clearwell1902
 
Kelly's Directory of Clearwell - 1902 

 

 

 

CLEARWELL is a village and tithing, formed April 18, 1836 into an ecclesiastical parish from the civil parish of Newland: it is on the road from Coleford to Chepstow, 2 1/2 miles south from Coleford station on the Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge and Great Western railways, and 6 miles south-east from Monmouth, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, hundred of St. Briavels, county court district of Monmouth, union of Monmouth, petty sessional division of Coleford, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. This place was formerly called "Clowerwell." and at one time "Wellington," and takes its name from the beautiful spring which supplies the village, and which has never been known to fail. The church of St. Peter, erected through the munificence of the late Dowager Countess of Dunraven, and consecrated April 5th, 1866, is a building of local red sandstone, with Bath stone dressings, in the French Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, cleristoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch, organ chamber and vestry on the north side, and a tower with a spire at the south-west angle containing a clock and 4 bells: the chancel has a credence table, sedilia, and richly ornamented reredos, the latter being a memorial to Capt. the Hon. Windham Henry Wyndham Quin, Grenadier Guards, who died 24th October, 1865, erected by his widow: the stained east window was placed to the memory of Countess of Dunraven: the pulpit is enriched with symbolical panels and medallion heads of Evangelists and Prophets, the ground work being exquisitely diapered: the lower stage of the tower serves as a baptistery: the font consists of an octagonal basin on a shaft of polished red granite: there are 390 sittings. The register dates from the year 1830. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £225, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and held since 1837 by the Rev. Howard Lewis Parry M.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1852. There is a Cemetery, three-quarters of an acre in extent, with a mortuary chapel erected in 1867, upon the site of the old church, from designs by Mr. J. Middleton, architect. The beautiful village cross, restored in 1876, is supposed to be of the 14th century. The Scowls, or old mines (considered to be Roman) at Dean Pool, in this parish, are very interesting. Clearwell Court, the residence of Henry Ellis Collins esq. is an ancient stone building, in a park of 95 acres, and commands extensive views of the surrounding country. The Crown is lord of the manor. Henry Ellis Collins esq. is the principal landowner. The soil is loamy and gravelly; subsoil clayey, sandstone and limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The population of the parish in 1891 was 999. Parish Clerk, John Richards.

 

POST OFFICE - Mrs. Elizabeth Howell, sub-postmistress. Letters through Coleford are delivered at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Coleford, 3 miles distant.

 

National School (mixed & infants), built with master's residence, in 1858, chiefly by the late Dowager Countess of Dunraven and enlarged in 1867, for 150 children: average attendance, 73 mixed and 42 infants; John E. Roach, master.

 

COOPER Arthur Purton, Weatherall, Perry grove

COOPER Miss, Perry grove

DIXON Mark Thomas J. P. Scatterford

FRYER William Henry, Rose bank

GARDNER Lt. Col, Alan Colstoun, Clearwell castle

GODDARD Rev. Charles F, Vicarage

LANGHAM Miss, Mill end

PAYNE Richd. Townsend, Lambs quay

 

COMMERCIAL

BARNETT James, farmer, Stock farm

BARROWS James, beer retailer, Stow

BROWN William, boot maker

CREED Charles, Butcher's Arms P.H.

EDWARDS George, beer retailer

FOX James, market gardener

GRIFFITH James, farmer

HARRIS James, beer retailer

HARRIS Samuel Eli, farmer, Stow farm

JONES Edmund, carpenter

JONES George, grocer & baker

KEYSE Charles, Ore Pool inn

KEYSE Maynard Luther, Wyndham Arms P.H.; good accommodation for cyclists & tourists

MATTHEWS Richard, shopkeeper

MILES Henry, farmer, Caudle

MILES James, farmer, Noxon

MILES James, farmer, Stow

MILES John, jun., farmer, Platwell

MILES Thomas, blacksmith & farmer

POWELL David, farmer

REES Alfred & Son, farmers

REES Sarah (Mrs.), grocer & prov. dlr

RICHARDS John, shoe maker

SIMMONS William, farmer, Platwell

TEAGUE Jas. M., farmer, Trowgreen & Court farms

THOMAS Geo., farmer, Tannery farm

YARK Thomas, cowkeeper, Stark farm

YARWORTH William, butcher & tanner

 

Back