Ballarat a to b
Surname
First Name(s)
Place
Page ref.
Abbot
C.A.
Proprietor and Editor, Ballarat Punch which was published on and off, from 1856 to 1870.
65
Abraham Iron Foundry
Little Bridge Street
Operated a foundry making patent windmills and pumps, c1870.
293
Academy of Music
N/A
Lydiard Street, Ballarat. The successor of the Theatre Royal which was opened in January 1858. The "new" building was opened on 7 June 1875.
287
Acheson
W.M.
Manager of the Sir Henry Loch Company, mining near the Band & Albion Consols lease 1887. Manager of the Central Plateau Company, mining on the Central Plateau 1887.
354
Adeney
W.H.  (Rev.)
Minister of St. Peter's Anglican Church, Sturt Street, Ballarat in 1865.
266
Ahrens
J.
Member of first committee Ballarat Rowing Club, 1861.
255
Aikens
C.J.
Secretary of Ballarat Rowing Club 1887.
255
Aikens
J.
Committee of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887.
256
Airey
George
Settled in 1840 at Lal Lal
6
Aitken
John
Member of second exploring party to Ballarat area, January 1838
2
Akehurst
Arthur Purcell
Government Officer at time of Eureka Stockade - accused of murdering James Powell (New Zealand Jamie) but acquitted. Became a Magistrate and was Chairman of the Central Board of Health 1887.
129
Alabama Rowing Club
N/A
Formed in 1864 but lasted only a couple of years.
255
Albion Company
N/A
Cooperative mining company operating on claims 115 to 123 on Frenchman's Lead, Sebastopol Hill, Ballarat from 27 February 1857.
203
Alfred Hall
N/A
The largest hall in Ballarat, situated in Grenville Street. It was built for the reception of the Duke of Edinburgh when he visited Ballarat.
288
Allan
Robert
Mining Surveyor. Produced a map of the Ballarat mines for the book
232
Allanby
G.C.  (Rev.)
Minister of St. James' Anglican Church, Little Bendigo, Ballarat in 1864.
266
Allender
J.
Committee member of Ballarat Gun Club 1887.
306
Alley
Unknown
Captain of cavalry of the Ballarat Rangers, a local militia in 1858.
299
Allison
Edward Dufferin  (Dr.)
Presided over the first highland games c1857.
307
Alloo
John
Proprietor of Chinese restaurant, Main Road, Ballarat 1853
56
Alroe
Peter
Elected Mayor of Sebastopol Council, Ballarat 1875.
249
Anderson
Andrew
Chairman of the interim council commission which preceded the Ballarat Water Commission, from 1862. President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1880. Trustee of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887. Council member of Ballarat School of Mines 1886. Member of the Council of Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association in 1887. President of Mechanics' Institute 1861/62. Vice-President of the German Lieder Krantz in 1886. President of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1887. Trustee of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
252, 259, 261, 276, 279, 287, 289, 292, 298
Anderson
Canute
Prepared the plans in February 1862 for the monument to Burke and Wills, on the corner of Sturt and Lydiard Streets.
311
Anderson
Henry
In first exploring parties to Ballarat area, August 1837 and January 1838. Earliest pioneer at Winter's Flat.
1, 3
Anderson
W.
member of the Legislative Assembly. Vice-President of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society 1887.
291
Anderson's Tannery
N/A
Operating in Wendourie in at least 1887 and regarded as the oldest in Ballarat. Originally owned by Messrs. Burrington, Anstis and Baker.
297
Appleby
W.
Committee member of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1859.
292
Archibald
W.
Committee member of Wendourie Rowing Club 1887.
256
Ariel Rowing Club
N/A
Established c1867 but lasted only for a brief while.
255
Armstrong
D.
Resident Assistant-Commissioner, Government Camp, Ballarat December 1851
43
Armstrong
John
In a party of six from Geelong, the first to sign a cooperative mining agreement, 22 September 1851
202
Armstrong
R.A.
Head Teacher at State School No. 33 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Asplin
Joseph
Early miner at Black Hill 1851. From Geelong
193
Attwood
A.
General Manager of Rowlands & Lewis' Ballarat factory, the premier cordial manufacturer in Ballarat, 1887.
296
Australasian Company
N/A
Mining company formed in 1866 in Ballarat. Opposed by Peter Lalor as disadvantaging his Grand Trunk Company.
170
Bacchus
W.H.
In 1839 brought cattle from Melbourne to graze at "Burrumbeetup"
Preface, 6
Backhouse & Reynolds

N/A
Architects of Wesley Church, corner of Lydiard and Dana Sts., Ballarat in 1858.
270
Bagge
C.H.O.
Engineer with the forerunner to the Ballarat Water Commission 1862.
252
Bailey
E.
Secretary of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887.
255
Bailey
John Robinson
Member for Ballarat West in Victorian Parliament 1860. Laid the foundation stone for Ballarat Town Hall 16 August 1860.
244
Bailey
S.L.
Committee member of Ballarat District Hospital board 1886. Vice-President of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
259, 303
Bailey
T.
Captain of Ballarat Yacht Club 1887. Director of the North Woah Hawp Company, miners, 1887.
256, 349
Bailey
William
Member of the group which purchased the Egerton mine from the Learmonth family 1873. Formerly employed by the Learmonth's as their mine manager at Egerton. English born. Shareholder in the Seven Hills Estate Co. 1875. Vice-Commodore of Ballarat Yacht Club 1887. Owned and raced "Viola" of 7 tons. Chairman of the Prince of Wales & Bonshaw Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau 1887.
209, 226, 256,355
Bain's High School

N/A
Private day school situated in Camp Street, Ballarat in 1887.
275
Baird
J.K.
Committee member of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society on 15 August 1856. Mayor of Ballarat East Council 1872. Vice-President of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society 1887 but died soon after election.
248, 290, 291
Baird
Samuel
First Town Surveyor appointed by Ballarat West Municipality, January 1856.

Baird  (Rev)
James
Minister of Presbyterian Church, Specimen Hill, Ballarat 1855
62
Baker
Frederick  (Mrs.)
Laid the foundation stone for the Bible Christian Church, Armstrong Street, Ballarat in December 1860.
271
Baker
H.E.  (Capt)
Resident astronomer of Ballarat School of Mines Observatory in 1887. Maker of the observatory's first telescope. Formerly of Goldsborough.
278
Baker
James
Elected President of Ballarat Mining Board 27 February 1858. First Secretary of Ballarat School of Mines 1870.
187,276
Balhausen
Mr.
Set up the Endeavour Company, miners, with partner Mr. Gollen. Taken over by the Last Chance Company in 1882.
344
Ballarat Acclimatisation Society
N/A
Established in 1870 with the object of introducing trout, perch, carp and other fish in the district.
306
Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society
N/A
Originally formed as the Ballarat Agricultural Society but incorporated on 3 May 1865 under the expanded name. First meeting held in the George Hotel on 14 June 1856. First exhibition of regional produce was held on 12 March 1859 in the Corn Exchange in the Market Square at Ballarat.
290
Ballarat Banking Company
N/A
Operating in Lydiard Street, Ballarat 1887.
284, 302
Ballarat Benevolent Asylum
N/A
The first committee sat in 1857 as the almoners of "Ballarat Visiting and Benevolent Association. Foundation stone laid on St.Patrick's Day, 1859 by F. Gell and first building opened 20 February 1860. Beautiful building, on a five acre property fronting Ascot Street, Ballarat.
260
Ballarat College
N/A
Private day school founded before 1887. First Principal was R.O. McCoy. "In some sort attached to the Presbyterian Kirk of St. Andrew's".
275
Ballarat Company
Sunny Corner
Operated a woolen mill in Ballarat, incorporating in October 1871 with work commencing June 1873. By the end of 1886, 130 people were employed.
294
Ballarat Coursing Club
Ercildoune
Formed on 22 May 1873 and the first dogs meeting was on 7 August of that year.
305
Ballarat Cricket Club
Eastern Oval
Established in October 1856.
303
Ballarat District Hospital
N/A
Corner of Sturt and Drummond Sts., Ballarat. Foundation stone laid Christmas Day 1855.
258
Ballarat East Municipality
N/A
Proclaimed a municipality on 5 May 1857 and first council elected 1 June 1857.
247
Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery
N/A
Established in September 1884 in temporary premises which were replaced by a Government grant of a site in Lydiard Street in August 1886. The memorial stone for the gallery was laid on 21 June 1887 .
279
Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association
N/A
Incorporated in May 1887 from the patrons of art in Ballarat
279
Ballarat Football Club
N/A
Rented the Saxon Paddock in Wendouree, for games in 1887. A stand had been erected for spectators.
303
Ballarat Gaol
N/A
First erected at the southern end of Lydiard Street in 1856. Subsequently extended, strengthened and finished in 1862.
311
Ballarat Gas Company
Private Company
Incorporated in 1858, operating on 3 acres bounded by Albert, Dana, Grenville and Lewis Streets, Ballarat. Officially opened on the night of 17 July 1858 by Mr, J.B. Humffray.
301
Ballarat Grammar School
N/A
Operated by Kearney. A private day school situated in Eyre Street, Ballarat in 1887.
275
Ballarat Gun Club
Near the Essex mine, between Creswick & Learmonth Roads
First established in 1861 as the Pigeon Shooting Club and operated until 1866 when it closed. Another club was formed in 1872 and continued until at least 1887.
305
Ballarat Horticultural Society
N/A
Formed on 11 October 1859 at a meeting in Bath's Hotel. First exhibition was held in W.C. Smith's salesroom in Sturt Street on 25 November 1859. In 1887 there were 320 members.
292
Ballarat Hunt Club
N/A
Formed in 1881 by Mr. A. Chirnside of Werribee.
304
Ballarat Militia Battalion
N/A
First established 24 November 1883 following government action and formed initially from serving officers and men of the former Ballarat Rangers militia. Provision for 326 officers and men.
300
Ballarat Mining Board
N/A
First elected 27 February 1858.
187
Ballarat Prospecting Board
N/A
Formed in 1886 to consider applications for assistance for State aid in mining.
220
Ballarat Public Library
N/A
Established in 1862 with 12,000 volumes in 1887.
286
Ballarat Rangers
Local Militia
Formed in 1857 and 1858. Consisted of three companies of infantry based at (No.1)Ballarat West, (No.2) Clunes and Creswick, (No.3) Ballarat East as well as a Ballarat Troop of cavalry all of which lasted until December 1883 when the government passed the Militia Bill.
299, 300
Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club
Gun club
Formed as an annexe to the cavalry troop of the Rangers, the club was formed on 5 January 1873 and lasted until 1883.
300
Ballarat Rowing Club
N/A
Formed on 20 November 1861 at McLaren's Hotel, Bridge Street, Ballarat initially as a regatta club.
255
Ballarat Savings Bank
N/A
Operating from 1856 to at least 1887.
302
Ballarat School of Mines
Lydiard Street
Opened on 26 October 1870 by Mr. Justice Barry on Government land next to the gaol.
276
Ballarat School of Mines Observatory
N/A
Opened on 16 December 1885 on an elevated spur of the White Horse Ranges called Mount Pleasant. The first telescope installed was a 12 inch Newtonian reflector.
278
Ballarat Stock Exchange
N/A
Established in 1860s with Michael Walsh as the first President. Merged with rival Royal Exchange on 5 December 1885. Thomas Stoddart laid the foundation stone of the new exchange in 1887 when there were over 100 members.
236, 313, 362
Ballarat Times and Southern Cross
N/A
First newspaper published in Ballarat, 4 March 1854.
63
Ballarat Turf Club
Dowling Forest
Formed in 1853 as the Ballarat and Creswick Race Club. Uses 486 acres in Dowling Forest.
304
Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade
Cnr. Barkly & East Streets
Established in 1856, it had 40 members by 1887 and was the first brigade in Victoria to operate a steam fire engine.
298
Ballarat Volunteer Rifle Regiment
N/A
Formed originally in 1857 as the Ballarat Rangers but incorporated on 26 July 1858 as B.V.R.R. To consist of four divisions of infantry and two of cavalry. After only a month, the name reverted to Ballarat Rangers.
299
Ballarat Water Commission
N/A
Origins back to 1861 but not formally gazetted until 1880. First met on 21 July 1880.
253
Ballarat West Municipality
N/A
Constituted on 17 December 1855 and first council elected 14 January 1856.
243
Ballarat Yacht Club
N/A
Formed at a meeting in Gills' Lake View Hotel on 29 May 1877. First regatta held 30 November 1877.
256
Ballarat, Smythesdale, Linton and Carngham Tramway Company
N/A
Proposed public tramway, mooted in 1862 but never came to fruition
170
Band & Barton Company
Mining company
Smaller, successful mining company operating in Ballarat in 1887.
353
Band of Hope & Albion Consols Company
Mining company
One of the largest mining companies in Ballarat, established c1860s and operating profitably well into the 1880s.
var.
Bank of Australasia
Ballarat
Operating in Lydiard Street, between Dana & Mair Sts., Ballarat 1887.
302
Bank of New South Wales
Ballarat
Operating in Lydiard Street, between Dana & Mair Sts., Ballarat 1887.
302
Bank of Victoria
Ballarat
In 1854 it stood on the south side of Sturt Street, Ballarat and was constructed as an "iron pot", that is, a timber frame with galvanised iron sheets inside and out. Robbed by bushrangers of 18,000 in October 1854. By 1887, it was situated in Lydiard Street.
122, 301
Bannister
R.D.
Project manager for the first Juvenile Industrial Exhibition held in Victoria, opened on 15 February 1878.
297
Bantock
D.
Initial committee member of Ballarat Coursing Club 1873.
305
Baptist Church
Dawson Street, Ballarat
Completed in stone on 6 November 1867. Designed by J.A. Doane.
271
Barker
C.
Manager of the Prince Regent Company, miners, in 1887. Manager of the Northern Star Company and the Don Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau 1887.
350, 354
Barley Sheaf Brewery
Creswick Road
Operating in 1887, owned by Leggo and Sons.
295
Barnard
W.H.
First Registrar of Ballarat School of Mines after 1870 and before 1887. Chairman of the Sebastopol Plateau Company 1887.
277, 354
Barnes
J.
Vice-Captain of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887.
255
Barrie
James
Elected Mayor of Sebastopol Council, Ballarat 1876.
249
Barry
Redmond  (Sir)
Local Judge. Opened the Ballarat School of Mines on 26 October 1870, as President.
276
Bartley
J.
Head Teacher at State School No.2022 (see list) between 1878 and 1887.
274
Barton
W.
Vice-President of South Ballarat Football Club 1886.
304
Bath
H. (Rev.)
Opened the Wesley Church, corner Dana & Lydiard Sts., on 14 December 1884. Rev. Bath had been a former superintendent of the Wesleyan Methodist Church circuit,
270
Bath
Thomas
Arrived on the Buninyong goldfields 28 August 1851.Later erected Bath's Hotel, May 1853. Vice-President of Ballarat Yacht Club 1887. Member of the Council of Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association in 1887. Committee member of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society on 15 August 1856. Honorary Treasurer of the Society from 1867 to at least 1887. President of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
33, 256, 279, 290, 291, 303
Bath's Hotel
N/A
Major hotel in Ballarat, erected 1853. Later known as Craig's Hotel (1887)

Batten
W.H.
Committee member of Mechanics' Institute 1859, later Secretary until at least 1887. Chairman of the Brittania United Company, miners, in 1887. Director of the Victoria United Company, miners, in 1887.
287, 344, 345
Batty
James
Co- discovered gold at Golden Point, Ballarat in 1851.
28
Beattie
James
Acquitted on the charge of high treason after the Eureka Stockade incident, on 1 April 1855
143
Bechervaise
W.P.
Vice-President of City Rowing Club 1887. Starter of Ballarat Yacht Club in the same year.
255, 256
Beck
Trooper
Handicapper of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300
Belcher
G.F.
Member of the Legislative Council until he retired August 1886.
185
Belford
Richard
Elected to the first Ballarat East Council 1 June 1857. Elected Chairman 1858. Original committee member Benevolent Society 1857. Vice-President of Mechanics' Institute 1859. For a short time was Lieut-Colonel of the Ballarat Volunteer Rifle Regiment (Ballarat Rangers). Member of the first Board of Ballarat Gas Company 1858. Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East at election 26 August 1859.
247, 248, 260, 287, 299, 301, 332
Bell
Alexander
Board Chairman of the Ballarat Company, a woolen mill at Sunny Corner from 1871 to at least 1887.
294
Bell
Henry
Unsuccessful candidate at election for Ballarat West 22 April 1874.
331
Bell
John
Resident Clerk, Government Camp, Ballarat December 1851
43
Bell
Robert
Printer, Main Road, Ballarat, c1856. Printed the Chinese Advertiser for Ballarat. Board member of the Ballarat Company, a woolen mill operating in Sunny Corner from 1871 to at least 1887.
65. 294
Bellinden
J.
Director of the North Woah Hawp Company, miners, 1887.
349
Benson
W.
Architect of the Primitive Methodist Church, Burnbank Street, Ballarat, opened in 1864.
269
Benson
William
Reporter for the Ballarat Times 1853.
74
Bentley
James Francis
Former convict born 1818. Operated Bentley's Hotel at Ballarat 1854. Found guilty of murdering a digger 1854.
88
Berry
Andrew B.
Registrar of Ballarat School of Mines 1886. Secretary of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
277, 303
Berry
John
Treasurer of the Hibernian Society 1868.
307
Beverin
Frederick F.
Elected first Mayor of Sebastopol Council 12 December 1864. Mayor from 1865 to 1856.
249
Beyer
G.A.
Secretary of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Bible Christian Church
Armstrong Street
Completed in brick on 3 March 1861. Designed by F.O. Korn.
271
Bible Christian Church
Grant Street
Completed in brick on 18 March 1866. Designed by carpenter S.H. Lugg.
271
Bible Christian Church
Humffray Street
Completed in brick on 20 January 1867. Designed by carpenter S.H. Lugg.
271
Bible Christian Church
Skipton Street
Completed in stone on 25 March 1866, Designed by H.R. Caselli.
271
Bickett
J.M.
Member of first committee Ballarat School of Mines 1870. Appointed Clerk of Ballarat Mining Board 18 December 1873. Appointed Secretary of Ballarat Prospecting Board 1886. Council member of Ballarat School of Mines 1886. Secretary of the committee which raised the Robert Burns statue in Sturt Street. President of Mechanics' Institute 1884. Manager of the Brittania United Company, miners, 1887.
187, 220,275, 276, 281, 287, 344
Bickford
J. (Rev.)
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. (Wesleyan Methodist Church). Opened the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Wendouree on 16 June 1860.
260,270
Biddle's Saw Mills
N/A
Operated by Mr. Biddle - supplied timber for Bath's Hotel 1853
53
Bignell
W.
Committee member of Pigeon Shooting Club 1861.
305
Binks
W.L. (Rev.)
Laid the foundation stone of Wesleyan Methodist Church, Neil Street, Ballarat in 1867. Officiating minister at opening of Wesleyan Methodist Church, Pleasant Street in 1867.
270,271
Binsted
G.
Secretary of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1859. Secretary of Ballarat Gas Company, c1858.
292, 301
Birch
Arthur
Brother of Cecil. Early settlers at Birch's Creek, c1845
5
Birch
Cecil
Brother of Arthur. Early settlers at Birch's Creek, c1845
5
Black
Alfred A.
Brother of George Black. Prominent member of the Eureka Stockade band. Self-styled "Secretary of War"
101
Black
George
Editor of the Digger's Advocate newspaper in 1854 and Reform League member. Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East at election 10 October 1856.
92, 332
Black Hill Quartz Company
N/A
Began operations in January 1862 and still running in 1887 when it was the parent company of the Sulieman and Indicator Company, Queen's Jubilee, North and South Sulieman, Nos.2 and 3 Queen Companies.
225, 345
Black Horse Brewery
Ascot Street
Operating in 1887, owned by G.T. Lee.
295
Blackett
C.R.
President of the Pharmacy Board of Victoria and Council member of Ballarat School of Mines 1886.
276
Blackwell
R.T.
Director of the North Woah Hawp Company, miners, 1887.
349
Blaikie
William A.
In a party of six from Geelong, the first to sign a cooperative mining agreement, 22 September 1851
202
Blair
L.S.
Director of the Sebastopol Star Company, miners operating on the Sebastopol plateau 1887.
354
Bland
R.H.
Manager of the Port Phillip & Colonial Gold Mining Company from 1852 to at least 1887. Trustee of Ballarat School of Mines 1886.
276
Blight
J.A.
Secretary of Miners' Racecourse, Sebastopol in 1887. Secretary of Lal Lal Race Club 1887.
304
Blythe
J.
Head Teacher at State School No. 1493 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Bodycomb
A.
Committee member of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
303
Bodycomb
Thomas
Board member of Phoenix Foundry Company 1887.
293
Bolger
Patrick
Elected to the first council of Ballarat West Municipality, 14 January 1856.
243
Bond
H.T.
One of a party of eight Geelong men who signed an early cooperative mining agreement, 8 October 1851
202
Bones' Buildings

N/A
Situated in Sturt Street, Ballarat next door to the Unicorn Hotel. Originally a draper's shop, then a mining exchange and finally, a suite of sharebrokers offices, c 1870.
236
Book & Sons
Main Street
Operating one of the larger boot factories in Ballarat in 1887.
297
Boughen
Mr.
First Master of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1860.
261
Boughen
Mrs.
First Matron of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1860. Died before 1887.
261
Boughtman
James
Major shareholder in the Australasian Company, formed 1866 for mining. Opposed by Peter Lalor. Boughtman was later arrested by the Sergeant-at-Arms of the Victorian Parliament over the company's affairs but later released.
170, 173
Boulton
A.J.
Lieutenant of 3rd Company, Ballarat Rangers in 1870.
299
Boyd
Charles
Operated a printing works in Sturt Street, Ballarat in 1861(still running in 1887) in buildings previously owned by the Congregational Church. He started printing in the Main Road, near the United States Hotel in 1857. Possibly from Philadelphia, USA.
272, 282, 285
Boyle
Felix
Private of the 12th regiment, killed at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854.
155
Bracewell
S. (Rev.)
Laid the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Church, Beverin Street, Sebastopol on 23 June 1868.
269
Bradcock
T.
Original shareholder in Union Foundry 1865.
293
Bradford
W.A.
Honorary Surgeon, Ballarat District Hospital 1886.
259
Bradford
William
Early miner at Black Hill 1851. Father of bicycle seller in Ballarat 1887.
194
Bradshaw
William
Appointed Justice of the Peace in Ballarat 1855.
166
Bradshaw and Salmon
N/A
Storekeepers in Main Road, Ballarat East, at the time of the Stockade
103
Bray
Thomas
Elected Mayor of Sebastopol Council, Ballarat 1873.
249
Brind
H.
Vice-President of the German Lieder Krantz in 1886. Part owner of Warrenheip Distillery Company 1887. Vice-President of Ballarat Cricket Club 1887.
289, 295, 303
Brittania United Company
Mining company
Incorporated on 7 March 1887 as an amalgamation of the former Brittania and Major Mining Companies.
344
Bromley & Co.
Windemere Street
Operated an iron foundry c1870.
293
Brooksbank
John
Immigrant from Bradford, Yorkshire June 1848; later went to Ballarat 1851
57
Brophy
Daniel
Elected member for Ballarat East, April, 1874. Elected Mayor of the City of Ballarat, 1875/6. President of City Rowing Club 1887. President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1877. Vice-President 1886. Trustee of Benevolent Asylum 1887. President District Orphan Asylum 1874. Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East at election 28 February 1880. Member of the Council of Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association in 1887. Board Chairman of Phoenix Foundry Company 1887. Director of the Buninyong Estate Company, miners, in 1887. Chairman of Band & Albion Consols Company, 1887. Director of the Band & Barton Company, miners, 1887.
183, 243, 255, 259, 261,263, 279, 293, 334, 351, 353
Brown
A.
Secretary of Harmonic Society sometime between 1863 and 1875. First Treasurer of Ballarat Yacht Club 1877. President of Mechanics' Institute 1885.
256, 287, 289
Brown
J.
Committee member of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
303
Brown
James
Wounded and subsequently died after Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From Newry, Ireland.
125
Brown
Trooper
Member of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300
Brown
W.M.
Member of first committee, District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Brownbill
William
Discoverer of gold at Brown Hill 1851
30
Bruun
A.
Treasurer of the German Lieder Krantz in 1881. Leader in 1887of the Musical Union formed in 1884.
289, 290
Bruun
L.
Committee member of the Philharmonic Musical Society which ran from 1858 to 1863.
289
Bryant
Robert
Manager of the Midas Company mine, 1887. Brought the "Lady Loch" nugget (617 ozs) to Ballarat for display in the windows of Stoddart & Binnie's, stockbrokers, 24 August 1887.
360
Buckle
J.
Architect of the Primitive Methodist Church, Humffray St., Ballarat, opened in 1860.
269
Buckley
John
Manager of Bank of Victoria, Ballarat 1854
122
Budden
Mr.
Canadian born. Justice of the Peace. At the Stockade with Ross
106
Buley
A.A.
Principal of Grenville College 1887.
275
Buninyong Estate Company
Mining company
Operating the Desoza and Estate lodes, among others, in 1887
350
Buninyong Gold Mining Co.
N/A
Operated on land originally settled by Learmonth brothers
3
Buninyong Highland Society
N/A
Formed c1857.
307
Bunting
J.
Librarian of the German Lieder Krantz in 1881.
289
Burke
J.
Hose Officer of Soldiers' Hill Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Burns
J.R.
Architect who designed the St. Thomas' Free Church of England in Macarthur Street, Ballarat which opened on 19 July 1869.
269
Burra Burra Company
N/A
Installed a 4 horsepower steam driven hauling engine March 1859.
199
Burrows
C.I.
Secretary of Ballarat District Hospital, 1864 to 1887.
259
Butchart
G.
Original committee member of Ballarat District Hospital 1855. Committee member of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society on 15 August 1856.
258, 290
Butcher
William
Elected to Ballarat Mining Board 1858
187
Butchers
H.
Early gold miner Fryer's Creek, Ballarat November 1851.
41
Butler
Joseph
Member of a gold diggers' party at Dalton's Flat, Ballarat 1854
146
Butler
Thomas
In a party of six from Geelong, the first to sign a cooperative mining agreement, 22 September 1851
202
Butterly
M.
Director of the South Sulieman Company, miners, in 1887. Chairman of the Band & Barton Company, miners, 1887.
348, 353
Byrne
J.
Committee of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887.
255

Return to main page