ALVINGTON is a village and parish, on the western bank of the river Severn and on the high road from Newnham to Chepstow, 2 miles north from Woolastone station on the Gloucester and South Wales section of the Great Western railway, nine-and-a-half south west from Newnham, six-and-a-half north-east from Chepstow and two-and-a-half south-west from Lydney, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, hundred of Bledisloe, union and county court district of Chepstow, petty sessional division of Lydney, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese and Bristol.
The soil is gravelly; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,498 acres of land and 500 of water; rateable value £2,815; the population in 1891 was 498.
Parish Clerk, George Harris.
Post & Telegraph Office - Mrs. Mary Ann Lewis, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched 5.20 p.m. through Lydney, which is the nearest money order office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
National School (mixed), with residence, built by D. Higford Davall Burr esq., for 90 children; average attendance, 61; Miss Bellina Collinson, mistress.
MARLING Walter Bentley (Capt. 4th Batt. Glostersh. Reg.) (J. P. for Glostersh. & Mon.), Clanna
GILLESPIE Thos. Paterson, Clanna cot
TOWNSEND Rev. William M. A., (curate in charge)
DAVIS William, miller (water), Alvington mill
BRADFORD John, farmer, Alvington crt
DAVIS William, wheelwright
EDWARDS John, carpenter
EVANS John, blacksmith
LAWRENCE Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
LEWIS Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Post office
McDONALD James, head gardener to Capt. W. B. Marling J. P., Clanna
PHILLIPS John, farmer, Glebe farm
ROBINS John, shopkeeper
RYMER Edgar, farmer, Barnage farm
SNELL Charles, farmer
TAYLOR Thomas, farmer, Court end
THORNE Phoebe (Mrs.), beer retailer
WINTOUR James, Globe inn & farmer
WINTOUR Worthington, farmer, Parks
WOODROFFE Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Severn lodge
WORKMAN Charles, grocer