CARLEY_EVEL_HIGH1.jpg (9149 bytes)
High School Graduation photograph 1949


Evelyn Lavon (Carley) Goodwin

By Opal Fern (Burdue) Carley 1984

Daughter, second child of five children.

Married to Robert "Bob" Goodwin, Nov. 1950

Her ashes were scattered at Holy Ghost Camp Grounds,
Santa Fe National Forest, New Mexico
Here for Map

Evelyn was scheduled to arrive at St. Anthony's Hospital on Memorial Day, 1931. The Coast visited the Carleys that day. Bowlands. For awhile, Opal thought that was going to be the case, but didn't want to tell the visitors to leave. But that was the last heard from Evelyn until July 4th. "Granny" (Edna Burdue) came to be on hand for the event and after three weeks, she began to wonder if that large "tumor" was really a baby! It was a 9-3/4 pound girl who looked like she was 6 weeks old. The first time her mother saw her was in the arms of a nun who was showing her off as she took her down the hall. Her long dark hair had been nicely curled on the top of her head and the long fingernails had been trimmed. Soon after July 4th, it became very hot. There was no way of cooling buildings then. The first thing done when the baby got home was to cut her hair which was causing heat rash on her neck! At a year, she weighed 21 pounds and was a dainty little girl. Just before Kenneth was born in l933. Evelyn broke out with Scarlet Fever which was a surprise! Charles Tracy, who lived with the family and helped with the newspapers and Leroy (Dad) moved to the Gill's basement as in those days people with those diseases were quarantined until released by their doctor. The house had to be fumigated and everything possible was washed and sunned. Opal and the children spent that day at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Swires, their landlord's home. A neighbor lady did the washing, which was put in a tub of Lysol and water on the back porch. It was winter and washing was not an easy chore! They were washed on a washboard with homemade lye soap and dried on the clothes line. Usually in winter, they froze dry eventually. Aunt Nola's (Mothers sister) children had had Scarlet Fever, but the Carley children had no contact with them until three months later. A week after quarantine was lifted, Kenneth was born!

When Evelyn was eleven months old, her mother made her a dress out of a scrap of white eyelet embroidery. In church about that time she sat on her mother's lap. An elderly couple across the aisle kept looking at her. At the end of the service, they came over and touched her. Mrs. Speer said, "We just wanted to see if she was real." Then they admired her dark finger curls.

She went to kindergarten at Picken School on the college campus. Mrs. Golden of the faculty there was her teacher. She was assisted by students in the education department who wanted to be primary teachers. When the college had to have those rooms, she went to Washington School.

When the Carleys lived on W. 12th St., her (Lee) father picked up a paper sack in the street. It contained a partly made yellow check dress just her size! Her mother (Opal) finished it. There are some pictures of her with her doll in that dress. About that time Aunt Mary made her a blue sailor dress trimmed in white braid. At that time, little girls wore tiny felt berets. Here’s was black. She was always interested in her appearance.

While the family lived on 12th street, Evelyn's clothes began to disappear out of the hamper in the bathroom. Finally, Lee took a board out of the floor and there were the clothes or parts of them. We had a pack rat! She had another calamity there later. There was a tall cupboard in a corner of the kitchen. She wanted something on the top shelf, so she started to climb the shelves and turned the cupboard over on top of her! It made a big mess! The pepper was the biggest problem. It was everywhere!

In the lower grades, Evelyn gained a lifetime friend, Mary Lou Robbers, later Rorabaugh. She was the adopted daughter of Olabelle and Jess Roberts. One day, she asked her mother, "what's adopted". Mary Lou had been telling her story in a very pleasant way. Many years later when her parents visited her in Arizona, they were taken to visit Mary Lou, her family and her father at Globe, Arizona.

Evelyn and Mary Lou took tap dancing lessons and tumbling lessons which were given with all kinds of dancing lessons. Mary Lou had lots of extra joints, but Evelyn was very good at the dancing. She got to dance in school programs, too. One time she was blacked with Shingle paste shoe polish two nights in a row! Face, arms and legs were blacked. The tune was "Way Down Upon The Swanee River." Sony Gill (Glenn Milton) was her boyfriend and he had a black face. The black was removed with a cheap cold cream then, lots of soap and water. They had fun. She and her cousin Milton were good friends always.

CARLEY EVEL.tap2.jpg (27504 bytes)
Evelyn Carley

Carley evelyn NM.jpg (7972 bytes)
Picture taken in NM.
with Ken and Shirley Carley

Carley evelyn tap.jpg (66941 bytes)
Evelyn at age 7-8?

She belonged to Girl Scouts and began sewing at that time. As a Scout project, she made a pink cotton blouse to wear to school. She was a 4th grader at Washington School. She had made doll clothes. People were appalled that she used her mother's good sewing machine! She, like Granny, had a special talent for sewing. She learned to knit as a child with the help of her mother who couldn't knit, and the World Book.

When she was 6 years old, "Gra" Carley crocheted her a yellow Easter dress with brown wool daisies on the yoke. When she outgrew it, it was passed on to a smaller girl. When she was 6 or 7, her Grandpa Burdue (Clark E.) complained that her legs looked like toothpicks.

When Evelyn was ten, Curtis was born. The next day at school, Miss Beesley asked her about the new baby and she replied through tears, "It's another old boy." She had wanted a sister. But soon she adjusted to the situation and she nearly took over the care of Curtis. Neighbors were shocked that she and a girl, Wanell,,,,, who lived at 419 W. 4th used him as their doll. He had the best of care. He spent some time in an apple box under a big tree.

When Evelyn was nine or ten, Opal took a group of children to a carnival, which was north of town as it was at that time. On the way home after dark, the kids in the back seat were noisy and boisterous. Opal told them to sit down, but Evelyn kept things going. She was warned that she'd be put out if she didn't behave. That didn't help, so the car was stopped and she very unwillingly got out to walk home. Opal drove on, keeping Evelyn in sight, and later picked up the subdued child.

Soon after the family moved to W. 4th St.. Clark, Evelyn and Kenneth took piano lessons from Mrs. Elver Schlegel on east Fourth Street at 25c a lesson. After trying to get the boys to practice with little response, the boy's lessons were discontinued. Getting Evelyn to practice was never a problem. She took care of that and continued lessons until she was l6 and thought she was too old. She continued an interest in her music all her life and always had a piano. She had to give up teaching Bob to play the piano. (Her husband) practice either!

At the finish of sixth grade, all went to the High School building on west 12th St. for Junior High. That is where Evelyn and Bobby Lee Goodwin met. Bobbie was "sack boy" at I.G.A. grocery, so Evelyn always wanted to go along to get food and visit with Bobbie. Bob was tall and skinny with reddish hair and freckles and had been very cross-eyed since the age of five when he was in an accident. At fifteen, Bob had surgery to straighten his eyes, but his poor vision remained. When he returned from Wichita, friends brought him to see Evelyn.

From seventh grade on, Evelyn and Bob were always together, though they had a lot of pressure from their families to date others. When they were Junior in High School, Bob asked his mother to help with cooking for the Junior-Senior banquet. She said, "I will if you'll introduce me to Evelyn's mother!" He did. At one time, his parents asked him if the Carleys didn't get tired of his always being underfoot? Evelyn asked her mother if she didn't know why she always went with Bob. She said, "He is the only gentleman I know!" She had no more pressure from her family!

Evelyn was a good student and also took part in many activities, including work in the First Presbyterian Church. At school, she took singing lessons from the music director9r, C. Thomas Barr, and took part in musical affairs and also in athletic programs and school entertainment’s, such as dances. One year at a Sadie Hawkins dance suggested by the Little Abner cartoons, they went as Hillbillies with Curtis and JoNelle as their children. They won the engraved aluminum cup and had lots of fun. Mr. and Mrs. Claire Ingram went with Mrs. Carley to watch and to take care of the little "kids".

Evelyn went to "Girls' State" as a junior. This is an organization sponsored by the American Legion to teach government. She was also a state officer in Rainbow Girls, sponsored by the Masonic Lodge.

When Evelyn and Bob were seniors, Cora Carley Hoagland suggested to Opal that she start a scrapbook of her children’s' activities which she did. Her five scrapbooks also contain articles and pictures of neighbor children, nephews and nieces and special events.

Betty Read and Evelyn often played football in the graveled street with the many boys in the block. Evelyn forever had to have the gravel picked out of her knees to prevent infections. One of the Laiz ''''girls took part also. There was a good supply of boys, probably 17 of them. As Isadore Schmidt recalled in l982, the boys would get in a fight and vow never to play again and in two hours were again the best of friends.

Bob played football as did his brothers Jerry and Duane. When the cadets (TMP) and Hays High played, it was a big affair and anything could happen. They were mortal enemies. The time came when they did not play each other. A student of either school did not often try to go home alone on game day, but later they decided to play each other and though they are rivals, they got along well. It is no longer a military school(TMP-Marian High).

At that time, a girl who wanted to be "in" wore her Dad's old white shirt with sleeves rolled baggy jeans and saddle oxfords! It was not permitted that the shoes be cleaned. Evelyn was never allowed more than one pair of jeans, so that she couldn't wear them all the time. A little girl in a big man's shirt was a sight to behold! They also wore bobby socks, usually white.

Evelyn traveled with a clique of 13 girls. On her birthday, she had a party with 4th of July decorations. A party was planned as usual in 1945, but that was the day JoNelle decided to arrive. Evelyn was instructed to go ahead as planned, as that would give her something to do. That was her 14th birthday.

For the next several birthdays, the girls celebrated together. The year that JoNelle was one year old, Evelyn's thirteen friends stayed the night on a pallet the length of the living room. They spent most of the night warning each other not to wake the baby! Each year, Evelyn made them dresses alike. The first year they had black and whited checked sundresses and the nest year they were white. One year, there was a dress for Mother, too. During the afternoon of JoNelle's first birthday, the girls spent lots of time trying to get her to walk. She walked the next day!

Bob had a little blue car. One night the Carley's phone started ringing late in the evening! It was the mother of Mary Middlekauf, a friend of Evelyn. She wondered where Mary was! She was always home by that time. Well, Evelyn wasn't home either. She would wait awhile and call again. Much later they came. Mary and Evelyn's favorite cousin, Sony Gill, had gone riding with Evelyn and Bob after a school affair. When they got several miles southwest of Hays, Bob suddenly stopped and said, "We're not supposed to be out here!" He tried to turn the car around and got stuck in a muddy ditch! One of the boys routed out a farmer to pull them out with a tractor and they "beat it" to town! Mary's parents were called and all was right with the world!

When Evelyn first learned to drive, her mother took a lady at 407 W. 4th to St. Anthony's, as she was outpatient there. When they came back, Evelyn  ran over and said, "May I drive the car home?" Instead of backing as she wanted to, she went forward and struck the house. She had a sorry time for several days as her brothers teased her about running over an apartment house.

She worked on the school paper, The Guidon and in l949 she and Mary Middlekauf were co.-editors of the '49er, that year's year book, "The Indian Call".

During high school days, she worked the toy counter at Duckwall's 5 and 10 after school, Thursday evenings and on Saturdays. Later, Bob worked there as training to manage Duckwall stores.

After high school, she worked at Bell's Dress Shop across Main Street from Weisner's while attending a year at Fort Hays State College. Bob didn't go to college, as he and his parents did not think it necessary. She took sewing as she thought it would be a snap, but she had trouble getting grades as the instructor graded only on how much was learned in her class! It was much easier for those who could not sew at all to show improvement. She made the large black figures of ladies that are now in a bedroom at home in connection with sewing class to show styles of dress through several centuries. When they had been graded, she put them in a wastebasket, but her mother kept them. Sometime later, Evelyn asked to borrow the drawings and she returned them nicely framed as a gift for her mother on a special occasion.

Hays High gave a Christmas pageant for many years. Mrs. Mariam Perry, English teacher, directed it and was assisted by the music teacher. The beautiful costumes were kept from year to year. It was an honor to be in the pageant and a special honor to be Mary or Joseph. Evelyn was the first Mary to sing a solo. She sang "Sleep My Jesus, Sleep". Joseph sang "Go Tell it on the Moutain". Most students were involved in some way in the program, including the marching choir, Angel Choir and Glee Club. 

Evelyn L. Goodwin

The Bob Goodwins were married November 26, l950 by Reverend Thorn at the Presbyterian Church in Hays. Evelyn wanted the "rehearsal dinner" held at home even if the house was small! Places were set for 36 in the living room. Mrs. F. B. Streeter and Mrs. Claire Ingram helped in the kitchen and washed dishes. The door to the kitchen was removed as it was in the way. Later, it burned with the Carley and Moss' garages. Mary Lou Roberts Rickabaugh was matron of honor though four months pregnant. Marilyn Freshour, Dolores Ingram and Margaret Ford were bridesmaids. JoNelle, Curtis, Paul Gill, Shirley and Eleanor Gill, also Maurine Neylon and Ken Carley were in the bridal party. Opal still has the tiny place card candleholders used at the dinner. Ken recorded the ceremony to be made into a record. They left later from the Roy Goodwin'sj, catching a ride to the little blue Ford, which had been hidden and were on the way to Kansas city.

Their first home was an upstairs apartment at the Roy Goodwin home, 217 East 13th, where they had a little black dog named Boogie.When the Carley home was flooded in May, 1951, they were taken in until the house was livable by the Roy, Duane and Bob Goodwin families at 217 E. 13th.

Bob joined the Air Force and took Basic Training at Lackland Air Force base as did Evelyn's brother Ken and her cousins Lloyd Scotborn, Glenn M. Gill, Eddie Gill and Paul Carley Gill. He was stationed at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita for the time of his enlistment. He called his large metal desk his Flying Boxcar. Evelyn moved there and was head teller at a bank. During the time they lived in Wichita, her health became poor and it was discovered she had low blood sugar. Contributing to her health problem, was the fact she began to fear on her 16th birthday, that she was getting fat. She ate very poorly after that. This is called a syndrome now with a fancy name.

Before moving to Wichita, she worked as a clerk at the Montgomery Ward Order Office on West 11th Street and was promoted to Credit Manager. Mrs. Glass and a Mrs. Berland worked there, also. She and Mrs. Glass, manager, were privileged to go to special meetings at the head office in Kansas City.

When Bob was discharged from the Air Force, they moved back to Hays to a large apartment on west 6th street. Bob worked for his brother Duane as "field man" for his sporting goods store on west 11th street. Douglas Lee was born at Hadley Hospital while they lived on west 6th street. On his 10th day, Evelyn asked her mother to observe Douglas as she thought he had the pylori's problem his Uncle Ken had had. They called his doctor about their observations, but he said it was just a worrying mamma and grandma. When Douglas was three weeks old he had surgery to correct the muscle controlling the pylorus valve as it had completely closed. He has a long scar to prove that. After that problem was solved, he began having tonsillitis and at 15 months, had to have his tonsils removed! Grandparents took turns sitting with him at the hospital. One time when Opal went to relieve Roy Goodwin, Douglas walked over and gave him a savage bite on a knee! He wasn't mad at Grandpa; his throat hurt!

Later the Bob Goodwins built a new house at 2402 Main St. Terrace. They were living there when Scott Duane was born the day after Douglas was two. It rained on August 24, but stopped toward evening and Grandma Carley took Douglas to his first circus. The next day, cute roly-poly Scott was born. (There are pictures and articles about all this in the oldest scrapbook started in l949.) When Scott was one month old, his mother was in the hospital with pneumonia and the Carleys took care of him for a month. Curtis took his picture often. One day Scott got tired of posing and cried. Curtis got the best picture of all while he lay on the floor kicking and screaming.

Christmases at the Carley's were lots of fun for all, especially when there were four small grandchildren. Everybody went to Christmas Eve services and was home when Grandpa Lee returned from his North route of newspapers. That's when the fun began. One time, Clark came in the back door ringing sleigh bells so the small fry would think Santa was coming. Some of the decorations, a Christmas tree and the red velvet stuffed Santa, are still around.

Awhile after Scott arrived in August, l957, Evelyn went to work at the First National Bank. The boys stayed with the Carley's during banking hours. While there, Evelyn had a painful experience with Gout in a big toe!! That is a form of arthritis and isn't always brought on by overindulgence in food or drink.

Bob trained in Hays to be a Duckwall Stores manager and had stores Salina, Denver and Albuquerque. Later, Evelyn fixed up the basement of the new house for a Day Care Center. Steps to a window as a fire escape and some miniature furniture were needed. She had mostly children of friends and doctors. One time, she called her mother to help her take the large group to visit the newly arrived buffalo across from the Old Fort Hays. It was exciting for the small ones and also for the ladies when a doctor's son insisted on getting through the fence to pet a buffalo! It was a matter of holding on to him every minute.

In Denver, where Bob managed a Duckwall Store, they were fascinated with a 3-year-old Negro boy, the son of a lawyer in the area. In Hays at that time, there were no black people. The tale that in early days there was a sign at the west edge of town which said, "Negro, do not let the sun set on you in Hays" was a persistent myth. There were, however, Negro troops at the Fort, which had trouble with the townspeople from time to time. There was then one Negro living in Hays. He was called "Niger White" and he worked as a barber, probably on what is now West 10th Street. Later, the Goodwins moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, where Bob managed a huge Globe store in Phoenix. Evelyn's parents visited there for several days in August. Blake Andrew was born in Albuquerque in the alley behind Presbyterian Hospital in May   l963. Like brothers Douglas Lee and Scott Duane, he was baptized at the Presbyterian Church on 7th Street in Hays.

In Scottsdale, all three boys were in Baseball Little League and Evelyn went to every game to keep score. Grandma Carley gave up after 10 games, but Grandpa lee and Evelyn went to the whole 13. On game days, there was always a chocolate cake to bake for the ball players. Douglas did very well as a pitcher and his team was in the semi-finals for the nation in Seattle one year. They had won local and regional competitions.

While Evelyn's parents were visiting in Scottsdale, (a part of Phoenix) Evelyn and Blake took them to Nogales, Mexico. That was a nice experience. Evelyn knew how to "Jew" downs the Mexican salesmen. We h0have several articles that came from Nogales. As fireworks are not sold in Arizona, the older boys ordered firecrackers, which Grandpa Lee hid in the car in hopes they would not be located by the guard at the border who looked in the trunk and other likely places, as we left or thought we left, Evelyn made a wrong turn and after a bit we found we had gone back into Mexico and had to go through the border inspection again.

The Globe Company moved Bob to El Paso and Evelyn and the boys remained in Scottsdale to sell the house they had lived in eleven months. It was a nice stone house with a palm-fringed pool, and a picnic spot in the fenced back yard. Evelyn said the pool was either completely empty or very full of "kids". Sometimes they went pool hopping, as there were several pools in the area.

There next home was a huge house with a pool just outside the family room doors. The Carleys visited there in December and kept Blake busy bringing in small logs for the living room fireplace. At Christmas time, Evelyn won first place with her inside decorations and Blake's outside decorations were also first place for El Paso. Evelyn took her parents on a tram ride up the highest mountain in the area from which the International Bridge could be seen and Juarez in Mexico. One evening the family went into Mexico for dinner, where each waiter was dressed in black (and white) and carried a small folded red towel over his arm. Mr. Roy Goodwin and grandson Kyle from Hays were there also. When it was time for us to fly back to Beaumont, Texas to Curtis', the visitors from Hays had to wait until the snow stopped falling. Evelyn had asked her parents to bring her wedding dress with them. She could wear it and had her 25th anniversary picture taken in it in November 1975. She was thin following surgery, very thin. February 19, 1977, Bob found her body in the pool in icy water. She and Bob were not quite 46 years old. It was her wish that she be cremated. Bob had recently had a heart attack and was not able to work. In 1982, Bob and 2 sons live in El Paso. Blake has finished a year in college where he had s scholarship and was an honor student. Douglas has been married twice and has a daughter Amanda Lee and a son, Ryan Seth, born April 18, 1982. Scott has finished college and is an oil field geologist at Oklahoma City. He is married to Laura. Blake tells the Carleys Amanda is "super-cute". Douglas, Kimberly and Amanda visited the Carleys at Curtis' home when she was 8 months old. It was at Thanksgiving in Albuquerque. Ryan's mother is Nancy. Bob is working.

A year after her death, her parents visited Bob and sons in El Paso. They had moved into a smaller house and were selling the larger one. Bob was the cook and everyone was a housekeeper. There was open house for girlfriends and boyfriends. One evening, Douglas lay on the floor talking to his grandparents who were still sitting at the supper table. Grandmother said, "the slope of your face reminds me of your Mother". He replied, "Oh no! My Mother was a beautiful woman".

GOODWIN BOB HAYS dec.jpg (11421 bytes)
Robert "Bob" Goodwin
Eyelyn's husband.

CARLEY EVELYN3.jpg (12672 bytes)
Mrs. Robert Goodwin
(Evelyn Lavon Carley)


Senior Edition Out; ____ at Lake Barton. The senior edition of The Indiana Call is out! But where are the seniors? At 8 o'clock this morning they boarded two buses and started to Barton Lake, near Great _____, where they will spend the day. Enough food was taken for ____ meals for 90 people. The food committee, with Evelyn Carley, chairman, worked all day yesterday making ham salad and cheese sandwiches. They used 46 Pullman loaves of bread, four pounds of longhorn cheese, nine pounds of ham, four cans of pimentos, one gallon of pickles, and four quarts of salad dressing. The remainder of the menu includes two 10 gallon milk cans of punch, four pecks of potato chips, 80 ice cream bars, and 112 size 2 cans of baked beans. The seniors preferred not to include candy bars because they say they are tired of them after trying to sell them to raise money for this trip. The P.T.A. paid for chartering one bus and the seniors had enough money to pay the expense on the school bus.

Dance is Scheduled for Senior High Students "Vacation Preview" is the theme chosen by the second semester dance committee for the senior high dance on Saturday, according to Bob Goodwin, chairman. Admission will be 20 cents per persons and 35 cents per couple The evening will start with square dancing promptly t 8 p.m. After a brief period of modern dancing, square dances will again be called. Following this will be a floor show under the direction of Harold Kraus. Refreshments will be served following the floor show. The new gym will be decorated with a gay overhead of crepe paper, and murals will cover the walls. Marilyn Kirtland is in charge of decorations, Sue Anshutz and Delores Payne in charge of publicity and Evelyn Carley is responsible for the refreshment

Hays Girls Receive AAUW Awards Tuesday. The annual award of the Hays branch of the American Association of University Women, to outstanding girl seniors at the Hays High School and the Girls Catholic high school will be made Tuesday afternoon in the recital hall of the Hays high school at 3 o'clock. Girls are chosen for the awards by faculty vote on a basis of character, service, scholarship and leadership. Evelyn Carley daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Carley and Firma Roth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Felix Roth of Hays were chosen for this year's honors.

First Grade September 7, 1937, was a big day for 35 excited new first graders. Washington was lucky to have nine bright southerners enroll under the names of Dale Park, Joan Kirtland, Don Burnett, Harold Kraus, Helen Bieler, Aletha Unrein, Margaret Ford, Bessie Stewart, and Alice Ginther, who was so tiny the teacher couldn't find her at all until she was moved to the front seat. Lincoln had to put up with Tim Reed, Carol Morris, Theona Casper, Don Creightton, Mary Middlekauff, Bonnie Gosser, and Harold Payne, who left Hayes after one year and enrolled in_Locust Grove county school for the next seven years. Also eager for knowledge were Greig Lindner, Bob Maupin, David Reigel, Evelyn Carley, Dean Thoman, Maureen Neylon and Marlyn Needles, who studied at Picken school on the state college campus. Yes, Mary Ann Weigel, Bette Giebler, Richard Wasinger, Alvin Leiker, Walter Younger, Leonard Bollig, Don Walters, Rozella Rupp, Luella Romey, Paul Brungardt Inez Miller, Marian Sack, and Marvin Orth also enrolled that morning at the Parochial school, nor Jefferson. _Students from Picken will remember the poem they recited before eating their afternoon snack-- eat some crackers, Drink some milk, Soon you'll be as fine as silk. Second Grade. All students were progressing and learning to write longhand, to add an subtract too! No new students arrived in Hayes that year and all the second graders became better friends. Remember the time Mrs. Zeman carried Don Creighton to the assembly and when Evelyn Carley played possum so she wouldn't have to take her spelling?

Rehearsal Dinner (Nov, 1950) The wedding party of Miss Evelyn Carley and Bob Goodwin were guests at a buffet supper last night at the home of the bride elect's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Carley, 406 West 4th Street. Clusters of white wedding bells were tied throughout the rooms and a miniature of the wedding group was arranged on the piano. Miss Carley fashioned the doll dresses from material used for the bridal attendants' gowns, completing the ensemble even to the flower basket like the one her sister will carry at the ceremony this afternoon. Miniature candelabra were used for placards on the serving table, which was decorated with gilded oak leaves.

Goodwin Named as Credit Manager Mrs. Bob Goodwin was appointed credit Manager of the Montgomery Ward catalog office, effective Friday. She succeeds Mrs. Robert Eickbush, who resigned. Mrs. Goodwin has been employed at the office since April, and has been credit clerk since July. Until her marriage Nov. 26 she was Miss Evelyn Carley.

Party Mrs. Bob Goodwin entertained with a hobo party Saturday afternoon at her home on Main St. Terr., for her son, Douglas, on his third birthday. Games preceded the super, which was served tied red hobo handkerchiefs. Invited guests were: Paula Sue Spaulding, David Hoar, Kyle Goodwin, Barbara Goodwin, Terry Goodwin, Dara Gill, Johnny Goetz, Janie Dunn, Cathy Baird, Jean Ellen Telter, Doug Beethe, Mike Herwig, Mike Benshoff, Vickie Rupp, Chuck Rupp, Linda Roth, Cary Zimmerman, Mary Herrman and Curtis and JoNelle Carley.

The story complied by her brother Clark L. Carley in 1998. This is from original document by Opal Fern (Burdue) Carley story about 1983 or 84. Created for web page in April of 1999.

Clark L Carley 1999

HOME Carley Family Tree Andrew Family Index of Surnames
History-The Grand Army of the Republic Francis Ann's Letters Burdue Family Misc. Surnames Index
The Lott Diary Francis Ann's Descendants Daigh Family Surname Index  (PFlowers)
Lott Medical Leroy (Lee) Carley Dunn's of Kentucky-Kansas  
Lott Pension Mini Carley Book (partial) Evelyn Lavon Goodwin  
Our Civil War Trip Opal Carley Hoagland Story  
The Clark Carley Story Memorial Service for Opal Fern Carley Autobiography of Georgia Perine  
My Son Warren Richard Leroy Carley Stith Family  
My Favorite Poem Dust Storms Obituaries  
My Favorite Links Gravelly Springs More Documents State Home Pages

Sign My Guestbook | View My Guestbook

This site was last updated  Saturday, March 05, 2005

Copyright 1998 - 2005 All rights reserved
All documents and photos Copyright by Clark L. Carley. 
This site was created by Clark L. Carley

Billye D. Jackson, Webmaster
Have a NICE DAY!