Ballarat c to f.html
Surname
First Name(s)
Place
Page ref.
Cadden
S.
Secretary of Ballarat Coursing Club 1886.
305
Cahill
M.
Vice-President of City Rowing Club 1887.
255
Cahir
T.
Starter of Lal Lal Race Club 1887.
304
Calder
J.
Member of first committee Ballarat Rowing Club, 1861.
255
Caldwell
J.
Committee member of South Ballarat Football Club 1886.
304
Caledonian Society of Ballarat
N/A
Established in November 1858, holding annual games festivals on New Year's Day.
307
Callanan
Patrick
Wounded at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From Co. Clare, Ireland.
125
Callanan
Thomas
Wounded at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From Co. Clare, Ireland.
125
Cambrian Society of Ballarat
N/A
Founded in 1887 "for the promotion of greater unity and a better organisation of mutual help amongst Welsh colonists". At June 1887 there were 50 members.
289
Cameron
D.
Vice-President of Imperial Football Club, Ballarat in 1886. Director of the Black Hill Quartz Company in 1887.
304, 346
Cameron
T.B.
Architect of Hebrew Synagogue, Princes Street, Ballarat in 1861.
271
Cameron
W.
President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1871.
258
Campbell
E.
Operated a printing office in Lydiard Street, Ballarat c1887.
282
Campbell
James Macfie
Acquitted on the charge of high treason after the Eureka Stockade incident, on 1 April 1855. Elected to the Legislative Council 1882 for Wellington Province.  Laid the foundation stone for Wesley Church, corner Dana & Lydiard Sts., on 11December 1883. Resigned June 1886.
143, 184,270
Campbell
Jonathan/Jno.
Appointed Town Clerk of the first Ballarat East Council 1 June 1857.
247
Canning
W.
Director of Band & Albion Consols Company, 1887.
353
Carey
M.C.
Committee member Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887.
261
Carlyon
H.
Captain of Soldiers' Hill Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Carmichael
Archibald
Early associate of Peter Lalor and member of committee for justice late 1854.
82
Carpenter
Thomas
Successful candidate for Ballarat West election 6 August 1866. Mining engineer with the Winter's Freehold Company, operating in Ballarat 1868 to 1877.
218, 330
Carr  (Dr.)
A.
Contributed medical evidence in Scobie's death (Bentley's Hotel) which was later considered improper.
88
Carroll
E.J.
Director of the South Sulieman Company, miners, in 1887.
348
Carroll
G.J.
Chairman of the Star of the East Company, miners, 1887. Director of the New Koh-i-Noor Company, quartz miners, 1887. Chairman of Gay's Freehold Company, miners, 1887. Chairman of the Carroll Company, miners, 1886. Director of the North Plateau Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau, 1887. Director of the Northern Star Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau 1887. Director of the South Star Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau, 1887. Director of Owen's & Band of Hope Freehold and Leasehold Company, miners, 1887.
353, 354, 355
Carroll Company
Mining company
Smaller mining company operating in the gold fields in 1886.
354
Carty
Unknown
Lieutenant Carty was also Vice-President of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300
Carver
John Smith
Elected to the first council of Ballarat West Municipality, 14 January 1856.
243
Caselli
H.R.
Architect of District Orphan Asylum 1865. First Judge of Ballarat Yacht Club 1877.Designed the Ebenezer United Presbyterian Church, Armstrong Street in 1862. Designed St. James' Anglican Church, Little Bendigo, Ballarat in 1864 and Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Sebastopol 1867. Also designed the Welsh Presbyterian Church, Sebastopol 1865 and the Bible Christian Church, Skipton Street in 1866. Had died by 1887. Member of first committee Ballarat School of Mines 1870.
256, 261,266,269,271,276
Caselli & Figgis
N/A
Partnership of architects which designed the Congregational Church, Mair & Dawson Sts., Ballarat in 1882.
272
Cathcart
J.B.
Secretary and Treasurer of Ballarat Water Commission 1880s.
254
Catherall
E.
Vice-President of Imperial Football Club, Ballarat in 1886.
304
Cathie
John
Appointed delegate in 1857 to represent Ballarat at the Land Convention in Melbourne. Member for Ballarat East of Victorian Parliament 1862. Committee member of Mechanics' Institute 1859.
167, 175, 287
Catholic Apostolic Church
N/A
Purchased c 1887 the former Holy Trinity Congregational Church on Sturt Street west, Ballarat.
269
Cave
H.D.
Committee member of Ballarat Gun Club 1872.
305
Cazaly
Peter
First paid Secretary of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1860. Prominent in the formation and running of the Glee and Madrigal Union from 1866 to 1870.
261, 289
Central Plateau Company
Mining company
Operating on the Central plateau, Ballarat 1887.
354
Chalk
J.A.
Auditor of Ballarat District Hospital 1886. Manager of the Buninyong Estate Company, miners, in 1887. Manager of the Band & Barton Company mine, 1887. Manager of the Sebastopol Plateau Company 1887. Manager of the Prince of Wales & Bonshaw Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau 1887.
259, 350, 353, 354, 355
Chalmers
H.B.
Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat West election 20 February 1868.
330
Chalmers
J.C.
Vice-President of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1887.
292
Chamberlain
E.W.G.
Committee member, District Orphan Asylum 1887. President of same, 1872.
262,263
Chambers
J.C.
Vice-President of Imperial Football Club, Ballarat in 1886.
304
Charlie Napier Hotel
N/A
Popular hotel in Ballarat 1850s. There have been several Charlie Napier Hotels in Ballarat.
100, 103, 288
Charpiot
Madame
Operated as a daguerrotypist in Bridge Street, Ballarat 1870s
284
Chidlow
Thomas
Appointed to Ballarat Local Court 14 July 1855
186
Chinnery
R.
Vice-President of Imperial Football Club, Ballarat in 1886.
304
Chirnside
A.
From Werribee, Chirnside formed the Ballarat Hunt Club in 1881. Vice-President of Ballarat Coursing Club 1886.
304, 305
Choral Society
N/A
Created in 1866 with Carl Schmitt as its first and only conductor. It lasted only until after its first performance. Another Choral Society was formed in July 1873 with Mr. Bucke as Leader but it too, was short-lived.
289
Christ Church
Church of England
Lydiard Street, Ballarat. Building commenced 1854. Later at Dana Street, Ballarat. Church schoolhouse opened in 1868.
265
Christian Brothers' School
Skipton Street
Catholic systemic school operating in 1887.
275
Christie
L.S.
Member of first committee Ballarat School of Mines 1870.
276
Christie
W.
Committee member of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
303
Church of England, Ballarat Diocese.
N/A
Established in 1873 out of the Diocese of Victoria.
263
Churches
N/A
In 1870 there were 56 Churches in the City of Ballarat.
240
City Bank of Melbourne
Ballarat
Operating in Lydiard Street, between Dana & Mair Sts., Ballarat 1887.
277, 302
City of Melbourne Bank
N/A
Operating in Ballarat in at least 1886.
277
City Rowing Club
N/A
Established in 1871 and running strongly in 1887 with nearly 100 members.
255
City Volunteer Fire Brigade
Cnr. Sturt & Raglan Streets
Established in 1859 and operated a steam fire engine in 1887. It had taken over the responsibilities of the Sebastopol Brigade and had 40 members in 1887.
298
Clark
J.L.
Head Teacher at State School No. 1167 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Clarke
A.
Initial committee member of Ballarat Coursing Club 1873.
305
Clarke
Alfred
Acted as letter-carrier between Geelong and Buninyong in 1851
54
Clarke
W.
First Hon. Secretary of Ballarat Rowing Club 1861.
255
Clarke
W.D.
Vice-President of Ballarat Gun Club 1887.
305
Clarke
W.J.  (Sir)
Owner of Dowling Forest Estate on the western side of the Great Dividing Range in 1885. Leased 5000 acres to the Dowling Forest Estate Company for mining purposes in 1885. Trustee of Ballarat School of Mines 1886. Member of the Council of Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association in 1887.
229, 276, 279
Claxton
F.W.
Lieutenant in the Ballarat Militia Battalion, June 1884.
301
Claxton
Frederick Moses
Elected Mayor of the City of Ballarat, 1872/3, 1876/7, 1882/3. Member of Ballarat Water Commission 1880. President of Ballarat Rowing Club 1887. President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1878. President of Mechanics' Institute 1872 to 1875. Committee member of Ballarat Acclimatisation Society 1870.
243, 254, 255,259, 287, 306
Clegg
T.
President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1879.
259
Clendinning
Mrs.
Member of first committee of the Female Refuge, Ballarat c1867.
263
Clendinning  (Dr.)
George
Elected to the first Ballarat East Council 1 June 1857. Elected Chairman 1860 and Mayor in 1865.
247,248
Clifton
William
Killed at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. Aged 30, a native of Bristol, England
156
Clissold
S.T.
First President of the Ballarat Rowing Club 1861.
255
Clunes Quartz Mining Company
N/A
Formed by local miners c1857 and operated in cooperation with the Port Phillip & Colonial Gold Mining Co. until at least 1887.
219
Clyde Inn
Hotel
Named after the Clyde Company of Tasmania. On the old Geelong coach road.
3
Coates
T.C.
Secretary of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum c1870
261
Coghill
David
Early settler at Coghill's Creek area 1838. Grew and ground the first corn in the area.
Preface, 4
Coghlan
J.
Member of the Council of Ballarat Fine Art Public Gallery Association in 1887. Chairman of the Sir Henry Loch Company, mining near the Band & Albion Consols lease 1887.
279, 354
Cohen
S.
Committee member Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887.
261
Coleman
George
Pioneer settler in Buninyong 1840s
7
Coleman
J.F.
Attended a large meeting of diggers at Bakery Hill, Ballarat on 6 December 1854, after the Stockade affair.
134
Collins
C.W.  (Rev.)
First Minister of St. Thomas' Free Church of England, Macarthur Street, Ballarat, 1869.
269
Colonial Bank
Operating on Main Road, Ballarat in 1856. By 1887 was situated in Lydiard Street.
154, 302
Combe
Joseph
First Town Clerk of Ballarat West Municipality, January 1856.
243
Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd.
Ballarat
Operating on the corner of Sturt and Armstrong Sts., Ballarat in 1886
302
Commercial Club
Lydiard
Leased a building in Lydiard Street from the Juvenile Industrial Exhibition Trust for 40 years from c 1878.
297
Commons
F.W.
Captain of Ballarat Rowing Club 1887.
255
Congregational Church
Corner of Dawson & Mair Sts., Ballarat
First church was built of timber in Sturt Street but was sold in September 1861 and a brick church was built near the corner of Dawson and Mair Sts., opening on 21 March 1862.  Later church was designed by Caselli & Figgis.
272
Connor
E. Charles
Second Superintendent of the Reformatory for Boys, Ballarat, 1885.
308
Cooper
T.
Unsuccessful candidate for West Ballarat 29 January 1866.
330
Cooper
W.
Joint Owner and Editor of Ballarat Standard newspaper, first published 10 November 1856. Lasted 16 days. Committee member of Mechanics' Institute 1859.
63, 287
Corcoran
T.
Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East at election 29 January 1866.
333
Corkhill
W.
Early associate of Peter Lalor and member of committee for justice late 1854.
82
Cornwell
Alice  (Miss)
Leader in the establishment of the Midas mine and the Victoria United Company, miners, in 1887.
345, 359
Cornwell
George
Chairman of the original Dowling Forest Estate Company in the Midas area. Melbourne based.
229, 359
Cotter
James
Manager of the Hand and Band Company in at least 1875-1879. Irish born. Director of the Central Plateau Company, mining on the Central plateau 1887.
208, 354
Coutts
D.J.
Organist in 1887of the Musical Union formed in 1884.
290
Coutts
G.K.
Committee member Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887. Vice-President  in 1887of the Musical Union formed in 1884.
261, 290
Cowan
Thomas
Mayor of Ballarat City 1869/70. Laid the memorial stone for additions to Ballarat Town Hall on 14 January 1870.
244
Coward
J.
Hose Officer of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Cowley & Wilson
N/A
Photographers operating in Lydiard Street, Ballarat with a Mr. Rochlitz as an assistant. The "Wilson" of this partnership was John Noble Wilson (see his entry).
284
Cox
W.M.
Twice Head Teacher at State School No.2022 (see list) between 1878 and 1887.
274
Coxhead
Frederick
Wounded at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. Subsequently died in Melbourne's Benevolent Asylum May 1856. A native of London, a lawyer's clerk and aged 24 when he died.
126
Craddock
J.
Member of first committee, District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Craig's Hotel
Ballarat West
Operating in 1887 and originally known as Bath's Hotel.
142
Crannage
C.H.
Lieutenant of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Creighton
T.
Initial committee member of Ballarat Coursing Club 1873.
305
Creswick
Henry
Early settler at Ballarat. Creswick Creek named after him.
4
Critchley
Robert
Elected to Ballarat Mining Board 1858
187
Criterion Hotel
N/A
Red Hill, Ballarat. Although constructed of canvas, considered the finest hotel c1854.
79
Croft
Arthur
Gold miner who arrived in Ballarat in November 1852. Lola Montes visited his claim on the Gravel Pits.
120
Croker
J.
Second Secretary of Ballarat School of Mines, after 1870 and before 1887.
277
Crowe
Unknown
Wounded and subsequently died after Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From Scotland.
125
Cummins
M.J.
Member of first committee Ballarat Rowing Club, 1861. Original committee member Ballarat District Hospital 1855. Member of original committee of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. Member of the first Board of Ballarat Gas Company 1858.
255, 258, 260, 301
Cummins
R.T.  (Rev.)
Minister of Anglican Christ Church, Ballarat 1864.
266
Cummins
R.T. (Mrs.)
Member of first committee, Female Refuge, Ballarat c1867.
263
Cummins
Trooper
Member of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300
Cunningham
J.
Secretary of Imperial Football Club, Ballarat in 1886.
304
Curnow
T.
Secretary of City Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Curtain
Patrick
Captain of the pikemen, Eureka Stockade, 1854.
101
Curten
W.
Original member of Lewer's Freehold Company, formed on 22 July, 1872.
226
Curthoys
J.
Manager of the Sulieman Pasha Company, miners, in 1887.
347
Curtis
James
One of a party of eight Geelong men who signed an early cooperative mining agreement, 8 October 1851. Later became a printer and stationer in Armstrong Street, Ballarat. Committee member of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887. Committee member, District Orphan Asylum 1887. Director of the Prince Regent Company, miners, in 1887. Director of the Sebastopol Plateau Company 1887.
202, 203, 261,262, 350, 354
Cuthbert
C.D.
Designed the second Council Chambers (first Town Hall) for Ballarat City, started in August 1860. Also designed the Town Hall for Ballarat East in 1860. Designed the second part of Ballarat District Hospital 1866. Designed St. Peter's Anglican Church, Ballarat and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church 1862. Later lived in Fiji.
244, 248, 258,266
Cuthbert
Henry
Solicitor. Re-elected to the Legislative Council 1884 and 1886 for Wellington Province. Laid the foundation stone for the second part of Ballarat District Hospital New Year's Day 1866. Member of first committee for District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866. Honorary Solicitor for District Orphan Asylum 1887. Honorary Solicitor for Ballarat School of Mines 1886. President of the German Lieder Krantz in 1886.  Trustee of freehold for Ballarat Turf Club 1886.
184, 217, 258, 262, 277, 289, 304
Cutter
E.
Committee member of Wendourie Rowing Club 1887. Possibly a coachbuilder in Chancery Lane 1887.
256, 294
Cutter
L.
Committee member of Ballarat Rowing Club 1887. Possibly a coachbuilder in Chancery Lane 1887.
255, 294
D.S. Campbell & Wooley
N/A
Opened first store at Buninyong 1840s at Round Water Holes, near "Bonshaw"
7
Daly
James
Local Court member and involved in setting up Ballarat District Hospital 1850s. Laid the foundation stone Christmas day 1855. Police Magistrate and Mining Warden. Original committee member Ballarat District Hospital 1855. First Lieutenant of the Ballarat Rangers, a local militia in 1858.
xiv, 256, 258, 299
Dana
Mr.
Resident Commissioner, Mount Alexander diggings, December 1851
43
Dane
John
Board member and Chairman of Prince of Wales Company, Sebastopol 2 December 1870
205
D'Angri
N.
Professional committee member of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1887.
292
D'Arcy
Unknown
Surveyor in the first exploring party to Ballarat area, August 1837
1
Dark
J.W.
Apparatus Officer of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Date
E.P.
Head Teacher at Orphanage State School (see list) between 1866 and 1887. President of Mechanics' Institute 1888.
274,287
Davidson
R.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. Member of first committee Ballarat Rowing Club, 1861.
255, 260
Davie
J.M.
Director of the Prince Regent Company, miners, in 1887.
350
Davies
A.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. Second Lieutenant of cavalry of the Ballarat Rangers, a local militia in 1858.
260, 299
Davies
D.
Committee member of the Cambrian Society, May 1887. Committee member of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
289, 303
Davies
D.W.
Committee member of the Cambrian Society, May 1887.
289
Davies
J.M.
Original member of Lewer's Freehold Company, formed on 22 July, 1872.
226
Davies & Graham's Boot Factory
Armstrong Street
Operating in at least 1887. One of the larger booteries in Ballarat at the time.
297
Davies & Graham's Tannery
Buninyong
Operating in at least 1887. One of the larger tanneries in Ballarat at the time.
297
Daws
E.
Original member of Lewer's Freehold Company, formed on 22 July, 1872.
226
Daws
G.
Original member of Lewer's Freehold Company, formed on 22 July, 1872.
226
Day's Bacon Factory
N/A
Operating in at least 1887. Said by the author to have to have produced hams, flitches and sausages which have "made the makers baconically famous".
297
Dean
J.B.
Director of the Carroll Company, miners, 1886. Director of Owen's & Band of Hope Freehold and Leasehold Company, miners, 1887.
354, 355
Deeble
S. (Trooper)
Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East at election 16 March 1871. Secretary of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300, 333
Deegan
Michael
Secretary of the Hibernian Society 1868.
307
Dennant
J.
Head Teacher at State School No.1289 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Dennison, Wynne and Hepburn
Doveton Street north
Operated a woolen mill in 1887 in Ballarat which started as Wilson & Co.
294
Dewer
A.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857.
260
Dewes
John
Police Magistrate in Ballarat 1854. Dismissed over the Scobie murder and subsequent inquiry
90, 102
Diamond
John
Killed at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. A native of Co. Clare, Ireland.
125
Dibdin
T.
Provisional Director of the Leviathan Syndicate Company, awaiting registration in mid-1887
355
Dickinson
Thomas
Elected to first Sebastopol Council, Ballarat on 12 December 1864. Elected Mayor 1868/71.
249
Dickson
R.
Committee member and Secretary of Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society on 15 August 1856.
290
Dignam
Thomas
Acquitted on the charge of high treason after the Eureka Stockade incident, on 1 April 1855
143
Dill
J.H.
Manager of the New Koh-i-Noor Company, miners, 1887.
353
Dillon
Dominick
Friend and agent of Peter Lalor. In 1866 400 free shares in the Australasian Company were transferred to Dillon, reputedly on account of Lalor.
171
Dimant
A.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857.
260
Dimsey
W.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. Trustee of Benevolent Asylum 1887.
260, 261
Dimsey
W.T.
Head Teacher at State School No.1167 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Dingle, Laverick & Co.
Creswick Road
Operated a farm implement factory before 1887.
294
Disciples of Christ Church
Dawson Street
Brick church opened in June 1865 from a design of J.A. Doane.
272
District Orphan Asylum
N/A
Opened on 8 July 1866 in Victoria Street, Ballarat . Established by the licensed victuallers of Ballarat and designed by H.R. Caselli. In 1886, with a capacity for 300, it held 72 male and 49 female orphans.
261
Ditchburn
R.
Committee member of Ballarat Rowing Club 1887.
255
Dixie
J.
One of the original Trustees and Treasurer of Ballarat District Hospital 1855.
258
Doane
Joseph Attwood
Architect of the second and subsequent portions of Ballarat Benevolent Hospital, opened 1860 to 1886. President of Benevolent Asylum 1868. Architect of two Primitive Methodists Churches, on corner of Eyre & Lyons Sts., and Beverin St., Sebastopol, both in 1868. Designed nine of the eleven Wesleyan Methodist Churches in Ballarat. Designed the Baptist Church, Dawson Street in 1866 and the Congregational Church in 1862. Committee member of the Philharmonic Musical Society which ran from 1858 to 1863. Member for Ballarat West at election 27 March 1869
289, 330
Doane & Ringwood
N/A
Builders of the first City of Ballarat Council Chambers 1855/6 in Sturt Street on the site of the former District Police Court. Destroyed by fire before 1860.
244
Dobson
J.J.
Committee member of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887.
256
Dodds
J.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857. Committee member of Mechanics' Institute 1859.
260, 287
Don
R.
Director of the Prince Regent Company, miners, in 1887.
350
Donaghey
John/George
Killed at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. A native of Muff, Co. Donegal, Ireland
125
Donaghy
J.
Director of the Sir Henry Loch Company, mining near the Band & Albion Consols lease 1887.
354
Donald
Robert
Appointed to Ballarat Local Court 14 July 1855
186
Donnelly
S.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857.
260
Douglas
J.A.
First President of Ballarat District Hospital committee of management 1855/56.
258
Douglass
Alfred  (Snr)
Early gold miner Fryer's Creek, Ballarat November 1851
41
Doveton
Mr.
Resident Commissioner, Mount Alexander diggings, December 1851
43
Dowling Forest Estate Company
N/A
Formed in approx. 1885 and leased 5000 acres of the Dowling Forest Estate from Sir. W.J. Clarke for mining.
229
Downes
F.C.
Second President of the Ballarat Stock Exchange c1870. President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1873. President of Mechanics' Institute 1870s.
237, 258, 287
Downie
W.
Elected Hon. Secretary of Ballarat Yacht Club 22 October 1878 and still in office 1887.
256
Doyle
D.J.
Secretary of the Hibernian Australian Catholic Benefit Society in 1887.
308
Doyle
Rev. Father
Committee member Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887.
261
Doyle
T.
Original committee member of Ballarat District Hospital 1855.
258
Drake
E.
Trustee of funds, District Orphans Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Draper
D.J.  (Rev.)
Preached the first sermon in Wesley Church, Ballarat on 18 July 1858. Unfortunately, Reverend Draper later drowned when the steamer "London" foundered in the Bay of Biscay 11 January 1866.
270
Drew
F.H.
Trustee of Ballarat Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Drury
A.
President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1861-1864.
258
Duchess of Kent Hotel
N/A
Operating 1854 in Main Road, Ballarat by Mrs Spanhake.
147
Duck
G.
Head Teacher at State School No.2043 (see list) between 1878 and 1887.
274
Duncan
Gilbert
Member of first committee, District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Duncan
Henry
In a party of six from Geelong, the first to sign a cooperative mining agreement, 22 September, 1851.
202
Dunlop
John
Aged 75 when he came to Buninyong in 1851 for gold
32
Dunn
J.
Secretary of the German Lieder Krantz in 1881.
289
Dunn
Thomas
Co- discovered gold at Golden Point, Ballarat in 1851.
28
Dunn
W.
Member of first committee, District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Dunne
J.H.
Member of first committee Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1857.
260
Duthie
R.M.
Treasurer of Ballarat Football Club 1886.
303
Dynan
Dennis
Wounded at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From Co.Clare, Ireland.
125
Dyte
Charles
Member for Ballarat East 1865 in Victorian Parliament. Elected Chairman of Ballarat East Council 1862. Laid the foundation stone for the Ballarat East Town Hall 26 December 1861. Committee member, District Orphan Asylum 1887. Laid the foundation stone for Hebrew Synagogue, Princes Street, Ballarat on 25 January 1861.
180, 248, 262,271
Eastwood
Edward
Mayor of Ballarat East Council 1870.
248
Eastwood
F.H.
Honorary Physician, Ballarat District Hospital 1886.
259
Ebenezer United Presbyterian Church
N/A
Construction began 10 December 1862 on Armstrong Street south, Ballarat.
267
Eddy
James
Member of first committee, District Orphan Asylum, Ballarat 1866. Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat West election 22 May 1869 and for Ballarat East on 29 February 1868.
262, 331, 333
Edwards
C.H.
Original committee member of Ballarat District Hospital 1855.
258
Edwards
John
Elected to first Sebastopol Council, Ballarat on 12 December 1864. Elected Mayor 1870.
249
Edwards
Owen Edward
Member of the group which purchased the Egerton mine from the Learmonth family in 1873. Welsh born. First Commodore of Ballarat Yacht Club 1877. Committee member Ballarat District Hospital board 1886. Committee member Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887. Director of the Prince of Wales & Bonshaw Company, miners on the Sebastopol plateau 1887.
209, 256, 259, 261, 355
Elliott
H.F.
Committee member and Treasurer of South Ballarat Football Club 1886.
304
Elliott
M.
One of original Trustees and committee members of Ballarat District Hospital 1855.
258
Elliott
W.
Committee member of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1859.
292
Ellis
William
Said to be Ballarat's first photographer.Originally a bricklayer, he migrated from Liverpool, via Natal to Melbourne in 1853. Learnt photography while at Red Hill from 1855.
283
Ellsworth
Joseph H.
Elected Mayor of Sebastopol Council, Ballarat 1877, 1884 and 1885. Possibly operating a bone mill at the upper end of Pennyweight Gully in 1887.
249, 295
Elvins
J.
Head Teacher at State School No. 1167 (see list) between 1875 and 1887.
274
Embling
J.
Chairman of the New Koh-i-Noor Company, quartz miners, 1887.
353
Emmerman
William/Wilhelm
Killed at Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. A native of Hanover.
157
Endeavour Company
Mining company
Formed by Messrs. Balhausen and Goller. Taken over by the Last Chance Company in 1882.
344
Engeler
A.
Amateur committee member of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1887.

Esmond
James William
Original gold finder Ballarat fields (Clunes), June/July 1851 - later with Lalor
Preface,xiii
Eva
P.
Head Teacher at State School No.2093 (see list) between 1878 and 1887.
274
Evans
Captain
Superintendent of the Reformatory for Boys, Ballarat, 1870s.
308
Evans
J.  (Rev.)
Opened the Welsh Presbyterian Church, Sebastopol April 1866.
269
Evans
W.M.  (Rev.)
Opened the Welsh Presbyterian Church, Sebastopol April 1866.
269
Evans & Barker
N/A
Builders of Ballarat Town Hall, commenced August 1860. Opened 1 February 1861. Also constructed Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1859/60.
244, 259
Eyre
Mr.
Resident Commissioner, Mount Alexander diggings, December 1851
43
Eyres
C.
Treasurer of the German Lieder Krantz in 1886.
289
Eyres
T.
Committee member of Ballarat Gun Club 1872.
305
Eyres
W.
Honorary Treasurer, Ballarat District Hospital 1886
259
Farmer's Bacon Factory
N/A
Operating in at least 1887. Said by the author to have to have produced hams, flitches and sausages which have "made the makers baconically famous".
297
Farming
Trooper
Member of the Ballarat Rangers Rifle Club 1873.
300
Farr
J.  (Rev.)
First ordained Minister of the United Welsh Protestant Church, Lydiard and Armstrong Sts., Ballarat 1858. Opened the Welsh Presbyterian Church, Sebastopol April 1866.
269
Fawcett
Robert
Early gold miner Ballarat in September 1851.
41
Female Refuge
N/A
Established originally (c1867) in Grant Street, Ballarat, it was later (by 1887) operating in Dyte's Parade. Under the management of a committee of ladies and a matron. The Dyte's Parade site was a gift of James Oddie.
263
Fennelly
R.F.X. (Rev.)
Catholic Priest at St. Patrick's Church, Ballarat in 1858.
267
Fenton
Unknown
Wounded and subsequently died after Eureka Stockade, Sunday 3 December 1854. From England.
125
Fenton, Coldrey & Co.
N/A 
Operated a photography business in the Main Road, Ballarat, near the horse bazaar, 1870s.
284
Ferguson
John
Mayor of Ballarat East Council 1882/3. Vice-President of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1887. Committee member, District Orphan Asylum 1887. President District Orphan Asylum 1884.
248, 261, 262,263
Fern
D.
Director of the Sebastopol Plateau Company 1887.
354
Fern
H.
Secretary of Soldiers' Hill Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Figgis
C.D.
Designed the Lutheran Church in Doveton Street south in 1876.Architect of the tower and spire of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Ballarat 1884. Designed the Mining Exchange 1888.
267, 273, 313
Figgis
S.
Secretary of Ballarat Gas Company, c1870s. Father of W.H. Figgis.
301
Figgis
S.E.
Engineer at Ballarat Gas Company, sometime between 1883 and 1887.
301
Figgis
W.H.
Secretary of Ballarat Gas Company, c1880s. Son of S. Figgis.
301
Fincham
G.R.
Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat East 1871. Member for Ballarat West at election 6 November 1875.
331
Fink
B.J.
Director of the Rothschild Company, miners, in 1887.
350
Finlay
John
First Superintendent, District Orphans Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Finlay
John
Miner who suggested the "frontage" system of claims 1855. Wrote to the Ballarat Star as "Peeping Tom"
195
Finlay
Catherine
First Matron, District Orphans Asylum, Ballarat 1866.
262
Finlayson
C.B.
Unsuccessful candidate for Ballarat West at election 28 February 1880.Vice-President of the German Lieder Krantz in 1881. President of Ballarat Cricket Club 1887.
289, 303, 331
Finnegan
J.
Committee member of South Ballarat Football Club 1886.
304
Fisher
David
Member of Clyde Company, Tasmania; early settlers 1838.
3
Fisher
David
Manager of Derwent Company, Tasmania; in first exploring party, August 1837
1
Fisken
Archibald
Early settler at Lal Lal
Preface,3
Fitzgerald
C.
Early gold miner Ballarat in August 1851.
29
Fitzgerald
Charles
Treasurer of the Hibernian Australian Catholic Benefit Society in 1887.
308
Fitzgerald
J.J.
Treasurer of City Rowing Club, Ballarat 1887. President of Ballarat District Hospital board 1881. President of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum 1879/80.
255, 259, 260
Fitzherbert
J.
Second Librarian of Ballarat Public Library 1870s.
286
Fitzpatrick
D.
Committee member, District Orphan Asylum 1887. President of same, 1881. Vice-President of Lal Lal Race Club 1887.
262, 263, 304
Fletcher
Thomas
Jointly burned down Bentley's Hotel 1854 after murder of James Scobie. Later co-owned a printing office in (old) Main Road, now called Bridge Street.
92, 281
Fleury
A.
Leader of the Philharmonic Musical Society which ran from 1858 to 1863.
289
Foord's Bacon Factory
N/A
Operating in at least 1887. Said by the author to have to have produced hams, flitches and sausages which have "made the makers baconically famous".
297
Ford
Richard
Succeeded Joseph Combe to become second Town Clerk of Ballarat West Municipality, c1870. By 1887 , he was a Railway Commissioner.
243
Ford
W.H.
Committee member of Pigeon Shooting Club 1861.
305
Forster
C.
Captain of the Ballarat Rangers, a local militia in 1858. Governor of Ballarat Gaol, c1860
89, 299
Foster
W.H.(Henry)
Gold Commissioner Ballarat 1854 and later a mining warden and police magistrate. Involved in setting up Ballarat District Hospital 1850s. One of the original Trustees of Ballarat District Hospital 1855 as well as Treasurer. President 1865. Committee member of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1859.
89, 258, 292
Francis
J.
Builder of the second part of Ballarat Benevolent Asylum opened 10 June 1862.
260
Francis
Jno/Jonathan
One of a party of eight men from Geelong who signed a cooperative mining agreement, 8 October 1851. Later became proprietor of the Creswick Advertiser newspaper. Died accidentally in a water hole at Sulky Gully.
202, 203
Franklin
Joseph
Foreman at Rowlands & Lewis' Ballarat factory, the premier cordial factory in Ballarat, from 1855 to at least 1887.
296
Franz
C.
Committee member of the Philharmonic Musical Society which ran from 1858 to 1863.
289
Fraser
A.
Treasurer of Ballarat Horticultural Society 1887.
292
Fraser
J.C.
Apparatus Officer of City Volunteer Fire Brigade 1886.
298
Fraser
John
Early gold digger at Dalton's Flat, Ballarat, pre 1854. Actual writer and part author of the misleading letter "Vern's Farewell to Victoria, published in The Age after the Stockade incident. Vern never left Victoria.
145, 147
Frazer
William
Original committee member Benevolent Society 1857. Elected to Ballarat Mining Board 1858. Member for Talbot (Clunes and Creswick) 1865. Formerly Justice of the Ballarat Local Court. Committee member of Mechanics' Institute 1859.
179, 187, 260, 287
Free Trade Hotel
Operating in 1854 at the time of the Stockade.
109
Fry & Co., Limited
Wendouree
Operating a steam flour mill in 1887.
295
Fussell
John
Mayor of Ballarat East Council 1864.
248
Fyffe
Alexander
Replaced Henry Duncan in a cooperative mining agreement dated 22 September, 1851.
202
Fyson
S.
Original member of Lewer's Freehold Company, formed on 22 July, 1872.
225


Return to main page