, 1866 Nancy Jane Andrew was born Mar 13, 1868 Cora Mandana Andrew was born Nov 27, 1871 Charles Edward Andrew was born Mar 15 1874 Dora May Andrew was born Nov 18, 1876 Nora Pearl Andrew was born Apr 2, 1879 Sarah Anne Andrew was born Apr 14, 1881 Deaths Eva - May 186? - She was less than a year old Nancy - August 1880 Elizabeth (our mother) Apr. 10, 1903 John (our father) July 1909 (July 19 I think) Anne - June 12, 1918 Angie - Jan. 21, 1921˙Cora - Aug. 20, 1924 Millard - Mar. 23, 1936 Shelton - Jan. 15, 1942 Dora May - Mar 30, 1947 Pearl - July Charles - unknown what became of him Our fathers family Robinson Andrew Ruth McDonnell Mahala married John Wolley John (our father) Lewis married Sarah and after her death married June  Honnicut  Chloe married Elijah Collins Shelton married Lucy These pages are from Grandpa's memory book. This house I don't know about - whether it is where he was born or where they lived in Ks. LONELY By Frances Lee Clammer The low dark trembling of the eastern sky. Holds one star waiting dimly for the moon. To weld its little shine into one cry Of ecstasy. So do I wait. Come soon! Against the dreamy sunset's crimson heart One tree lifts aching branches toward the sky To court approaching night -- to be a part Of its vast ebony. And so wait I wake alone. And in the wind wrapped dawn. I hear one bird cry lonely for her mate. She looks into the sky where he has gone. I know! For thus I cry -- and look -- and wait! (The rest of this page appears to be photographs in a scrapbook.) In Memory of Charles LeRoy Carley Birthplace Louisville, Kansas Mar. 13, 1871 Departed This Life Sept.15, 1935 Plad, Missouri Age 64 years, 6 months, 2 days Interment Plainville Sept. 18, 1935 Plainville, Kansas Family Record Father's Parents: Thomas & Samantha Carley Thomas died Nov. 18, 1881 Samantha died Dec. 1861 Mother's Parents: John & Sarah Daigh John died Jun 28, 1856 Sarah died Aug. 12, 1886Father: Lot H. Carley…Mother: Margaret A. Carley. Daigh) Deceased: Charles LeRoy Carley Married to Dora M. Andrew children: LeRoy Andrew Carley, Margaret Elizabeth Bowland (Carley) James Milton Carley, Winnie May Gill (Carley) from Harvey Linscott to Grandma Carley's Father, J.R. Andrew. He was married to a Pearl Kasler - daughter of Mahlon & Lydia Kasler. May 23rd, 1862 Camp Summerville Va. Mr. J. R. Andrew, Sr. I have a chance of sending a few lines to Gauley tomorrow and I will improve on the opportunity I have written to the folks at home and presume that you have heard ere this that our regiment has left Summerville, we have heard from it today. They say that it is on the way back to Gualy and will move from there to Tennessee and take possession of the Tennessee Railroad. If that is the case and I presume it is we will get with our regt. soon. I
would rather be with the regiment, although we have easier times here. but I would rather see a little harder times than to stay here and see nothing. I will not have time to write much this evening but I will try and let you know that we are still here and praying to leave every day. but don't know when we will get off there is no mail from Gauley here and we have to send as we get a chance and we get no letters atoll. I don't look to hear from home anymore for sometime unless it is an accident. But tell them to write and do the same yourself and I may happen to get them by accident. I am well and able for almost any game that they can put me onto. I have
broke the tab out of my Enfield and can't shoot till I get a new gun, but I guess I will get one in a day or two.‘ Blanket is well I believe for me and him went out and shot a hog the other day and skinned it and it eat right well. I thank you that is nothing we do such tricks frequently. It is now after Roll Call and I must close without telling you what you would like. I hear but I haven't time to do anymore. So Good Night to ye, write soon and I will do it every chance I get. Harvey Linscott to J R Harvey Linscott to J.R. Andrew Harvey Linscott 36th Regt. OVI in care of WHG A B C D Adney Mrs. M.A. Carley Dead Margaret Ann Daigh, daughter of John and Sarah Daigh, was born near Rochester, Sangamon county, Illinois, January 20, 1845; and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Milton Rightmire near Wamego, April 26, 1925; aged 80 years, 3 months and 6 days. She moved, with her parents, to Wisconsin when a small child, and there she grew to womanhood. On February 18, 1864, she was united in marriage to Lieutenant Lot H. Carley at Fairplay, Wisconsin. Three children survive this union: …Mrs. Milton Rightmire of Wamego; C.L. Carley of Plainville; and Dr. harry d. Carley of St. Louis, Missouri. Her husband died July 15, 1885, at Auburn, Nebraska. She and one brother G.L. Daigh, are the last of a family of eight children. When twenty-eight years of age, Sister Carley was converted and she joined the Methodist church. She has ever lived faithful and consistent Christian life, and at the time of her death, was one of the highly honored beloved and respected members of the M.E. church here in Wamego. Those of us that had the good fortune to know her in the days of her strength and activity, remember her as one of the most lovable and devoted Christian saints. We cannot speak too highly of her, or praise her good deeds too fervently. She was a woman of refined tastes and desires. She loved the best things in life. And above all, she loved her church and its ministry. She stayed here in town as long as she was able to care for herself in order that she might have the privilege of attending the services of the church. She made many friends of all who knew her, and has left deeply impressed upon our hearts the lessons of beautiful living and serving as enacted in her life. And throughout a long life of hardships and many privations, she fought a winning fight. She left a name untouched and untarnished by the things of the world. She had her habitation here, but her citizenship was in Heaven. She did kindly deeds here, but never with the thought of praise or reward of mankind. IT was for the sake of Him whose disciple she was, and in his name that she did her kindly deeds. She believed the words of Him who said, "Whosoever giveth a cup of cold water in my name shall have his reward." How comforting it must be to her loved ones and to all of us who knew her, to think how Heaven must have waited with outstretched arms to receiver her immortal spirit while her Lord and Savior said to her; "Well done thou good and faithful servant; enter thou into the joy of the Lord." We will miss her, but our loss is Heaven's gain. Therefore, let our hearts be comforted. Besides the children and brother as mentioned above, she leaves seven grandchildren and one great grandchild, other relatives and a host of friends to mourn her departure. Funeral services were held at the M.E. church in Wamego, Tuesday afternoon, at two-thirty o'clock, conducted by her pastor, the Rev. L. B. Pruitt, and the body was shipped to Auburn, Nebraska, and laid to rest in the family lot in the cemetery.
     This Millard F. Andrew was Grandma Carleys brother ANDREW RITES ARE ARRANGED FOR WEDNESDAY------Teacher in Cincinnati Schools for Many Years.
     Funeral services for Millard F. Andrew, 78, former school teacher in Cincinnati for many years, and at one time assistant superintendent of Cincinnati public schools, will be held in the George H. Rohde & Son's funeral home, Linwood and Delta avenues, Wednesday at 2 p.m. He died in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Herbert N. West, 2834 Madison Road, Hyde Park, late Monday. Andrew was a thirty-second degree Mason and a charter member of the Hyde Park Symbolic Lodge. Masonic services will be held in the funeral home, Tuesday at 8 p.m. First serving as principal of Chevlet Public School, Andrew later was principal of Linwood Public School for nine years and was assistant superintendent of schools of the city for fourteen months. After serving in the latter position, he was appointed principal of the Twenty-fifth District School and later served in Central Fairmount, Lincoln and Saylor Park Schools. He retired from active school work in 1923, but later was head of the department of education, Harrogate University, Tennessee. He had been living in retirement in Clarksville, O., for several years.
Burial will be in Spring Grove Cemetery.
     (He took Grandmother in and educated her and found she could not see and put glasses on her. CLC) Memorial - Dora May Andrew Dora May Andrew was born Nov. 18, 1876 near Buchtel, Athens county, Ohio, and departed this life at Hays, Kansas, March 30, 1947˙‘ after an illness of two and one-half years. When ten years of age she came with her parents and younger brother and sisters by covered wagon to Hodgeman County, Kansas, where they lived for three years near Jetmore, then moved to Platte County, Mo. She was reared a Presbyterian and in the fall of 1896 became a member of that church at Lebanon, Ohio, where she was attending teacher's college. She taught school for four years in Pottawatomie County, Kansas. On Dec. 22, 1901, she was married to Charles Leroy Carley at Wamego, Kansas. To this union four children were born: Leroy A. Carley, Hays, Kans.; Margaret E. Bowland, Stoutland, Mo., J. Milton Carley, Great Bend, Kans.; and W. May Gill, Hays, Kans. In Jan., 1905, she came with her husband and two older children to a farm southwest of Plainville where she lived until the fall of 1934˙‘ when she moved to Missouri. The past 12 years she had made her home with her daughter and family at Stoutland, Mo.
     She was cared for in this home until nearly seven weeks ago when she was brought to Hadley hospital at Hays. She was preceded in death by her husband on Sept. 14, 1935,˙‘ and by her father, mother, four sisters, two brothers and one grandson Besides her four children and their families she leaves to mourn her passing, one sister, Mrs. Pearl Blackburn of Yuba City, Calif., two sisters-in-law, a number of nieces, nephews and a host of friends. Services were held April 1 at the Methodist Church in Plainville by Rev. Thorns of Hays Presbyterian Church, assisted by Rev. Husted. Interment was made in the Plainville cemetery.
     This is Grandpa's obituary - written Grandma's hand, Charles LeRoy Carley was born near Louisville, Kans. Mar. 13, 1871˙‘. When about four years old, his parents moved to Ill. In 1881 they moved to Iowa and in 1884 moved to Auburn, Neb. where Roy as he was known grew to manhood. After spending three years of his early manhood in Okla. he came back to the land of his birth in 1896.˙‘ In ˙1901 he married Dora M. Andrew. In 1905, he with his wife and two children LeRoy, Jr. and Margaret moved to Rooks Co. Kansas. Here two more children were born to this home. Milton and May. On what is known as the Andreson place, eight and one-half miles southwest of Plainville, this little family lived and toiled for almost thirty years. May, LeRoy and Margaret married from this home, and in 1934, Roy, his wife, and one son, Milton, said farewell to the old home, on July 31st, and moved to Dallas Co., Mo. Broken in fortune, health and spirit, he lived but a short time. On the morning of Sept. 15, 1935 life left his poor, tired body and went to dwell with the immortals.
     Next comes a series of photographs with the following descriptions:1. Margaret A. Carley born Rochester, Ill Jan 20, 1845 Interment at Auburn, Nebr. Apr. 29, 1925 Mrs. Lawson Hannibal Carley 2. Our grandmother Dora May Andrew 3. This little dog is Grandpa's little Mickey. He grieved ˙ himself to death when Grandpa died. The Waconda Spr. Ks. Shot is the springs where Grandpa's Carley went for an arthritis cure in 1920˙‘.˙ (Dorothy (Bowland) Calkin has two checks wrote by Charles LeRoy Carley for these treatments.)Dora May Andrew was born Nov. 18, 1876 near Buchtel, Athens county, Ohio, and departed this life at Hays, Kansas, March 30, 1947 after a lingering illness of two and one-half years. When ten years of age she came with her parents and younger brother and sisters by covered wagon to Hodgeman‘ County, Kansas, where they lived for three years near Jetmore, then moved to Platte County, Mo. She was raised a Presbyterian and in the fall of 1896 became a member of that church at Lebanon, Ohio, where she was attending teacher's college. She taught school for four years in Pottawatomie County, Kansas. On Dec. 22, 1901, she was married to Charles Leroy Carley at Wamego, Kansas. To this union four children were born: Leroy A. Carley, Hays, Kans.; Margaret E. Bowland, Stoutland, Mo.; J. Milton Carley, Great Bend, Kans.; and W. May Gill.
     Hays, Kans. In Jan. 1905, she came with her husband and two older children to a farm southwest of Plainville where she lived until the fall of 1934 when she moved to Missouri. The past 12 years she had made her home with her daughter and family at Stoutland, Mo. She was cared for in this home until nearly seven weeks ago when she was brought to Hays and put in Hadley Hospital for treatment and care. She was preceded in death by her husband on Sept. 14, 1935, and by her father, mother, four sisters, two brothers and one grandson. She leaves to mourn her passing, LeRoy A. Carley - Hays, Kansas; Mrs. C.W. Bowland - Stoutland, Mo.; J. Milton Carley - Great Bend, Kans.; Mrs. Glenn Gill - Hays, Kansas; Two daughters-in-law, Mrs. Leroy Carley and Mrs. Milton Carley, two sons-in-law, C.W. Bowland and Glenn Gill, one sister, Mrs. Jesse Blackburn, Yuba City, Calif., one brother, Charles Andrew, two sisters-in-law, Mrs. Eva Rightmire, Wichita, Kansas and Mrs. H.D. Carley, St. Louis, Mo., seventeen grandchildren, a number of nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.
     Sunset and evening star, And one clear call for me! And may there be no moaning of the bar, When I put out to sea. Twilight and evening bell, And after that the dark! And may there be no sadness of farewell, When I embark! For, though from out our balance of time & place The flood may bear me far, I hope to see my Pilot face to face When I have crossed the bar.
     Services were held Tuesday, p.m. April 1 at the Methodist Church in Plainville by Rev. Thorns of Hays Presbyterian Church, assisted by Rev. Husted. Interment in the Plainville cemetery.
      19904 Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census Washington
      November 22, 1941
     Re: Dora Carley Andrew
     Mrs. Dora Andrew Carley Stoutland, Missouri
Dear Madam:
     The following information, about the person named, was obtained from the records Census of 1880, taken as of June 1 Dover township County Athens State Ohio Name Relationship Age Place of Birth Citizenship Andrews, Daughter 3 Ohio Dora M enumerated with the family of John R. and Elizabeth Andrews. The above information (spelling of name, relationship, age, etc.) is an exact copy of census enumeration for the individual and cannot be changed. The schedules for the Census of 1890 were destroyed by fire. Month and year of birth are shown only at Census of 1900.
Sincerely yours
     To Whom It May Concern Know Ye, that John R. Andrew a Private of Captain Patterson 2nd Company, Cavalry "Ohio National Guard, aged 28 years‘ and residing in Bern, Athens County, Ohio, having joined said organization on the 4th day of July A.D. 1863 to serve for the term of FIVE YEARS, and having served with his company, honestly and faithfully to the present date, is now HONORABLY DISCHARGED from the military service of the State of Ohio, by virtue of an act of the General Assembly, passed April 2d, A.D. 1866, entitled "and act to enroll the Militia of Ohio, to organize a volunteer militia, and to repeal certain acts therein named," the tenth section of which act requires the honorably discharge of all members of the "National Guard. That said _____ having been mustered into the U.S. Service in May, 1864, under the call for "one hundred days' men," and honorably discharged therefrom, is exempt from militia duty excepting in case of war, insurrection, or invasion, or the reasonable apprehension there of. Given at Columbus, Ohio, from the office of the Adjutant General of Ohio, this first day of May, A.D. 1866.
By Order of Governor Jacob D. Cox
B.R. Cowen
Adjutant General of Ohio

The Motz Cook Grain Co.
Brice, Ohio.,
July 16th, 1931
Dora Carley Plainville, Ks.
     Dear Friend, I herewith return to you the Discharge papers of your‘ father, which you so kindly sent me. I have this day completed my claim for my mother and am returning papers to you. This was certainly a very kind act on your part and I do not suppose I shall ever be in a position where I can be any service to you, but I want you to know that I thank you very much and appreciate very highly your kindness to me. Hoping you may always enjoy health, life, and happiness, I remain Yours very truly,
Orlie M. Cook
     Robinson Andrew (74 yrs.) married Ruth McDanield 1909 d. 65 (b. 1903)3 sons & 2 daughter Mahala - married John Wooly John Robinson - Elizabeth Kasler Lewis Chloe - Elijah Collins Shelton - Lucy ?Sarah (Robinson Andrew) was grandfather of Lee, May, etc. Notes by Gra Carley (Dora May (Andrew) Carley, Grandma Andrew: Mahlon Kasler - Dad Lydia Miner - 3 sons & 3 daughters Mandana Grubb - 3 children Elizabeth Andrew - 12 Hannah -- 1 Nancy - Anist Pearl - Wolf & Linscott - 6 Michael Nathan - 5 Jeduthan Lydia Kittle 3.. Father of Dora May John Robinson Andrew born Jan 1, 1835 died June 16, 1909 Elizabeth Kasler born April 25, 1838 died April 10, 1903 married Mar. 8, 1857 at the brides home Born to the union - 12 children 3 girls died in infancy Nancy died 1880 age 12 years
     By Dora May Andrew Carley Dora May Children of J.R. Andrew Millard Fillmore - Feb. 13, 1858-Mar 23, 1936; six children Angie - May 16, 1860-Jan. 21, 1921; 10 girls Eve Elizabeth - May 13, 1864-April 26, 1865 Shelton Riley - May 24, 1866-Jan 15, 1942˙Nancy Jane - Mar. 13, 1868-Aug. 15, 1880 Cara Mandana - Nov. 27, 1871-Aug. 20, 1924; 10 kids Charles Edward - Mar. 5, 1874-no record Dora May - Nov. 18, 1876-Mar 30, 1947; 4 kids Sarah Ann - April 14, 1881-June 16, 1918; 6 kids Nora Pearl - April 2, 1879, died 1962; 1 son.

wpe1.jpg (29126 bytes)

Charles W. Andrew missing brother of Dora May (Andrew) Carley


Andrew Carley

      Millard Fillmore Andrew, Son of John Robison Andrew


Jess Blackburn

Jess Blackburn, brother in law of Dora May Andrew
Husband of Pearl Andrew


   Andrew Rites are arranged for Wednesday
     Teacher in Cincinnati Schools for Many Years
and at one time assistant superintendent of Cincinnati public schools, will Funeral services for Millard Fillmore Andrew, 78, former school teacher in Cincinnati held in the George H. Rohde & Son’s funeral home, Linwood and Delta avenues, Wednesday at 2 p.m. He died in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Herbert N. West, 2834 Madison road, Hyde Park, late Monday.
     Andrew was a thirty-second degree Mason and a charter member of Hyde Park Symbolic Lodge. Masonic services will be held in the funeral home, Tuesday at 8 p.m. First serving as principal of Cheviot Public School, Andrew later was principal of Linwood Public School for nine years and was assistant superintendent of schools of the city for fourteen months. After serving in the latter position, he was appointed principal of the Twenty-fifth District School and later served in Central Fairmont, Lincoln and Saylor Park Schools.
     He retired from active school work in 1923, but later was head of the department of education. Harrogate University, Tennessee. He had been living in retirement in Clarksville, O., for several years. Burial will be in Spring Grove Cemetery.

Second obituary

Well Known Retired
Educator Succumbs.
M. F. Andrew, well known here died
Monday at home of daughter in
Cincinnati, Funeral There Wednesday.

    M.F. Andrew, 78 years of age. Clarksville, well known educator, died Monday noon at the home of a son-in-law and daughter. Mr. And Mrs. Herbert West, Cincinnati. He had been in failing health for several years and was bedfast for a few weeks at the home of Mr. And Mrs. West where he had go to visit. Another daughter, Mrs. E. E. Mundew, this city, was called to Cincinnati a couple of weeks by the serious conduction of Mr. Andrew.
     Mr. Mundew went to Cincinnati, Tuesday. Funeral services where held in Cincinnati Wednesday at burial was made in a cemetery in that city.
     Born in the Hooper Ridge vicinity. Mr. Andrew went with his parents to the Bailey Run locality when but a small lad of a few years, and grew to young man hood there. He received a common school educate;n in the country school, of Dover Township and later completed a teaching course at The Ohio University, Athens, Ohio. He taught in the schools in southern Ohio and Kentucky in his early days and for many years was connected with the schools in Cincinnati where he was established a reputation as an educator of ability.
     During the World War, Mr. Andrew offered his service to his country and while many years beyond the age requirement, felt that he could be of some service at requested an over seas assignment. In the request, he was turned down, but he was assigned to duty at Camp Meigs, Washington, D. C. where he remained until April 1st. 1919.
     Coming back to the city to visit relatives. Mr. Andrew found the Glouster High School lacking a principal and it seems like none was available. He was finally prevailed enough to help out by accepting the position. After retiring from public school work for all times. Mr. Andrew still had the desire for class rooms work and taught a couple of years at Lincoln Memorial University Harrogate, Tennessee. Completing his work there, he and Mrs. Andrew spent part of their time in this city and for a while established a home here. Later on Mr. And Mrs. Andrew moved to their farm near Clarksville, where they remained until about two years ago when they sold the farm and moved to Clarksville where since made their home.
     For the past number of years, Mr. Andrew was a contributor to the Cluster Press columns. Until his health failed, he contributed a letter weekly giving some of the early history of his boyhood home and the people and of the people of those times. He knew more facts concerning the early history of Hooper Ridge and the Bailey Run vicinity then possible any other man living and his writing were always of interest to the people as they brought by memories of happenings of their life in a entertaining manner. This last article under the heading of Wollop and Jollop, appeared in The Press in the issue of February 13 last.
     Mr. Andrew was twice married and his survived by his second wife, and four children by his first Wendel Andrew, Clarksville. Mrs. E. F. Mundew. This city, Paul Andrew, Wilmington, and Mrs. Herbert West, Cincinnati.

(Received from Dennis Andrew, E Mail 2/14/2001 and transcribed to computer by Clark L. Carley,                                        2/15/2001. Very gratefully to Dennis for this information.)

Addition to above information Foot note Jan 2001

     In December of 1955, Paul, Reva Obrecht ( parents J. W. and Iatan Willey Obrecht) Polly Ann, age 20 months, Francis Paul, Jr., 5 months McAnarney, Charles, Paul's brother, Fredys Tuttle McAnarney, Mary Helen, 5 years, and Bob, 5 months went to Marysville, Ca. to see their sister, Sara McAnarney Fegel, her husband Martin Fegel and their kids.  We took the southern route out of Pratt and had roads closed left and right because of flooding, but we made it to Marysville all right.  We were not in a flooded area, but it was reported that we might have to evacuate.  By radio we heard the report that Earl and Robert Blackburn were drowned in rescue efforts.  I knew that my Great Aunt Pearl Blackburn lived there and supposed that the men were some of her relatives and also mine.
     Comments: Hello! My name is Jill Jackson and I am a descendant of Nora Pearl and Samuel Jesse Blackburn. I am so thrilled to have found you! Your site is absolutely marvelous! My father's name is Millard Blackburn and he was named after Millard Fillmore Andrew. My dad's Grandmother was Pearl Blackburn. I did notice some incorrect information while I was reading. It was Pearl's son and grandson, my dad's father and brother that were killed in the 1955 Yuba City flood. Her son's name was Charles Earl Blackburn and his son's name was Robert Wesley Blackburn. I am so excited to have found a link to our family. Please feel free to email me. I would love to hear from you. Sincerely, Jill M. Jackson

These follow stories are from the many hours of work by GAYLA (Andrew) VINCENT Many Thanks. No spelling or word structure have been changed, as original.
                    Article from The Glouster Press, dated January 31, 1935.

By M. F. Andrew
Clarksville, Ohio

     The preacher of whom I wrote Rev. P. B. Davis, who lived in Mt. Sterling, became very much interested in me and suggested that I apply for the grammar school in that town, but I was not anxious about it-in fact was hill-minded so wanted to go in another direction. He finally presented my name to the board and I was tendered the position. I was planning to marry, so wanted to go among strangers and declined the place.
     In going over the old State School Report I settled on three villages in Scioto county – Wheelersburg, Sciotoville and Lucasville and wrote to the clerk of the board in each case enclosing a self-addressed, stamped envelope. I knew little of these towns, except that Fletcher Coultrap began his career in the former and that a few years before I had been stranded Christmas Day – icebound – and for twenty-five cents had gotten a fine turkey dinner in the second – the Marshall House, but I knew nothing of the latter place.
     From the first two towns I had not reply, but had a letter from Isaac Newton Johnson, a farmer, clerk of the board saying that they were on the lookout for a township superintendent. They wanted a man that could teach all the languages, but they would not employ a man with out seeing the applicant. He gave full directions as to how I should come and directed me to Dr. J. B. Warwick, president of the board.
     I did not worry about the qualifications, as I knew Harvey’s English Grammar from cover o cover, could translate "Finem dedit ore loquendi," "Sic Semper Tyrannus," knew a little bit of German, knew both the Greek and German Alphabets and some other short quotations. I took a chance and went to see Dr. Warwick. I found him to be a jolly, jovial country doctor who knew everybody by their first name and met people with a greeting that would cure most complaints.
     He drove a couple of small black ponies all over the country up hill and down from the river, most of it was up. He invited me to a seat in the little old open buggy with the remark, "We’ll go down and see Ab Marsh." We found him at home as one usually did on a splendid old one thousand acre farm well equipped with good implements, but later proved to have been covered with a mortgage that smothered it. I found him to be a suave nice old gentleman cut deferring all the time to the doctor. When we got back to town we drove up to see my other farmer friend, the clerk of the board and after a very pleasant chat the doctor said it was not necessary for me to see the other two members as they would be all right anyhow.
     In a few days I had a letter from the clerk saying that I had been unanimously elected to the position for the following year. When my school closed in June I went to Lucasville for two or more days to get the lay of the land that I might make some plans about the work for which no one seemed to know anything.
     I realize that my story is more and more taking on the nature of an autobiography when I had not intended it as such but if my readers will bear with me for a little time I will make some changes in my subjects. I think I have said some place along the way that the man who talks about himself is a he-gotist.
     The world is a small place after all and if one goes about a little he will be sure to bump into someone who has traveled the same road. When I got to Lucasville and started my survey I found a man on the Board by name of Samuel Luckett, who had formerly lived in Athens, county. Since I have retired only four or five years ago I visited in Amesville one afternoon. I spend an hour in the school, where I found a Miss Luckett teaching, who was a daughter of that same Sam Luckett. She had her early schooling in Valley township, Scioto county.
     Valley township was small but quite wealthy and in those days never worried about its finances. The school had been in existence long years before my time. Superintendents had come and gone, but non of them had done any more than get the older pupils of the community in the upper room, in the high school, and teach them the subjects they like to present, then move on giving no thought to the other children of the district. There had been no classification, no records kept – at least I could find none, so I was left to work it all out.
     On my summer visit with Dr. Warwick I discovered that he was not only the president of the board of education, but he was THE board of education. He gave me to understand that I was the township superintendent with a free hand to work out a course of study that would put all the sub-districts in line for a tie-up with the high school, so the pupils entering the school would see the end from the beginning and have some notion of where they were going.
     I went home with a bee in my bonnet doing such buzzing as there had never been done before. There were no traditions – no precedents from which to copy – it was just a free, open field into which I had wandered with my eyes open. (To be continued)

Article from The Glouster Press, dated February 14, 1935. Continuation from article published January 31, 1935.

By M. F. Andrew

Clarksville, Ohio


     After staying in the village for a day or two getting such information as was at hand, I went hone for the summer with a skeleton in my brain about which I wanted to build my castle. At that time I had seen but one written course of study and that was for the village of Zaleski and it had moss on when it fell into my hands, so I received no help from that source.
     I spent six weeks or more mulling over my problem never writing a word or saying a thing to anyone yet sleeping or waling my job was still with me. I had borrowed for my schooling and had gone in debt for a small property so with these liabilities hanging over me fearly in August I was married to Miss Melissa Ogden Busic, a former pupil of mine, and we went to Lucasville that afternoon to establish a home and begin life together. I had met Miss Busic at a Sunday school picnic three years before and I suppose it was a case of love at first sight, at least for the seventeen years we lived together we continued to think so-then she was taken from me.
     I spent the remainder of that August seeing some of my teachers meeting my patrons and calling together the other children of the district, to make tentative classifications and assignments. By the time we were ready to open school in September I had at least pretty clearly in mind what I wanted to do. I still had refrained from putting anything in black and white-my plans were under my hat.
     On the first Monday in September, 1885, when the school bell rang there appeared in the high school (upstairs) about thirty-five pupils and conditions were such that they must be held there. There was but one move to make, and that was to consolidate, commence building from the top downward. I still had nothing on paper but I was spending hours collecting, classifying and shaping building toward a three year high school course all to be done by one teacher.
     Just when I got things running I began to get in touch with the people of the township and with the teachers of the sub-districts many of whom had to be converted to a new method of procedure. Things had always been that way and they had gotten along, so what was the need of change? Before school closed in the spring I had arranged for a summer term of ten weeks subscription hoping to have the attendance of many advanced pupils in and around the township, but did not succeed in interesting a large group. However, I continued with my work for the specified term.
     I engaged the services of the Hon. John Ogden for a week. Mr. Ogden had been an active and enthusiastic school man in many parts of Ohio, though advancing in years he put into all his work the spirit of youth, so did us a good service. I paid him twenty-five dollars for his work but never at any time bought so much value for so little money. At that time but one pupil from that community had ever gone to college and he had been sent home.
     From the beginning I became a missionary, advocating more education. I found in the main a very high grade of intelligence among the youngsters and a patronage that was financially able to send its progeny to school. I never lost an opportunity to advise a college education and as was commonly true the best students came from humble homes, hard working people. I wonder sometimes that people bore with my preaching and did not case me out.
     After my first year’s work some of the more advanced students began taking the county examination preparing for teaching. They not only took them, but passed them and went into the country schools and taught. I insisted on neatness in written work. Two candidates from our school went into an adjoining county and the examiners complimented them openly on the appearance of their manuscripts and wrote me of their work. The story is too long, so I must hasten.
     By the end of the first year I had my material collected and arranged for our course of study. At my suggestion, the board adopted the course and we started on the second year with flying colors, but we yet had one drawback.. IN those days it was the ambition of most young men and women in the southern counties of Ohio to teach school, and our community was no exception to the rule.
     At the close of the third year we had a number of youngsters out teaching in the country and but two girls who had completed the work and were ready for graduation. Our first commencement was a gala day in Lucasville and will long be remembered by some people, at least by those who participated. With an interesting program of music and recitations, with a full and enthusiastic house Dr. John Hancock, then superintendent of Chillicothe schools, afterward State Commissioner of Schools, came down and made the address. Miss Emma Thomas and Miss Genevieve Marsh were the graduates. Miss Thomas afterward went to Ohio Wesleyan University, graduated, met Frank McConnell who later became a Methodist preacher, married him, and his is now a distinguished bishop of that church. They have traveled widely – have seen the world, have each made a record in church work. They have reared a brilliant family. Miss Marsh married a neighbor boy, a farmer, reared a large family, educated them and they today are the staunch citizens of that community.
     Frank Appel who had of necessity gone out to teach school but had kept up his studies through it all, at my suggestion was granted by the board a diploma of like date with the two girls. He went on to college, …………..and the rest was unreadable.

                             Article from The Glouster Press, dated January 2, 1936.

By M. F. Andrew

Clarksville, Ohio.


Dearly Beloved:

     I have seemingly been on a long vacation. I am now back again whether or not it pleases you is a question in my mind, but to me I am glad to have the comeback. I do not promise to come every week or in any manner to be a regular correspondent. But occasionally when the spirit moves me and there is something on my mind that I would like to poor out and that you are willing to hear I will come back and will be exceedingly glad to be in touch with you.
     I am sure no one appreciates ore than I do the many friendships of people in those hills. For fifty years and more I have been in touch with the newspapers of the county and from editors and readers I have had the most courteous consideration. Of course I can’t expect to run another fifty years, but during the time I am here I beg that you will be patient with me and give me a hearing. Sometimes, I may have nothing to offer but something foolish, rambling, but sometime something may come to mind that is worth recording. At such time, I hope you will listen in.
M. F. Andrew
     I once had a book the title of which was "Lincoln and North Carolina" in which the author proved to his own satisfaction that Abe Lincoln was illegitimate and his real name was Enlow. Someone borrowed that book and never returned it, so I am short another volumn.
     I read religiously the Western Christian Advocate an some days ago I read in a discussion between two preachers concerning the legitimacy of Nancy Hanks – why this waste of time? At this last date nothing can be done about it.
     In that long ago Anglo Saxon trek from Pennsylvania down into Tennessee some of my ancestors became infatuated with members of the Hanks family and we called some members of the Hanks family of the next generation cousin, and when I was a small boy it was not an uncommon thing for a couple of the Hanks youngsters when winter came to come in and camp on their poor relations for a month or more.
     I once had an uncle names Enlow-he was a blacksmith and his given name was Abe and the people whose horses he shod called him "Honest Abe." I think our kinship with the Hanks family must have been on my grandmother’s side of the house, for when any of them came to visit they hung out with her or her brother Aaron. Grandmother was Ruth McDaniel, but was early left a widow with a family of young children. I visited the graves of my grandparents last June along the west side of the old Concord burying ground.

                                                     Robinson Andrew 1846
                                                                            Ruth Andrew 1892

     None of their children are living and I am the oldest grandchild, also the oldest of a large family. I have one brother living in Kansas, one in Missouri, one sister in Missouri and one in California. There are some other grandchildren scattered over Ohio, but I cannot locate even one.
     I have not been out of the house today, but am sitting at the south window looking out on a very beautiful snow covered earth that reminds me of two others that set out as milestones along the way.
     The first one carried me back to the Kasler schoolhouse down on Federal where I taught my first school in the winter of ’78 and ’79. Standing on the hill above was the Beasley home from which came Will, Frank, Lou and Nellie – all of whom have gone to their reward. What a place that was and it stands as clearly today as it did then. I think I could call the roll without the register from Gus Linscott to the last Carpenter boy.
     The other place was that ___ long, windy Oregon Ridge where I taught the winter of ’79 and ’80, where the snow piled up even with the _____________unreadable from here on………sorry.

Article from The Glouster Press, dated February 21, 1935. The name of the column was "Pickups" and he had subheadings as they related to the topic he was talking about.

By M. F. Andrew
Clarksville, Ohio

                                                    AN OLD GROCERY STORE

     When I was a boy we often bought our groceries at a little country store that stood about half way between Truetown and Millfield owned and keep by an old Englishman, Charley Southerton, who for some reason had dropped down and had become a fixture. As I pass that way sometimes, I try to locate the exact spot where he hung out, but have never been able to do so.
     The old gentleman not only sold groceries and notions but he kept on sale and often sold it, spirits fermenti, when men got gloriously drunk and settled all their differences with knocks and gougings-but I never saw a fight there-but I often saw indications, but was not brave enough: was always up and away before developments. Two things I could never figure out-why this man located in this out of the way place and why we went there to trade for we did not spend any money for whiskey and that was his chief stock in trade.
     I am almost certain, not quite sure, that I sometimes carried a basket of eggs or roll of butter for barter. But Cauncey and Millfield were as near. It was a hangout for raw young men who came here from England to make this the land of their adoption especially those who came from his part of the kingdom. He was a jovial, jolly old soul if any of them should grow homesick and want to shed tears he was ready to lend a shoulder.
     I think I could name a dozen young men who at one time or another made this home their stopping place. If he had any sons, I knew nothing of them, but there were several daughters one of whom married Tobias Boudinot and an another married Mordcai Andrew, uncle of the late Mason Andrew and my father. My father always omitted the s from his name, while the others of the family used it. Some years before L. R.’s death he had occasion to go to Pennsylvania to inspect some legal documents concerning an estate and he told me that all of them were without the s-singular.
     The youngest daughter bore the name Victoria, the good queen of her time. I recall that she, her father and his grandson Robert Andrew came to our house one Sunday and spent the day there. I don’t remember to have seen any of them after that. These young English lads that hung out with this good natured old man delighted to tease him and he took it all good naturedly. I recall a time when some of these went down to Kings dam fishing. One the way back they climbed into a wagon with a farmer named Bob Fish and they persuaded him to get down out of sight. The old gentleman began to quiz them about the catch and they told him about one big fish inviting him to view it. When he climbed up and looked he exclaimed, "Gars! He be Bob Fish" to the great amusement of the crown.


    Some time before the Civil War or about its beginning there came to our community two men by the name of Goin. Tom and perhaps Eli, I am not quite sure about the latter’s name. The only thing I can recall is that the elder of the two was a much darker skinned man than the younger. I do not know just where they lived but they must have been within hailing distance of Hooper Ridge, for the farmers thereabouts used to summon them on short notice to work a day for them or to do odd jobs. These men came from Tennessee in the territory south of Cumberland Gap and had been slaves talking, of course, the name of their master. In 1921-1926 inclusive, I spent the time in the mountains of Tennessee. During these months I made many trips to this same territory, visiting schools. One day I went with the County Superintendent down into the Powell Valley and drove west into the mountains to visit a school held in a church set back in an old burying ground. This burying ground was on the plantation of a wealthy slave holder by the name of Goin, who with, perhaps four or five consorts was buried here-the grave of each appropriately marked with a granite suitably inscribed. I tried to put two and two together and say that I had located the former home of the Athens County Goins. This would be all right in the modern novel, so I am dropping it here as truth. I do not know anything of their later lives whether or not they left any progeny in the county. In the main they were good citizens and were a credit to the race. While they were generally supposed to be honest men, you could not always depend on their word especially when they promised to come and do a days work. This much-married slave master was rated as a good man and a kind master long since gone to his reward.


    More than sixty years ago there went about over a group of townships in Athens County a man whose name was Increase Byland, who peddled whetstones and other little trinkets that were useful and handy in the home. He traveled on foot and left where night found him taking his meals wherever he could persuade the woman of the house to serve him. It was before we knew anything of tramps and hoboes; he was of a little higher class, so we called him a peddler. Peter Hixon was at that time perhaps the wealthiest man in Ames Township – maybe in the county. One night Increase stayed with the Hixons and had breakfast the next morning. He told someone the bill of fare, said it was biscakes, sugartree molasses and store coffee. These were the days when people parched rye and other grains as a substitute for coffee. He did not often find a stopping place where food  was son plentiful. Increase was a harmless old soul with many quaint sayings and practices. On the northern side of the county, on Green’s Run or Bethel Ridge, lived a sort of joking old fellow by the name of Freedom Ogg. One day the peddler appeared at Ogg’s house with his wares and, to have some fun with him, he pretended to be in bad humor and have some grudge against peddlers in general, so he put on a fake fight with the old fellow and got far the worst of the bargain. He came near tearing Freedom’s coat from his back and after it was all over agreed to shake hands and call it a draw. But Increase in an attempt to express his feeling in the matter said, "Mr. Ogg, I am sorry I’ve teared your coat, but I don’t give a damn!"

Article from The Glouster Press, dated March 28, 1935. The name of the column was "Pickups" and he had                                         subheadings as they related to the topic he was talking about."

By M. F. Andrew
Clarksville, Ohio

     "Only God can make a tree." "Large trees from little acorns grow large streams from little fountains flow."
      In the days of which I wrote last week, the American people did not give much thought to either the trees or the stream but after a half century or more we are awakened to the fact that we must do something and do it soon or perish. The trees are gone and the streams are out of control. We are spending millions of money in flood control and talking a mountful about conservation of forests.
     "One swallow does not make a sum," and what has been done in our camps will hardly justify one in reaching a conclusion as to tree planting. I realize that the last year has been a bad one for transplanting trees, but if the work done in all camps is on a par with that done at Fort Ancient, it has been a bad job. We have been spraying religiously and often our fruit orchards for years against disease and insets, but have paid little attention to our forests and groves till many of them are gone.
     It is reported that 37,000 elms were destroyed last year in the state of New York. Ohio suffered greatly-perhaps most in the loss of its chestnut orchards and groves. Sixty years and more ago, there stood on the east bank of Monday Creek just below Doanville in Athens County quite a grove of chestnut trees, fifty or sixty feet in height. They were great bearers and people came from miles about the country to gather the nuts. I think I have not been there in all these years-so these trees may have succumbed to disease and insets. Some good soul in the years gone by may have planted these trees. Just a little east of this grove stood a wild cucumber, a tree of the magnolia family. Its flowers were oblong, bellshaped, grayish yellow. The fruit was a cone two or three inches long. Another one stood on the Austin Tru farm on Sunday Creek. There were some others stood round about for my grandfather and his cronies would gather this cone fruit and put it in _________ or either chills or ________both. I never knew how these beautiful magnolias came there. If some inquisitive youth in Athens County would start out to learn about some of the secrets of that community, he would find a rich field.
     Ten years ago when I first began driving one could stop many places along Route 124 east of Sinking Springs till you got to Jasper, Ohio, and replenish his basket or bag with nuts in the chestnut season; but a stop now would be a waste of time. The same is true as you travel from Jackson, Ohio to Logan over Route 75, after you pass McArthur going north, great trees loaded with fine nuts, but the destroyer has been there and got in his work, while we have occasionally helped him out with an ax.
     I stood a few years ago in a fine forest on the eastern shores of Maryland where a sawmill was busy cutting out the lumber from trees ranging from ten to fifteen inches in diameter. I was told by old men that at the opening of the Civil War this same ground was covered with a heavy forest. Early in the war a desperate battle was fought here in which the timber, nearly all heavy oak, was all destroyed, but immediately the ground was covered with young pine, and that was the crop then being harvested. (Believe it or not).
     I was in Pike County, Ohio, just a few weeks ago and men were in the woods with tools, oxen and sawmills going over the same ground they were forty-seven years ago when I went down there the first time, but the timber is a saplings compared with the first clippings. As our hills are being denuded and so much of our lands will be waste spots, what step are we taking to replenish the earth? I have shown by two examples how short a time it might be to replace a forest. Why are we not up and at it? But we should use in replanting a different kind of tree from the one we have lost. It would be a bit of foolishness to go on planting elms, chestnut, soft maple and many other trees that have been destroyed by like kind. Some sort of study at least should be given to what shall grow in our groves, lanes, lawns and the spots that we wish to beautify.
     A dozen years ago I spent several months in California and naturally gave some attention to their shade trees. About one tree in particular I made inquiry, it is the Gingko, sometimes called the old English yew tree. Botanists tell us they don ot know its native habitat, but that it come to us from Asia by way of Europe. Next week, if all goes well, I will give a full account of what I have learned of this tree hoping that someone will be enough interested to try it out.

                                Article from The Glouster Press, dated July 18, 1935

By M. F. Andrew

Clarksville, Ohio

     Some of you no doubt remember when the territory of the John Dew farm was labeled Bessemer and in the basement of one of the early buildings O. D. Jackson conducted a general store. Later Mr. Jackson became one of Sunday Creeks operators and was the founder of Jacksonville. Passing on through Bessemer part of the town, I was prepared to look upon Buchtel as it was in the late seventies and early eighties of the last century-but most of it is gone never to be replaced, but in my cock-sureness I could go straight to the Snow Fork ford and the Bailey Run road.
     I was thinking of the ford of sixty years ago when the creek bank full had to be crossed by getting astride Buck, my near ox, and swimming him to the other shore. The ford was not there, so I missed the crossing and found myself near the Cap Coe farm approaching Orbiston, so there was nothing for me to do but retrace my way and find the crossing. Instead of a ford there was an up to date concrete bridge where one could cross dry shod-but where was the half stone house in which lived Jess Drake and his promising family?
     And what has become of the members of the Koons family at the foot of the hill with the barn above the road where we youngsters were wont to romp and play hide and seek; all gone, only a hazy memory. How we dreaded that long hill when we came to its beginning after a long drive to town with a heavy load of bark or banktracking, with still two miles to go for dinner, but how different now the driver put his foot on the pedal and in three minutes we had negotiated (new word) or a new meaning all the curves and we were at the top of hill.
     Could we go back three score years and resurrect those four lively steers, I wonder what reaction the gas engine would have on them. I did not go down to the old place, did not want to go, but in ten minutes we were through the plains by the old peach orchard over the old corduroy roadway and down the hill, but the corduroy road is gone.
     I am soon pointing out the home of one time residents, two or three of whom are staying yet – the two great coal mines – Modoc and Drydock. It was of interest to my young granddaughter to look upon the schoolhouse, still standing but now a residence, where in 1880 I laid down the rod of correction and emigrated to other fields for long service. My old boarding place fell in a sinkhole, but it has been replaced and is occupied by a member of the same family. In a sense this is a sort of chain letter, but I am not putting a price on it, just sitting here on the porch recording happenings as they come to me in a sort of orderly way.
     As I write of Green’s Run many faces come before me of the Sprague boys, two Tinker boys, the Davis girls, Mamie and Effie. Some of these were transfers from Oregon who had been in my classes the winter before. I never can forget the good Mrs. Daniels and her family. I had just come out of a real case of measles, but with Dr. Danford (Harve) to tell me stories to cheer me on my way and Mrs. Daniel’s daily food to put m e on my feet for a good long race.
     Twenty years or more ago when I commenced going to Glouster it took the greater part of a day to make the trip get up in the early morning and hustle about to catch a train over the C&MC road; go to New Lexington then south or rush over to Blanchester where we could get the B&OSW for Athens and then north either way we could get into town late in the evening, tired, cross eyes full of cinders in bad humor, in not shape to visit or converse. Here we are in June, 1935, only a little more than two hours from home leaving Green’s Run for Rout e13 and in ten minutes we are unloading in Glouster, perfectly sweet, nobody tired or complaining ready for that good dinner of fried chicken and the fixings that go with it. If I live to be eighty years old, some day I will summon a plane and to Glouster in style. I will notify Jack where I am landing so he can meet me.
     I did not see much of Glouster nor many of its people. As the boys would say, "My dogs are not as good as they once were", so I could not go about as I once could. Brother Anderson took me over to Masonic Lodge where I always get the glad hand. If churches were always as ready with their greetings there would not be so few empty pews. This is not a knock at anybody, but just a plain bit of truth. Sunday morning I went to Sunday school and sat in Broher Yaw’s class and found them traveling in the same paths discussing the same old topics they were in 1919 and 1920. It does seem to me that in twenty years we should be able to throw some different light on some questions, at least learn some new songs-still this is not a kick, just a suggestion. When things cease to grow, they begin to die. Next week, I hope to get to the Silent Cities.

                                 Article from The Glouster Press, dated July 25, 1935.

Silent Cities
By M. F. Andrew
Clarksville, Ohio


     From my youth up I have formed certain habits to which I shall cling religiously and in which I will continue as long as life shall last. One of these is the habit of visiting old cemeteries, burying grounds or graveyards as they were commonly called. I regret now that I have not kept a list of the many peculiar inscriptions I have found in different parts of the country.
     Go down in the southern states and search our pre-war graveyards where master and slaves are buried and find what may be said of the deceased body laid away in anticipation of resurrection. On Monday, June 17, of this year I found myself in Millfield spending the day with Mr. and Mrs. James Love and to you who have never put your feet under Mrs. Loves table at the noon hour, a newspaper write-up would be of little avail, but I survived it to tell the story.
     After dinner I went across-lots to spend an hour with my good friend Dr. Andrew J. Learned who I suppose is the oldest ex-teacher I the county. He will be ninety-two years of age in a ________and while his sight is gone he is keen and alert and has a remarkable memory. He serve in the Civil War and has the reputation of having taught thirteen schools months in one year. I think this is the first year he has ever missed attendance at the G.A.R. meeting. Dr. Learned graduated at Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati about 1875 and has had a long and successful practice. Such friendships as that of the doctor make life worth living. When I have talked with the doctor I always have a new hunch on life. He always tells me things of his college days and of his old professors, all of whom are gone.
     When I finished this talk I recalled the fact that other old friends, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Brookins, still lived in town and that I must call on them. Mr. B was in school with me more than seventy years ago in the little old schoolhouse in the hillside. Mrs. Brookins was "Miss Lydia" Howard, daughter of Peter and Mary Howard. These people, too, are getting along in years and are quite frail.
     When the afternoon was well along and we had had supper, Mrs. Carpenter, daughter of the Loves, who was there visiting from Cleveland, proposed to drive us over the hills and said I should direct the trip. From the village we pointed due east over the old creek bridge through the Pratt farm, East Millfield by the Osmer Linscott home leaving mine No. 6 to the right, spinning to the face of the hill we turned square to the left through the Martin Leonard farm-by the James Howard farm – up the steep banked hill by the Brown schoolhouse and finally to the Nelson Brown home on the west end of which during Civil War times a large United States flag was painted that remained during my boyhood and early childhood days. But that is another story that I have no doubt told before today______________and its owner has long since returned to dust.
     I have traveled this long road to Concord only to find that the road is ___________and enters the ______somewhat different ______at the grave of my grandfather Robinson Andrew who has been ________in that sot since 1846. Early in the 30’s of the last century ____married up in Pennsylvania____Ruth McDaniel and they came to Ohio to establish a home and rear ___________and when there wee six children grandfather died of typhoid fever. With the exception of the youngest son they all lived and came to maturity. Grandmother lived until ________was buried by his side.
I presume this has been a burying ground for more than a century. Thanks to a government project, the grounds are kept in good condition in that _________a beautiful cemetery. I visited the graves of two of my boyhood teachers – one Theodore Headley who always came before his classes with a happy eye and winning smile, who disciplined without realization. Not far away from his grave in the _________of the Carter family was laid J. M. (unsure if these initials are correct) Carter one of the fine teachers who came from Homer Township that community that supplied the surrounding country with teachers, lawyers, doctors and an occasional preacher.
     My wife called attention to a headstone with the inscription Corporal Lewis Andrew and named his company and regiment. He was a brother to my father. By his side was a new made grave that reminded to too that Aunt Jane was gone and again Lewis reminded by three small graves of the ravages of diphtheria in the family long years ago. Just a short distance away was the tomb of J. C. Headley who for years was a frequent guest in our home and oh how he could sing! Near by was the tomb where rested the ashes of Mrs. Elizabeth Carter Hambleton whose husband’s body had been cremated in Cincinnati and at his request I had gone by moonlight and standing on the suspension bridge had scattered the ashes to the four winds. Off in the north-east corner stands the monument of Adda Linscott Kempton, and so I might go on but I must forbear and go on to Hooper Ridge, where many more of my friends and relative are sleeping.
     I wish someone would write a sketch of Hooper Ridge-tell what it is, why it is, where it is and where it begins. It is nearly as much of a query to me as how long is a string? Tell about that old church, when it was build and how.
     I went out there and stood at the graves of my great grandparents, my grandparents, my uncles, aunts, cousins and other relatives. I have one sister there, but I cannot locate the grave. The physical condition of this cemetery is a disgrace to the community that patronizes it. Somebody should wake up some day with an inspiration to make such a fine ground beautiful. In these two silent cities and the one at Chauncey are the mortal remains of most friends that I have known and loved. At the present time Concord is a beauty-spot, Hooper Ridge is a wilderness and the Nye cemetery needs a thorough renovation.


Page 2 of the Andrews Story

HOME Carley Family Tree Andrew Family Index of Surnames
History-The Grand Army of the Republic Francis Ann's Letters Burdue Family Misc. Surnames Index
The Lott Diary Francis Ann's Descendants Daigh Family Surname Index  (PFlowers)
Lott Medical Leroy (Lee) Carley Dunn's of Kentucky-Kansas  
Lott Pension Mini Carley Book (partial) Evelyn Lavon Goodwin  
Our Civil War Trip Opal Carley Hoagland Story  
The Clark Carley Story Memorial Service for Opal Fern Carley Autobiography of Georgia Perine  
My Son Warren Richard Leroy Carley Stith Family  
My Favorite Poem Dust Storms Obituaries  
My Favorite Links Gravelly Springs More Documents State Home Pages

Sign My Guestbook | View My Guestbook

This site was last updated  Saturday, March 05, 2005

Copyright © 1998 - 2005 All rights reserved
All documents and photos Copyright © by Clark L. Carley. 
This site was created by Clark L. Carley

Billye D. Jackson, Webmaster
Have a NICE DAY!