Kelly's Directory of Bream 1894


 BREAM is a village and tithing in the civil parish of Newland, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from the parish of Newland and West Dean township June 16th, 1854; it is one mile from Whitecroft station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge railway, three-and-a-half north-west from Lydney station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, four-and-a-half south-east from Coleford and nine-south-east from Monmouth, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, petty sessional division of Coleford, hundred of St. Briavels, and union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. James, partially rebuilt in 1861, chiefly at the cost of Miss Alice Davies, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western turret containing 1 bell: the east and west windows are stained; the latter was erected by the parishoners as a memorial to the Rev. J. F. Gosling, late vicar, and there is another in the chancel erected by his brothers: the communion plate includes a silver chalice and paten dated 1680, the gift of James Gough, gentleman: in 1891, the south porch was rebuilt, a new window inserted, a chancel aisle erected, the vestry enlarged, and the seats re-arranged, now affording sittings for 500 persons. The register, from the year 1680, is included in that of Newland, but there is a separate register from 1823. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £370, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and held since 1882 by the Rev. Henry Edward Dandy M. A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was built in 1861. There is a Mission church at Yorkley Wood, seating 120 persons. There are Bible Christian and Primitive Methodist chapels at Breams Eaves, and a Wesleyan chapel at Bream. The charities, amounting to £40 annually, are distributed to the poor. South of the village are some very interesting ancient Roman mines, called "Scowles," one part of which is known as the "Devil's Chapel." The manor belongs to the Crown. The Crown and Charles Bathurst esq., of Lydney Park are the principal landowners. The soil is light gravelly; subsoil, sandstone, limestone and iron ore. The land is chiefly pasture. The population in 1891 was 2,023.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Batten.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office - Richard Tilsley Heighway, sub-postmaster.

NATIONAL SCHOOL (mixed), built in 1862, and enlarged with new class room in 1893, for about 300 children; average attendance, mixed, 135; infants, 96; W. F. Mullan, master; Miss Durnell, infants' mistress; there is a residence for the master.

Private Residents:-

DANDY Rev. Hy. Edwd. M. A., Vicarage

HUGHES James, Breams Cross

JARRETT Edgar, Breams Eaves

PETERS George Fredk., Lydney road

REYNOLDS Arthur, Bream lodge



AMES James, blacksmith

BAKER William, beer retailer

BATTEN Albert John, grocer & draper

BATTEN Thomas, shoe maker

BENNETT Thomas, Cross Keys P. H.

BILLY Thomas, beer retailer


BREAM SUPPLY STORES (Jarrett & Dykins, proprs.), Breams Eaves

CAMM William, grocer & draper

DOBBS John, carpenter, Breams Eaves

ELMORE Sarah (Mrs.), haulier

HEIGHWAY Richard Tilsley, grocer & draper, Post office

HEWLETT Annie (Miss), New inn

HOOPER James, fish & fruit dealer

HUGHES Jas., frmr, Bream Cross farm

HIRST Brothers, grocers & drapers, Breams Eaves

KEAR Hester (Mrs.), dress maker

LOGAN John Alexander, colliery proprietor, Langetts

MACFARLANE Frederick, grocer &c

MORSE Charles, builder & wheelwright

MORSE Thomas, Rising Sun P. H. & colliery proprietor

MUSGROVE Samuel, Oakwood Mill inn

OAKWOOD CHEMICAL WORKS (John Priest, manager)

OAKWOOD IRON CO. (David North, agt)

PAYNE James, shoe maker

PEARCE Eliza (Mrs.), iron founder, Oakwood foundry

PHILLIPS John, baker & grocer

SHINGLES John Robt., King's Head P. H.

SMITH Geo., stone mer., Breams Eaves

SMITH John, clothier

SMITH William, butcher, Breams Eaves

TAYLOR George, plasterer

TEAGUE Thomas, shoe maker, Breams Eaves

WATKINS Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper

WATKINS Frederick, lime burner

WATKINS Richard, iron ore proprietor

WILDIN Edward, farmer

WILDIN Elizabeth (Miss), dressmaker

WILDIN George Hathaway, butcher

WILDIN Samuel, farmer, Court farm

WILLIAMS Daniel, stone merchant

YARWORTH Harry, butcher